THE BROWNS BOARD

Dez on his way ?

darren15

24 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Thanks for the reminder. Pryor gave us over 1000 yards on a team that went 1-15 with QBs like Kessler, Whitehurst, Hogan and RG3andout.   Britt came here for way more money and gave us far less effort and production with the guy that beat out Kessler.  NOBODY except maybe Poe wanted Kizer replaced more than me last year.  That doesn't mean Britt didn't perform anywhere near like a 1st round WR in 2015, 2104, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009.  

As I said before, I lived in Nashville throughout Britt's disappointing tenure on and off the field as a 1st round draft pick. THAT, not to be confused with just 9 games with Kizer, was enough of a 1st impression to justify why I think he sucks.  Already told you that earlier in our discussion but it's not what your Kizer alibi wanted to hear.  In a 9 year career, Britt had only 1 year that resembled 1st round performance (not to be confused with 9 forgettable weeks in Cleveland). 

If he wasn't on NE's roster - we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

I was hoping that Britt would replace Pryor and if you go back and see all my comments supported Sashi for letting Pryor go. He wanted way too much money and we saw what happened to him last year in Washington. Everything looked good on paper with Britt bringing a 1000 yard season with him.

Britt is not a guy who comes in and makes Kizer better. He is not a Michael Jordan. If he makes the team this year which is looking more and more likely, Britt could be a good # 3 or even a # 2 WR.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would come with less baggage than Dez ?

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo
FollowFollow @MikeGarafolo
More

The #Bengals are cutting WR Brandon LaFell, his agent Jonathan Feinsod tells me. “We have been lobbying for his release for some time now and appreciate the Bengals granting our request,” Feinsod said.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:17 PM, boo fagley said:

They have to learn the teams offense and terminology.

Its not that easy.

No, I am arguing that Britt has shown flashes of being very good.

For what he was being paid, those flashes were far too infrequent to keep him around. Add in a bad attitude, it was little wonder the first thing Dorsey did was show him the door.

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For what he was being paid, those flashes were far too infrequent to keep him around. Add in a bad attitude, it was little wonder the first thing Dorsey did was show him the door.

The Britt signing made absolutely no sense to me in the first place.. I get that we needed pass catchers.. But this a$$ was a complete churl...

On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 AM, boo fagley said:

Not true at all.

Just looking at Britts entire body of work. Like his 3 games with 3 TDs and approximately 300 yards.

Where he was drafted is irrelevant at this point.

Britt did not get a fair shake in Cleveland, but he also should not have shot his way out of town. So, I can see why you would be upset.

Heading into last year, I was right where you are today about the 2016 season thinking it was an ideal turning point for him.   We're fans, we want we to see the positives in guys we gotta count on.  

When I lived in Nashville during his entire time there, he was a streaky player where he'd cluster in some big games like you said.  Then he'd trend the dropsies for extended period to the point he got benched for them one of the years. His lack of professionalism and preparation off the field were often mentioned on the Sport Radio show TheFAN in Nashville by former Titans Frank Wychek and Blaine Bishop.  There was constantly off the field issues in 2011 and 2012 in Nashville and New Jersey.  They miss him in Nashville about as much as Paris Hilton misses her last case of crabs.

NE is probably the best place he can be whether it's the GOAT QBing or one of the GOAT as a HC challenging him.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:23 AM, boo fagley said:

Because he did not know the offense.

Its not baseball.

He didn't know the offense because it's not baseball?  You're going that far with the 2017 alibi after crying hysterically if he only had a real QB?   Now that he was given Tom Brady - you're at how terrible of NE to expect a 9 year veteran WR to pick up a playbook like a professional to the extent he can at least contribute part time for the rest of the year? We're talking 2 rec for 23 yards and 0 TDs in 3 games in NE. Then again, contributing would require some degree of willingness to prepare like a professional that has evaded Britt for all but 1 of his 9 years. 

