Jump to content
LBC mike

This new helmet rule

Recommended Posts

Wow this is going to suck.  One of eight plays seems like a penalty during this preseason game.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is football. 

Football is not basketball. 

Boxing is not basketball... so, imagine if they did to boxing what they are trying to do to football... it would not be boxing, it would be dancing. 

Football is violent, football is sometimes nasty- despite what you've heard, football is not for everybody. It's natural to want to protect the player's health, but if you're going to call it football- you actually need to play football. I can't watch subjective penalties or whatnot being called on a whim. Penalties must have the ability to be challenged by a coach if they are going to impact a game in the magnitude that they are. It's too easy for refs to fix games or at least give off the vibe that they could be fixing the games to help Vegas lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Wow this is going to suck.  One of eight plays seems like a penalty during this preseason game.

After Shazier damn near paralyzed himself- they had to do something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its a bad rule.. Now you have to call it flag football.. This is gonna slow the game down to a crawl in reg season games..... Pete Rozelle must be in his grave laughing his A$$ off... Especially at "God'Dell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Wow this is going to suck.  One of eight plays seems like a penalty during this preseason game.

The zebras are always instructed to over call any new rules so the league can get their point across. They usually back off a bit a few games in. But they especially do that during the preseason games so players who play on the borderline get punished often enough that it starts to sink in. Expect a few to actually get tossed when it's over the borderline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great points Texas. We fans are going to have to live with the two-sided effects of this rule. The aggravation of the penalties (that will ALWAYS come on 3rd and long against us, lol) and the hopeful reduction in damaging head injuries. But honestly, I think the NFL will have to implement a replay system for these calls. A bang-bang call by the ref shouldn't change the game, and these calls are definitely going to affect the outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a players helmet touch another players arm and it was called.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

I saw a players helmet touch another players arm and it was called.   

Early in the game? Yeah I think i saw the same play and the key was he moved his helmet in purposefully but just barely grazed the other guy's. I think that was one of those "we will enforce it" kind of calls that will get ignored later in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Pussies:

 

Football Players Red Grange and Earl Britton, 1925.

Yeah look at how high that sissy  wears his pants.😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your head is in between both of your shoulders that you've been taught to hit with... what the Shmuck are you supposed to do? If a ball carrier dives through a hole, if I'm a defender I'm making his helmet hit me and calling foul- it's a 15 yard penalty and loss of down... this may be the straw that breaks the camels back. Football is dead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Your head is in between both of your shoulders that you've been taught to hit with... what the Shmuck are you supposed to do? If a ball carrier dives through a hole, if I'm a defender I'm making his helmet hit me and calling foul- it's a 15 yard penalty and loss of down... this may be the straw that breaks the camels back. Football is dead.

So let me get this straight...

You can see red flags regarding the NFL's future, but are completely unable to see that Josh Gordon will never consistently help the Browns or that Kevin Hogan is considered at best a backup QB... Interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have ya seen this? https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Fact-Sheet---Use-of-the-Helmet.aspx  how does a position coach, even coach this nonsense.. Somewhere Earl Campbell is laughing. Head on a swivel? hell put them in Ninja Turtle Suits with descending Necks..  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, LBC mike said:

Wow this is going to suck.  One of eight plays seems like a penalty during this preseason game.

It wont last.

Last season they were buckling down early in the season and eventually stopped throwing so many flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, LBC mike said:

Wow this is going to suck.  One of eight plays seems like a penalty during this preseason game.

That's why there is a pre-season. The rule was needed... it just a James Harrison too late.

Will be called very tightly and then "refined' thru the season. The one HOF game hit at the goal had to be more "defenseless WR"...and was a bad call on that count IMO.

Someday soon the helmets will be wired to determine the degree to which it delivered the force of the hit. Until then there will have to be replay reviews as there is in College.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That's why there is a pre-season. The rule was needed... it just a James Harrison too late.

Will be called very tightly and then "refined' thru the season. The one HOF game hit at the goal had to be more "defenseless WR"...and was a bad call on that count IMO.

Someday soon the helmets will be wired to determine the degree to which it delivered the force of the hit. Until then there will have to be replay reviews as there is in College.

And helmet cams built in with the impact detector. Easy peasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Maybe a cookie and milk dispensor on the sidelines if they need a timeout.

After Huey abused the timeouts last year, they were abolished for the Browns to prevent further embarrassment.🧐

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is going to be a disastrous season for football. This new rule is insane. Ill admit i didnt follow this much during the offseason, i wanted a break from football period after 1-32 fir 2 seasons. Seeing this now, i dont know how football survives. 

The ease with which the passing game can commence now is just stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

this is going to be a disastrous season for football. This new rule is insane. Ill admit i didnt follow this much during the offseason, i wanted a break from football period after 1-32 fir 2 seasons. Seeing this now, i dont know how football survives. 

The ease with which the passing game can commence now is just stupid. 

