THE BROWNS BOARD

The Ten Teams that Best Represent America????

The Gipper

Colin Cowherd...or his producers were at it earlier today.  He/they put out their list of the  10 Sports Teams that "best" represented America.   Now, to be honest with you...he never gave a specific definition on how a team can be considered to represent America the "best".    Except, what he actually said is that these are the teams, from America, with the biggest "brands".   With maybe one exception.  

Here is his list.  He did have an order, but I don't remember it all, but  I remember the Top 3:

1.  The Dallas Cowboys

2. The Los Angeles Lakers

3. The New York Yankees

And I remember that he had the New England Patriots at #10 (saying that before Brady/BB no one cared about them, and once TB/BB leave no one will care about them.

The others, in no order are:  

The Chicago Cubs (he said they would be in here even if they had not won recently...because they are America's "lovable losers".

The Green Bay Packers (see below)

The Pittsburgh Steelers

The Golden State Warriors

Notre Dame Football

Duke basketball.

Of course, lets face it, one the Warriors decline they will be the same as the Patriots.  They are only "on top" right now due to their current dominance.

The ONE team that he said that is a true representation of America,  but not necessarily the biggest brand:

The Green Bay Packers.   He sited the fact that they are A.the only real small(er) town America team, and that that team is owned by the community. 

I fully agree with him on some of this: His reasons for the Packers and Cubs.  I agree that the Pats and Warriors are on there only because of recent success (for which reason I may also disagree on their inclusion...at all...but I understand it)

I also think that once Coach K is done at Duke....they too could end up going the way of the Pats and Warriors, but for now I am OK with them.

On the Steelers, he included them because, he said, they have won more Super Bowls....and because their fans "travel well".  So, yes, they have won all those titles....but as far as the traveling well.....when the Browns were good they dwarfed the amount of fans that traveled for the Steelers.  He pointed out that one reason that they traveled so well was because after the Steel mills all shut down, the people from that area ended up being spread all over the countryside.  And yes, that is true.  But like I said, I would not put Browns fans below any other fan base when it comes to traveling well.  And I think the world (or at least the nation) will find out about that soon.

Also...note....no hockey teams made Cowherd's list. That is probably fair.

So....if you have a variant opinion on which teams best represent America, please chime in.

These subjective opinion lists are just that, subjective. 

If you look at it closely it's kind of an Americana list as viewed by someone from outside of these United States of America. 

Cowboys, Yankees, Notre Dame,  yeah I can see that.....but Duke? How'd they sneak in there?

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What about the Slippery Rock whatever that thing is called Rocky?😁

Slippery Rock and Michigan have an interesting historical relationship. We announce their football results at every home game. They've played in the big house too.

Steelers make sense. Rust Belt. American values. Etc. Plus they've been much more successful than us.

Notre Dame made me laugh at first. Then I remembered the increasing number of senior citizens from the baby boomers, and it makes sense. Notre Dame represents that America well.

11 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Steelers make sense. Rust Belt. American values. Etc. Plus they've been much more successful than us.

Notre Dame made me laugh at first. Then I remembered the increasing number of senior citizens from the baby boomers, and it makes sense. Notre Dame represents that America well.

Notre Dame is still the #1 brand among all of college sports perhaps,  from GI Generation to Boomers, to Millenials.

Name another program that has its own network.

54 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Notre Dame is still the #1 brand among all of college sports perhaps,  from GI Generation to Boomers, to Millenials.

Texas

and I can promise you Notre Dame is not the #1 brand among Millennials… lol.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Slippery Rock and Michigan have an interesting historical relationship. We announce their football results at every home game. They've played in the big house too.

Does Slippery Rock's rival beat them every year too? 😁

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Being a long time ND fan you can see where they fell off the track but still have a unique following :

1918–30 Knute Rockne 13 105–12–5 .881 1924, 1929, 1930
1931–33 Heartley Anderson 3 16–9–2 .630  
1934–40 Elmer Layden 7 47–13–3 .770  
1941–43, 46–53 Frank Leahy 11 87–11–9 .855 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949
1944 Edward McKeever 1 8–2–0 .800  
1945, 63 Hugh Devore 2 9–9–1 .500  
1954–58 Terry Brennan 5 32–18–0 .640 no #1 in the 50s
1959–62 Joe Kuharich 4 17–23–0 .425 only losing record over time 
1964–74 Ara Parseghian 11 95–17–4 .836 1966, 1973
1975–80 Dan Devine 6 53–16–1 .764 1977
1981–85 Gerry Faust 5 30–26–1 .535 oooops
1986–96 Lou Holtz 11 100–30–2 .765 1988
1997–2001 Bob Davie 5 35–25 .583 and trying to get it back!
2001* George O'Leary 0 0–0 .000  
2002–2004 Tyrone Willingham 3 21–15 .583  
2004** Kent Baer 1 0–1 .000  
2005–2009 Charlie Weis 5 35–27 .565  
2010–present Brian Kelly 8 69–34 .670 getting closer but...
Totals 31 coaches 126 seasons 895–321–42 .731
* George O'Leary did not coach a single practice or game, being fired five days 

