THE BROWNS BOARD

Role of the head coach - specifically this one

onkyoreceiver

What exactly is the nuts and bolts job of a head coach in the NFL - but particularly Hue Jackson in the Cleveland in 2018?  In Jackson's case, he has two of the very best co-ordinators in NFL.  Do Gregg Williams and Todd Haley have primary responsibility for game-planning week in and week out for opponents, as far thing like what defenses to call, run/pass ratio, adjusting to the realities of the scoreboard as the game goes on?  To what extent does a head coach - or Jackson in this case - play the lead or any role in this?  To whatever extent Jackson may play a role in talent acquisition, that is mostly a settled matter at this point, barring injuries or spot pickups during training camp or in-season.  Is it his job to deliver fiery, passionate speeches  in the locker room and during training camp, a la Vince Lombardi, or in this era, given the monies involved, are players expected to more or less self-motivate?  Is "head coach motivational speech-making" for lack of a better term, a product of a by-gone NFL era?  I guess I am trying to figure in my mind what is the criteria by which we should be judging whether Hue is measuring up or not - other than the obvious wins and losses.  I suppose calling timeouts and being on top of game day situational Sheet falls squarely in his domain, as I would imagine does decisions such as who starts and who does not, playing time, etc.  It kind of seems to me that John Dorsey has taken the reins of this team and is stamping it with his brand - for which I thank God! - but it leaves me wondering what exactly, specifically Hue's role is, given what others brought into the organization recently are bringing to the table.  Not saying this to dis Hue, just genuinely curious about NFL head coach responsibilities both generally and specific to our team in 2018.

5 hours ago, onkyoreceiver said:

whether Hue is measuring up or not - other than the obvious wins and losses. 

Maybe Captain Obvious Dorsey can help Hue decide? 

Nice guy coaches can still win with QB's..Hue's to far over himself, to get it..so he hired two coaching pricks to do his job..

5 hours ago, onkyoreceiver said:

I suppose calling timeouts and being on top of game day situational Sheet falls squarely in his domain

Unfortunately.

• 1st and 10 at CIN 45    (2:11 - 2nd) K.Hogan pass incomplete short right. {thrown away}

• 2nd and 10 at CIN 45      (2:03 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Hogan pass incomplete short middle to G.Barnidge (V.Rey) [S.Williams]. {tipped at the line of scrimmage

• (2:00 - 2nd) Two-Minute Warning

• 3rd and 10 at CIN 45     (2:00 - 2nd) K.Hogan scrambles left guard to CIN 38 for 7 yards (K.Dansby).

• 4th and 3 at CIN 38       (2:00 - 2nd) (Run formation) PENALTY on CLV-K.Hogan, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at CIN 38 - No Play.   Right here, good ol' Hue can't figure out if he's gonna go for it, kick a FG, or what...  (which we're o-6 so like, why not go for it?)  So he ultimately causes the delay of game penalty.  (didn't call TO, was gonna punt like a wussy and 'seemingly' head to halftime)  

• 4th and 8 at CIN 43       (1:10 - 2nd) B.Colquitt punts 28 yards to CIN 15, Center-C.Hughlett, fair catch by A.Erickson.

• 1st and 10 at CIN 15          (1:03 - 2nd) (Shotgun) G.Bernard right guard to CIN 20 for 5 yards (C.Kirksey).

• (0:58 - 2nd) Timeout #2 by CLV at 00:58.       Here, the Bengals had run it up the gutt and were getting up slowly and heading to the huddle...obviously content to run out the clock and head to halftime.  But all of a sudden the ref was waiving Time Out.  I'm like, WHAT?   Who called TO?   --  WE DID?! (remember above, we just took a delay of game penalty and DIDN'T call TO before punting)  -  So they marched down the field and scored a TD on a long pass.     

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately I agree with you. He is the worst gameday decision maker I have ever witnessed on the NFL level. And only Fran the Man Francione was worse when you consider college level coaching. That stupid MF had both OU and NU on the ropes with his 260 lb. RB running through them late 4th Q in back to back games only to take the guy out and throw when he had taken them inside the 5 yd line with 2-3 downs to continue running. Didn't even leave him in for PA. Fired for good reason (yeah I'm still pissed about that jackoff).

Archived