Jump to content
Ghoolie

Has there ever been a more pivotal/important season for the Browns?

Recommended Posts

Forget commentary about what the team needs to do, or fix, or any of the analytical schidt. Can you recall or cite a more crucial season than this one?

Should all you guys be correct and the team does well, and I don't know what " well" would mean. 7 - 9 or better  I think paints the team as WOW, and makes the year enjoyable, and the Browns and off season story.

4 - 6 wins leaves the Browns as the most boring, lackluster, uninteresting football team in the history of the NFL.

3 wins or less ( Camp Ghoolie) and you have the official laughing stock of all professional sports. 3 wins or less, and Haslam will get out of town. 3 wins or less, I think moving this schidtpile becomes inevitable. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a personal expert at being a laughing stock...I will grant you that.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder to anyone dumb enough to take this thread seriously:

The idiot who started this thread told us a month ago that he laid $1000 on the Browns to win 8 games this season. 

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

You all feed this troll way too much

It's a day before training camp. Too bored not to feed it. LOL! 🤩

So...................................................my response is.....................Wait 'till next year!😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The actual serious answer to the question of "is this the most pivotal season in the history of the Browns"...the answer is:   Certainly not, by any means.

Not as critical as 1946, their first season in existance.  Not as critical as 1950...their first season in the NFL.   Not as critical as any of the seasons when they were defending their crown.....or any of the seasons in which they lost the title game and were trying to get back to it.  Not as critical as 1963, the first year under Blanton Collier after the firing of Paul Brown.  

Not as critical as the years that  Skorich took over for Collier, or when Forrest Gregg took over for Skorich, or  when Rutigliano took over for Gregg, or when Marty took over for Sam.  Not as critical as when Belichick took over for Carson.  Not as critical as 1995, a year after  the Browns had their only winning season under BB...and were hopefully going to continue with a playoff run until Modell sabotaged his team and the city.   Not as critical as 1999 when the Browns came back after a 3 year hiatus.

And it is no more critical than the like 20 years since then when the Browns have been trying to recover from losing...and the various years that they have changed directions with new HCs, and new GMs.

So...the answer is simply, NO.  Absolutely not.  This year probably does not rate among the Top 20 critical seasons in Browns history......as we stand right now.   If they do perform a miraculous turnaround and really make something of this season, it could catapult far up the scale when you would look at it in hindsight.   But right here, right now?  No.  It is just another season when the Browns are trying to win some games. Being 0-16 last year is really no difference in the scheme of things than if they were  2-14, 3-13. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You all feed this troll way too much

That's so true but in the offseason its so tempting to do it and see what happens. 

Like feeding the wild Canadian geese near your house when you know later they will just s.hit all over your car. :lol:

  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You all feed this troll way too much

Lets put it this way....if you ignore the source of the question,  it is still a semi-legitimate question at its core.   "How pivotal is this season in Browns history".   In my previous post on here I tried to give a fair answer to that particular question...while putting the source of the question out of my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every season is pivotal in my mind.. You are only as good as the year that preceded the last year.. Every year.. At least to me.. You wipe the slate clean and start from ground zero.. That the approach I would take.. Every team and athlete is constantly proving themselves.. It's just how life is..  Not only in Football.. but in careers as well..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You all feed this troll way too much

That would explain his staunch waist line.  

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's pivotal. There's fans like us, who attend, watch through thick and thin. Maybe not so pivotal for we kind of fans.

It's certainly pivotal for the fence sitters. Fans who got turned off by the losing, Haslam, or Hue. This season could reel them back in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yes it's pivotal. There's fans like us, who attend, watch through thick and thin. Maybe not so pivotal for we kind of fans.

It's certainly pivotal for the fence sitters. Fans who got turned off by the losing, Haslam, or Hue. This season could reel them back in.

Well said, but not all Fans either LIVE in Berea (you), or were BORN there (me)!   😁

Mike

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Win win situation. If they win 9 or more games, we see postseason football. If we win 7 or less, Hue is gone & a better coach is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ummmm, let's see. . .  .  There is a new QB and a new coach calling the plays.  Isn't that the same every year?  I would just like to see some progress and some results to build on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, finger Mellon said:

ummmm, let's see. . .  .  There is a new QB and a new coach calling the plays.  Isn't that the same every year?  I would just like to see some progress and some results to build on.

Yea,   as Yogi said,  "Its Deja Vu all over again.

