THE BROWNS BOARD

PFF-Pass Rush/DL projections

gumby73

Explained very well here  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/7/17/17578914/browns-pass-rush-gets-no-love-from-pro-football-focus  Click "on coming in No.28" to see full teams PFF ranking. check out comment section at bottom with oppontents QB release times.. Large key to success is new CB/S have to cover with Gregg Williams leading this defense. We'll see about that 28th ranking?  

My question is:  how can they do a statistical analysis when there have been NO games played?  I mean, they can rate statistically the Browns backfield performance from last year.....and that #28 ranking would likely be spot on. In fact, the Browns could have been worse than that.   But...for 2018, I think the Browns will have like 3 of the 4 starters being new to the team....and actually, if you include Peppers move from FS to SS...then all 4 starting positions will be new faces.   So how in bloody hell can that be measured.

And, if you are talking DL....well, here again, they can only do last year, and with Ogbah out half the season, and with Garrett out a lot, (plus being a rookie) they can rate last year.   But then this will be a new year...with many changes.   First...hopefully, Ogbah and Garrett will remain healthy (but who can predict that)....plus they changed the interior line. No more Danny Stand Your Ground, never move forward Shelton.    Second year players  Ogunjobi and Brantley may be more aggressive with their interior push.

So...OK...if PFF is rating last year, no quarrels really with a #28 defensive ranking.  But that was then...and this is now.

mostly, these ratings lean on past performance - they won't stick their necks out til they see the trend of dramatic

improvement on the field. After the Browns start being a top defense, watch their "ratings" skyrocket.

whatever.

14 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

mostly, these ratings lean on past performance - they won't stick their necks out til they see the trend of dramatic

improvement on the field. After the Browns start being a top defense, watch their "ratings" skyrocket.

whatever.

Right.  I mean, Ford made both the Edsel and the Mustang.....and this is like car critics in 1964 basing their ratings of the future of the Mustang on the past performance of the Edsel.

And we know how foolish of an exercise that would have been. 

47 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My question is:  how can they do a statistical analysis when there have been NO games played?  I mean, they can rate statistically the Browns backfield performance from last year.....and that #28 ranking would likely be spot on. In fact, the Browns could have been worse than that.   But...for 2018, I think the Browns will have like 3 of the 4 starters being new to the team....and actually, if you include Peppers move from FS to SS...then all 4 starting positions will be new faces.   So how in bloody hell can that be measured.

And, if you are talking DL....well, here again, they can only do last year, and with Ogbah out half the season, and with Garrett out a lot, (plus being a rookie) they can rate last year.   But then this will be a new year...with many changes.   First...hopefully, Ogbah and Garrett will remain healthy (but who can predict that)....plus they changed the interior line. No more Danny Stand Your Ground, never move forward Shelton.    Second year players  Ogunjobi and Brantley may be more aggressive with their interior push.

So...OK...if PFF is rating last year, no quarrels really with a #28 defensive ranking.  But that was then...and this is now.

It's the silly season. Everyone is talking about last year, and everyone was wrong about last year and everyone will be wrong about this year.

Unless you are an Insider, you don't know about Ogbah's progress and how the new secondary is jelling ... we could rank anywhere from 1 to 32.

Ogbah is the key for me. He was Big12 Player of the year and an All-American at OK st. He was picked #32 overall, which is essentially a first rounder. Led the team in sacks as a rookie in 16 and really progessed last year before the injury, seems he was pressuring and batting down balls all the time ... 6 passes defensed ... those are knockdowns for a DE ... He was actually third on the team in passes defended ... in less than 10 games!

I think Ogbah and Garret were only on the field together for three or four games.

We have the ability to come out of nowhere on the pass rush stats, if our new corners can give us one more second in coverage these guys will feast on quarterbacks. Don't forget our blitzing linebackers (four playmakers) and young, hungry, ahead of the curve DTs ... We could be the next Jacksonville as soon as Denzel Ward is ready to be the next Jalen Ramsey. No pressure, Denzel

Zombo

Zombo, I disagree with your statement that we have "4" playmakers at LB. ESPN agrees with me.. at least in that one of them has a contract not proportional to his production.

I appear not to be able to embed a link in the above while at work, here's the link

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24107215/nfl-20-most-outsized-contracts-adjusting-position-2018

with the Eagles, Kendrichs was rated the #9 SAM lb.

Schobert is really coming on.- he had the best total run-stopping percentage

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-browns-schobert-benefiting-from-move-to-off-ball-lb

Kirksey and Collins are. I'd love to see more from Colliins, who kept asking last year to play safety

for the Browns.....

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-position-analysis-lbs-christian-kirksey-jamie-collins-emerge-as--18517488

James Burgess, not a big guy, but a big, smart playmaker

Avery -

of course we have at least 4 playmakers at LB.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/07/c8c5c124828471/cleveland-browns-training-camp.html

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Zombo, I disagree with your statement that we have "4" playmakers at LB. ESPN agrees with me.. at least in that one of them has a contract not proportional to his production.

