THE BROWNS BOARD

Why is Jackson Painting Himself Into a Corner?

BobPOUND!

I am in favor of Tyrod starting the season and I feel he might do really good, maybe enough to stay at the position all season. But that is just my stupid opinion based on limited information..

Jackson keeps digging in harder and harder with this line that "Tyrod is the starter", "I am not going to change my mind". etc etc etc.

Jackson just needs to shut the hell up and quit standing in front of the Shmucking cameras so damn much.. What if Tyrod comes out week 1 and 2 and lays freaking turds. Are you telling me that Jackson isn't going to consider bringing in Mayfield? He let Kiser play all freaking season last year and he doesn't have half the talent that Mayfield has.. I can feel his ego setting himself up to have to do one of two things.

Swallow his pride and put Mayfield in if Tyrod sucks butt the first 2 or 3 games or stick to his "WORD" that he said he wouldn't put Mayfield in to "soon" whatever the hell that means. And I would put money on the 2nd option when it comes to Jackson.. He will not swallow his pride.

If we lose the first 3 games, I would be in favor of sacking his butt then and there and see "the next man up" in the coaching position.. the correct answer he gives to the question they keep asking is "BEST PLAYERS PLAY" , period end of story.

BobPound!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OR is it just a smart move? Taylor is my guy x 100 and back off the kid and then if Tyrod gets injured or hits a slump or Mayfield looks like he can handle it put him in.

Don't do another Kizer disaster "here's the ball kid, good luck"!

Tie rods ceiling isn't going any higher than it is.. If Baker out duels him preseason.. you have to consider speading up the process with Baker.. You don't draft him #1 to sit and do nothing... And Hue.. well Hue is a dip $hit!...

20 minutes ago, nickers said:

Tie rods ceiling isn't going any higher than it is.. If Baker out duels him preseason.. you have to consider speading up the process with Baker.. You don't draft him #1 to sit and do nothing... And Hue.. well Hue is a dip $hit!...

Exactly. Last year Hue was content to let a far less talented Kizer stink up the joint- so now, it's 180 time and play Taylor regardless. Sure, I have the opinion it's far better to have Baker sit and watch for at least 1\2 the season- OTOH, Wentz got thrown into the fire week one- and it didn't seem to phase him.  

Sure, Taylor is in another league than Kessler and Hogan. But it was maddening to see Deshone get trotted out there last year week after week when you knew it was going to be yet another suck performance.  

5 hours ago, nickers said:

Tyrod is on a 1 year deal. You have to throw all your support behind him and hope he plays lights out and deserves year 2. There has to be a team leader and the QB is usually it. You dont want half the team in camp Taylor and the other guys in camp Mayfield. Taylor has won NFL games and taken his team to the playoffs. Get behind him in this offense now run by a post season OC.

What happens if Tyrod has a probowl season and the Browns go to the playoffs largely because of his play?

Kizer looked great in camp and beat out everyone else. Everybody looks like a world beater in camp and then faces reality when the real bullets start flying in the regular season. Preseason is hor$ehit and winning every game makes you pre season champions.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Tyrod is on a 1 year deal. You have to throw all your support behind him and hope he plays lights out and deserves year 2. There has to be a team leader and the QB is usually it. You dont want half the team in camp Taylor and the other guys in camp Mayfield. Taylor has won NFL games and taken his team to the playoffs. Get behind him in this offense now run by a post season OC.

What happens if Tyrod has a probowl season and the Browns go to the playoffs largely because of his play?

Kizer looked great in camp and beat out everyone else. Everybody looks like a world beater in camp and then faces reality when the real bullets start flying in the regular season. Preseason is hor$ehit and winning every game makes you pre season champions.

Kizer looked like $hit to me in Camp.. I didn't see anything special about him.. He had slow eyes from the start.. Mayfield is on a whole other level intellectually and in efficiency.. Kizer was supposed to be a poor mans Cam Newton.. Russ Wilson And DeShaun Watson did't sit long..I think Baker can be even as good or better.. If he displays character and great play,.. You play him sooner rather than later.... You don't draft him with the mindset of keeping him on the bench.. When you're drafted #1.. You're drafted there for a reason.. TT is 7 years into his career.. Now granted.. We supposedly have a good WR room... And I'm sure that will be a positive.. But Taylor is NOT the kind of QB who can create his own plays... Taylor historically has all of his games under 300 yards..  That's just not very convincing to me.. He's a game manager.. Not a stud...

he's just saying tyrods the starter mo matter how good mayfield looks in camp.(and i agree with that) OF COURSE if tyrod shts the bed or gets hurt mayfields gonna see some reps. Hopefully theres another guy that can step in before tgat cause id rather mayfields first start be as far down the line as possible.

i dont think hues saying ill deactivate mayfield before i let him on the field

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

if we wanted to draft a college qb tgat was nfl ready day one, we wouldnt have drafted mayfield. 