Not good timing if that happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 7:53 AM, boo fagley said:

It wont last.

When the cat got out of the bag (concussions are VERY bad for you....and football players get them A LOT) there was no putting it back in the bag.

The NFL gets it's primary resource (human resource) from children growing up playing football.  Once parents understood (the cat out of the bag) then the NFL had NO CHOICE but to try and make the game less dangerous.  Especially with respect to the brain.  I'm not even sure that the NFL will be able to DO enough to keep overall society content.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orion said:

When the cat got out of the bag (concussions are VERY bad for you....and football players get them A LOT) there was no putting it back in the bag.

The NFL gets it's primary resource (human resource) from children growing up playing football.  Once parents understood (the cat out of the bag) then the NFL had NO CHOICE but to try and make the game less dangerous.  Especially with respect to the brain.  I'm not even sure that the NFL will be able to DO enough to keep overall society content.  

Lots of times QBs get concussions just being pushed down and having their heads hit the turf.

They will never prevent brain injuries from occurring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Lots of times QBs get concussions just being pushed down and having their heads hit the turf.

They will never prevent brain injuries from occurring.

Therein lies the dilemma.  

When Greg Robinson was in concussion protocol Hue said, these things happen, it's football.  - I'm certain that an NFL marketing man would've cringed hearing that.  

I've loved football since I was a little boy (the latter part of Jim Brown's career).  I now have two grandboys,  2 and 4  and a half years old respectively.  I wouldn't point them towards playing football.  It's not good at all for the human body and I couldn't, in good conscience,  advise it.  But I'll buy them a guitar, or whatever musical instrument they'd like to learn.   And they could play tennis, softball, basketball, etc, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Orion said:

Therein lies the dilemma.  

When Greg Robinson was in concussion protocol Hue said, these things happen, it's football.  - I'm certain that an NFL marketing man would've cringed hearing that.  

I've loved football since I was a little boy (the latter part of Jim Brown's career).  I now have two grandboys,  2 and 4  and a half years old respectively.  I wouldn't point them towards playing football.  It's not good at all for the human body and I couldn't, in good conscience,  advise it.  But I'll buy them a guitar, or whatever musical instrument they'd like to learn.   And they could play tennis, softball, basketball, etc, etc.

The NFL has to put on the good face that they are proactive warding off brain injuries for liability purposes.

The game has changed. Today, 200 lb DBs are fast and hit like LBs. There is no way to condition ligaments, connective tissue and brains for this type of impact.

Beginning of 2018 season the NFL will call 20 penalties a game for helmet contact and the product will suffer. End of the season you will see the same penalty called infrequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 8:16 PM, boo fagley said:

Lots of times QBs get concussions just being pushed down and having their heads hit the turf.

They will never prevent brain injuries from occurring.

They can try to cut down on the number or severity of the head injuries -but- it is tackle football people are going to hit people,  players are better conditioned to run and hit than ever.

It would be like trying to get rid of fender benders in NASCAR.......and a big reason people watch both, to see the HITS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another aspect of pussyfieing everything .  give all the players a participation trophy and call it a season done .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Another aspect of pussyfieing everything .  give all the players a participation trophy and call it a season done .

Yeah here's your little plastic atta' boy for playing trophy.......and your NFL players'  league minimum contract of $1,000,000 just for making the team showing up.

Is this a great game or what! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 8:42 PM, Orion said:

Therein lies the dilemma.  

My local NC paper  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article197213314.html  I travel to the biggest friday night lights in town. It's down & the talent pool is down too..We kickoff the year this friday night

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

My local NC paper  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article197213314.html  I travel to the biggest friday night lights in town. It's down & the talent pool is down too..

I first saw the CTE story years back on PBS and wasn't sure how factual and serious it was, turns out it is very much for real. Still not every person that plays tackle football will get concussions or have serious long term effects (like me) I've been knocked out in the late 1960s and am 67 now with no apparent after effects but that is not true everywhere in every case.

Plus there is more evidence and awareness like this:

.........

Concussion awareness is at an all-time high. Will Smith starred in “Concussion,” a 2015 movie that chronicles the discovery of CTE – chronic traumatic encephalopathy – in former NFL players’ brains. All levels of football have tried to address hits to the head.

Foxworth, as president of the NFL Players’ Association, led negotiations with the NFL to limit the amount of contact allowed in practices. The North Carolina High School Activities Association limits teams to 60 minutes of “live action contact” — defined as contact at game speed where players execute full tackles — per group per week during the regular season. The association also places limits on contact at the beginning of the season and during two-a-day practices.

Teevens’ Dartmouth teams do not hit each other at practice. The team practices tackling against robotic dummies and other inanimate objects.......

It's not over yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 7:16 PM, boo fagley said:

Lots of times QBs get concussions just being pushed down and having their heads hit the turf.

They will never prevent all brain injuries from occurring.

FIFY...

Another moronic "can't-cure-it-completely,-so-why-try" argument?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×