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Prove it

Well, you were already wrong about Notre Dame being the only school that "had their own network". Since they don't and Texas literally does. 

All of the glory days you talk about with the Browns, when blacks couldn't play and the forward pass didn't exist, that's when Notre Dame was relevant. ND is old blood. If you want to think they're as relevant to younger fans as OSU, Bama, etc, then so be it. I won't convince you otherwise

I used to listen to football on the Armed Forces Shortwave Radio broadcasts in Venezuela and they always included the Slippery Rock score along with all the top conference teams in the country. Otherwise I never would have heard of the school growing up in Texas.

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Prove it

The NOTRE DAME network is essentially the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation  (NBC), ND just went out against the objections of the NCAA and did it.

UT, well  http://www.espn.com/longhornnetwork/about

TEXAS SPORTS. ALL THE LIVE LONG DAY.

Longhorn Network covers Texas sports like never before. With 175 exclusive events a year from all 20 UT sports, and hundreds of hours of original studio content, you can put your eyes upon Texas ALL THE LIVE LONG DAY. Stay close to your Horns with weekly coaches' shows, live press conferences, pre and postgame analysis with Texas GameDay, All Access behind the scenes, and coverage of Lifetime Longhorns. LHN is also available on WatchESPN with participating providers.

Exclusive Events

• At least two regular season Texas Football games
  • Approximately 10 men's and 14 women's basketball games
  • Approximately 60+ softball and baseball games
  • Nearly all home women's volleyball and soccer matches
  • Swimming and diving, track and field, tennis, rowing, and golf event coverage

Studio & Other Programming

• Get ready for kickoff with live Texas GameDay pregame and Texas GameDay Final postgame for every Texas Football game. Plus, Texas GameDay for select basketball and baseball games.
  • Exclusive Coaches Shows with the Longhorns’ coaches.
  • Beyond the football regular season, coverage of Signing Day, Pro Day, and Orange & White Spring Game.
  • Academic content showcasing the University and city of Austin, including esteemed guest lecturers, live coverage of Commencement, UT President's address, campus events, and music.

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well, you were already wrong about Notre Dame being the only school that "had their own network". Since they don't and Texas literally does. 

All of the glory days you talk about with the Browns, when blacks couldn't play and the forward pass didn't exist, that's when Notre Dame was relevant. ND is old blood. If you want to think they're as relevant to younger fans as OSU, Bama, etc, then so be it. I won't convince you otherwise

I am talking about a National Broadcasting Network....like NBC.    Not something that they created themselves for themselves.

And you are totally missing the point:   the question asked was NOT "which program is winning the most now or getting the better recruits"   the question is:  "which program best represents America"  "Which program has the most recognizable brand".  
This particular Forbes study has  Texas as the #1 "most valuable" program, and Notre Dame as #2. 

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45el/2-university-of-notre-dame-fighting-irish/#68d261405cd8

But just being the most valuable money wise does not mean the same as being the most recognizable or the best representative of the entire nation. My daughter lives in Texas, and while people like them, there is a high debate about whether that school even best represents  Texas.  Ask some of our Texas patrons on here about that that.

Our posts went up simultaneously, how about that. 

Just now, mjp28 said:

The NOTRE DAME network is essentially the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation  (NBC), ND just went out against the objections of the NCAA and did it.

UT, well  http://www.espn.com/longhornnetwork/about

TEXAS SPORTS. ALL THE LIVE LONG DAY.

Longhorn Network covers Texas sports like never before. With 175 exclusive events a year from all 20 UT sports, and hundreds of hours of original studio content, you can put your eyes upon Texas ALL THE LIVE LONG DAY. Stay close to your Horns with weekly coaches' shows, live press conferences, pre and postgame analysis with Texas GameDay, All Access behind the scenes, and coverage of Lifetime Longhorns. LHN is also available on WatchESPN with participating providers.

