THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Plays LT?

gumby73

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/07/30/shon-coleman-trying-to-hold-onto-left-tackle-job-as-browns-search-for-answer/  Dorsey/coaches can evaluate Coleman from camp tape. Sure I watch every passing play at camp. Than watch it a 2nd time only watching LT position. Media should have a concern. With 2 LT's out injured, we can't evaluate guys standing in floppy hats.Enter T Kevin Bowen,who was not drafted, and out injured in both his seasons with Skins. Wylie & Dorsey need to turn over every rock at a position that is being questioned like almost everyday..        

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bito ain't movin'...

LT is Shon's job to lose... and I still do not think he will lose it.

Corbett was a luxury pick, but he gives us great inside flexibility and an emergency OT. Ultimately I think he wins the Center job.

Yes, seriously.   Why move a player who is Pro Bowl caliber where he is?  You probably just weaken 2 spots then. Let the LT candidates fight it out for the slot, Coleman, Robinson, maybe Harrison.  If none of them cut the mustard, we will have to make do until they find another FA...or draft a guy next year that can.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, seriously.   Why move a player who is Pro Bowl caliber where he is?  You probably just weaken 2 spots then. Let the LT candidates fight it out for the slot, Coleman, Robinson, maybe Harrison.  If none of them cut the mustard, we will have to make do until they find another FA...or draft a guy next year that can.

And next year's draft appears loaded for LTs...

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And next year's draft appears loaded for LTs...

a good old poke in the eye and we have not hit the preseason.. 

🛑 Fortune cookie wisdom    

Saw Corbett up close, he looks like a LT. Was in at second team LT every day after Greg’s concussion.

LT is a scary weakness right now. I don’t understand their plan.

I agree with Tour about Corbett potentially moving to center. Talked about that a lot with Petrak last Friday.

7 hours ago, Mike H said:

LT is a scary weakness right now. I don’t understand their plan.

thanks mike, Does S.Coleman still look slow getting out of 3 point, and a tick behind the snap? His auburn teammate Greg Robinson seems to have the same issue? But I have read, Robinson was not to bad looking at LT before injury..I also read Brian O'Neill at Vikes projects to RT for now. Vikes plan is adding weight to O'Neill to 305lbs., with a final goal of 315lbs..Robinson could stand to lose some imo.Does Corbett really look at position over 300lbs parked next to Bitonio?

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Not just any fattass will do.

Not a bad start for Joel at LT..  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/post_225.html#incart_river_index   Pecking order going into team scrimage today..1's=Bitonio.. 2's & 3's =were split with S.Coleman playing 3 to 1 snaps over G.Robinson (might be brought back slowly till today) Harrison still on Pup & I've seen a few snaps with T Kevin Bowen we picked up off Skins with 3's..Feeling like a big scrimmage with the 2's for S.Coleman,G.Robinson & Bowen..Please put Baker in a big bright Red Jersey..;) 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Not a bad start for Joel at LT..  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/post_225.html#incart_river_index   Pecking order going into team scrimage today..1's=Bitonio.. 2's & 3's =were split with S.Coleman playing 3 to 1 snaps over G.Robinson (might be brought back slowly till today) Harrison still on Pup & I've seen a few snaps with T Kevin Bowen we picked up off Skins with 3's..Feeling like a big scrimmage with the 2's for S.Coleman,G.Robinson & Bowen..Please put Baker in a big bright Red Jersey..;) 

I loved how Myles gave him a respectful tap at the end of the last play. I think we found our LT!!!!!👍

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Great clip in that link. Probably watched it 5 times and l gotta say that’s some hope inducing shìt.

They threw it all at him. Spin moves in and out, bull rushes, hand fighting, speed rushes, delayed rushers that he had to release and pick up. And l didn’t see much TE help in those clips. It really looks like they threw the book at him to see if he can speed read, and he can!

Camp reports seem to say he held his own but the interior suffered with 2 new guards snd a Tretter off day. Tried to pick up some of daid suffering in that clip but tough camera angle to do that. 

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Camp reports seem to say he held his own but the interior suffered with 2 new guards snd a Tretter off day. Tried to pick up some of daid suffering in that clip but tough camera angle to do that. 

At 1-31, I will never be a fan of a Veterans Day off..Tretter should have been told "get your butt out there were starting a new LT & a drafted LG today" Move Tretter's damm day off to the weekend..Glad you enjoyed the clip. Hop on the Joel Train..He's got this.. 

Well...shows what I know. C'mon Shon... get in the mix!

On 7/31/2018 at 10:45 PM, Mike H said:

I agree with Tour about Corbett potentially moving to center. Talked about that a lot with Petrak last Friday.

Not again...

More fun when we vociferously disagree... ;)

39 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Is Robinson that bad?  He might do good once he is off protocol.

He's been bad elsewhere. Not played much here. And Robinson got back playing 2 days ago..As we speak at today's practice, Greg Robinson was just elevated to the 2's at LT behind Bitonio. While S.Coleman was moved to the 2's At RT behind Hubbard..

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

He's lost over 50 lbs.  He's a football alum now. 

He could be ready by game oneHe could be ready by game one Or at least until the left tackles we are playing now prove they can’t do the job somewhere you know the 1/3 mark of the season

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

He's lost over 50 lbs.  

I've searched, the web over, and think I've found JT's 50lbs.. https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/joe_thomas_teams_with_great_la.html  OK you Akron Rubber Ducks Fans! Who's stashing all these.. Thanks Joe! Hoagies Roll Sammies?👀Who here has tried a Rye Oh Rye Can't we Win? Brew-haha'ski..And how do I pre order this 73 Kolsch before September football kicks off?🍺🍺🍺 ( Joe brother, come on man. How do you ever move when your next door neighbor owns a brewery? What a life..)