And I guess some reference to Groundhog day is appropriate.  Which is why I say it is not that high on the "pivotal season" list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 10:58 PM, Ghoolie said:

3 wins or less, I think moving this schidtpile becomes inevitable. 

Just to get away from the negative press?  Because it's not the location's fault that they lose all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, Dawgs89 said:

Win win situation. If they win 9 or more games, we see postseason football. If we win 7 or less, Hue is gone & a better coach is in.

What basis do you have for believing 7 wins means Hue is fired?  Seriously, there is no logic to back you up. Hue went 1 - 15 and kept his job. He then went 0 - 16 and kept his job. So your logic is if he goes 7 - 9 he loses his job? Dude, look at this numerically.............

1 - 15  - Keeps Job

0 - 16 Keeps Job

7 - 9  Gets Fired?   

WTF drug are you on?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 - 14 or some such crap, Haslam will sell and the team WILL face being moved. This IS the most pivotal season the Browns ever faced. Their first year in operation and first year in the NFL were dull, unimportant, low stress. Nobody expects much from a 1st-year team. The future of the fake Browns in Cleveland ride on the success of 2018. Just watch.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

2 - 14 or some such crap, Haslam will sell and the team WILL face being moved. This IS the most pivotal season the Browns ever faced. Their first year in operation and first year in the NFL were dull, unimportant, low stress. Nobody expects much from a 1st-year team. The future of the fake Browns in Cleveland ride on the success of 2018. Just watch.

The ignorance is palpable.  The Browns can't leave for many many years due to their lease. And Jimmy can make money hand over fist whether or not the team wins or not. So why the hell would he sell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

why the hell would he sell

Haslam move the team?  That I couldn't see.  But SELL the team.  THAT I wouldn't rule out totally...because of constant bad press following mounting losses  (W/L that is).  I mean, Haslam has really done nothing but brought the team to record badness...and ugliness.  HE needs wins almost as bad as Hue.  -  and he's sold / selling his fuel / price gouging business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 2:01 AM, Ghoolie said:

What basis do you have for believing 7 wins means Hue is fired?  Seriously, there is no logic to back you up. Hue went 1 - 15 and kept his job. He then went 0 - 16 and kept his job. So your logic is if he goes 7 - 9 he loses his job? Dude, look at this numerically.............

1 - 15  - Keeps Job

0 - 16 Keeps Job

7 - 9  Gets Fired?   

WTF drug are you on?

Look at the roster additions. Furthermore, Hue isn't Dorsey's " Guy". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The ignorance is palpable.  The Browns can't leave for many many years due to their lease. And Jimmy can make money hand over fist whether or not the team wins or not. So why the hell would he sell 

Leases are made to be broken. It's definitely possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 9:58 PM, Ghoolie said:

Forget commentary about what the team needs to do, or fix, or any of the analytical schidt. Can you recall or cite a more crucial season than this one?

Should all you guys be correct and the team does well, and I don't know what " well" would mean. 7 - 9 or better  I think paints the team as WOW, and makes the year enjoyable, and the Browns and off season story.

4 - 6 wins leaves the Browns as the most boring, lackluster, uninteresting football team in the history of the NFL.

3 wins or less ( Camp Ghoolie) and you have the official laughing stock of all professional sports. 3 wins or less, and Haslam will get out of town. 3 wins or less, I think moving this schidtpile becomes inevitable. 

Yes, it is.

Lets face it, the Browns have had a transnational off season. The offense where the struggles have originated, has been totally revamped. The only area where there is uncertainty is at WR - besides Landry. Louis is done. Coleman and Gordon production would be icing on the cake. I bet Higgins has a better season with Taylor throwing that ball. The great news on Callaway is encouraging, but lots of guys look awesome in practice. If Dorsey pulls the trigger, signing Dez Bryant is sure going alleviate some of the concern at that position.

Pittsburgh game 1 will be a Win.

New Orleans game 2 will be a loss. Its typical to have a let down after a big win.

2 wins per every 4 games would be great and if you can steal a couple of wins 10 - 6 likely gets you in the post season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

2 - 14 or some such crap, Haslam will sell and the team WILL face being moved. This IS the most pivotal season the Browns ever faced. Their first year in operation and first year in the NFL were dull, unimportant, low stress. Nobody expects much from a 1st-year team. The future of the fake Browns in Cleveland ride on the success of 2018. Just watch.

The NFL stepped in and restarted the Browns. Loaned the city money for a new stadium.