Actually he and Rosen were probalbly the most NFL-ready QBs of this draft. Mayfield had a Sheet-ton of college starts. Darnold really should have gone back for one more year. Allen should start hitting the broad side of the barn in 3-5 years. 

I'd still love to see Mayfield sit for most/all his rookie season though. 

10 hours ago, nickers said:

Kizer looked like $hit to me in Camp.. I didn't see anything special about him.. He had slow eyes from the start.. Mayfield is on a whole other level intellectually and in efficiency.. Kizer was supposed to be a poor mans Cam Newton.. Russ Wilson And DeShaun Watson did't sit long..I think Baker can be even as good or better.. If he displays character and great play,.. You play him sooner rather than later.... You don't draft him with the mindset of keeping him on the bench.. When you're drafted #1.. You're drafted there for a reason.. TT is 7 years into his career.. Now granted.. We supposedly have a good WR room... And I'm sure that will be a positive.. But Taylor is NOT the kind of QB who can create his own plays... Taylor historically has all of his games under 300 yards..  That's just not very convincing to me.. He's a game manager.. Not a stud...

Jumping straight to Mayfield would be a mistake.

Give Tyrod a shot in Haleys aggressive passing offense.

Everybody wants to see Mayfield play. I do. All fans do. Mayfield is the ace in the hole when needed. Hue is playing his cards spot on this time and not betting the farm on a rookie who looks good in camp. Camp is bull $hit. Tyrod gives the Browns the best chance to win. His Buffalo passing stats are night and day different than the Browns offense last season. The Browns are going to beat the Steelers opening day and Tyrod is going to be part of the reason why.

4 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Everybody wants to see Mayfield play. I do. All fans do. Mayfield is the ace in the hole when needed. Hue is playing his cards spot on this time and not betting the farm on a rookie who looks good in camp. Camp is bull $hit. Tyrod gives the Browns the best chance to win. His Buffalo passing stats are night and day different than the Browns offense last season. The Browns are going to beat the Steelers opening day and Tyrod is going to be part of the reason why.

KCUF AY

6 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Your philosophy is just way too chicken Sheet...

6 minutes ago, nickers said:

Your philosophy is just way too chicken Sheet...

No its not.

Its well thought out. Tyrod has training camps under his belt. He has started NFL regular season games and post season games. His 62% completion rate is nothing to ignore. I firmly believe that he will make guys like Coleman and Higgins better. 

5 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

No its not.

Its well thought out. Tyrod has training camps under his belt. He has started NFL regular season games and post season games. His 62% completion rate is nothing to ignore. I firmly believe that he will make guys like Coleman and Higgins better. 

LOl your high...Coleman sucks...

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sure, Taylor is in another league than Kessler and Hogan. But it was maddening to see Deshone get trotted out there last year week after week when you knew it was going to be yet another suck performance.  

That was last year....with the worst QB room in the history of the NFL.  It didn't even matter which bum he played.  Might as well go with the young bum. 

A year ago at this time I was saying how Kizer had a legit chance to win the starting job because the competition was so bad.  THIS year we at least have a fighting chance that the veteran starter can beat out the rookie draft pick.  That's what we should want.  We don't want to have to prop Mayfield up there on opening day against the Steelers.  That's turning up the pressure dial pretty high.  Let's let the season roll on for a while........and ease him into the position.   (of course, now that I've said that, Tyrod will trip and break his arm while exiting the tunnel on opening day)

7 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Broken hand 2 seasons in a row.

Excuses!.. They don't fly... You conveniently IGNORED the scouting report on him...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/corey-coleman?id=2555333

Weaknesses

Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

Broken hands or not.. HE CAN'T CATCH!

I gave you documented proof... You gave us BULL$HITT!

Now go suck your mothers dildo.....

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Excuses!.. They don't fly... You conveniently IGNORED the scouting report on him...

Weaknesses

Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

Hey Numbnuts

From your link.

