THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Plays LT?

gumby73

No shocker here..Am no Tour2ma but let's discuss our options that we are left with at LT.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-team-stats?season=2017&week=100&category=OFFENSIVE+LINE                                                                                           Bob Wylie has stated many times that "we will start our best 5 guys at each position". Well we certainly hope so, cause Bob Wylie's big butt is just as hot as Huejax's coaching seat.JT would not be easy cleats to fill for any team. Been his largest fan since Wisconsin. JT fit the size & weight of most good LT's. But Scout knuckleheads said his arms were to short (33 7/8"). Well soon they would all find out that Joe would out think them in his smooth quick technique that was Joe Thomas. Most good LT's in the NFL game, range from 6'4" up to JT's height at 6'7".And Most weighted what Joe's playing weight was at 310lbs. up to Whitworth playing weight of 335lbs. If you looked at the link above?Tretter & Zeitler need to stay put. Pass pro leading to sacks is not on them & their PFF stats prove it.Remember most running plays go towards RT/RG.Your 2 best road-grade blockers are mostly played there. Looks to set up that way now, with Hubbard who turned L.Bell loose & now Greg Robinson who can run block but in pass pro is Not G00d allowing 23 sacks in 52 games.37 penalties that include 12 false starts & 21 holding calls. All this to get to the Can a dates..  I will start with the guy that Wylie imo may lose patience with first A.) Shon Coleman-6'5"-307-35 1/8" arms. B.)A.Corbett-6'4"-306-33 1/8" arms. C.)D.Harrison-6'6"-292LBS.-34" arms... Are the 3 leaders on the depth chart.D.)S.Durango 6'6"-315-33 3/4"arms (gave up 10 sacks from same position in 2017) E.)Greg Robinson 6'6"-332-35 1/2" arms. F.)Joel Bitonio-6'4"-302-33 7/8" arms...So I through in the size's cause none of them have the tech's of JT at LT. Here's who I think Wylie starts week 1..LT-Bitonio/ LG-A.Corbett/ C-Tretter/ RG-Zeitler/ RT-Hubbard   

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe I'd be happier if a 6'7" 310-15lb'ish guy with over a 34" reach was on our roster? there are'.. legit LT's all over the league that measure up, but not with us. so am failing to find G.Robinson/Durango or S.Coleman,(that do match those measurements)  Being our best options to protect their own blindsides,backsides nor buttsides

Haley is smart enough to get the LT help with Fells at TE. But we got to mix it up and send Fells too. Hyde made a living chipping behind LT's at 9'ers. Chubb can too. Hue was a easy playbook to read on game days. Haley,not so much.

sure. I think Bitonio should stay at LG unless it's a critical emergency. Corbett will take some time and be

a really fine OG. Asking Hubbard to flip to the left is asking too much too quickly, I think. I believe it's Coleman at LT,

Bitonio/Tretter/Zeitler/Hubbard. Coleman is powerful, and still has the feet and temperament to play LT. He's no Joe Thomas, though.

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Interesting take Gumby. Do you think Bito has the footwork and bend though? That seemed to be the thing that separated JT from average LTs is flexibility and light on his feet when he had to be. 

Thanks, All along, I believed that Bitionio was in line and tutored by Joe to take the LT position. Playing beside Joe can't hurt his cause. Wylie maybe correct not wanting to slide Joel over? but Joel has never played G without the help to his left side before either. Joel's base footwork mostly leaves him in balance. S.Colemans wide base (that gets wider when moving) footwork leaves him knocked off balance many times at RT. but it's been a long time since Coleman has played LT. So i shall wait,read & see..The Bend of LT's falls in the wait & see also. JT would stick to a guy like a magnet, making longer arms a non-issue. Bitonio has seemed to learn the same technique with same size arms as JT.  What we don't like to see is the off balance lunges that Coleman & Corbett have to be coached out of. Won't be long cause Camp day one is finally here..Wylie wants to see them in pads? Well bring them on! Line Myles Garrett up across from them and let the bodies hit the floor..    

because:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769355-austin-corbett-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-cleveland-browns-pick

his NFL comparison is Bitonio - well worth the 33 pick. Think of having two of them as good as Bitonio, and they

man each OG position in the near future. He could fit in at OG/C/maybe...RT...

he was a terrific value pick.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot  Day 1 in the Books.. roll down- to pass rush #browns training camp-..blow it up... for Myles vs S.Coleman & Joel gets Bello's.. give it some effort,but Yikes! Coleman.. Edit-T Desmond Harrison was out with a ankle.(dab it') Shon Coleman started at LT with the 1's. The 2's with Baker, were Greg Robinson LT, Austin Corbett LG..Your starting WR group was Landry,Calloway,Coleman..Baker tossed a beautiful bomb to Calloway down the right sideline defended by #21 which I find nowhere on the roster--Hee Hee..the crowd went nutz..(Denzel Ward was the defender in the team drill) Who fell down and couldn't get up? Daniel Ekuale-DL-Calf.Caleb Brantley-Cramps/TE-Cajuste-concussion/WR Ratley-Hip..Peppers & Chad Thomas also did not practice..   

