THE BROWNS BOARD

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

Tour2ma

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things kinda' bugged me.

I didn't think Hue had to carry on about how he was the boss in that coaches meeting.  A simple statement about why he made his decision was all that was called for.

It seems like the coaches (and Landry) want players practicing and not taking days off.  Probably not gonna improve your play standing on the sidelines during practice.

Hue questioned what time Baker gets in to work in the morning.  Hmmmm....

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

It was honestly a stupid comment from hue considering Haley has been a head coach previously. Either way expect Haley to butt heads with people, it's what he does.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

A few things kinda' bugged me.

I didn't think Hue had to carry on about how he was the boss in that coaches meeting.  A simple statement about why he made his decision was all that was called for.

It seems like the coaches (and Landry) want players practicing and not taking days off.  Probably not gonna improve your play standing on the sidelines during practice.

Hue questioned what time Baker gets in to work in the morning.  Hmmmm....

It would behoove Hue Jackson to remember that both his offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator have been head coaches in the past. Neither one, that I can recall, ever went 0-16.

It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

1 minute ago, The Cysko Kid said:

It would behoove Hue Jackson to remember that both his offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator have been head coaches in the past. Neither one, that I can recall, ever went 0-16.

Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

Just now, MCGAHEE21 said:

But u are responding, like a child....

If i wear the same shirt as you to get validation, how would you view me as a man???

How many different types of hats do you think that they have made up for 2018 training camp? 

I'll answer this for you. One. They made up one kind of hat for 2018 training camp. They made up one hat. You don't like it. Fine. Just say you don't like the hat and quit polluting the board with this nonsense. 

Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

3 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

Fortunately the guys actually running their sides of the ball are fully capable of nailing players against the wall until they do it right. And we obviously have a GM also fully capable of shipping out poisonous attitudes. So having a "father confessor" may work just fine. As long as he does not interfere with what his staff is doing where the rubber meets the road, he can smooth the waters they churn up and praise 'em when the actually "get it". I really don't have a problem with it. So every now and then he can just say "WTF is happening out here", "good guy" can actually come across as disappointed and not an pooper. Disappointment can be a hell of a motivator for players who really want to be the best, especially when it comes from the "good guy cop". 

BTW one of my favorite scenes was when Myles was actually doing his job, but got to Mayfield on a dive for a fumble hitting him somewhat accidentally. The GM says "Stay off the QB's." And Myles tells another player laughingly, "I was trying too, honestly. I didn't wanta hit'em."" Thought that one was funny.

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Greg's players weren't too attentive during the 'tea party' scene.  

I thought it was great. Like a lot of you, I dont normally get HBO, so I got a free months subscription on HBO Now, and I can watch it on any device including my smart TV..

I am certainly pulling hard for Hue, but I did find the "until you sit in this chair" scene a little awkward, as he has three ex head coaches on his staff, including the guy questioning him, Haley, who took a team to the playoffs. 

But you cant blame a guy for doing things "his way", let's just hope it turns out to be the right way for once.

Not enough can be said for Jarvis Landry.

Don't shed a tear for Nassib if he doesn't have a long career,  that dude will be fine. He'll be counting his money long after the guys that spend a month on Instagram get taken to the cleaners by an IG "model".

Z

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

Every number, every statistic says Mayfield was far and away the better qb than those guys but you would have been more comfortable with them? I don't see how. Because they're a few inches taller I guess. That's literally the only thing where either of them beats Mayfield.

10 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

So, what you are saying is that  Hue does not like to be an pooper, but Williams and Haley are fully comfortable being assholes?  :lol:

btw someone earlier questioned whether nassib made any plays or was around the ball at all in any of that footage. So go vack and watch the episode and ffw to the first full contact scrimmage. The VERY FIRST FRAMES of said footage showed #94 silly shedding either the RT or a TE, couldnt tell, and blowing up the runner. It was literally the first play they showed

6 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I think next episode shows the Coleman trade.

I think the preview mentioned "big trade" or something like that. :o

17 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I'm not sitting through this whole thread to see if anyone else did  but I posted the legit whole episode like five posts back. 

Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fortunately the guys actually running their sides of the ball are fully capable of nailing players against the wall until they do it right. And we obviously have a GM also fully capable of shipping out poisonous attitudes. So having a "father confessor" may work just fine. As long as he does not interfere with what his staff is doing where the rubber meets the road, he can smooth the waters they churn up and praise 'em when the actually "get it". I really don't have a problem with it. So every now and then he can just say "WTF is happening out here", "good guy" can actually come across as disappointed and not an pooper. Disappointment can be a hell of a motivator for players who really want to be the best, especially when it comes from the "good guy cop". 

BTW one of my favorite scenes was when Myles was actually doing his job, but got to Mayfield on a dive for a fumble hitting him somewhat accidentally. The GM says "Stay off the QB's." And Myles tells another player laughingly, "I was trying too, honestly. I didn't wanta hit'em."" Thought that one was funny.

Will they show the complete Hue\Dorsey reaming out Callaway in one of the episodes? That would be "Must See" TV.   :D  

3 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

That's YouTube's problem not this board's

It's the way everyone does business now.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, Orion said:

Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

lol... nothing like knowing your personnel!

On 8/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

Good observation...

Add the early see with Hue addressing the team... say something to which he expected a response... says, "I can't hear you."... than seems satisfied by a few muttering something under their breath.

He needed to jump their sh!t right then and there, but let it slide.

Just watched it last night...

Nassib going all Joe Pesci in Goodfellas during his enlightening financial discussion was possibly the whitest thing I've seen in a minute. "Hey, I'm the only white guy here talking to a bunch of black guys. I guess I need to say F U C K every other word so they'll take me seriously!" :D 

I seriously question the long term viability of Hue and Haley working together. 

