THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Tweets He Will Not Be At Training Camp This Week

Canton Dawg

BROWNS

Cleveland Browns GM John Dorsey fully supports Josh Gordon missing camp to get care

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon tweeted that he will not be at training camp this week as a part of "my overall health and treatment plan."

Author: Ben Axelrod
Published: 10:09 AM EDT July 23, 2018
Updated: 10:56 AM EDT July 23, 2018

As training camp gets set to begin, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has tweeted that he will not be present.

The former All-Pro said that his absence is a part of his "overall health and treatment plan" and that both he and the Browns believe that this time away from football will "help me maintain the progress I’ve made for not only today but for many years to come."consumed alcohol before games earlier in his career and several other drugs, including marijuana, Xanax and codeine.

In 40 games in Cleveland over the course of his career, Gordon has tallied 179 receptions for 3,089 yards and 15 touchdowns. Despite appearing in just 14 games in 2013, he led the NFL in receiving with 1,646 yards.

Browns training camp is set to kickoff in Berea on Thursday.

Read more here;

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/cleveland-browns-gm-john-dorsey-fully-supports-josh-gordon-missing-camp-to-get-care/95-576626109

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard the news that Gordon needs to come to Camp Late so here's an article about it:

Statement from Cleveland Browns General Manager John Dorsey on Josh Gordon:

We will continue to support Josh as he receives the care needed to maintain his progress. We are going to respect his privacy while he is away from the team. Josh will be placed on the non-football illness reserve list until he is ready to return.  

*Statement in reference to Gordon’s tweets this morning, see below*

A Message from Josh Gordon:

To my Cleveland Browns and NFL Family,

I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically but mentally as well. You will notice that I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp. Rest assured, this, too, is a part of my overall health and treatment plan. I appreciate the awesome support I have received from teammates, friends, fans, and the Browns organization. Just like you, I am excited to start the season and I have every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon to help bring winning football to our fans.

With the help of the NFL, NFLPA, and the Browns’ organization, I have been able to utilize the resources available to me that will ensure my well-being on and off the field. By continuing to follow the plan set up by our medical director and his team and taking this time before this season starts, we believe it will help me maintain the progress I’ve made for not only today but for many years to come.

Thank you all for your patience, love, and support! Go Browns!

Sincerely,

Josh Gordon

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/statement-from-browns-gm-john-dorsey-on-josh-gordon

Thanks CD!  It looked like we posted it at the same time.  I'll delete my thread and add in a link from another source about it here. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/statement-from-browns-gm-john-dorsey-on-josh-gordon

Statement from Cleveland Browns General Manager John Dorsey on Josh Gordon:

We will continue to support Josh as he receives the care needed to maintain his progress. We are going to respect his privacy while he is away from the team. Josh will be placed on the non-football illness reserve list until he is ready to return.  

*Statement in reference to Gordon’s tweets this morning, see below*

A Message from Josh Gordon:

To my Cleveland Browns and NFL Family,

I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically but mentally as well. You will notice that I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp. Rest assured, this, too, is a part of my overall health and treatment plan. I appreciate the awesome support I have received from teammates, friends, fans, and the Browns organization. Just like you, I am excited to start the season and I have every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon to help bring winning football to our fans.

With the help of the NFL, NFLPA, and the Browns’ organization, I have been able to utilize the resources available to me that will ensure my well-being on and off the field. By continuing to follow the plan set up by our medical director and his team and taking this time before this season starts, we believe it will help me maintain the progress I’ve made for not only today but for many years to come.

Thank you all for your patience, love, and support! Go Browns!

Sincerely,

Josh Gordon

1 minute ago, Canton Dawg said:

Looks like Syd posted around the same time as well.

Maybe one of the Mods can merge?

😄 Yeah, good idea.  I tried to delete my thread but it wouldn't let me - unless of course it would and I'm just not smart enough to figure it out...

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

😄 Yeah, good idea.  I tried to delete my thread but it wouldn't let me - unless of course it would and I'm just not smart enough to figure it out...

top  of the page I think it said moderation action that will take care of it

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1021426375536857090

So based off this what I assume is going on is he came up with a specific plan when he was reinstated where if he saw himself or if the teams medical team saw him struggling with work, home life, mental health, what have you, he would take a step back and and focus on himself to help ensure he didn't relapse. This is the smart thing to do. I hope he comes back as soon as possible but I would rather see him miss most or all of camp and preseason than see him do something stupid and find himself out of the NFL for good. 