Now why would Belichick consider adding an experienced veteran late in the year?  Because has the following example of when that worked out well for him. LeGarrette Blount quit the Steelers in week 11 and was signed by NE in week 12 of 2014.  That never prevented him from contributing 281 yards and 3 TDs rushing plus adding 34 yards receiving in part time duty.  When your full time gig is football this shouldn't be impossible for vets changing teams late in the year to contribute. No excuses required...

RB Jay Ajayi also played part of the year for Miami in 2017 and finished his final 7 weeks in Philly.  He rushed for 408 yards at 5.8 yard per carry and added 10 receptions for 91 yards while splitting reps 3 ways with Blount and Clement. Again, no excuses required...

The message is what it has always been.  If you fail to prepare; then you should prepare to fail. 

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

He didn't know the offense because it's not baseball?  You're going that far with the 2017 alibi after crying hysterically if he only had a real QB?   Now that he was given Tom Brady - you're at how terrible of NE to expect a 9 year veteran WR to pick up a playbook like a professional to the extent he can at least contribute part time for the rest of the year? We're talking 2 rec for 23 yards and 0 TDs in 3 games in NE. Then again, contributing would require some degree of willingness to prepare like a professional that has evaded Britt for all but 1 of his 9 years. 

Now why would Belichick consider adding an experienced veteran late in the year?  Because has the following example of when that worked out well for him. LeGarrette Blount quit the Steelers in week 11 and was signed by NE in week 12 of 2014.  That never prevented him from contributing 281 yards and 3 TDs rushing plus adding 34 yards receiving in part time duty.  When your full time gig is football this shouldn't be impossible for vets changing teams late in the year to contribute. No excuses required...

RB Jay Ajayi also played part of the year for Miami in 2017 and finished his final 7 weeks in Philly.  He rushed for 408 yards at 5.8 yard per carry and added 10 receptions for 91 yards while splitting reps 3 ways with Blount and Clement. Again, no excuses required...

The message is what it has always been.  If you fail to prepare; then you should prepare to fail. 

Nobody is crying.

Britt knew the Browns offense. Thats why teams sign players before camp starts. He had no QB.

Briit did not have the NE offense down. Despite you thinking that its easy to learn and plug and play, its not. Chad Jackson and Tory Holt never got it. Why do think they go to super bowls? Because the offense is extremely complicated for WRs. 

RBs like Ajay primarily do 1 job - run. Your own stats confirm that he was not a big part of the passing game.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Nobody is crying.

Britt knew the Browns offense. Thats why teams sign players before camp starts. He had no QB.

Briit did not have the NE offense down. Despite you thinking that its easy to learn and plug and play, its not. Chad Jackson and Tory Holt never got it. Why do think they go to super bowls? Because the offense is extremely complicated for WRs. 

RBs like Ajay primarily do 1 job - run. Your own stats confirm that he was not a big part of the passing game.

Believe it or not we actually agree on some stuff.  Yes, experienced RBs learn the playbook and execute their specific role their new team cuts out for them.  For example, Ajayi and Blount in their new shared workloads with 2 other RBs.  NE already knew Blount wasn't a favorable matchup in the passing game so his main role when they threw was prolly pass pro while someone like White or Deion Lewis at the time was the RB they preferred to throw to. 

It's really no different or more complicated for experienced WRs IMO. When a guy gets traded near the end of the year, he's not going to be the workhorse RB (see above) or #1 or #2 WR responsible for anything/everything in the playbook.  He's going to take on a specific role and be expected to know/perform it like a vet.   Belichick already knew the routes Britt could and couldn't run so he wasn't going to ask him to be Brandin Cooks, Julian Edleman or  Danny Amendola or have the entire playbook down.  Kenny's not a change of direction/hips guy. He's a big levered long strider that can jump so he's more cut out for the posts, drags, flags and slants.  As you know, they like to move Gronk around all over the formation especially in the red zone.  Being a matchup daddy like that is a big reason he usually leads them in TD receptions.  The HC that always emphasizes "DO YOUR JOB" has very specified roles for his WRs.  I don't think this is as impossible for vets to learn as your side of the argument wants it to be.