STRENGTHS

Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

WEAKNESSES

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 1 or 2

SOURCES TELL US

"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

NFL COMPARISON

John Brown

BOTTOM LINE

Dangerous vertical talent with the ability to get over the top of defenders who fail to recognize his blazing quickness off the line of scrimmage. Coleman can get instant separation to create favorable passing windows and is one of the top playmakers in this draft. Coleman's issues with drops near the middle of the field could be a concern if teams see him next as a slot receiver due to his lack of size. Regardless, he can line up outside and win and he offers immediate punt return help.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:46 AM, hoorta said:

Exactly. Last year Hue was content to let a far less talented Kizer stink up the joint- so now, it's 180 time and play Taylor regardless. Sure, I have the opinion it's far better to have Baker sit and watch for at least 1\2 the season- OTOH, Wentz got thrown into the fire week one- and it didn't seem to phase him.  

FWIW, Hue WANTED Brock Ostrich to be worth the time and money the FO wasted on him so he didn't have to gag on Kizer.  I remembered hearing him say he wanted to go with a veteran instead of experience. During the preseason, Ostrich couldn't throw a football into Lake Erie from the wet rocks touching it. Kizer could only throw the ball over Lake Erie to Canada when we just needed a touch pass or quick out.  It was pick your poison and live it.  When we started Hogan, he had more turnovers than a bakery. That doesn't bail Corey Coleman out for dropping the ball vrs Pittsburgh.  It was a 2 way street here where we had the worst WR Corps in the NFL working with the worst QB situation and what many deemed the worst OC.   

So, we changed FO and got better choices at QB,WR and OC.  Love hearing what Baker is doing with his new teammates and playbook.  I think he's going to be great if we don't rush it. Keep in mind, he hasn't seen 1 opposing defense yet where he not only has to know our playbook but all disguised schemes/ alignments within the limited time he'll have for pre-snap reads.  Aside from that, we will have a inexperienced LT that is built like a Guard and trained all off-season to face 330-350 lb DTs instead of the Von Miller.  While I think Bitonio can settle in do a nice job - there's a reason he's expressed some concerns in spite of his willingness to put "team before I."  All that being the case, I don't mind seeing Taylor begin the year as the starter especially if he continues his low volume of INTs. 

IF Taylor disappoints, does Haley look like the kind of guy that will accept that for an extended period?  He'll be swearing in 5 different languages in Hue's in ear at rock concert decibels.

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Weaknesses

Also

Coleman has only played in 19 games and 10 were as a rookie and 9 were with Kizer. Taylor will make Coleman better.

Everybody wants to go back and change the draft after some guys look bad and others look great. Its Colemans 3rd and final season with the Browns. I dont see how they can keep him if he does not get better. 

10 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Also

Coleman has only played in 19 games and 10 were as a rookie and 9 were with Kizer. Taylor will make Coleman better.

Everybody wants to go back and change the draft after some guys look bad and others look great. Its Colemans 3rd and final season with the Browns. I dont see how they can keep him if he does not get better. 

Image result for coleman dropped catch gif

So that was Kizer's fault? Dude can't catch, and can't stay healthy. It happens (cough Greg Little cough), and while he deserves a last shot he's shown very little at this point.

Hue keeps saying Tyrod is the starting qb, because the media asks him EVERY SINGLE DAY! I have listened to three post-game press conferences and every single day their is a Tyrod vs Baker comment. What is he supposed to do? He gets dinged if he answers the question and he gets dinged if he doesn't answer the question. I actually think this is the smart play. let people know that Taylor is the starter and go into the season that way. 

This is not a Kizer situation where they want to "see" if Mayfield has it. Mayfield is proving he is legit (in shorts and t's of course so take it for now). But the Browns also know how much media scrutiny there is going to be especially with Hard Knocks around. They are going to slow play him as long as possible because they KNOW he is their qb of the future but they also know they need to win ball games. Taylor is GOING TO WIN some games. plain and simple. He is at the very worst a solid NFL qb. If the browns can get a little momentum and start to get the feel of a winning culture, especially early on, this team is going to start to play relaxed football. However, the opposite is true. If they start to lose early, and Baker is the starter not only will moral be down, but the questions of was he the best choice at #1. This is assuming he is playing well. Imagine if he is not playing well and someone such as Rosen or Darnold are having good starts to their careers? Jackson is playing the long term game and Dorsey is letting him go. Plus, this drives competition to the rest of the team as they are proving it does not matter where you are drafted, the best players are going to play. 

(Side Bar, I really like most of these rookie qb's and think at the very least they are going to be solid nfl qbs. The more i think about it, Rosen was my favorite qb from a skills perspective but Baker is exactly what the browns need for this team. He's smart, has a swag, he connects really well with the fan base, and he is a worker. He may not be the most gifted, but he clearly fits the personality and the culture the Browns are building).

Archived