THE BROWNS BOARD

L. Bell/Steelers fail to reach agreement - last year in Pittsburgh?

mjp28

23 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I think you may be correct. Imagine if Tomlin was a better coach what they could have accomplished. 

Part of the "exceptionally run organization" is getting players' suspensions reduced, replays overturned in their favor, and a lack of penalties called against them. They're one of the chosen franchises in today's NFL, and hopefully that's coming to an end.

I've gone on a belligerent rant about this before, but I totally agree. The simple truth is that the NFL and any other sports league is going to defend their star players. In the case of the NFL, it means Tom Brady is gonna get that close roughing call, Antonio Brown the close PI, etc. It comes with the territory.

However, you can't overlook the Steelers organization and what they do outside this type of thing. They notoriously don't budge on contracts, stick to their guns, and just make good draft decisions (Ben, Bell, Brown, etc were all Steeler draft picks). Just like the Patriots, you don't stay relevant in the NFL for over a decade without some top brass holding the puppet strings. 

16 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I've gone on a belligerent rant about this before, but I totally agree. The simple truth is that the NFL and any other sports league is going to defend their star players. In the case of the NFL, it means Tom Brady is gonna get that close roughing call, Antonio Brown the close PI, etc. It comes with the territory.

However, you can't overlook the Steelers organization and what they do outside this type of thing. They notoriously don't budge on contracts, stick to their guns, and just make good draft decisions (Ben, Bell, Brown, etc were all Steeler draft picks). Just like the Patriots, you don't stay relevant in the NFL for over a decade without some top brass holding the puppet strings. 

Actually,  they have hit on a few brilliant draft selections....like the ones you mention.  But those few exceptions aside, I don't think their drafting has been anything but mediocre beyond that. 

But where they have excelled at as an organization is in the coaching that they have chosen.  And I don't really mean their HC.  Tomlin and Cowher were good solid HCs in this league,   but  finger LeBeau may go into the HOF as the best Coordinator on either side of the ball either.  (though since he is already in as a player, I don't know that he would be considered to be inducted as an asst. coach).  And now they have Mike Munchak another HOF player, who, as an offensive line coach, I consider to be almost on par with LeBeau. 

Who is gonna pay him 17m per? I think the hang up was guaranteed money. Bell is arguably the best in the league and if he has career longevity he may go down as one of the best ever because of his style of running. He ain't! Worth 16-17 per year.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:46 PM, nickers said:

Bell's best years are more likely behind him...No ones gonna lose sleep...

Not true but not running behind our line IF he does leave is going to make him realize he's had a pretty peachy situation. His running style while insanely patient and his short area quickness will be exposed if his line is bad. Dude is a monster but you don't risk the roster to pay him like he seems to want to be paid. The Steelers aren't sitting on 80m in room. Frankly the teams that will have a ton of room next offseason won't be in need of running backs either.

16 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Not true but not running behind our line IF he does leave is going to make him realize he's had a pretty peachy situation. His running style while insanely patient and his short area quickness will be exposed if his line is bad. Dude is a monster but you don't risk the roster to pay him like he seems to want to be paid. The Steelers aren't sitting on 80m in room. Frankly the teams that will have a ton of room next offseason won't be in need of running backs either.

Generally, statistically, it is true.  The Shelf life of RBs is short...and he will be entering his 6th year when traditionally backs do fall off.  Now, of course, many have not. And I would not think that he would fall off...yet.  But, after this year....and another one or two...highly possible.  Its just history.  Yes, I am generalizing so don't go all menstrual over what I have said as you have a tendency to do.

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Generally, statistically, it is true.  The Shelf life of RBs is short...and he will be entering his 6th year when traditionally backs do fall off.  Now, of course, many have not. And I would not think that he would fall off...yet.  But, after this year....and another one or two...highly possible.  Its just history.  Yes, I am generalizing so don't go all menstrual over what I have said as you have a tendency to do.

Absolutely but I don't expect the fall off anytime soon, certainly not before his next contract expires. Bell is different. His running style is more age proof than most but he himself understands their shelf life is different which is why he's pushing for so much money. 

OH and don't talk to me about pms'ing. You probably have stock in midol.

26 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Absolutely but I don't expect the fall off anytime soon, certainly not before his next contract expires. Bell is different. His running style is more age proof than most but he himself understands their shelf life is different which is why he's pushing for so much money. 

OH and don't talk to me about pms'ing. You probably have stock in midol.

Why would you care about his next contract?  Under his next contract he won't be playing for the Steelers. 

And, OK,   I won't talk to you about pmsing.  You should see your gyneocologist  about that.  

On 7/16/2018 at 5:25 PM, mjp28 said:
No deal for Steelers and RB Le'Veon Bell.
No deal for Cowboys and DeMarcus Lawrence.
No deal for Lions and Ziggy Ansah.
No deal for Rams and Lamarcus Joyner.
A dud of a deadline day. But the Free Agent Class of 2019 just got stronger.

Yes, for everyone but the Browns.

Archived