Torry Holt was a rookie of the year in Mike Martz' complicated offense which tells me he can learn and master an NFL playbook as fast as necessary. He played 10 years for the Rams and 1 year for Jax.  He lost a step and Father Time covered him like Revis Island. That's probably the biggest reason there were never any stats for him in NE.  

On 8/4/2018 at 11:40 AM, hoorta said:

How was your board vacation? Good to see you back. :)

You mean "bored"? ;)

In either case it was great... rode coasters and bounced grandkids on knees.

Batteries are recharged... there's the smell of pigskin in the air... and soon we'll actually have some observations to disagree about!

Ain't it grand?

On 8/4/2018 at 12:40 PM, hoorta said:

How was your board vacation? Good to see you back. :)

And I thought Tour was the chairman of the board......somewhere.

.......Or chairman of the bored here?  :lol:

On 8/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, Tour2ma said:

In either case it was great... rode coasters and bounced grandkids on knees.

Batteries are recharged... there's the smell of pigskin in the air... and soon we'll actually have some observations to disagree about!

Ain't it grand?

Coasters with no Pork Chops on a Stick..Get your Popcorn ready? https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/05/kelly-outshines-lynch-in-broncos-scrimmage/37315763/  ya need any salt for a open wound?

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Coasters with no Pork Chops on a Stick..Get your Popcorn ready? https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/05/kelly-outshines-lynch-in-broncos-scrimmage/37315763/  ya need any salt for a open wound?

lol... I would, but being "right" is the ultimate salve. ;)

Even sweeter when the forum's #1 a$$ is backing the other guy... 😄

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Well....always thought that Kelly could have a chance to make it if he could get over his injuries and his off field issues.

2 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

I would, more name chasing- it happens every year. The big question is Gordon coming back, & Calaway not being in trouble with the league over his traffic stop. That pans out on a positive note- there's zero need for Dez. Bryant got cut from the Cowboys for the same reason we sent Coleman packing. His recent production isn't anywhere close to the kind of salary he's going to want. Notice the comments from Cowboy fans on NFL.com? Almost all negative. Supposed locker room problem too.  

I really don't think Dorsey is the kind of guy who's pushing the panic button yet. But he is managing for the potential scenario of not having Josh. Just doing due diligence, bringing in guys for a look-see, in case.  If Gordo's still not here in a couple weeks, then it's time to pull the trigger on what will certainly be a one year high rent player. 

35 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

If Gordon and Callaway miss time.  That means lower production for Landry.  Dez will require defense to cover him.

Expecting the dez from 3 years ago?  He ain't scaring anyone anymore, and would only disrupt the lockeroom. 

To your point, IF flash and calloway miss time...no reason to even think about dez till they actually do miss time 

I don't expect Callaway or Gordon to be here.  And our run game Is like having Richardson and crow on the backfield.  

All teams have to do cover Landry real good and we don't have a pass game.  Next man up are scrubs.  

No run game, no pass game we will need to really on our d half a season ?

turn your head and cough;)  https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/dez-bryant/3366  google up Jones fracture surgery on a foot.(julio jones still ain't right) add that to the same right leg with knee. Dez might have passed Ravens physical? but passed on a multi year deal, wanting 1 year prove it money towards FA..As posted before, if Dez wants Haden money about 7M for a year, sign me up..than prove it..  

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

I don't expect Callaway or Gordon to be here.  And our run game Is like having Richardson and crow on the backfield.  

All teams have to do cover Landry real good and we don't have a pass game.  Next man up are scrubs.  

No run game, no pass game we will need to really on our d half a season ?

Mike, you're positing a "worst case" scenario.  FWIW, that's exactly why Dorsey will take a look at Dez, 

Archived