THE BROWNS BOARD

Extremist/right-wing violence

I seem to recall the right-wing, and many on this board, going crazy because Bush's DHS call for, and Obama's DHS later released, a report on domestic terrorist/extremist concerns. One part of it dealt with left-wing extremist groups, and one dealt with right-wing extremist groups.

Well, we've now seen our second incident of extremist violence in the last two weeks. The first targeted an abortion doctor, and the killer promised that more attacks are in the works. The second has now targeted Jews. We had two others last summer that targeted and killed liberals.

Anyone want to still claim that this shouldn't be a concern for DHS, the agency that is tasked with monitoring/preventing this type of thing?

Should they not issue any more reports?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe we should invade and declare war on these domestic terrorist.... I hear that is effective...... O wait we cant declare war on ourselves...

What not a peep from the right wing... Kind of like the Oklahoma city bombing which was handled by Law enforcement like it should have been.

That's stupid. I thought you libs hated "profiling"...

OH, but it's okay if it suits YOUR politics.

Making generalizations based on crimes commited by three people?

Dumb and dumber.

Crime exists. Cherry picking a few examples is just again, frantically

wanting to CYOA.

Anyone want to still claim that this shouldn't be a concern for DHS, the agency that is tasked with monitoring/preventing this type of thing?

I'll make the claim.

That is, if we don't dissolve the FBI. What are they up to now, anyway?

DHS is a waste. Thanks to DHS, Virginia Beach City police got 5 brand new Boston Whaler Boats (and underacheivers to pilot them) ranging in size from 21'-32' A 17' Whaler CC is $50k stripped - before our heros over-power & over-outfit them.

Yeah my guess is he wasn't trained by Hezbollah to become one of those suicide bombers

He didn't get one of those cool vest that explode he only had a 22 rifle.

Its a shame people have so much hatred.

I think we haven't seen the beginning of the civil unrest we are going to see.

The problem is it isn't always just going to be whack jobs protesting. Pretty soon it is going to be normal folks labeled something as they protest first, then fight back against the way things are run.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, Heck. The Hulkster can sometimes just take over a situation.

I absolutely think the reports should be released. I think the DHS has served it's purpose. Hindsight is always 20/20, but DHS should have been a 5 yr "intervention" type supplement to our security measures. If nothing more to aggregate intel and help coordinate logistics like a temporary INTERPOL.

I think we haven't seen the beginning of the civil unrest we are going to see.

The problem is it isn't always just going to be whack jobs protesting. Pretty soon it is going to be normal folks labeled something as they protest first, then fight back against the way things are run.

I think Team Obummly and DHS know that its going to be a while before the economy turns around, then throw in that people are allready pissed off over losing their savings retirement jobs whatever it be, then DHS makes idiotic statements its like dumping gas on the fire.

Guest Aloysius

I think I'm going to make a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center tonight. And hope that these recent incidents aren't the beginning of a trend.

I think I'm going to make a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center tonight. And hope that these recent incidents aren't the beginning of a trend.

Work for them rather than send a few thousand bucks if you really believe in the work..

As for that question, I think domestic right-wing extremism is certainly more violent than left-wing extremism.

What examples of left-wing terrorism do you have, eco-terrorism? That's generally damage to property.

A guy who hates "liberals and gays" and wants to kill all the people in Bernie Goldberg's book, but can't, so he walks into Unitarian Church while the kids are performing "Annie" and starts shooting as many liberals as he can ...is there an equivalent example of something like that on the left? I can't think of one.

And that's not even mentioning Oklahoma City. There's surely no left-wing equivalent to that.

I know we like to pretend that everything is the same on the right and the left and there's no distinctions to be made, but I don't think that's very accurate in this case.

So yes, I think right-wing extremism is more dangerous, especially right now when they're out of power.

I seem to recall the right-wing, and many on this board, going crazy because Bush's DHS call for, and Obama's DHS later released, a report on domestic terrorist/extremist concerns. One part of it dealt with left-wing extremist groups, and one dealt with right-wing extremist groups.

Well, we've now seen our second incident of extremist violence in the last two weeks. The first targeted an abortion doctor, and the killer promised that more attacks are in the works. The second has now targeted Jews. We had two others last summer that targeted and killed liberals.

Should they not issue any more reports?

I am not yet ready to assume anything more than several nut-jobs acting independently. Claiming more attacks are in the works is probably nothing more than bragging. Kind of like a punk gang member threatening families of law enforcement agents.