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't see the advantage of potentially weakening two positions for the sake of another.  Unless Shon looks that out of place on the left side.  Which we haven't had a live look at in pre-season even. 

Especially when Bitonio is on record saying that too much time has gone by for him to go back to LT, and that he's a guard in the NFL. 

The Browns better hope Shon Coleman is up for the job, at least at a mediocre level for the time being. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Especially when Bitonio is on record saying that too much time has gone by for him to go back to LT, and that he's a guard in the NFL.  

got my attention,if the record is post-able, post it. I'd like to read it cause Wildhogg Wylie needs to know not to play Joel at LT during OTA's.;) Look, we have drafted butt backwards for years..imho, Corbett on his best day is a G or a Center in the nfl at best. But for any reason that we may have to slide Joel over to LT? Just remember the best LG in the draft that we passed on was at #33..was Will Hernandez.Honestly, do you think G.Williams had a lot to do with the drafting of Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb? Am thinking Wylie had his choice too. And Wylie "may" have... Wiffed! Tia is right, Certainly to early to tell..       

WHo cares? It's not like this is important. We had a "HOF (bullschidt) LT and went 1 - 31. The guy never made a difference on offense, and when he was injured, you couldnt' tell the difference. Meaningless position. A million guys can play that lardasss position.

The name of the game is pass & rush the passer.  Our two tackle spots are a main concern in the 'rush the passer' part of the game.

...yes, JT didn't win us any championships...but it's not his fault that they never gave him a good QB.

OL news of the day, Day 2..Bike riders=J.Collins,Zeitler,Tretter,Ratley,Peppers..1)Brantley walks to clubhouse,again more cramps. 2)T Greg Robinson was carted off late with Hue stating "got hit in head,evaluating 3.) With both starter out, Reiter & Drango played Center & Rt.Guard with the 1's (not Corbett)..LT=S.Coleman & LG=Bitonio stayed with 1's..Hue makes no promises but maybe Peppers returns next week.Hue let the cat out of the bag stating Peps "groin injury accured during offseason workout"..Hue asked about Pacman,Breland & Dez? Hue says "they not at practice, so no comments...1st Padded practice tomorrow..We did add a QB to play WR that was Cut from the CFL-Blake Jackson..DL Zaycoven Henderson from Texas A&M (more baggage,fair player) ..We sit at a full 90 man roster (for now)   

S.Coleman was backed up by Austin Corbett at LT spot day 3, 1st day of pads. Hue handled his presser well, regarding LT questions. But it always bothersome when the media's first few questions out of the box point directly at LT position. Red flags go up for me & 11 on 11 plays cannot be shown. Greg Robinson is now in concussion protocol.Desmond Harrison is still out with a ankle. So all the playing cards are not even on the table yet. Here's how Joel started his day..

LONG WAY TO GO..but team Captain could be in this guys future..

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

S.Coleman was backed up by Austin Corbett at LT spot day 3, 1st day of pads. Hue handled his presser well, regarding LT questions. But it always bothersome when the media's first few questions out of the box point directly at LT position. Red flags go up for me & 11 on 11 plays cannot be shown. Greg Robinson is now in concussion protocol.Desmond Harrison is still out with a ankle. So all the playing cards are not even on the table yet. Here's how Joel started his day..

LONG WAY TO GO..but team Captain could be in this guys future..

He’s a good interview. Watched the whole thing. Gives some insight into the difference between playing guard vs. tackle in layman’s terms.

Also the first l’ve heard about Tretter tweaking his diet and putting on 10 more lbs. That could be big for us if he can maintain his quickness with the extra weight. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:45 PM, gumby73 said:

got my attention,if the record is post-able, post it. I'd like to read it cause Wildhogg Wylie needs to know not to play Joel at LT during OTA's.;) Look, we have drafted butt backwards for years..imho, Corbett on his best day is a G or a Center in the nfl at best. But for any reason that we may have to slide Joel over to LT? Just remember the best LG in the draft that we passed on was at #33..was Will Hernandez.Honestly, do you think G.Williams had a lot to do with the drafting of Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb? Am thinking Wylie had his choice too. And Wylie "may" have... Wiffed! Tia is right, Certainly to early to tell..       

