THE BROWNS BOARD

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

Tour2ma

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another way......

HBO NOW gives you instant access to all of HBO, no TV package required.

With HBO NOW you can watch big premieres as they air—plus every episode of HBO’s addictive series such as Game of Thrones, Westworld, Barry, and so much more.

In addition to getting new movies every week, you also get news, comedy specials, smart talk shows, thought-provoking documentaries, and the special events everyone’s talking about.

Getting started is easy. Just download the app to sign up for your free trial (afterward just $14.99/month. Free trial is for new customers only.). Watch on your favorite screen—phone, tablet, connected TV or gaming device—and on your computer at HBONOW.com. Cancel anytime. 

HBO NOW® is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. Some restrictions apply. ©2018 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO NOW® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.

For help, please visit help.hbonow.com.

Privacy Policy: https://play.hbonow.com/privacy
Terms of Service: https://play.hbonow.com/terms

HARD KNOCKS: TRAINING CAMP WITH THE CLEVELAND BROWNS – SEASON 1, EPISODE 4

Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns 04

The Browns play their third preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles, the reigning Super Bowl champions. With cutdown day fast approaching, the intensity of training camp picks up.
Available Tue, Aug 28 at 10:00pm ET on HBO GO and HBO NOW

Available Wed, Aug 29 On Demand
Television
  • Tue, Aug 2810:00 pm ETHBO
  • Tue, Aug 2810:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
  •  
  • Wed, Aug 291:05 am ETHBO2
  • Wed, Aug 296:30 pm ETHBO
  • Wed, Aug 297:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Wed, Aug 298:30 pm ETHBO2
  •  
  • Thu, Aug 3012:10 am ETHBO
  • Thu, Aug 301:15 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Thu, Aug 301:30 pm ETHBO
  • Thu, Aug 301:30 pm ETHBO LATINO
  •  
  • Fri, Aug 314:25 am ETHBO
  • Fri, Aug 314:25 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Fri, Aug 314:25 pm ETHBO
  • Fri, Aug 314:25 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Sat, Sep 014:10 am ETHBO
  • Sat, Sep 014:10 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Sun, Sep 024:35 am ETHBO
  • Sun, Sep 024:35 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Sun, Sep 0210:45 am ETHBO
  • Sun, Sep 0210:45 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Tue, Sep 041:36 am ETHBO
  • Tue, Sep 042:55 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Tue, Sep 049:00 pm ETHBO2
  • Sat, Sep 083:45 pm ETHBO
  • Sat, Sep 083:45 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Sat, Sep 291:45 am ETHBO ZONE

Random thoughts.

Haley always has a THO.

Just when l have hope for Cajuste l see him getting giddy about imystic rocks.

Kendricks is a sharp dude. May have coaching in his future. 

It strikes me that there has to be some locker room weirdness over Josh Gordon and how he just makes his own schedule. Not trying to rehash any debates over it, but more thinking about the perspective of other players who have gutted it out in camp and may or may not make the team, and then this guy shows up...

Apparently Swagger is still around. 

I think Wylie goes to work so he can have someone to talk to.

The Landry skit was much funnier than Baker’s bit. The Haley/Williams skit too.

some boob around here needs the series box set cause Hue'bie can only report to Haley who's available:P.Hue ain't call'in chit.I would love to hear some of Haley/Williams tearing into some of these position coaches.They sure don't mind singling out the player at fault,while Hue coaches it as a team issue. The Rookie skits were ridiculous fun.Rudy has grown up to be Carl Nassib.🐸Toad should return the favor by calling Carl .."Rudy".. I've always loved the line "Good kick , you fuk'in kicker". Todd Haley has become the front runner at HC..good to see he went back to Jarvis and got his head up. i thought he lost the ball in lights? Nope.. EDit--Ag,Myles can't rock his mama's head rags. But expect a amazon shipment of them to enhance your racquetball wall to wall speed🤣    

Jarvis was right and they will see it on film. The ball was way over his head and well out of bounds. He gave up because he didn't have a prayer of even touching it. Haley owes more than an apology for yelling. He needs to admit  he was wrong.

On the road so just watched Ep 3...

