THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Tweets He Will Not Be At Training Camp This Week

Canton Dawg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, ignore my last post. Apparently Browns are going to waive the "report by Tuesday" stipulation and want Josh to focus on the treatment. If this is true, and if Josh is truly just trying to reinforce his sobriety, this approach and level of support is unheard of, and should be celebrated. Right now, fans are just too pessimistic to really believe ANYTHING we read about Josh, and for good reason. We've simply been burnt SO many times, and the last time really hurt us. We had Josh back, he just caught that touchdown bomb at the Tampa Bay preseason game, and right before the season started...he was gone again. 

So when we're told anything by the media or especially Josh himself, we tend not to believe it. Or at the very least, think we're not getting the full story. I will say that this entire saga does feel differently than years past. The biggest thing regarding Josh that nobody really wants to talk about is even if he comes back, there's a bigger chance Josh suffers a setback as opposed to remaining in recovery. Addicts don't typically do well in "ultimatum scenarios" (although some can), and make no mistake, he's in one now. "Stay clean or you're gone forever". Still, it's obvious he's a different person now, and he's someone who admits the problem and works very hard on it. That's all we can ask of any human, and I so desperately want to see him succeed. For his family, for his fans, the team, and most of all....for himself. 

57 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And how do you propose that Gordon "pay" him?

Metaphorically? 

noun
  1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable inorder to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”Compare mixed metaphor, simile(def 1).
  2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Just now, mjp28 said:

Metaphorically? 

noun

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable inorder to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”Compare mixed metaphor, simile(def 1).
  2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

It does not answer the question.   What kind of "Metaphorical" payment must Josh Gordon make to Tom Heckert? 

You could say that "well, now Josh has to prove to the world and to himself that Heckert putting his faith in him was not unwarranted by Josh coming back and keeping clean and having a great productive season." 

See there...I did your job for you.

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It does not answer the question.   What kind of "Metaphorical" payment must Josh Gordon make to Tom Heckert? 

You could say that "well, now Josh has to prove to the world and to himself that Heckert putting his faith in him was not unwarranted by Josh coming back and keeping clean and having a great productive season." 

See there...I did your job for you.

OK allegorically?

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Crocodilically

:lol:

Actually they only way you can really make anything up to a deceased person is in their ulogy......or maybe offer to pay for the funeral.

But seriously may he RIP.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There.  You figured it out all by yourself.......almost.

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

So any word when he is coming back?  Been over a week.

He is coming back after he bails Calloway out of jail....

I almost feel like the Gordon business is a work, and he might have been told to stay away from hard knocks at least for a little while. 

Probably that's ridiculous, but it feels a little fishy that if he decided he couldn't attend training camp that they're not legit furious with him. 

3 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I almost feel like the Gordon business is a work, and he might have been told to stay away from hard knocks at least for a little while. 

Probably that's ridiculous, but it feels a little fishy that if he decided he couldn't attend training camp that they're not legit furious with him. 

This is his latest video out today. Note how in it he says “when I HAVE to come back”.    

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

This is his latest video out today. Note how in it he says “when I HAVE to come back”.    

With the "6 quarters" thing I couldn't help but remember that in the five games he was in last season, there was a huge difference in his contribution if you compared his second half performance.

Probably he noticed, wanted to be in the best shape possible and focus. It's not only about Hard Knocks being in town. I'm sure the "brotherhood" kind of environment in the team can lead him to do drugs (marijuana and alcohol are very "social" drugs), and he prefers not to take any chances for as long as possible.

God I love this kid, I have always rooted for him...   He is soft spoken and likely painfully shy. I can relate as I was horribly shy as a young man. I can completely understand why he did what he did as many with his anxiety and shyness did the same.. 

I was pissed at him years ago for throwing away so much because I didn't understand where it was coming from.. My stereotypical mind went to "He's just another over privileged pooper who took the money and couldn't care less about the team".... Now I see him for what he is.. A shy kid having to deal with horrible anxiety doing something that is the opposite of what his personality wants and that is to stay out of the spotlight and to not be the center of attention. 

I think he is going to F U C K I N .G kill it this season..

Josh if by chance you are reading threads like this one... You are going to be one of the Great Ones!   Go Browns....

On a side note, are these videos recent does anyone know? Was this what he was doing on the offseason? Or is this what he is doing now that his team is in training camp? If it is current I have even more hope for him this season. He looks sharp and in shape and he is focused...

I understand the need for a QB and Receiver to build trust and to get to know each other. But I believe that Josh is a once in a generation talent that can literally walk on to the field after being out of the league for literal years and have the ball thrown at him and he looks like he never left....

Tyrod is going to have so much fun with the WR corp we have assembled.

BobPound!

Well, that video is uplifting. It's easy to be pessimistic, given his history of failure....but I believe he really has turned his life around,

and wants to be the player he could have been, for an entire season, every game, and be even better than that.

OK, I'm buyin it. "Before I have to come back"...I get it now. I can wait til he comes back, and is an All-pro every play, every game of the regular season and post-season, and off the field. He knows it's his last chance - and wants every bit of work to prepare him to really make up for the other lost months/years.

You, GO, Josh.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, that video is uplifting. It's easy to be pessimistic, given his history of failure....but I believe he really has turned his life around,

and wants to be the player he could have been, for an entire season, every game, and be even better than that.

OK, I'm buyin it. "Before I have to come back"...I get it now. I can wait til he comes back, and is an All-pro every play, every game of the regular season and post-season, and off the field. He knows it's his last chance - and wants every bit of work to prepare him to really make up for the other lost months/years.

You, GO, Josh.

Cal- I wonder about the "Before I have to come back" comment. Is this a wink-wink between Gordon, the team, and the NFL? Could be. Just might be a super secret report date for Josh coming back, that no one is letting on they know anything about. He's sure working out hard enough, but even at an all-pro level, it will take more than a day or two to get in sync with Taylor and Mayfield.  

15 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I've never been a big fan of Hue as a HC, but I've never doubted that he's a genuine dude. Watching Hard Knocks it came across pretty clearly he cares about Josh Gordon the man and that's where it's all coming from. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Cal- I wonder about the "Before I have to come back" comment. Is this a wink-wink between Gordon, the team, and the NFL? Could be. Just might be a super secret report date for Josh coming back, that no one is letting on they know anything about. He's sure working out hard enough, but even at an all-pro level, it will take more than a day or two to get in sync with Taylor and Mayfield.  

Yes, it could be. I don't blame him for not wanting to be the focus of the Hard Knocks stuff to any degree. We'll see how it plays out. But it was really heartening to watch the trainers working with him - they seem to really understand that Gordon is very serious.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. But him talking - that's as eloquent as I've ever heard him. Hope he's in camp soon.

Wonder when Hard KNocks leaves.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Yes, it could be. I don't blame him for not wanting to be the focus of the Hard Knocks stuff to any degree. We'll see how it plays out. But it was really heartening to watch the trainers working with him - they seem to really understand that Gordon is very serious.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. But him talking - that's as eloquent as I've ever heard him. Hope he's in camp soon.

Wonder when Hard KNocks leaves.

I think they leave after filming before the last preseason game. Once practice for the real games starts they are out of the way.

Archived