Exclusive Events

• At least two regular season Texas Football games
  • Approximately 10 men's and 14 women's basketball games
  • Approximately 60+ softball and baseball games
  • Nearly all home women's volleyball and soccer matches
  • Swimming and diving, track and field, tennis, rowing, and golf event coverage

Studio & Other Programming

• Get ready for kickoff with live Texas GameDay pregame and Texas GameDay Final postgame for every Texas Football game. Plus, Texas GameDay for select basketball and baseball games.
  • Exclusive Coaches Shows with the Longhorns’ coaches.
  • Beyond the football regular season, coverage of Signing Day, Pro Day, and Orange & White Spring Game.
  • Academic content showcasing the University and city of Austin, including esteemed guest lecturers, live coverage of Commencement, UT President's address, campus events, and music.

Right, it is basically like an on campus radio station, except it is an on campus sports tv station.

How many people in Ohio...Michigan, New York, PA, Chicago, Philly, California...etc.  subscribe to that network?

SUPPORT/FAQ

If you require additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care Team at 85-LONGHORN or (855)-664-4676.

General Questions

• What is Longhorn Network (LHN)?

Longhorn Network (LHN) is a partnership between ESPN and The University of Texas to serve Longhorn fans with Texas Sports coverage. LHN airs 175 exclusive events a year from all 20 UT sports, hundreds of hours of original studio content, weekly coaches' shows, live press conferences, pre and postgame analysis with Texas GameDay, All Access behind the scenes, and coverage of Lifetime Longhorns. Plus, LHN also covers UT campus academic events and happenings.

• How can I get LHN?

Click here to see a list of providers that carry LHN.

• What if my TV service provider doesn't offer LHN?

We encourage you to keep calling your provider to request LHN or switch to a carrier that does. Click here to see a list of providers that carry LHN.

• Can I pay to subscribe to LHN online, Pay-Per-View or via ESPN3 if I can't get it on TV?

No.

• Am I able to watch LHN online, on my mobile phone or tablet device?

LHN is available to stream via the ESPN App and WatchESPN on computers, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. Streaming access to LHN requires a subscription from an affiliated video service provider. Please contact your provider to check availability.

• How do I access LHN online or with WatchESPN?

Access to LHN requires a video subscription from an affiliated video service provider. Online registration through your TV service provider is required in order to access content.

More info at WatchESPN FAQ page here.

• Where can I locate and apply for jobs and internships at LHN?

Online at ESPNcareers.com

Click here for additional details.

Contact Customer Care

• How can I contact someone for help?

Contact the Longhorn Network Customer Care Team. If you do not see the answer to your question for the problem above, or if you have further questions, comments or suggestions on how we can improve LHN, please contact our Customer Care Team 85-LONGHORN or (855)-664-4676.

The LONGHORN NETWORK is bigger than just a college radio station:

AVAILABILITY

Longhorn Network is available with these providers. Please contact your provider to check availability and channel designations.

LHN is also available to stream via the ESPN App and WatchESPN on computers, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. Streaming access to LHN requires a subscription from an affiliated video service provider.

AT&T U-verse

Website | 1-800-ATT-2020

Bay City/Texas Mid-Gulf

Website | 844.5go.fast

Cable One

Website | 1-877-MYCABLE

CenturyLink Stream

Website

Charter

Website | 1-877-906-9121

Cox

Website | 866-961-0027

Consolidated

Website | 1.866.989.2255

DIRECTV

Website | 1.800.GET SPORTS

DIRECTV NOW

Website

DISH

Website | 1-800-333-DISH

Entouch

Website | 281.225.1000

Etex

Website | 903.797.TECH

Grande Communications

Website | 855-286-6666

GoogleFiber

Website | 866.777.7550

Layer3 TV

Website | 1-844-529-3738

Mid-Coast Cablevision

Website | 877.543.4850

Suddenlink

Website | 877-694-9474

Sony PlayStation Vue

Website

Verizon FiOS

Website | 1-800-VERIZON

TMI on the effing Longhorn network.   Really.

And aside from Woody's silopsism about Notre Dame.....I see that no one else apparently objected to anything that Cowherd put out there.

But, I ask this:   Can not the Raiders be said to represent a large part of America?  Its somewhat darker side?