• Check out Baker's legs in the early part of his slo-mo segment. Dude has some serious muscle development above and to either side of his knees.
  • I got the feeling that had I interviewed Baker, he could well have been my #1 QB as well. Love his attitude and doesn't hurt that his football IQ is very, very high.
  • Love Haley's "tough love". His sideline "apology" to Landry was pure class.
  • Agree with whoever said above that they want to see our Coordinators getting on their staffs more than they seem to be.
  • Garrett looks every bit the 1st overall pick he was.
  • Nassib is our D's EverReady bunny this season.
  • The segment with Fells teaching blocking to Cajuste should be shown by every OL Coach at every level to every "kid" playing the game.
  • I am now rooting for Cajuste.
  • Kendricks' is going to play a big role this season... IF he doesn't go to jail for "insider trading". (See new thread.) Him giving his Eagle insights was a great scene.
  • Nice lesson in hurt vs. injured from TT.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

• Check out Baker's legs in the early part of his slo-mo segment. Dude has some serious muscle development above and to either side of his knees.
  • I got the feeling that had I interviewed Baker, he could well have been my #1 QB as well. Love his attitude and doesn't hurt that his football IQ is very, very high.
  • Agree with whoever said above that they want to see our Coordinators getting on their staffs more than they seem to be.
  • The segment with Fells teaching blocking to Cajuste should be shown by every OL Coach at every level to every "kid" playing the game.
  • Kendricks' is going to play a big role this season... IF he doesn't go to jail for "insider trading". (See new thread.) Him giving his Eagle insights was a great scene.

How did Cajuste not know those basics of blocking having played at Stanford?

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

How did Cajuste not know those basics of blocking having played at Stanford?

Ya, my thoughts too.

But Cajuste was a receiving tight end in college, and that's probably what cost him when we was in a couple camps in 16. Now, if he wants to make a roster he is going to have be more than serviceable blocker and a special teams ace.

If you look at his Stanford numbers he was a big time receiving threat and blocking the occasional Pac 10 LBer is a bit different than learner to attack NFL defenders on every down.

Fells seems like a smart dude, we sure have interesting tight end room...

Z

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That was episode 4 homie.

I liked Jarvis doing a little one-on-one with Callaway, but hope I didn't see what looks like Landry disconnecting when things didn't go his way in the Eagles game. 

The rookie skits were hilarious, the Jarvis impersonation was specifically great. 

I really hope that the scene where Hue asks Nate Orchard if he's praying, and that he should be, was just creative editing, because if not that's a pretty finger thing to say.

There appears to be ZERO chemistry between Hue and Mayfield. Any interaction between the two seems incredibly forced. 

Man, it is difficult to watch that episode and not get excited about Garrett's future. 

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I liked Jarvis doing a little one-on-one with Callaway, but hope I didn't see what looks like Landry disconnecting when things didn't go his way in the Eagles game. 

The rookie skits were hilarious, the Jarvis impersonation was specifically great. 

I really hope that the scene where Hue asks Nate Orchard if he's praying, and that he should be, was just creative editing, because if not that's a pretty finger thing to say.

There appears to be ZERO chemistry between Hue and Mayfield. Any interaction between the two seems incredibly forced. 

Man, it is difficult to watch that episode and not get excited about Garrett's future. 

My takeaway from this last episode

- Garrett is a Beast, and i'm proud of how he's developing

- I agree with you on the Mayfield/Hue chemistry thing Dutch. It just seems kind of awkward how Hue is treating him. I know he wants to encourage him, but Baker seems more like Dorsey's pick rather than Hue's. Hue played Tyrod even hurt. I know he wanted to go back in but it was preseason. Baker's "no reps with first team ever" doesn't make sense to me. Neither does "this is Tyrod's team, Tyrod is the starter". I get Baker has to earn it, but Hue has Tyrod grouped in with his "obsession" QB's, such as RG3, Kessler, and McCown. He absolutely puts all of them on a pedestal.

- Our Coordinators are better leaders than Hue. Don't get me wrong, I like Hue, but so many times he comes across like a socially awkward nice guy. I know he wants to win, and players like him, but i'm just not sure he's a leader of men. This doesn't mean I don't think he'll do well, it just means I'm not sure how great of a leader he is.

- Our team has a LOT of heart, and I really think we're heading in the right direction. 

- I like Nassib, and think he's developing great, but I feel like he's "trying to hard" to be a character because he's on T.V. during that "aliens are real" practice scene.

- I hope Cajuste makes the team like everyone else.

- I hope you're right about the Hue/Orchard scene dutch. I'm an editor and I agree the last episode was a bit dragged on and they could of featured some other players instead of going back to much of the same old stuff. 