Anyone now 100% sure Josh is going to be their #1 WR for all 16 games?

.......let's hope so.

WAIT  ................. No     No.. it can't be............................ Ghoolie just wrote the Browns iwll struggle because THEY DO NOT HAVE playmakers. Oh, I know, you blowjobs create fantasy scenarios on PAPER where you actually believe the Browns are FINALLY packed with top quality playmakers, ( every year you a holes do this). Josh Gordon is NOT a top tier NFL reciever. He has skills, yes,  but he is not tough, he is not driven and he is not disciplined.

SO NOW?  TOugh guy Dorsey is already reaching down to grab his ankles because Gordon...............who hasn't had a fukcking thing to do for 3 years............... NEEDS TIME to get his rehab progam and goals in order? LMAO @ Browns fans. You fukcktards believe whatever is fed to you, don't you?

The Browns do not have a WR, RB, QB or TE that could start for any of last year's playoff teams, and likely not for 2/3s of the entire league.

TIC TIC TIC.............. can you hear it? Can you feel it starting to crumble? A team without a foundation is destined to keep losing.

THe Steelers are going to butt phukc the Browns on opening day. 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

WAIT  ................. No     No.. it can't be............................ Ghoolie just wrote the Browns iwll struggle because THEY DO NOT HAVE playmakers. Oh, I know, you blowjobs create fantasy scenarios on PAPER where you actually believe the Browns are FINALLY packed with top quality playmakers, ( every year you a holes do this). Josh Gordon is NOT a top tier NFL reciever. He has skills, yes,  but he is not tough, he is not driven and he is not disciplined.

SO NOW?  TOugh guy Dorsey is already reaching down to grab his ankles because Gordon...............who hasn't had a fukcking thing to do for 3 years............... NEEDS TIME to get his rehab progam and goals in order? LMAO @ Browns fans. You fukcktards believe whatever is fed to you, don't you?

The Browns do not have a WR, RB, QB or TE that could start for any of last year's playoff teams, and likely not for 2/3s of the entire league.

TIC TIC TIC.............. can you hear it? Can you feel it starting to crumble? A team without a foundation is destined to keep losing.

Just shove it, Jarvis Landry would be starting for your beloved Steelers...  

EDIT: Back to your flamebaiting ways again.  

55 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Calling out an organization for having the health of a player as its priority is pathetic, even for you.

3 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Calling out an organization for having the health of a player as its priority is pathetic, even for you.

Gordon is a recovering alcoholic- and if this "treatment" helps keep him sober, it's a good thing.  

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

The Browns do not have a WR, RB, QB or TE that could start for any of last year's playoff teams.........

Uh........dip wad.........Tyrod Taylor, the Browns starting QB, was the Buffalo Bills starting QB last season.....the Bills WERE IN the playoffs last year! 200px-Tyrod_Taylor_against_the_Texans.jp

1 hour ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

Uh........dip wad.........Tyrod Taylor, the Browns starting QB, was the Buffalo Bills starting QB last season.....the Bills WERE IN the playoffs last year! 200px-Tyrod_Taylor_against_the_Texans.jp

And he had less talent than this years Browns team.  It's been said that Ghoolie just like to get our goats.  Starting to believe that. 

1 hour ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

DOH!!!   Either Ghoolie is just playing dumb blond (or is it dumb bald)....or he really, really pays NO attention whatsoever to what goes on in football....or, he is simply just epically obtuse.

2 hours ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

Let's add in Carlos Hyde was the starting running back for the 49ers last year. + I don't much doubt a bunch of teams would like to have Njoku.

Bad Ghoolie is trolling again. 

Assuming that he did not fail a drug test or relapse...

1) Good for Josh Gordon and his team. Seek help when you think there is a chance of relapsing or any confusing thoughts. This shows MAJOR progress that he is maturing and serious about his disease

2) Good for the Browns for supporting this. I think the Browns have a much stronger support group as a team than ever before. I feel as though this was definitely in the works because Gordon felt as though he could leave and not be judged by his teammates. It's the beginning of training camp. Outside of timing routes, for a guy like Gordon, this is the least useful part of camp. 

3.) Mental health (Kevin Love) and Addiction (too many to name) are major problems in pro sports, good job by the Browns and Josh Gordon's team for identifying and reacting. The NFL should be applauding the Browns and Gordon (assuming he is clean) for this approach. 

