THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers writer Ed Bouchette

jcam222

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

He was being interviewed on Sirius last week. He said he believes that the Browns will beat the Steelers in the home opener by 3 or more. Found it interesting their reporter taking that stance. 

Well it opened at PIT -7, concensus is PIT -6.5 now, a stretch I guess.....WEEK 1:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

Screenshot_2018-07-02-23-25-20.png

On 7/2/2018 at 10:07 PM, jcam222 said:

He was being interviewed on Sirius last week. He said he believes that the Browns will beat the Steelers in the home opener by 3 or more. Found it interesting their reporter taking that stance. 

I called it months ago.

I still see the Browns 500 in the division.

9 hours ago, boo fagley said:

No because the Browns are going to be good this season.

They bether be much improved but with that schedule. 500 would be grounds for another parade......still would be nice.

QUESTIONS: Has the rest of the AFCN slipped enough where the BROWNS can win/steal 3 or 4 there? 

Can the BROWNS win more than 1 out every 4 games in the 2018 schedule? 

Inquiring minds want to know. :mellow::huh:<_<

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

They bether be much improved but with that schedule. 500 would be grounds for another parade......still would be nice.

QUESTIONS: Has the rest of the AFCN slipped enough where the BROWNS can win/steal 3 or 4 there? 

ANSWERS: Let me get back to you 12/31/2018.  😁

Mike

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Has the AFCN slipped enough? I don't know, the pundits say the ratbirds will be better. We are hoping the Browns are better. Pitt remains dangerous, they just can't beat NE. Cincy may be worse, but they've beaten the hell out of the Browns the last 3 years.

This city and forum will go nuts if the Browns take down the Steelers. Can't wait!!!

Cincy blows, Baltimore blows and Pittsburgh is one injury away from suckitude. They lose any one of AB, Pig Pen or Bell for extended time and it's looking like party in the Cleveland streets. Call me a homer because I think 4 games in the sports world is going to be scrambling to establish a new narrative on the Browns. 

He also said, Whipplie Godturd was going to beat Holly Holm in an MMA bout.

21 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Has the AFCN slipped enough? I don't know, the pundits say the ratbirds will be better. We are hoping the Browns are better. Pitt remains dangerous, they just can't beat NE. Cincy may be worse, but they've beaten the hell out of the Browns the last 3 years.

This city and forum will go nuts if the Browns take down the Steelers. Can't wait!!!

The BROWNS have been close numerous times like the last game of 2017 until Stonehands Coleman sealed the deal.

PIT holes - A. Brown, I have had him the last few years on my FL teams, instant offense but in 2017 showing signs of wear, missing games. 

Big Bucks Ben, one good hit from retirement or at least an extended vacation? 

CIN - maybe the BROWNS take two? BAL - eh, steal one?

YES..... jump on the new, revived BROWNS in 2018! Only 0-16 last year and 4-12 ATS last in the NFL.

It's an interesting statement, but it kind of sounds like "shock jock" content.  You'd have to be INSANE to actually pick the Browns in a season opener, and you'd have to be DOUBLY insane to pick us in an opener against the STEELERS.  Am I saying it's impossible?  Of course not.  But would I BET on it?  Heck no.  

If I was asked to make an argument for the Browns winning this game, I actually COULD, but I'm not sure how much I'd believe it.  In my mind, the Steelers tend to start out somewhat slowly.  I don't think they'll get players like Bell into training camp for much, and I don't think he'll play much in the preseason even if he's at camp.  There's a good chance the Steelers may be rusty when they visit to open the season, and that would be the time to make a statement.  Despite what the Pittsburgh players say in interviews about how much the Browns have improved, and how it's not the same old Browns, they're still going to head into the game believing they're going to win, as they should.  They generally DO win, and they generally make the plays when they have to be made.  Remember last opener?  Kizer completes the quick slant to Coleman for a 4th down touchdown to bring us within....like 4 points or something.  Pittsburgh gets the kickoff, and I think we have them in like a 2nd and 12.  Big Ben throws up a "punt" pass to Antonio in double coverage, and somehow he comes down with the ball.  Game over.  That pass falls incomplete, and it's likely Pittsburgh runs it, or attempts a short pass on 3rd down to keep the clock running (I forget how much time is left, so I could be wrong).  

