THE BROWNS BOARD

Would an NHL team work in Cleveland?

Dawgs89

Just now, boo fagley said:

Hockey thrives in football towns. See - Dallas, Boston, Chicago, Buffalo, Pittsburgh,.DC, Denver, Philadelphia

Put a winner out there and they will come. Look at Las Vegas? Who would guess hockey would make it there. Or Dallas, Tampa Bay, Nashville.

There is nothing to say that hockey could not have thrived here in Cleveland.   It was really never, ever given a chance.  While maybe initially attendance was off, interest in the team was starting to catch on.  It was really bad management.....or misfeasance if not malfeasance that caused things to go wrong.   There was also apparently some gouging going on in their lease arrangement with the Coliseum. Not sure who was running the Coliseum at that point  (Nick Mileti? or someone else)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Are you drunk?  Or on some other drug?

I left 5 years in the cold of Wyoming and never want to experience anything like that again. I hate Ice. They had two seasons, winter and July 4.

the reason it wont happen is not brcause hockey wouldnt go over well here, cause it would, but because cleveland pulls fans from the south for all their other teams. ohio wants columbus to have hockey and the buckeyes. if cleveland were to push for a hockey team columbus could start making noise for a basketball team and "maybe" even push for an NFL team. wouldnt surprise me in the slightest to hear of colimbus approaching haslem to move the browns there. 

i went to one of the playoff games berween the jackets and caps.....tgat sht was amazing. as much as i loved it tho id rather let the blue jackets pull all of ohio and keep columbus more or less browns territory. i would like nothing more than for the bucks to be a conduit of players to the browns.      nick bosa shut ur fukking mouth and say nothing about cleveland just fukking come here and get a big building poster of urself

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Hockey is definitely "international".  Obviously, it is the national sport of Canada, so that there makes it international......but it is also huge in Russia, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Poland,  Czech/Slovakia, Croatia, Slovenia, Norway, Switzerland, South Korea...and in a lot of the Former USSR republics, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan etc.   About 50 countries had teams that tried to get into the Winter Olympic games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2018_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_qualification

Hockey is international including the Olympics. 

The NHL is played in the USA and Canada, I don't think that there will be any NHL teams abroad. 

Back to the original question would the NHL work in Cleveland? 

Would someone bankroll it -and- would the NHL go for it over other possible cities.......I don't know.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Back to the original question would the NHL work in Cleveland? 

Would someone bankroll it -and- would the NHL go for it over other possible cities.......I don't know.

The answer to the last part is definitely no. NHL doesn't want to come to Cleveland because I think the Cleveland is the Columbus blue me jackets territoryThe answer to the last part is definitely no. NHL doesn't want to come to Cleveland because I think that Cleveland is the Columbus blue me jackets

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is nothing to say that hockey could not have thrived here in Cleveland.   It was really never, ever given a chance.  While maybe initially attendance was off, interest in the team was starting to catch on.  It was really bad management.....or misfeasance if not malfeasance that caused things to go wrong.   There was also apparently some gouging going on in their lease arrangement with the Coliseum. Not sure who was running the Coliseum at that point  (Nick Mileti? or someone else)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

If there was only the Browns, Indians and the NHL team in Cleveland... and assuming Columbus wasn't given an expansion team.... Yes, I believe Cleveland could have been a decent NHL town. Seems like the Monsters get good support. 

But I still stick to my assertion that Cleveland is not a big enough market for four pro teams... For a NHL team to have succeeded in Cleveland, there could not have been the Cavs. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If there was only the Browns, Indians and the NHL team in Cleveland... and assuming Columbus wasn't given an expansion team.... Yes, I believe Cleveland could have been a decent NHL town. Seems like the Monsters get good support. 

But I still stick to my assertion that Cleveland is not a big enough market for four pro teams... For a NHL team to have succeeded in Cleveland, there could not have been the Cavs. 

4 teams work in markets of similar size including Minnesota Denver and maybe a couple of others

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

4 teams work in markets of similar size including Minnesota Denver and maybe a couple of others

Minneapolis metro area has 3.6 million residents, #16 in U.S. Denver has 2.8 million residents, #19 in U.S.

Cleveland metro has 2.0 million, #33, and unlike the above two markets, is slightly declining in population.  

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Minneapolis metro area has 3.6 million residents, #16 in U.S. Denver has 2.8 million residents, #19 in U.S.

Cleveland metro has 2.0 million, #33, and unlike the above two markets, is slightly declining in population.  

See above at the DMA numbers....which are the ones that count.  Your numbers are off.   Way the Shmuck off.  The Cleveland area is only about 250,000 behind Minnesota, and 150K behind  Denver.  You must be only counting like Cuyahoga County, not the entire metro area.  Here are the whole Metro area numbers for combined statistical areas:

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI Combined Statistical Area 3,946,533 3,684,928 +7.10% Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area
St. Cloud, MN Metropolitan Statistical Area
Faribault-Northfield, MN Micropolitan Statistical Area
Red Wing, MN Micropolitan Statistical Area
Hutchinson, MN Micropolitan Statistical Area
15 Denver-Aurora, CO Combined Statistical Area 3,515,374 3,090,874 +13.73% Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
Boulder, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
Greeley, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
16 Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH Combined Statistical Area 3,485,691 3,515,646 −0.85% Cleveland-Elyria, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area
Akron, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area
Canton-Massillon, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area
Ashtabula, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area
New Philadelphia-Dover, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area
Sandusky, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area
Norwalk, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area

And that data doesn't include the Toledo or Mahoning Valley  (Youngstown/Warren) areas which really aren't too much farther out than the Akron/Canton areas.

