THE BROWNS BOARD

Bitonio moved to LT

jcam222

I tend to think this is out of desperation. 

If Thomas was grooming Bitonio for this all along, why did Bitonio recently say in an interview that "too much time has gone by since college for me to play tackle and I'm a guard in the NFL." ? 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If Thomas was grooming Bitonio for this all along, why did Bitonio recently say in an interview that "too much time has gone by since college for me to play tackle and I'm a guard in the NFL." ? 

I could definitely be off on the grooming part, that said he has been moved to LT at least for now with Corbett at LG and Hue and Dorsey both confirmed that. 

they are just looking for their best fit. My guess is, maybe Coleman is struggling a bit. or they are trying to figure out if

Coleman wins the job and gets hurt later, what are their options at backup changes in the lineup.

54 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

it's not* desperation..A) Hue maybe actually becoming a actual Head coach today. Sticking to his commitment to his team/coaches including Haley. "of playing the best 5 OL players"..B) Bitonio only wants what's best for the players/coaches including Hue on his team. C)Hue even tossed his own OL coach Bob Wylie under the bus on Wylie's A- Z plan to move Joel to Tackle..Hue, "you media people, ask my assistant coaches far to many questions"..

Good on Hue Jackson today..he left every door still cracked open to compete..  

57 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Hue even tossed his own OL coach Bob Wylie under the bus on Wylie's A- Z plan to move Joel to Tackle..Hue, "you media people, ask my assistant coaches far to many questions"

lol  - Wylie the Walrus had the move as Plan Z.  

I do agree with the desperation sentiment.  But ya know what?  THIS is the time to try this crazy stuff.  Apparently he's seeing Coleman out there like a swinging gate.  A guy he'd like to try there is sidelined so he's gonna see what Bitonio & Corbett look like manning the left side.  The equation is, is the drop-off in play at Guard worth the amount of improvement Bitonio brings to LT over Coleman?   -  I'd be worried about Bitonio's speed to secure the edge.  But if he can DO it that'd be great because he could improve the run blocking at LT.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

A)I do agree with the desperation sentiment.HueJax better be the most desperate piece on the field   B.) THIS is the time to try this crazy stuff.  Apparently he's seeing Coleman out there like a swinging gate.Hues watched the gate swing open 2 full seasons. Hue has convindence now in his gm to find better.or put a fire under Colemans tukus.  C) A guy he'd like to try there is sidelined so he's gonna see what Bitonio & Corbett look like manning the left side. Myself, i would have liked to have seen what Will Hernandez could have brought, if sliding Joel was in the works.  D.) The equation is, is the drop-off in play at Guard worth the amount of improvement Bitonio brings to LT over Coleman? I've been done with the idea of Coleman at LT from the start. No teams move failed RT's to LT,but we are capable of trying with Walrus. but I agree with the equation. and Teams don't drop LT's, they move them to RT//G..Zero LT's were to be found last season on the street. Desmond Harrison is underweight & raw as hell,projects to PS than RT. Leaving us Greg Robinson, who will get a damn good look to move Joel back to Guard.another equation  - E) I'd be worried about Bitonio's speed to secure the edge. Joel is too & or a new injury risk..  F) But if he can DO it that'd be great because he could improve the run blocking at LT. This whole group including Shon Coleman,Robinson to Durango can power run block the hell out the ball.No Zone blocking schemes. Hue stopped them.Crow stopped himself.the problem is now only Tretter,Joel & Zeitler can pass protect..Greg Robinson maybe worse in pass pro than Joel, that's never played the LT spot? But that's why we play the game. 

^^later peeps..we'll keep grinding to some wins 

5 hours ago, Orion said:

lol  - Wylie the Walrus had the move as Plan Z.  

I do agree with the desperation sentiment.  But ya know what?  THIS is the time to try this crazy stuff.  Apparently he's seeing Coleman out there like a swinging gate.  A guy he'd like to try there is sidelined so he's gonna see what Bitonio & Corbett look like manning the left side.  The equation is, is the drop-off in play at Guard worth the amount of improvement Bitonio brings to LT over Coleman?   -  I'd be worried about Bitonio's speed to secure the edge.  But if he can DO it that'd be great because he could improve the run blocking at LT.