Anyways, the point is, when a play has to be made, THEY are the ones used to making them.  No matter how rusty they are, no matter how little they played in the preseason, they're going to be confident.  If there was any good news, it'd be that playing the Steelers early is probably better than playing them later, so the time would be right for an upset.  As I've said before, the first game could go a LONG way in determining what kind of season we're going to have.  We find a way to win that first game, and all of the sudden the winless monkey is off our back, we get a division win, we get a HOME win, and our guys start the season with the feeling of WINNING.  We're so used to losing, that I don't think we'd survive an 0-2 beginning to the year.  The first game is so very important, and I'd love nothing more than to beat those turds.  

But would I bet on it?  Nope. 

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's an interesting statement, but it kind of sounds like "shock jock" content.  You'd have to be INSANE to actually pick the Browns in a season opener, and you'd have to be DOUBLY insane to pick us in an opener against the STEELERS.  Am I saying it's impossible?  Of course not.  But would I BET on it?  Heck no.  

If I was asked to make an argument for the Browns winning this game, I actually COULD, but I'm not sure how much I'd believe it.  In my mind, the Steelers tend to start out somewhat slowly.  I don't think they'll get players like Bell into training camp for much, and I don't think he'll play much in the preseason even if he's at camp.  There's a good chance the Steelers may be rusty when they visit to open the season, and that would be the time to make a statement.  Despite what the Pittsburgh players say in interviews about how much the Browns have improved, and how it's not the same old Browns, they're still going to head into the game believing they're going to win, as they should.  They generally DO win, and they generally make the plays when they have to be made.  Remember last opener?  Kizer completes the quick slant to Coleman for a 4th down touchdown to bring us within....like 4 points or something.  Pittsburgh gets the kickoff, and I think we have them in like a 2nd and 12.  Big Ben throws up a "punt" pass to Antonio in double coverage, and somehow he comes down with the ball.  Game over.  That pass falls incomplete, and it's likely Pittsburgh runs it, or attempts a short pass on 3rd down to keep the clock running (I forget how much time is left, so I could be wrong).  

Anyways, the point is, when a play has to be made, THEY are the ones used to making them.  No matter how rusty they are, no matter how little they played in the preseason, they're going to be confident.  If there was any good news, it'd be that playing the Steelers early is probably better than playing them later, so the time would be right for an upset.  As I've said before, the first game could go a LONG way in determining what kind of season we're going to have.  We find a way to win that first game, and all of the sudden the winless monkey is off our back, we get a division win, we get a HOME win, and our guys start the season with the feeling of WINNING.  We're so used to losing, that I don't think we'd survive an 0-2 beginning to the year.  The first game is so very important, and I'd love nothing more than to beat those turds.  

Like I added in another topic here today there are a lot of believers starting to come out of the woodwork. Maurice Jones Drew and James Jones both said they pick the Browns to sweep the Steelers this year. That's Brandt, Bouchette, Jones Drew, Jones....... the list is growing man. The bus will be overflowing soon

On 7/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, jcam222 said:

Like I added in another topic here today there are a lot of believers starting to come out of the woodwork. Maurice Jones Drew and James Jones both said they pick the Browns to sweep the Steelers this year. That's Brandt, Bouchette, Jones Drew, Jones....... the list is growing man. The bus will be overflowing soon

I can completely understand the reasons behind people projecting the Browns to win more games and perhaps even "sweeping the Steelers". On paper, our improvement is noticeable and somewhat irrefutable. But...that's not where things get fuzzy. Where it gets difficult is the "Browns Factor". 

I haven't seen this issue brought up before, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist. We lose. We INVENT ways to lose. We make losing look EASY. We fumble the ball when we're up ten points and about to punch it in from the ten yard line after we hand it to the fullback for his 1st career carry. We recover fumbles, only to have the refs signal the other team has possession when our player is holding the ball right in front of king and country. We drop 4th down passes after our QB miraculously evades 3 linemen and fires a perfect pass to the 10 yard line. We get personal foul penalties after our receiver makes a terrific play and gently tosses the ball to the ref and it glances off an opposing player. Need I go on? 