Lake Erie sure cuts it off from the north.

I've driven the Niles/Girard to Cleveland run for decades for primarily sporting events countless times. (I've also done the run to Pittsburgh for Pirates games or work, nearly the same mileage and time, especially from Boardman where I live now.....oh and I've NEVER seen a steelrz game there!)

Compared to true big city driving those commutes are easy. 

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The answer to the last part is definitely no. NHL doesn't want to come to Cleveland because I think the Cleveland is the Columbus blue me jackets territoryThe answer to the last part is definitely no. NHL doesn't want to come to Cleveland because I think that Cleveland is the Columbus blue me jackets

And the new Vegas pucksters won the Stanley Cup out of the gate, that doesn't help old NE OHIO'S case for new sports franchises. 

Ironically Nevada is a geographically big dust bowl outside of Vegas and Reno areas but close enough California......with a commute.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And the new Vegas pucksters won the Stanley Cup out of the gate, that doesn't help old NE OHIO'S case for new sports franchises. 

Ironically Nevada is a geographically big dust bowl outside of Vegas and Reno areas but close enough California......with a commute.

Vegas did not win the Stanley Cup....the Washington Capitols did.   And I am not sure what that has to do with NEOhio's case for a sports franchise. 

I mean...it IS a very, very rare event that a team will win...or compete for a league title their first year in a league,....but it is not unprecedented.  The St. Louis Blues made the NHL finals their first year in the league.

And one team that I recall DID win the league Championship their first year in the league....that team is called The Cleveland Browns.  1950 NFL Champions, their first year in the NFL.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Vegas did not win the Stanley Cup....the Washington Capitols did.   And I am not sure what that has to do with NEOhio's case for a sports franchise. 

Wow how did I juxtapose that one, how could I forget the only front row lady Caps fan flash the winning team and the sporting world while they had the cup....in vegas yet. Still it was a great "showing" by the Golden Knights.

I wonder what became of her?

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow how did I juxtapose that one, how could I forget the only front row lady Caps fan flash the winning team and the sporting world while they had the cup....in vegas yet. Still it was a great "showing" by the Golden Knights.

I wonder what became of her?

She probably became a stripper...in Vegas of course!

On 7/10/2018 at 4:59 PM, Zombo said:

Won't happen. You can always drive to Columbus. Or Pittsburgh. Or Buffalo. Or Detroit.

Z

I wouldn't say it won't happen, but the NHL is determined to grown the sport in sunbelt states.  

There was a reason NHL teams were all northern or Canadian teams 60 years ago,  That isn't a issue now.  Look at Tampa or Nashville.....it is as hot as hot gets and both sell out.  I understand Tampa with the snowbirds, but in Nashville, the Preds are a desired ticket.   Houston to me would be a logical target.  Big city, have a natural rivalry with Dallas

On 7/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, Clevfan4life said:

the reason it wont happen is not brcause hockey wouldnt go over well here, cause it would, but because cleveland pulls fans from the south for all their other teams. ohio wants columbus to have hockey and the buckeyes. if cleveland were to push for a hockey team columbus could start making noise for a basketball team and "maybe" even push for an NFL team. wouldnt surprise me in the slightest to hear of colimbus approaching haslem to move the browns there. 

i went to one of the playoff games berween the jackets and caps.....tgat sht was amazing. as much as i loved it tho id rather let the blue jackets pull all of ohio and keep columbus more or less browns territory. i would like nothing more than for the bucks to be a conduit of players to the browns.      nick bosa shut ur fukking mouth and say nothing about cleveland just fukking come here and get a big building poster of urself

Retard meme

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Every google search puts the Cleveland Metropolitan population at slightly above 2.0 million people.

But when I took the 2010 populations of Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, Summit, Wayne, Stark, Portage, Geauga, and Lake counties (all within a hour or so of Cleveland) I got 3,243,839 people. So what consists of the Cleveland metro area? (Because all the above counties are fairly close)

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Meanwhile CLE 4 NYY 4 BOTTOM 6 and Severino just got replaced......in a sold out house. Good game.

NHL, eh, real long shot.

16 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I wouldn't say it won't happen, but the NHL is determined to grown the sport in sunbelt states.  

But like I said, they left Atlanta for Canada...twice.  So there is some contraindication.

There was a reason NHL teams were all northern or Canadian teams 60 years ago,  That isn't a issue now.  Look at Tampa or Nashville.....it is as hot as hot gets and both sell out.  I understand Tampa with the snowbirds, but in Nashville, the Preds are a desired ticket.   Houston to me would be a logical target.  Big city, have a natural rivalry with Dallas.

I wonder why the NHL did not accept the Houston WHA team when that league merged with the NHL?

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Every google search puts the Cleveland Metropolitan population at slightly above 2.0 million people.

NO, it doesn't.  I just showed you one.  

But when I took the 2010 populations of Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, Summit, Wayne, Stark, Portage, Geauga, and Lake counties (all within a hour or so of Cleveland) I got 3,243,839 people. So what consists of the Cleveland metro area? (Because all the above counties are fairly close)

Again, see the two matters I put on above.  Both the Denver and Twin Cities areas include outer regions..just as does the Cleveland area..  It is basically the overall market area.  And as I said, for TV viewing purposes, the Neilsen DMA areas are probably the most important.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

She probably WAS a stripper....long before she came to the game.

Can't find anything on her, name, news, nothin'.  But Stormy was in Columbus :lol:

Archived