On 7/31/2018 at 10:23 AM, The Gipper said:

If the Coleman project is already a disaster they might not have any choice.  Defenses like to place their best pass rusher off the edge across from the LT so we're putting our best Offensive Linemen there.  Since this is Taylor's blind side - it needs to be done IMO.  Before they started contact drills, they were hoping Coleman could be the guy and Bitonio could stay in his established comfort zone.

It seems like most our offensive linemen are better wired to be Guards at the NFL level (even though the following guys were LTs their final year of college ball - Coleman, Drango, Bitonio and Corbett).  That said, if we didn't already have the Joe Thomas standard at LT the entire time Bitonio was here - he might already be a reliable LT here if Joe was never here. 

These NFL edge rushers have the fast twitch jets that we can't be screwing around with if Coleman can't get out of his stance on time.  The time to change this is when our QBs are still wearing the red jersey or we're going to run out of QBs in September.  Gumby's been worried about this and I gave him my rose colored glasses view we'll be ite with Coleman.  Sorry Gumbs!  Wrong again betting with my heart.  Whoever ends up there will also probably have Fells helping him out when/if needed.

Keep in mind, not all of the 330-350 lb DTs get out of their stances nearly as quickly as the guys like Aaron Donald at 285 lbs or Geno Atkins at 300 lbs so guys like Drango or Corbett should be far less overwhelmed at OG than they would be with opponents' best pass rushers off the edge.  The limited amount of space at OG in pass pro should also work in their favor easier than having nobody to 1 side of them. Between the experience we've already given Drango in some of the unbalanced lines and fill-in duty at OG - he might be a great challenge for Dorsey's 2nd round pick.  We also have Reiter back if that all doesn't pan out.

If Bitonio can give us the solution we never thought we had - that's huge!   My biggest worry about him is staying healthy because I think he went on IR in 2015 and 2016. Not to state the obvious but our depth at LT is terrifying.

20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

He's been bad elsewhere. Not played much here. And Robinson got back playing 2 days ago..As we speak at today's practice, Greg Robinson was just elevated to the 2's at LT behind Bitonio. While S.Coleman was moved to the 2's At RT behind Hubbard..

Sounds like the Great Shon Coleman Left Tackle experiment is officially over...

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Sounds like the Great Shon Coleman Left Tackle experiment is officially over...

Zombo

Z-man, same thing stuck out to you, as me before camp rolled around.."We will play are best 5 OL-men" But really did position matter? Seems like it did with Corbett already on board. I'm just releived they did not try to embrass the kid right out the shoot at a position Corbett don't fit..(just yet)  thought this lays out the land very well..  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/8/5/17651284/trying-to-make-sense-of-the-browns-ol-decisions-ez-likes-sunday-morning-8-5-18-cleveland-football       Seems Shon Coleman is hanging on by 2 shoelaces..one named Greg Robinson and the other named Desmond Harrison..Bad timing for the toe pup list, ehhh

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

These NFL edge rushers have the fast twitch jets that we can't be screwing around with if Coleman can't get out of his stance on time.  The time to change this is when our QBs are still wearing the red jersey or we're going to run out of QBs in September.  Gumby's been worried about this and I gave him my rose colored glasses view we'll be ite with Coleman.  Sorry Gumbs!  Wrong again betting with my heart.  Whoever ends up there will also probably have Fells helping him out when/if needed.

Flug's you owe me no such thing. Your talking to a old TE that has not got a OT right since JT was in College..I was just getting tired of waiting for Tour2ma to crawl out of his cave that Tour apparently saved a whole village of kid soccer players & their coaches🤣..Maybe, just maybe I also tripped over finding JT's back-up..DBone may know a little guy out in Cali that maybe our secret luck charm..  

On 8/4/2018 at 3:23 PM, LBC mike said:

Is Robinson that bad?  He might do good once he is off protocol.

Yes... way over-hyped coming out of college. A half-hour of his tape was all it took to see that. But he did win The Combine!

He was (and presumably still is) athletic. He simple had (has) no tech and questionable grey matter. Still he'll get chance after chance because if everything did come together on that athletic base he might be really good.

Hell... even Tony Mandarich had a couple good seasons near the end of his career... I believe with Indy.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/8/13/17682892/two-browns-make-pffs-preseason-week-1-team-of-the-week

Brief article on the “PFF all star team of the week” where they choose players based on a formula that balances good performance against extended playing time. So Taylor, who had a great performance but not a lot of playing time, did not make it. Two Browns did though.

Njoku and Greg Robinson.

Robinson apparently had quite the game in 44 snaps. Also read that in yesterday’s practice they slid Bitonio back to guard and put Robinson in for a few snaps with the starters. Food for thought.

update.. https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/08/548c3bdf403636/how-did-joel-bitonio-look-at-l.html#incart_big-photo  Greg Robinson took some reps at LT with Bitonio moving back to LG at practice Monday. Means nothing to Hue🤔. RG Kevin Zeitler is now riding bike at practice..food for thought? Durango can't push Corbett (rough debut) at LG position if Zeitler continues bike riding..And I don't see that changing with Nurse Jackson 🤕 holding the patients flow charts..    

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL!😂

Zeitler is a animal, that missed zero snaps at camp last season while JT & Tretter got days of them. I'd almost bet Zeitler wants those preseason game 3 snaps..

Hit and hope from Sheet for brains Hue Jackson shows no sign of abaiting

Greg Robinson at LT is a complete waste of time and as for giving Bitonio reps back at guard so soon. Embarrassing

Give Robinson reps at the guard spots but that would be too obvious for Captain Numpty 

Archived