There would be a $hitstorm if anybody tried pulling another Modell/Ravens move. Where would they go? What other city is ready for a team?

Saint Louis doesnt give a crap about football. Its a baseball town. so no point moving there since 2 modern day NFL teams have already closed up shop. San Diego would not build the Chargers a new stadium and they go way back together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Orion said:

But SELL the team.  THAT I wouldn't rule out totally...because of constant bad press following mounting losses  (W/L that is).  I mean, Haslam has really done nothing but brought the team to record badness...and ugliness.  HE needs wins almost as bad as Hue.  

Haslam needs to back away & let Dorsey do his thing with not playing the middle man (himself,Jimmy Hasbeen) Go back 4 years and add up the small pocket change his GM's have burned on Jimmy's dollar. My far that's not been on Jimmy but on his dollars. What ever happened to that AJ McKaren Jimmy hug? Maybe Dorsey is leading Jimmy to some Day light? It's Jimmy's job to get the GM's. He's got a damn good one imo. Head Coaching hires, should be made by Dorsey. Dorsey looks to be Haslams best hire to this point to burn more money but, maybe to good use. My next coaching staff is coming into focus..A) HC-Haley B)OC-Lincoln Riley C)DC-Clyde Simmons..Jimmy needs to fully turn the keys to Dorsey & Lets get to winning..again..I can't see Haslam selling out now. But he needs to quit selling out on his own Cleveland Browns   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dawgs89 said:

Leases are made to be broken. It's definitely possible.

You didn't pay one goddamn bit of attention to the situation involving Modell then.   He tried to "break a lease"....he couldn't do it.  And rest assured that the lease with Haslam is far more ironclad than the one Modell had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

The NFL stepped in and restarted the Browns. Loaned the city money for a new stadium.

There would be a $hitstorm if anybody tried pulling another Modell/Ravens move. Where would they go? What other city is ready for a team?

Saint Louis doesnt give a crap about football. Its a baseball town. so no point moving there since 2 modern day NFL teams have already closed up shop. San Diego would not build the Chargers a new stadium and they go way back together. 

The Cleveland Browns make good money for its owner.   Cleveland makes good money for the NFL.   The Cleveland Market is larger than any market that the Browns could move to.....the only ones that may be close are Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake and San Diego.  NONE of which have or are even contemplating building an NFL caliber stadium. And even IF one of those cities were out trolling for a team......they would have to wait at least 10 years to even think about the Browns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

The Cleveland Browns make good money for its owner.   Cleveland makes good money for the NFL.   The Cleveland Market is larger than any market that the Browns could move to.....the only ones that may be close are Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake and San Diego.  NONE of which have or are even contemplating building an NFL caliber stadium. And even IF one of those cities were out trolling for a team......they would have to wait at least 10 years to even think about the Browns.

 

True. And in 10+ years the NFL and other sports and entertainment venues might look different than they do today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the actual facts concerning the potential "move" of any cities:    First.....no team will be able to move until their lease expires.  Cities/stadium owners etc. all learned from the Browns situation to make airtight, specific performance based leases.   So, NO team will be moving until their lease would expire, so here is the lease expiration date for each team:

Buffalo     lease expires 2023. But I am of the understanding that there is a new stadium proposal

Miami  2026

NY Jets  2032

New England 2026

Baltimore 2027

Cincinnati  2026

Cleveland 2029

Pittsburgh 2031

Houston 2032

Indy  2034

Tennessee 2027

Jacksonville 2030

Denver 2031

KC  2031

LA Chargers 2049...in the new stadium being built

Oakland.....lease up now, moving to Vegas...not sure about Vegas lease terms...will have to research

Dallas...2039  (though does not Jerry own the stadium?)

NY Giants  2032

Washington....there is no lease...and the Redskins pay no rent.  The stadium is on National Park service land..and it is rent free...as long as used for recreation or entertainment

Arizona 2036

LA Rams    there will be no lease on their new stadium, as the owner of the stadium is also the owner of the team.

San Franciso  2054

Seattle 2031

Atlanta 2047

Carolina....there is no lease at this point

New Orleans...2025

Tampa Bay  2028

Chicago 2033

Detroit 2037

Minnesota  2046

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 10:36 AM, mjp28 said:

That's so true but in the offseason its so tempting to do it and see what happens. 

Like feeding the wild Canadian geese near your house when you know later they will just s.hit all over your car. :lol:

Dom gummit - I had coffee in my mouth when I got to that last line.  Key word in that sentence is had.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×