Landry is good at catching the pigskin. 

Hue might be a mediocre head coach, but is a good guy. But man, the guy couldn't inspire a drowning man to jump on a life boat. His speeches to the team were just bad. 

John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

On 8/8/2018 at 7:49 PM, Tour2ma said:

Going throw in a few impression/ thoughts and questions based on mullings over last nite's viewing before I take in the thread....

I plan to watch the episode again.

Impressions/ Thoughts:

• Loved the stripes coming off... will we appear stripeless Thursday nite?
  • Haley and Hue are going to have issues.
  • Appears we have leaders on both sides of the ball: Landry and Kirk.
  • Note to Higgins and the other WRs not named Landry... LESS ADMIRATION! MORE EMULATION!!
  • Greg Williams is one funny sumbitch... but seems to will himself to be an a$$. Kinda artificial...
  • The above seems to come naturally to Haley.
  • Hue is soft.
  • Chuckled at the contrast between Baker's arrival and Chubb's...
  • The mass Lake Erie plunge was lame bordering on gay.
  • Good to hear Myles is still working with BRUCE! But Willie wouldn't be a bad teach either...
  • Bito's rockin' the JT beard... now just rock his position.

Questions:

• Is the HC "chair" really that different? Aren't Coordinators impacted by players who are not available?
  • Is having a leader on O other than the QB a good thing?
  • Is Jarvis going to be our only decent WR? Only decent receiver period? (At least until Duke is used more at the position.)
  • 10% interest? Where does Nassib do his banking?

Well done - glad to see you back in regular season form already! 

I'm not sure who the guys are that keep getting permission to miss practices for bumps and bruises during the 2-a-days but I could definitely understand the frustration of the Coordinators and position coaches.  In fact, Landry was telling a room full of missing brain cells (at the WR position) every time they're finding reasons to miss practices and reps - that's increasing the reps and chances of injury to those that have to double their reps because of it.  I had flashbacks to an old Star Trek episode where they visited a planet where nobody had any brains rendering it impossible to communicate.  Or was that summer school?

FWIW, I don't see ANY problem to Hue wanting an experienced guy like Landry or someone else that's been busting tail to sit out 1 of the 2 practices every once in a great while. Understanding the turbulent history Myles Garrett has had with his ankle - I definitely don't mind hearing he's sitting out a practice or 2.  People will be REALLY pissed at Hue if we lose a guy like that in August.  Head Coaches all over the league sit out key vets in preseason games (which is practice) and practices while the Coordinators and position coaches gotta make due with it. That's good practice for them too since players often get injured without any such plans for it. We're still a month away from games so it's okay to take into account that 2-a-days + strength & conditioning can keep prevent guys from recuperating enough to increase their vulnerability to injury.  When I worked my station 2 days a week in the TB Bucs weight room in 97 and 98 - they made them do their weight training session between the morning practice and lunch during the training camp in FL heat.  And after lunch - they napped before their afternoon position group meeting and got back on the field in the evening.  That's a LONG day - and Tony Dungy used to do what Hue is doing right now with trying to limit some overuse susceptibilities where he saw fit for whatever that's worth... 

This is a time of year where a Head Coach is looking for the guys that want it most.  If the same guys are always looking for reasons not to practice, they're not going to be the ones winning starting jobs or roster spots.  IMO, it's up to all the coaches to remind guys their golden opportunity in training camp is a very small window that sitting out can slam shut. If guys don't get the message after we sent a 1st round pick packing to Buffalo - we don't need any more hollow domes and hollow hearts anyway....

Leaders other than the QB?  In 2007, Eric Steinbach was a savvy vet that was a calming influence that helped to expedite the learning curve of Joe Thomas.  Joe had something like 2 penalties in limited action during his first pre-season game (that Steinbach didn't suit up for); and it was the only time he ever looked human at LT.   We went 10-6 that year via a QB that's only been a backup all other places and seasons.   Well respected vets tend to possess credibility.  For example, Jarvis Landry has a few Pro Bowls on the resume so he's the one getting the most credit for leadership.  That said, reports have indicated Tyrod Taylor is the 1st to arrive and last to leave the facility every day since he got there.  He has been taking on a leadership role as much as he can; but that gets eclipsed by the reality that we used our 1st overall pick on a QB with a contract longer than 1 year.  Maybe that's why Haley and Hue keep trying to emphasize Taylor is the starting QB and leader of this team.   Other vets taking leadership roles?  How about Joel Bitonio taking on the position change where he will also have to mentor the guy trying to fill his shoes at LG?  And then, there is Kirksey on the defensive side of the ball and anyone else.

I agree that Gregg Williams is hilarious!  I like that he hooked up Garrett with Bruce Smith. He mentioned that last year and I thought it was just a quick tutor session or 2 but it's still going on. Clyde Simmons should also be a big help to our dline/DEs considering his background in Buddy Ryan's system that Gregg Williams also got his NFL potty training in (w/the Oilers).  In the 2 years Gregg Williams was the DC for SB Teams in Tennessee and New Orleans, his DEs were rookie Jevon Kearse and Will Smith.  Jevon Kearse was a standup LBer at Florida that transitioned to a Rookie of the Year at DE in 99 with 14.5 sacks.  Will Smith had best pass rushing stats in 2009 with 13 sacks of the edge the year they won the SB.   Is it all just a coincidence or does he borrow parts of a great system for the right pedigrees off the edge? 

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

I picked up on that as well.

I’ve had the misfortune of having a couple of bosses like that in my career.

They’re really not concerned with your answer...they just like to hear themselves talk.

Archived