Understanding Ogbah had 22.5 sacks in his last 2 years of college football up against Chubb's 20 sacks in his final 2 years - I didn't feel the same amount of position improvement that Denzel Ward offered us at #4 overall at CB in a division that has WRs to defend like Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Michael Crabtree, etc....

Yeah, to be honest, Hernandez excited me every but as much as the much more hyped Quenton Nelson.  When I saw how agile Hernandez was in that frame at Indy - it was jaw hitting the floor level of remarkable.  A lot of Nelson's highlights involved some double teams and trapping and pulling while Hernandez films showed him going John Deere tractor on guys 1 on 1.  I didn't know very much about Corbett at all.  I was worried we made an epic reach at first; but the more I read up on him the better I felt. Then I saw Dorsey celebrating like he was relieved we were able to draft him where we did so I'm sure he knew a lot more about the guy than I did.  I don't think this was a GREAT LT draft at all especially when we factor in our 2 first round draft.  I didn't feel like I found very much to complain about in this draft. My biggest nitpick that could be very easily contested is I wouldn't have minded it if we were the team that drafted Orlando Brown in round 3 instead of the Rats. I realize he didn't bench press or run the 40 like Tony Mandarach (who failed as a LT prior to succeeding as an OG on his next team); but I've seen some good highlights of Brown in a career where Mayfield said he didn't give up a sack in his last 2 seasons.

Just this week Joe Thomas gave Oline Coach Bob Wylie very high praise in an interview I caught. While the drop off at LT from Joe Thomas to anybody else is cause for concern - there's good news in the form of how much we upgraded the blocking at TE with the 6'7" 270 lb Darren Fells. It's also comforting to know Chris Hubbard has experience starting at RT in Haley's offense. We've got the personnel to do some unbalanced lines.  In the past when a guy recovered from a reconstructive knee surgery - it was often said he could expect to perform much closer to full capacity in the 2nd year post op. That's where I believe Shon Coleman is at now as he returns to the LT position he played at Auburn. The only question is, who am I trying to convince more - me or you?   All the time we never had to worry about LT - 2007 marked the only personnel group that could win 10 games (Pro Bowl TE, Pro Bowl WR, Pro Bowl Alternate QB, RB rushed for 1300 yards, Eric Steinbach at LG, JT at LT, etc). Now that we've finally added a lot of talent to the offense - LT seems like the only concern.  It's a good thing we won't have a cement shoe'd QB.   Hopefully, I'm not still calling the Warden - Anita Beer on Sundays...

22 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Gives some insight into the difference between playing guard vs. tackle in layman’s terms.

Also the first l’ve heard about Tretter tweaking his diet and putting on 10 more lbs. That could be big for us if he can maintain his quickness with the extra weight. 

Sounds like Joel got some "Hot takes" from JT on them layman T/G terms;). Good find by you on Tretter. I missed it, till your post. Adding 10lbs on Tretter can't hurt his run blocking. More signs Haley wants to involve the power running game. Tretter's pass pro numbers showed 1 sack on last season.Combo of 2 things A) That's a ox strong dude, playing under weight at center or B)them some fat,slow NT's, cause Kizer held the ball all day..  

20 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, to be honest, Hernandez excited me every but as much as the much more hyped Quenton Nelson.  When I saw how agile Hernandez was in that frame at Indy - it was jaw hitting the floor level of remarkable.  A lot of Nelson's highlights involved some double teams and trapping and pulling while Hernandez films showed him going John Deere tractor on guys 1 on 1.  I didn't know very much about Corbett at all.  I was worried we made an epic reach at first; but the more I read up on him the better I felt. 

Did ya hear my Sequoia fall in the woods with the words starting with "in college, Corbett played multiple positions on the OL" I wanted to punch my 60" TV..🤜 🤛  I'd almost bet Dorsey thur Highsmith, liked the nasty that Corbett can bring on game tape. We'll see what munster wants to swing first..Nobody from the Little Giants wants to mess with Hernandez in camp anymore..   

Bito ain't movin'...

LT is Shon's job to lose... and I still do not think he will lose it.

Corbett was a luxury pick, but he gives us great inside flexibility and an emergency OT. Ultimately I think he wins the Center job.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Bito ain't movin'...

LT is Shon's job to lose... and I still do not think he will lose it.

Corbett was a luxury pick, but he gives us great inside flexibility and an emergency OT. Ultimately I think he wins the Center job.

And you heard it here first...

So huh?

Archived