THE BROWNS BOARD

Every pass from every Tyrod Taylor game last year (YouTube)

Adoug319

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Going to watch more later but watched a couple and think I may need both Duke Johnson and Njoku in fantasy. 

Duke might be dirty in a PPR league.  The amount of catches, both designed and check down that Shady got was insane. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Why not?   Duke is as good a weapon as we may have.  Just get him the ball and you would see the Jukin' Duke!

If he is getting that kind of yardage then the ball isn't being pushed downfield to our receivers.  Meaning the offense will be highly limited, with defenses allowing the underneath stuff to the backs and keeping things in front of them since the offense is behind schedule.  

A more acceptable number would be 60.    60 receptions, a high % of them for first downs using Duke for what he can be - a chain moving matchup nightmare with YAC being a secondary.

It will hopefully be very refreshing watching a QB who makes the smart, safe move. Watched first five weeks of the videos and it goes to show how important a QB's job can be just to get it in the hands of play makers. Shady must have gotten them 5-6 first downs on a decision Browns QB's haven't been making in ages it seems like.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If he is getting that kind of yardage then the ball isn't being pushed downfield to our receivers.  Meaning the offense will be highly limited, with defenses allowing the underneath stuff to the backs and keeping things in front of them since the offense is behind schedule.  

A more acceptable number would be 60.    60 receptions, a high % of them for first downs using Duke for what he can be - a chain moving matchup nightmare with YAC being a secondary.

Duke CAN get 1000 yards receiving...on 60 receptions...if he really breaks a lot of plays, which he is highly capable of doing.  But I would be OK with 60 catches...and fewer yards. 10 yards per catch would be OK...in other words, 600 yds. 

Besides, as far as I am concerned, I do NOT think that this offense needs to look like it has the Mad Bomber at the helm.  Making first downs.  Sustaining drives,  having a solid to top notch run game, keeping our defense off the field,  to me would be a far more attainable...and productive type of offense.  Do we shoot the occasional big gun? Absolutely.   But we still need to eat our bread and butter before we dine on caviar. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Duke CAN get 1000 yards receiving...on 60 receptions...if he really breaks a lot of plays, which he is highly capable of doing.  But I would be OK with 60 catches...and fewer yards. 10 yards per catch would be OK...in other words, 600 yds. 

Besides, as far as I am concerned, I do NOT think that this offense needs to look like it has the Mad Bomber at the helm.  Making first downs.  Sustaining drives,  having a solid to top notch run game, keeping our defense off the field,  to me would be a far more attainable...and productive type of offense.  Do we shoot the occasional big gun? Absolutely.   But we still need to eat our bread and butter before we dine on caviar. 

That makes sense with the runners and OL they are building around there.

Control the clock, don't keep burning out the defense like in recent years.......which outside of the DBs has shown some potential. 

One of the things Taylor does VERY well is avoid pressure and scramble around in and around the pocket in a highly controlled, disciplined and economic manner, always looking downfield really good way, not (THANK GOD!) like Johnny Football where he's running around like he's playing with his nephews at a backyard bbq.  Buying this sort of time in the pocket creates huge gaps in the defense with the potential for MONSTER chunk yardage plays for Duke Johnson getting massive YAC.  Especially this is true late in the first half or in the second half when the defense has been gentled up and tired out considerably  by a punishing, bruising style of rushing attack.

Archived