- My gut tells me Williams and Haley are winners. They can set us up to succeed. Hue just has to work as a team and drop this "i'm the captain of the ship" cowpoop.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:13 PM, stillmotion said:

My takeaway from this last episode

- Garrett is a Beast, and i'm proud of how he's developing

- I agree with you on the Mayfield/Hue chemistry thing Dutch. It just seems kind of awkward how Hue is treating him. I know he wants to encourage him, but Baker seems more like Dorsey's pick rather than Hue's. Hue played Tyrod even hurt. I know he wanted to go back in but it was preseason. Baker's "no reps with first team ever" doesn't make sense to me. Neither does "this is Tyrod's team, Tyrod is the starter". I get Baker has to earn it, but Hue has Tyrod grouped in with his "obsession" QB's, such as RG3, Kessler, and McCown. He absolutely puts all of them on a pedestal.

- Our Coordinators are better leaders than Hue. Don't get me wrong, I like Hue, but so many times he comes across like a socially awkward nice guy. I know he wants to win, and players like him, but i'm just not sure he's a leader of men. This doesn't mean I don't think he'll do well, it just means I'm not sure how great of a leader he is.

- Our team has a LOT of heart, and I really think we're heading in the right direction. 

- I like Nassib, and think he's developing great, but I feel like he's "trying to hard" to be a character because he's on T.V. during that "aliens are real" practice scene.

- I hope Cajuste makes the team like everyone else.

- I hope you're right about the Hue/Orchard scene dutch. I'm an editor and I agree the last episode was a bit dragged on and they could of featured some other players instead of going back to much of the same old stuff. 

- My gut tells me Williams and Haley are winners. They can set us up to succeed. Hue just has to work as a team and drop this "i'm the captain of the ship" cowpoop.

Good stuff!   Nassib's biggest asset is his hustle. He does look like he's improving quite a bit. It doesn't hurt that I get a kick out of him.   Who names their pimples?  If he gets one on his asss - he'll probably name it Ghoolie.

Maybe, it's just me but I expected more out of DeValve.  He hasn't become who I thought he'd be. He's sitting out with injuries while Cajuste is player through a bad shoulder impressing us while doing so.  I can't help but like what I'm seeing from Cajuste.

11 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Hue just has to work as a team and drop this "i'm the captain of the ship" cowpoop.

This should be Hue's position as head of the ship. 

figurehead-1.jpg

I like this one better though. Hue the cheerleader.😁

Mermaid Figurehead

watched the last 2 episodes last night...found them on a torrent site. Here's my takes from them...

1) Im not sure Haley gives a fuk about Gordon, I think he wants Dez in the building as might Dorsey. Im honestly shocked at how well Dez seemed to be received yet nothing came of it. Gotta have something to do with Hue's boner for Gordon.....

2) Nassib made the cut. I chronicled the solo run plays he made against the eagles starters in the 1st half of that game. He's a lock. Orchard.....yeah I dunno. I think Orchards future with the Browns may depend on Avery. 

3) I fukkin love the sht between haley and Williams. Fuk this ghoolie sht about those guys being Hue's coffee fetchers. Not only is that kind of disrespectful...it kind of diminishes how cool this hard knocks is for the Browns. 

4) Following up on that last part in 3, it would be fukkin righteous if the Browns produced a show and broadcast it locally for us yearly. Essentially the same kind of format. This would be awesome for the brand. If it's locally broadcast, I don't see why the NFL wouldn't let any teams do this for their fanbase. 

5) Garrett is on his way to greatness if he stays healthy. That man's skillset is "elite". Power, speed, strength, hands...it's all there. I talked in another thread about issues I saw with some of our other DE's getting arms collapsed...in that last episode of the eagles game, there's awesome footage of Myles holding off the OL with one arm so he can use his other arm to disengage quickly. Since im not going to rehash this argument in another thread, if you have the game still on tape...watch how the eagles used just their receiving TE to block the left side while they were trying to help their RT with garrett. Kendricks in his scouting report in epi 4 said Ertz is bullsht if you get up into him...yet #86 is exactly who they used to block the LDE. I'll leave it there. 