Consider that the Raiders are the team of choice for Biker gangs and  street gangs...and any number of nefarious entities?   It has represented the worst of the greed associated with capitalism....It is the one team that would move and abandon a fan base at the drop of a hat...leaving devastation behind in its wake.   Now it is going to Vegas....Sin City itself. 

The Raiders may not represent the wholesome America that people want to see....but they absolutely represent some of the basic truth about America.

Fair to say?

☠️:ph34r:

On 7/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, The Gipper said:

I am talking about a National Broadcasting Network....like NBC.    Not something that they created themselves for themselves.

And you are totally missing the point:   the question asked was NOT "which program is winning the most now or getting the better recruits"   the question is:  "which program best represents America"  "Which program has the most recognizable brand".  
This particular Forbes study has  Texas as the #1 "most valuable" program, and Notre Dame as #2. 

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45el/2-university-of-notre-dame-fighting-irish/#68d261405cd8

But just being the most valuable money wise does not mean the same as being the most recognizable or the best representative of the entire nation. My daughter lives in Texas, and while people like them, there is a high debate about whether that school even best represents  Texas.  Ask some of our Texas patrons on here about that that.

1) ND games are broadcast on NBC, it's not their Network.

2) Figured you'd post a more recent "most valuable" article. That one has to be at least 5 years old. Plus, a lot of the most recent ones have OSU as most valuable. ND being much lower than 1. Here they're 8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-division-i-fbs/news/ohio-state-most-valuable-college-football-program/qsmdg38wta4311g2ypz1c8e3q

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

1) ND games are broadcast on NBC, it's not their Network.

2) Figured you'd post a more recent "most valuable" article. That one has to be at least 5 years old. Plus, a lot of the most recent ones have OSU as most valuable. ND being much lower than 1. Here they're 8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-division-i-fbs/news/ohio-state-most-valuable-college-football-program/qsmdg38wta4311g2ypz1c8e3q

Yes my point exactly Notre Dame is broadcast on a national broadcasting network. Texas is not. They are broadcast on their own private network that is only for their own private usage and your own esoteric fans. No national broadcast network is interested in exclusively being the network for the university of Texas

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes my point exactly Notre Dame is broadcast on a national broadcasting network. Texas is not. They are broadcast on their own private network that is only for their own private usage and your own esoteric fans. No national broadcast network is interested in exclusively being the network for the university of Texas

Not "their Network". Other teams are on NBC. But whatever, I can't get you to change your mind when you're saying 2+2=5, I'm not going to here on some definition of "own". 

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Not "their Network". Other teams are on NBC. But whatever, I can't get you to change your mind when you're saying 2+2=5, I'm not going to here on some definition of "own". 

What other team is shown on NBC. I am not aware of any other conference has a deal with NBC oh except maybe you know what is it Grambling and Prairieview A&M

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Not exactly there Woody, ND's deal is somewhat unique as compared to the other NCAA D-1A school's TV deals, from their last deal:

NBC's Notre Dame deal extended

...AP...Apr 18, 2013

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- NBC Sports Group announced a 10-year contract extension to televise Notre Dame football games Thursday, doubling the length of its previous agreement.

NBC and Notre Dame said the extension would begin in 2016 and run through the 2025 season. The contract, reportedly worth $15 million annually for football, had never run for more than five years.

NBC will have global media rights on all platforms to a minimum of seven Notre Dame home football games each year, with most airing on the main NBC network. It also allows for games to be carried on the NBC Sports Network cable channel.

NBC has held Notre Dame football TV rights since 1991. Terms of the new contract were not announced.

"Coming off one of Notre Dame's best and most dramatic seasons in decades, we could not be more proud to extend this historic partnership, which continues to be one of the most innovative in sports-media history," NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said in a statement. "We are particularly excited that this extension offers enhanced rights that allow us to bring Notre Dame football to fans on more platforms than ever before."

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said the addition of the NBC Sports Network will allow for greater exposure for the football team and other Notre Dame sports programs.

"We look forward to collaborating on additional projects and distribution strategies in seasons to come," Swarbrick said in a statement.

Notre Dame's football team finished the regular season 12-0 last season and lost to Alabama in the BCS championship game.

According to NBC Sports Group, the Irish averaged 4.4 million viewers and a 2.8 household rating for its seven games on NBC in 2012. That marked a 69 percent increase in viewers and 67 percent increase in household rating compared with 2011.

Notre Dame plans to continue using revenues from the contract to fund the school's financial-aid endowment for the general student body, not including athletes. The school said that since 1991, about 6,300 undergraduates have received nearly $80 million in aid from revenue generated through the NBC contract.