I appear not to be able to embed a link in the above while at work, here's the link

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24107215/nfl-20-most-outsized-contracts-adjusting-position-2018

You have Collins, Schobert, Kirksey as starters in the 4-3....plus backups in Orchard, Mychael Kendricks, Jermaine Grace, Burgess,  Avery Gennard.  Who among this group do you consider to be playmakers and those who are not?  (and I don't give a crap about their contracts....only about their ability to play...whether they make farthings or millions)

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The fact that he is overplayed doesn't mean he's not a playmaker when healthy.

Z

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You have Collins, Schobert, Kirksey as starters in the 4-3....plus backups in Orchard, Mychael Kendricks, Jermaine Grace, Burgess,  Avery Gennard.  Who among this group do you consider to be playmakers and those who are not?  (and I don't give a crap about their contracts....only about their ability to play...whether they make farthings or millions)

Collins, Schobert, Kirksey and Kendricks.

Zombo

Made a change to topic to Defensive Line (DL) PFF projections. Due to individual players graded are from DL front positions.Jamie Collins was added, due to rovering to DE in some schemes. The individual player grades are the player's final ending overall grade from last season 2017..Regardless, if we package all are scores together we should be no less than #19 with 49'ers. What I don't get in PFF's DL projections? Dallas 8th? Bengals 10th? I posted last week PFF's OL projections where they ranked us #14. Mostly due to S.Colemans poor final score from last season. But as a overall group we could be as high as #6-Saints,#9 GB or #12-Skins..it's the s o s..projections lean more wrong than right. Tee it up,than we shall see 👀 ..Moving on to.. top 3 players, Run-D grades per team https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-run-defense-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018 .. Secondary  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-secondary-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018  

• 2 weeks later...

PFF overall position projections for 2018 continue. If you missed any or interested? Open this site, which will reveal team WR rankings  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-receiving-corps-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018  the other positions they have ranked are highlighted up top available to open on a click. ya,we can bark on a few of these team rankings.. but 1 week 1 day to Giants, yip,yip,yippie!     

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

PFF overall position projections for 2018 continue. If you missed any or interested? Open this site, which will reveal team WR rankings  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-receiving-corps-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018  the other positions they have ranked are highlighted up top available to open on a click. ya,we can bark on a few of these team rankings.. but 1 week 1 day to Giants, yip,yip,yippie!     

I generally believe projection like this are useless.   Actual performance is only what counts. And they include Josh Gordon in there....whose reliability is questionable.

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I generally believe projection like this are useless.   Actual performance is only what counts. And they include Josh Gordon in there....whose reliability is questionable.

Actually projections are useful they can even predict presidential elections with great accuracy, don't believe me just ask our president Hillary.  :lol:

Well they can be an interesting subject of debate going into a season to see how accurate the BROWNS and the other 31 teams brain trusts did in their team building.......or maybe who needs to be fired.

Well, to be fair our defensive end unit as it stands today is a bit shaky. Garrett is likely to be a beast, but Ogbah is coming off injury and the depth behind leaves a lot to be desired.

While I get what Gregg is saying, I still would have drafted Chubb. I think Ward is going to be a solid pro, but to me defensive end is the 2nd most important position on the field outside QB. DE is a position where you can't have enough depth and ours just isn't there, on paper anyway. I suppose time will tell though.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What a classy & neat thing to do! That kid will certainly NEVER forget the day.

Mike

8 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Well, to be fair our defensive end unit as it stands today is a bit shaky. Garrett is likely to be a beast, but Ogbah is coming off injury and the depth behind leaves a lot to be desired.

While I get what Gregg is saying, I still would have drafted Chubb. I think Ward is going to be a solid pro, but to me defensive end is the 2nd most important position on the field outside QB. DE is a position where you can't have enough depth and ours just isn't there, on paper anyway. I suppose time will tell though.

As good as Garrett could be, we had literally NOTHING at CB, which virtually crippled Garrett & our other DEs. IMHO, Ward was a far bigger need & I'll trust Dorsey & crew to make the right choices.

Mike

38 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

As good as Garrett could be, we had literally NOTHING at CB, which virtually crippled Garrett & our other DEs. IMHO, Ward was a far bigger need & I'll trust Dorsey & crew to make the right choices.

Mike

There were so many times last year that Garrett got to the QB in 2 seconds but the ball was gone due to such poor CB coverage. Having a well Ogbah full speed IMO is just huge to go along with far better CB and S play. I expect our sacks to double as a team.

11 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I'm not going to disagree with the concept, but I just disagree with the execution. I'd also argue we added a lot of CB depth in the off-season too.

Love 'em or hate 'em.... PFF generates a lot of convo 'round here... so they've got that going for them.

My take? Theirs is a sum of the pieces analysis... no different here for the D than it is for the OL. We all know in this team game that the whole can be much greater (or less) than the sum of the part. Biggest factor in determining whether the D exceeds or falls short of it's sum? The DC...

I see us better than 28th. I think Greg is good, but was compensating thru '17 for a big hole in the middle of the 2ndary. Doesn't seem that will be the case this go 'round.

Archived