My point is obvious. Besides an influx of talent, we still have work to do. We need to somehow undo what we've done. We need to find a way to flip the script on bad luck and misfortune. Now, saying it is one thing, DOING it is quite another. The only way I know to do this is to win, and win early. We just HAVE to figure out how to win and not lose. 

46 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I can completely understand the reasons behind people projecting the Browns to win more games and perhaps even "sweeping the Steelers". On paper, our improvement is noticeable and somewhat irrefutable. But...that's not where things get fuzzy. Where it gets difficult is the "Browns Factor". 

I haven't seen this issue brought up before, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist. We lose. We INVENT ways to lose. We make losing look EASY. We fumble the ball when we're up ten points and about to punch it in from the ten yard line after we hand it to the fullback for his 1st career carry. We recover fumbles, only to have the refs signal the other team has possession when our player is holding the ball right in front of king and country. We drop 4th down passes after our QB miraculously evades 3 linemen and fires a perfect pass to the 10 yard line. We get personal foul penalties after our receiver makes a terrific play and gently tosses the ball to the ref and it glances off an opposing player. Need I go on? 

My point is obvious. Besides an influx of talent, we still have work to do. We need to somehow undo what we've done. We need to find a way to flip the script on bad luck and misfortune. Now, saying it is one thing, DOING it is quite another. The only way I know to do this is to win, and win early. We just HAVE to figure out how to win and not lose. 

I totally understand where you are coming from. We have sucked long term. It's my belief however, and the belief of many NFL folks that this is the best group of talent we have had since the return. The belief is the talent will be enough to flip the script. Let's hope that's true. Ps.... Adam Schein who has always belittled the Browns is now "fully onboard" and predicting it's an 8 win team this year. 

19 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I totally understand where you are coming from. We have sucked long term. It's my belief however, and the belief of many NFL folks that this is the best group of talent we have had since the return. The belief is the talent will be enough to flip the script. Let's hope that's true. Ps.... Adam Schein who has always belittled the Browns is now "fully onboard" and predicting it's an 8 win team this year. 

Believe me, I WANT this to be true. So much so it hurts. However, I know the wretched stink of losing is a sticky film not easily washed off. CONVERSELY...I've long said our beloved Browns won't incrementally get better. We'll have a magic year after everything comes together and then rule with an iron helmet. 

This might be that time. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, jiggins7919 said:

If I was asked to make an argument for the Browns winning this game, I actually COULD, but I'm not sure how much I'd believe it. 

Remember last opener?  Kizer completes the quick slant to Coleman for a 4th down touchdown to bring us within....like 4 points or something.  Pittsburgh gets the kickoff, and I think we have them in like a 2nd and 12.  Big Ben throws up a "punt" pass to Antonio in double coverage, and somehow he comes down with the ball.  Game over. 

Anyways, the point is, when a play has to be made, THEY are the ones used to making them. 

Or how about them just blocking a punt for a TD on us in a game we pretty much bottled up Bell to no impact. Unfortunately, we didn't have the secondary to stop their passing game. Antonio Brown had a sweat-free 180 yard+ performance.   Meanwhile, we gift-wrapped them our inexperienced QB with his NFL start #1 to give them all the margin of error necessary.   Good teams all have the margin of error that a 1-31 team longs for. 

As for things you can make an argument for today,  Denzel Ward could be a HUGE solution to non-competitive while we've added solid starters to compete for the other corner spot.  Both promising young DEs have had plenty of time to recuperate - while one of PFF's top run stuffers (Meder) returns as well. We also won't have to line up our FS in Ottawa any more while Peppers returns more to the position he played at Michigan. Schobert had a killer good year against the run after moving to MLB.  I'm guessing the more reasonable zone transition (w/Safeties) for the guy already responsible for defending both hook zones should improve his pass defense considerably.  We also added depth to the LBer Corps while Collins returns to the lineup.  I don't think this year's defense will give opponents the same BINGO FREE SPACE courtesy they've given them in recent years.  But, I've been wrong before.