4) This is more 3b, but I am guessing this was all part of the plan from the very beginning. There is a ton of stress and pressure on Gordon going into this year. Kudos to his team for planning this ahead of time and setting him up for success. The Browns had a statement very quickly in response to this. I think they knew of the plan and supported it from the very beginning. 

5) The browns have enough talent at the WR position and other receiving spots for the worst case scenario. Gordon makes this unit potentially elite, but at the same time, unlike in years past, they have a legit go to guy in Landry, Johnson is amazing out of the backfield, Ndjoku is a legit receiving threat at the TE position, and Callaway and Coleman could be stars in their own right if they can stay on the field. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The bottom line here is that Josh Gordon CANNOT be counted on.

Possibly- but looks like the Browns were well aware of the situation....   

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-cleveland-browns-wr-josh-gordon-hasnt-failed-a-drug-test-isnt-suspended/95-576683421

Yes, I'm leaning in the direction that he won't be here for day 1.  But if he is, good for us.  It's too bad the team really was counting on him being here and it's a blow that chances are, he won't.  Let's keep our fingers crossed for opening day.  Just too bad with all his talent, he can't seem to display it.  I really think if he did, he could be in the top 2 or 3 WRs in the league.  ☹️

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Assuming that he did not fail a drug test or relapse...

1) Good for Josh Gordon and his team. Seek help when you think there is a chance of relapsing or any confusing thoughts. This shows MAJOR progress that he is maturing and serious about his disease

2) Good for the Browns for supporting this. I think the Browns have a much stronger support group as a team than ever before. I feel as though this was definitely in the works because Gordon felt as though he could leave and not be judged by his teammates. It's the beginning of training camp. Outside of timing routes, for a guy like Gordon, this is the least useful part of camp. 

3.) Mental health (Kevin Love) and Addiction (too many to name) are major problems in pro sports, good job by the Browns and Josh Gordon's team for identifying and reacting. The NFL should be applauding the Browns and Gordon (assuming he is clean) for this approach. 

4) This is more 3b, but I am guessing this was all part of the plan from the very beginning. There is a ton of stress and pressure on Gordon going into this year. Kudos to his team for planning this ahead of time and setting him up for success. The Browns had a statement very quickly in response to this. I think they knew of the plan and supported it from the very beginning. 

5) The browns have enough talent at the WR position and other receiving spots for the worst case scenario. Gordon makes this unit potentially elite, but at the same time, unlike in years past, they have a legit go to guy in Landry, Johnson is amazing out of the backfield, Ndjoku is a legit receiving threat at the TE position, and Callaway and Coleman could be stars in their own right if they can stay on the field. 

This is an excellent post. To those who say Josh cant be counted on I say this is more of an indication of the opposite. He is recognizing the issue and proactively attacking it prior to the season start. It appears that this was very much done with the team and its medical staff involved. I am still going to unwrap my Gordon jersey that arrived today. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Great for him, but all I care about is his performance on the field.  This doesn't show me anything.  

Actually, it kind of does.  His availability is always in doubt.

Now, his comeback, with Hard Knocks (media on steroids) and all ... could be causing anxiety ... who knows?   Sympathy deserved.  But from a team fan's perspective, he's not to be counted on.

This may be TMI but for the hell of it I thought I would share anyway. I abused drugs and alcohol from the age of about 18 to 28. There was literally nothing I didn't try and I used daily. That and the impact it had on my life made me the very definition of an addict / alcoholic. A couple years of crack at the end helped get me to rehab sooner than many. I've been clean and sober now 28 years. 

So now to the reason I shared that today. There were many things I had never done without being under the influence of something. Now the TMI, As an example I literally had never had sex without being blasted (yea started late at 18 lol). I remember the first time it was going to happen with a new girlfriend several months into being sober , I was fricking anxiety ridden to the point of potentially cancelling her visit to the house that night.  Trust me too, I LOVE SEX. I simply wasn't sure how to act in that situation being sober. I sought the support of a meeting and my sponsor and learned it was pretty damn normal for someone like me to feel like that. 

Gordon loves football but he has really never played it sober. He hasn't faced training camp pressure, fans, teammates and high expectations for performance clean and sober literally ever in his adult life. As the stark reality of training camp and the impending season  set in he probably got more and more nervous about his ability to perform and more importantly his ability to cope. The fear of failure is likely gnawing at him. So now , in conjunction with the team he is addressing the concern proactively. I say this shows growth in his recovery and is a good sign!

In conclusion I predict he gets the additional support and lights it up this season just like i lit up that girl after my additional counseling LOL. 

Archived