Can't add much to what Gumby already posted. Bito had better not get hurt or we're screwed beyond belief. If JT says Corbett isn't LT material, I'll defer to his opinion. Yeah- if you wanted a pure guard, why not Hernandez? 

One year stopgap in the master plan- draft Joe's replacement next year in a deep LT class?  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Can't add much to what Gumby already posted. Bito had better not get hurt or we're screwed beyond belief. If JT says Corbett isn't LT material, I'll defer to his opinion. Yeah- if you wanted a pure guard, why not Hernandez? 

One year stopgap in the master plan- draft Joe's replacement next year in a deep LT class?  

In a few years the pick of Corbett might make sense, but right now it looks a bit odd to me. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Odd..? Or horses**t?

At 33 no less. Not good.

Well we drafted Bitonio in the second round.  Almost feels like a "luxury" pick, because we were set at guard with Bito and Zeitler. Injury insurance? 

I’m kinda surprised they already view Corbett as a better option at guard than someone like Drango or Reiter who have experience in the league. Drango got a fair amount of game experience the last 2 years. He may not have made the best fill in tackle, but he was projected to be a guard anyway, so l’m curious what the coaches saw in Corbett in a week of practice to view him as a better option.

16 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’m kinda surprised they already view Corbett as a better option at guard than someone like Drango or Reiter who have experience in the league. Drango got a fair amount of game experience the last 2 years. He may not have made the best fill in tackle, but he was projected to be a guard anyway, so l’m curious what the coaches saw in Corbett in a week of practice to view him as a better option.

Probably means they think Corbett will be stronger in the rushing schemes they're going with. 

I'm not going to flip out about the O line (yet). I do think they were a fine pass-blocking line last year, and horrible in the running game. 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

In a few years the pick of Corbett might make sense, but right now it looks a bit odd to me. 

They must have really liked him over the next best player / OLineman and figured the Giants would take him (which they DID take a Guard with their pick).  And there was no chance that NY would draft Chubb...

Again, they must have REALLY liked him above everyone else.  (BPA)

I'm always somewhat "Meh" when it comes to offensive line performance.  For some reason, whenever we've had the makings of a good offensive line, it never seems to live up to the hype.  So I'm going to just wait to assess how everything goes until I comment about it.  Now, one thing I can say is the video of Bitonio playing LT looked pretty darn good.  Well, what was posted in that article anyway.  

29 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Everyone chill I think Bitonio will be a good fit.

Corbett at LG, Tretter, Hubbard, Coleman. 

Not a bad O-line.. I certainty miss JT.. I hope he becomes our next OL/OC in a few years

I really like the idea of Corbett right next to the guy who can also teach him that position during practice and play because they line up together.

32 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Everyone chill I think Bitonio will be a good fit.

Corbett at LG, Tretter, Hubbard, Coleman. 

Not a bad O-line.. I certainty miss JT.. I hope he becomes our next OL/OC in a few years

What did you do with our best lineman, Zeitler?

Coleman will not be in lineup when all are healthy.

Z

i dont know if u all rem or not, but drango's first game as a LT after JT went down.....was against none other than the leagues best pass rusher last year everson griffen. And drango only gave up one sack which if i rem right was a late garbage kizer holding the ball for 10 minutes looking to throw the ball in absolutely the wrong window....kind of sack

point is drango came in and played LT almost at JT's level for most of the rest of the season. Why was he not considered for LT when he came in his first game and stuffed the leagues best?

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

i dont know if u all rem or not, but drango's first game as a LT after JT went down.....was against none other than the leagues best pass rusher last year everson griffen. And drango only gave up one sack which if i rem right was a late garbage kizer holding the ball for 10 minutes looking to throw the ball in absolutely the wrong window....kind of sack

point is drango came in and played LT almost at JT's level for most of the rest of the season. Why was he not considered for LT when he came in his first game and stuffed the leagues best?

Cause Weebles Wobble than Durango would fall down..He's a guard, that can Weeble straight forward, but can't Wobble sideways on a open island. Griffen played bull rush on him that with a guard you don't play.Durango gave up 10 sacks last season. When drafted, I tried to find a legit DE that played Durango at Baylor, with not much luck..The tape monsters figured out Durango at LT & he can't kick sideways with any balance..  

Archived