6) as hopeful as I am of things turning around, I don't think we all should get too excited about potential wins. The offense isn't there. The defense will be good early but will tire out as the season wears on. They're gonna be out there "a lot". They may outright win us a few games. Hopefully we can run the ball well and keep them off the field. But points wise, I don't think we should be expecting any high octane offense even with a guy like Landry. The big plays are gonna happen when teams bring more into the box and Landry can sneak behind them. Maybe Gordon changes that equation if he's right....but im not calculating him into anything I see. I can't. It absolutely sucks that we didn't have him in camp so we can see where we're truly at with our WR's. It's possible we could have had talks with Dez earlier and had time to groom a trio of Dez, Gordon and Landry with some real nice young talent in Calloway coming in. Gordon's sht kind of fuks us again for the umpteenth time. I love the guy....I feel for the guy, but god dammit. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Problem is Garett doesn't really want to be in Cleveland.  Guarantee he will be gone when he is eligible.

I don't think so. Garrett will stay if the Browns are looking like a team worth staying for. He's a pretty loyal guy.

8 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

4) Following up on that last part in 3, it would be fukkin righteous if the Browns produced a show and broadcast it locally for us yearly. Essentially the same kind of format. This would be awesome for the brand. If it's locally broadcast, I don't see why the NFL wouldn't let any teams do this for their fanbase.

There is the local show on STO called 'Building the Browns'. 

Just watched episode 4. Haley isn’t a fan of Gordon AT ALL. Even caught himself before he said something direct about him to Landry about.... “We can’t hope for..... ...someone to come in and save us”  That’s the second time I’ve noticed it. First was when Hue was so excited about Gordon getting off the plane in Cleveland and Haley said in a “meh” voice..... “has he been working out?”

Can’t say I blame him. 

Wylie needs his own show. His face when Myles Garrett had his old school music on... haha. “Turn that F—-in music off!!!”

31 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Just watched episode 4. Haley isn’t a fan of Gordon AT ALL. Even caught himself before he said something direct about him to Landry about.... “We can’t hope for..... ...someone to come in and save us”  That’s the second time I’ve noticed it. First was when Hue was so excited about Gordon getting off the plane in Cleveland and Haley said in a “meh” voice..... “has he been working out?”

Can’t say I blame him. 

Wylie needs his own show. His face when Myles Garrett had his old school music on... haha. “Turn that F—-in music off!!!”

oh yeah that interaction between hue and haley was super awkward. I understand haley completely too. And if hue convinced the brass to hold off on signing dez cause his boycrush was coming back, thats gonna end badly berween him and haley. 

srsly, hues crush on gordon is super awkward

On 8/29/2018 at 10:31 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I get the impression Mayfield has his own way of handling superiors. Almost like he wants to treat them as equals in some respects instead of superiors, yet still knows his place, if that makes any sense. 

I think back to the scene in episode 1 of HK where he’s getting ready to sign his contract and kinda ribs Dorsey to the camera with his “oh, he broke out the Browns sweatshirt for this” comment.

I figure it’s all part of his uber confidence schtick, and l’m not really sure this approach to interacting with superiors that way is a good or bad thing in the long run, but l figure it’s bound to rub some superiors the wrong way.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, Clevfan4life said:

watched the last 2 episodes last night...found them on a torrent site. Here's my takes from them...

1) Im not sure Haley gives a fuk about Gordon, I think he wants Dez in the building as might Dorsey. Im honestly shocked at how well Dez seemed to be received yet nothing came of it. Gotta have something to do with Hue's boner for Gordon.....

2) Nassib made the cut. I chronicled the solo run plays he made against the eagles starters in the 1st half of that game. He's a lock. Orchard.....yeah I dunno. I think Orchards future with the Browns may depend on Avery. 

3) I fukkin love the sht between haley and Williams. Fuk this ghoolie sht about those guys being Hue's coffee fetchers. Not only is that kind of disrespectful...it kind of diminishes how cool this hard knocks is for the Browns. 

5) Garrett is on his way to greatness if he stays healthy. That man's skillset is "elite". Power, speed, strength, hands...it's all there. I talked in another thread about issues I saw with some of our other DE's getting arms collapsed...in that last episode of the eagles game, there's awesome footage of Myles holding off the OL with one arm so he can use his other arm to disengage quickly. Since im not going to rehash this argument in another thread, if you have the game still on tape...watch how the eagles used just their receiving TE to block the left side while they were trying to help their RT with garrett. Kendricks in his scouting report in epi 4 said Ertz is bullsht if you get up into him...yet #86 is exactly who they used to block the LDE. I'll leave it there. 