Notre Dame also uses NBC revenues to endow doctoral fellowships in its graduate school and MBA scholarships in its Mendoza College of Business.

Just to clarify.....being a big ND fan from the Ara days......NBC only had and lost the Pac-10 teams and others for a short while, their NCAA Football TV is pretty much Notre Dame and the below schools (from 2016 & 2017):

2016 scheduleEdit

Date Game Kickoff Time 
(Eastern Time)
Host Conference
Friday 09/30/16 Penn at Dartmouth 7:00 p.m. Ivy League[23]
Friday 10/21/16 Penn at Yale 7:00 p.m. Ivy League
Friday 10/28/16 Yale at Columbia 7:00 p.m. Ivy League
Friday 11/11/16 Harvard at Penn 8:00 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 11/19/16 Harvard at Yale 12:30 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 11/26/16 Southern vs. Grambling State 5:00 p.m. SWAC
Bayou Classic

2017 scheduleEdit

Date Game Kickoff Time 
(Eastern Time)
Host Conference
Friday 09/29/17 Dartmouth at Penn 7:00 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 09/30/17 Miami (OH) at Notre Dame 5:00 p.m. Notre Dame (Independent)
Friday 10/20/17 Princeton at Harvard 7:30 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 10/28/17 Cornell at Princeton 7:00 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 11/18/17 Harvard at Yale 12:00 p.m. Ivy League
Saturday 11/25/17 Southern vs. Grambling State 5:00 p.m. SWAC
Bayou Classic

On 7/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, The Gipper said:

Colin Cowherd...or his producers were at it earlier today.  He/they put out their list of the  10 Sports Teams that "best" represented America.   Now, to be honest with you...he never gave a specific definition on how a team can be considered to represent America the "best".    Except, what he actually said is that these are the teams, from America, with the biggest "brands".   With maybe one exception.  

The Pittsburgh Steelers

So....if you have a variant opinion on which teams best represent America, please chime in.

To get ratings - you gotta be willing to go Jerry Springer with controversy like Cowherd does all the time like that Skip Spraylessthentheaverageman always does.   The Title of this thread says the 10 teams that best represent America and I see Pittsburgh made the list.  I like the bait so I'll play.

Does the author of the subject understand what that Pittsburgh Steeler team did to the ONLY War veteran they have on their roster when he was the only guy on the team to come out of the tunnel to stand and honor the flag during the National Anthem?   Taking it a step further, he has protected the blind-side of Roethlisberger (their franchise QB) the same way that he put his life on the line for our country.  And what did HC in charge do after 1 of his players did the right thing?  He threw him under the bus in the media and made the guy feel guilty for doing what was right.  To be honest, Roethlisberger should have stepped up to the plate with the leadership part of his job he has been generously paid to uphold and reminded everyone in advance "ONE of us put his life on the line so we can enjoy our freedoms and 6-8 digit salaries.  The least we can do in return is accompany him in honoring what the National Anthem is really supposed to be about." 

Tomlin wasn't smart enough to understand what a perfect opportunity he had there in his leadership role any more than Roethlisberger was.  And people wonder why Tomlin and Ben Rapen can't ever beat the leadership tandem of BB and Tom Brady...  In fact, when it came time to beat a team they should have at home - the defensive minded Tomlin gave up 45 points (against a team that never scores as much as 45 points) on a day his offense scored 42 points (against a defense that never gives up that many points).  Guess what the conclusion of their self evaluations led to?  "Defense isn't the problem - we're firing the OC."  Tomlin missed this one exactly like he butchered the National Anthem making a villain out of the War Vet on 2 days his horrible leadership karma'd them to losses against teams they were supposed to beat.  Another part of being controversial with a sports opinion is the consistent laziness of research Cowherd puts behind his opinions... Just add a whole lotta TN Stupid Juice accompanied by Pottymouth Shakespeare and what we know about that kind of thing on this board?

The teams on the list have some legendary status or are current front runners such as Golden State.  They have a lot of fans who don't have any real connection to the team.  The Browns have a loyal base, but there aren't many who don't have some connection to the team or city.  Connections could be having lived there at one point, or a parent who lived there at one point.  Not many Howie's and Garreth's out there who just decided to follow the Browns.

As for hockey, he could have probably included the Detroit Red Wings.  They have a pretty wide base of fans who don't have any real connection to Detroit.

Archived