Do I say that we shouldn't keep our eyes and ears open? Of course not.

Am I ready to label this as organized right-wing terrorism - a couple of politico descriptions there - Of course not.

What do you think about unilateral phone taps on suspected neo-Nazi's, Heck?

So yes, I think right-wing extremism is more dangerous, especially right now when they're out of power.

Absoxxxxinlutely.

Just look at the pictures.

Left-wing extremist.

old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg

Right-wing extremist.

Cochise-County-Militia5.jpg

Absoxxxxinlutely.

Just look at the pictures.

Left-wing extremist.

As a former big fan of "the pot" and "the shrooms", never did I once wake up in tie-dye. That photo will haunt my dreams tonight (look @ back left of photo - hold the sign up, Granny.).

Neo-Nazi groups are monitored, both by law enforcement and by groups like the SPLC. And if law enforcement wants a wiretap and has enough evidence to show a judge, that's how it works.

Universal wiretaps of "suspects", of course not.

Yeah.

That'd be rude.

BTW I figure the anti Semites cross party lines these days.

Oh and didn't one of your black Muslim guys just murder a soldier Heck?

WSS

No, it wouldn't be "rude", it'd be unconstitutional.

And no, one of "my guys" didn't shoot a recruiter. Nor is Roeder one of "your guys". But he is a right-wing extremist, and he committed an act of domestic terrorism.

And Inspecta, the guy they arrested in Nevada who wanted to kill Obama was mentally unbalanced. The guy in Tennessee was mad a liberals and gays because he lost his job. The guy who shot the head of the Arkansas Democratic Party was mad at liberals because he lost his job. The neo-Nazi doesn't seem to be mentally unbalanced either, just a sick f'ck.

They're not all mentally unbalanced.

The neo-Nazi doesn't seem to be mentally unbalanced either, just a sick f'ck.

"Mentally unbalanced" and "sick" are really the same thing. One is just really a politically correct/"clinical" term for the other.

However, I believe there are some people out there that are just evil. They aren't crazy, they suffer no affliction, they are just evil.

No, they're very crazy. About as sick as you can get. Just because you don't ask your refrigerator the time doesn't mean you're not sick.

Besides, EVERYTHING gets a classification. :)

Psychopathy is a psychological construct that describes chronic immoral and antisocial behavior.[3][4] The term is often used interchangeably with sociopathy.[5] In the ICD-10 diagnosis criteria, the terms antisocial/dissocial personality disorder are used.

The term is used as a definition in law, for example, "psychopathic personality disorder" under the Mental Health Act 1983 of the UK as well as to denote a severe condition often related to antisocial or dissocial personality disorder as defined by the Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (PCL-R).[6] The term "psychopathy" is often confused with psychotic disorders. It is estimated that approximately one percent of the general population are psychopaths.[7][8][9]

The psychopath is defined by a psychological gratification in criminal, sexual, or aggressive impulses and the inability to learn from past mistakes.[10][11][12] Individuals with this disorder gain satisfaction through their antisocial behavior and lack remorse for their actions. This definition has been met with criticism from others stating that these characteristics are present in all human life under a specific set of circumstances, even in the absence of any physical difference in biological brain makeup.

Legally or clinically, I don't think this neo-Nazi is going to be able to claim he's insane. He's not insane. He simply has abhorrent views and was willing to act on them. (Twice.)

That's different from the guy from Utah who wanted to kill Obama and said this: "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them and it's a giant step for mankind. ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen. ... the banking system will fail and people will die. ... there will be chaos in the world."

He doesn't sound well.

The incidents in Tennessee and Arkansas also don't sound like people who were crazy. They sound like people who snapped and blamed people they hated (liberals, gays) for their misfortune.

So let me ask you mz the pussy, honest question here. Do you believe in the concept of evil?

Interesting indeed.

My immediate response would be "I'm not sure."

On one hand, philosophers like John Locke believed "people are born without innate ideas, and that knowledge is instead determined only by experience derived by sense perception." So, if we believed this, nobody is born evil but has his or her real life experiences shape and, really, create his or her negative/antisocial/"evil" feelings. Which is in exact opposition to Christian philosophy, which I'm less familiar with, but I think believes things are predetermined. Hopefully, one of our more religious folks could expound on this.

I'm leaning towards Locke's empiricism.....

Archived