6) as hopeful as I am of things turning around, I don't think we all should get too excited about potential wins. The offense isn't there. The defense will be good early but will tire out as the season wears on. They're gonna be out there "a lot". They may outright win us a few games. Hopefully we can run the ball well and keep them off the field. But points wise, I don't think we should be expecting any high octane offense even with a guy like Landry. The big plays are gonna happen when teams bring more into the box and Landry can sneak behind them. Maybe Gordon changes that equation if he's right....but im not calculating him into anything I see. I can't. It absolutely sucks that we didn't have him in camp so we can see where we're truly at with our WR's. It's possible we could have had talks with Dez earlier and had time to groom a trio of Dez, Gordon and Landry with some real nice young talent in Calloway coming in. Gordon's sht kind of fuks us again for the umpteenth time. I love the guy....I feel for the guy, but god dammit.

Great write up Clevs!  My advice to you is NEVER worry or apologize about putting a game face on for the season.  My theory is if you show up to a fight thinking you're not supposed to win - you've just completely talked yourself out of the opportunity to win.  If the 99 Rams listened to everybody following a 5-11 season - they wouldn't have won their division, the NFC Championship and the SB the very next season. The Eagles also finished last in their division in 2016.  What did these 2 teams have in common?   The made some ideal off season moves that jumper cabled themselves right out of park.

We don't know where the offense is yet especially considering how often we've seen Landry, Gordon, Callaway, Njoku and Hyde/Duke on the field at the same time.  We have yet to see Zeitler suited up with the starting line-up.  We went from a Pink Floyd "Is there anybody in there?" - to multiple choice of good guys to throw to. All of a sudden playing QB here doesn't seem so impossible. Refreshing?  You bet!

I remember Nassib's first game with us.  He was relentless. That's pretty much what Hard Knocks is showing us this year. This may sound outrageous - but his fun personality also inclusive of inner chest makes him a 2018 keeper.   I am noticing that despite how tall he is - he keeps an ideal pad height that keeps his base/legs under him to perpetuate that competitive leverage.  Forget last year, I think you might be right that he's outplaying Ogbah this year.  You'll definitely get me to watch this more closely.

What might have sealed Orchard's fate were the 2 times nobody blocked him and he completely whiffed on gift wrapped sacks/tackles behind the line of scrimmage.  He's still only listed at 255 lbs, which has made him a liability against the run from time to time. Seems like a lot of coaching staff and teammates want Orchard to make it.   I found myself really pulling for him in that final preseason game he had a good game in.  Unfortunately, that might have been too little too late for the expectation for his experience. I haven't really seen enough of the other DEs to know who's making the team and who isn't (ie; couldn't tell you a thing about Chris Smith we got from Cincy).  The good news for some of them is Avery can now have Kendricks' roster spot as a LB (despite lining up on the edge on passing downs). Last year we were 3rd against the run in the AFC (7th in the NFL); but was that because nobody wasted time running on us when throwing on us was such a sure thing?  

Garrett's showing why he was a 1st overall pick talent.  Watching him play on 2 healthy ankles for the first since he's been here is a blast!  Look how much that changes everything in the performance of our overall defense.  This is just the beginning of it all too...  Having corners that can challenge the quick throws this time around will also allow people notice his impact.  That's why Gregg Williams wanted him some Ohio State with that #4 overall pick.  When I explained the 28 examples Williams claimed Garrett was within 1-1.5 steps (1 tenth of a second) - it's why he wanted him some some Denzel Ward at #4 overall and was thrilled about Dorsey addressing our talent/depth at corner this off season.

The frustration about Gordon getting on the field over the years has been well documented in here. This was the first year Gordon made the decision to get clean and commit to that. In the past, he only got treatment (after being told he needed it) to fool people while keeping the same stupid plan he was just going to outsmart the drug testing process he's never outsmarted.  The huge difference there could be just as huge on the field.  For example, this is the first time he's eligible to play week 1.  That's the guy I had always hoped we drafted. Someone that learned from his past and cherished the golden opportunity this franchise extended him.  He's put a lot of work in on and off the field hoping to get back to a Pro Bowl level at just 27 years of age (w/ minimal wear and tear).    This is probably the most excited I've ever been about the guy considering how often I used to post I wanted us to trade him. 

Great point about Williams and Haley!  One of the funniest things I saw was when Gregg Williams was welcoming Brad Paisley off to the side.  He said something along the line of "Welcome!  If you're allergic to the word PHUCK - you better have a prescription."

Archived