THE BROWNS BOARD

Brilliant Auto designers

The Gipper

I am not overall really a "car" guy.....but I had been watching some of the shows that were recently on the History Channel about the history of the Auto Industry.

And what I came away with are a couple of outstanding points:

1.  Lee Iacocca  is perhaps the most brilliant guy in the history of the auto industry.   He personally basically saved the Ford Motor Company from their Edsel disaster becuse it was he that came up with the design and marketing strategy for the Ford Mustang.    It was also he, while with Chrysler, who developed the concept of both the mini-van...AND the SUV.

2. John DeLorean  was also a brilliant auto designer.....though he was a pure rogue.   He basically invented the concept of the Muscle Car when he converted a Pontiac Tempest Sedan into the Pontiac GTO.  He took essentially a concept that was used only in Europe on the racing circuit and brought that muscle to the streets of America.   And of course other car makers followed suit with designs of their muscle cars....like the Dodge Charger, Plymouth Roadrunner, and turning some Mustangs and Chevy Novas into muscle cars.    And, of course, after he left GM...he started his own company with the design of his iconic DeLorean.  Now....that car basically failed as a mass produced vehicle...because of problems with the engine, electronics...etc. etc.    nevertheless, it is still about the most Iconic design of a car we have had.   Just ask Robert Zemekis, the producer/director of Back to the Future, and Steven Spielberg who directed Ready Player One.

3. There may be some new brilliant auto designers...and other guys that I have not mentioned, but these 2 stand out from the shows that I watched.

Lee Iacocca, brilliant guy, saved Chrysler they were going the way of the Rambler and American Motors with only GM and Ford left! 

Oh also saved the Statue of Liberty.

I found his paperback autobiography in a junk sale for 50 cents (I think) with the front cover ripped off and bought and read it.....interesting guy alright!

DeLorean kind of like a Tucker or maybe today's Elon Musk.....who still might crash and burn, passenger space travel,  new China plant but not sure how many billion(s) it will cost? Whoa....brilliant!?

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Lee Iacocca, brilliant guy, saved Chrysler they were going the way of the Rambler and American Motors with only GM and Ford left! 

Oh also saved the Statue of Liberty.

I found his paperback autobiography in a junk sale for 50 cents (I think) with the front cover ripped off and bought and read it.....interesting guy alright!

DeLorean kind of like a Tucker or maybe today's Elon Musk.....who still might crash and burn, passenger space travel,  new China plant but not sure how many billion(s) it will cost? Whoa....brilliant!?

By all historical accounts, Tucker actually made a better car than the Big 3..or 4 or whatever at the time.  Per the movie it seemed that they knew he built a better product than they did...and did everything they could to destroy him.  As I understand it, of the  51 Tuckers that were built,  as many as like 49 of them are still out there in operating condition.  (of course they are well taken care of).   And, apparently, one of  recently sold for like 2.6 million...in 2012

https://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/21/barrett-jackson-2012-1948-tucker-torpedo-bid-up-to-over-2-6-mi/

Archived