Offensively, think back to all of the times we turned the ball over in the red zone to take the wind out of our sails following some semblance of a drive.  While Tyrod Taylor may not excite the masses any more than Alex Smith leaving backup duty in SF for KC did at first - an experienced playoff QB that doesn't turn the ball over can WIN. How?  Start by giving him good RBs. Buffalo did that and Taylor won more starts than he lost in all 3 seasons in Buffalo (he even made the Pro Bowl in his first year while making the playoffs in his 3rd year).  We can do a lot worse than Hyde, Chubb and Duke.  Dorsey finally ended the absurd tenure of "who needs WRs in a passing era?"  Adding a Pro Bowl WR like Landry to a newly inspired work ethic of Josh Gordon plus bringing in Callaway to push/upgrade Coleman gives fans game faces without needing to be creative.  All that should only help Njoku. and DeValve.  Biggest question looks like LT - where a 2nd Team All SEC LT Shon Coleman returns to his left side comfort zone.  For ages, I've heard the front 7s in the SEC are way more explosive/quicker in the SEC than all other conferences so I'm hoping I'm not doing too much wishful thinking.  If I am, TE Darren Fells marks the first time I've seen us make it a priority to improve our ability to help set the edge where and when necessary. We can take this 270 lb feller and give whoever we have at LT some quality help. We used to do this back when we replaced Winslow with Steve Heiden in various situations or when we went double tight.   

I realize FAN isn't just a prefix for fantastic. But when most of the outside world is noticing a massive difference between this off season in Cleveland up against all others in recent years - I hope I hit on some of reasons for their optimism above.  Keep in mind, a sportswriter in Pittsburgh isn't exactly wishful thinking upgrades in Cleveland.  I'd rather have us sneak up on teams expecting the same ole "don't worry if we can't beat Cleveland - they'll just beat themselves for us."   For example, running the option for the very first time when you have 1st and goal at the Jets' 4 yard line.    Yeah, what a surprise to see undisciplined spacing between a rookie QB and Crow causing the bad read/pitch to be recovered by the Jets. Not only are we upgrading experience to the decision making at QB; but I think Haley is a massive upgrade to our OC responsibility.  

On 7/7/2018 at 8:55 PM, Dawgs89 said:

I'll go on a huge limb here: The Browns will win the AFC North this season.

if that happens it'll be because the north has gone down completely into the shtter. u dont turn around that shtshow from the past 2 years into a division winner without major help from ur fellow div teams

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

if that happens it'll be because the north has gone down completely into the shtter. u dont turn around that shtshow from the past 2 years into a division winner without major help from ur fellow div teams

Under Dorsey's watch with Alex Tyrod Smith brought in HE Chiefs went from 2-14 to 11-5 in one season. It can and does happen. This team IMO is well positioned to shock the hell out of people. 

34 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Under Dorsey's watch with Alex Tyrod Smith brought in HE Chiefs went from 2-14 to 11-5 in one season. It can and does happen. This team IMO is well positioned to shock the hell out of people. 

please beleive me when i say 11-5 would give me diamond cutting nips. I just dont see it. Furthermore, im not going to heighten my expectations. We do this every year. So naturally when we suck everyones like "fire everybody". 5-11, with a good chunk of those 11 losses being at least close......im jerking off to 5-11. Thats the ceiling for this team imho

Been calling it for months. Its going to be a must see game of the day.

13 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Been calling it for months. Its going to be a must see game of the day.

Boo and Mel Kiper Jr, my two favorite prognosticators EVER!

4f9701b2eab8eac31200003f-480-360.jpg

........well three if you count Punxsutawney Phil. :wub:

On 7/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, mjp28 said:

I think the Browns have caught up to the Ravens and Bengals. Ben is still the best QB in the AFCN, but they still have Tomlin who is wasting Bens best years.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

I think the Browns have caught up to the Ravens and Bengals. Ben is still the best QB in the AFCN, but they still have Tomlin who is wasting Bens best years.

By getting him to two Super Bowls and putting him in offense that maximizes his skills surrounded by playmakers?

Zombo

Archived