THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi Interview from 6/25 Browns Daily Show

jiggins7919

First let me start off by saying I'm no big fan of Tony Grossi, and his negativity (although usually warranted) is tiring and nagging.  Even our COACHES don't like talking to this guy.  However, with all that said, I thought his interview on Browns Daily was pretty solid and provided some good information.  

One of the topics I thought was right on the head was our training camp futility with scoring the ball in two-minute drills.  Grossi said he and the media would generally try to spin it off as, "Boy, that defense looks great and doesn't allow 2 minute drives!", but what he was REALLY thinking was, "We can't ever get the ball in the endzone when there's 2 minutes to go and we need a score."  Grossi went on to say that it's been this way for YEARS, and we simply haven't had QB's who can lead an offense down the field for a score when we need it the most....IN PRACTICE.  The thought being, if we can't do it in practice, how in the world can we do it in the game?  Furthermore, Grossi was effusive in his praise for Tyrod Taylor, but he said his one major concern is Tyrod doesn't have good statistics in 2 minute situations when his team is trailing.  Neither the host nor Grossi provided the exact stats, but I get what he's saying.  The truly good or even great QB's are the ones that have the innate ability to drive their team down the field and get the score they need to win.  Obviously no QB is PERFECT in these specific situations, but the really good ones seem to have this trait.  

When asked what he'd like to see in camp, Grossi said he wants to see some successful 2 minute drives, and then he wants to see our starters actually play in the preseason.  Grossi indicated that we haven't had success in our season openers in part because we simply weren't READY.  Grossi wants to see us actually game-planning in training camp and into the preseason for the Steelers.  When you go back and look at our preseason games, look at what our starters did during the past two years.  I can't think of hardly ANY touchdowns our starters scored in the preseason, and the one that DOES come to mind was the one that happened 50 feet in front of me in Tampa Bay when Gordon shoved that little DB out of the way and caught that bomb from RG III (Josh would then go on to break my heart again, but I digress).

I think Grossi is pretty much dead on, and when you look at LAST year's preseason games, you see that we kind of won most of them in the 4th quarters when most of the guys playing probably aren't going to be on an NFL roster.  Kizer had a couple of nice endings to games, including that game-winning bomb, and that sort of propelled him into being the starter because neither Kessler nor Osweiler could manufacture many points.  Sure, Kizer made some plays, but he made the majority of them against bench-warmers, and by all indications, he struggled mightily during Browns practice as the starting QB.  It's almost like Kizer won the job by default, and that's NEVER good.  

Fast forward to 2018, and things feel pretty different.  We have to somehow balance between making sure Tyrod Taylor gets enough reps and looks proficient in the preseason, versus trying to protect the guy against a freak injury.  I don't want to even think about it, but what happens if Tyrod goes down?  Do we REALLY want to throw our #1 pick out there ALREADY?  Obviously that answer will come from training camp results, but from what I understand about our philosophy, we REALLY don't want Baker to play before he's ready because we want to protect our investment and give him every opportunity to succeed.  Some hold the mentality that throwing a guy into the fire is the best way to see what you have, and others feel differently.  Regardless, we DON'T want Tyrod going down, but we DO want him comfortable in the offense.  Grossi feels that our teams aren't prepared for the season openers in part because we don't play people enough, and he may be right.  This preseason is going to be extremely interesting for a lot of reasons, and I truly hope our fans and the media cut Baker a little slack in the beginning.  I predict Baker will struggle mightily in games 1 and 2, and then by game 4 (which I think he'll play A LOT), you'll start to see things click a bit.

47 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This preseason is going to be extremely interesting for a lot of reasons, and I truly hope our fans and the media cut Baker a little slack in the beginning.  I predict Baker will struggle mightily in games 1 and 2, and then by game 4 (which I think he'll play A LOT), you'll start to see things click a bit.

Yes, but in preseason game 4 he will not be going against starters, so it means nothing other than a (false) confidence builder.

Agree. The Browns have had a poor philosophy in preseason recently. Resting starters far too often IMHO.

On one hand, I'm glad Tyrod is here because he brings experience. The fear I have is he doesn't light up the scoreboard. In his defense, he didn't have the strongest WR corps, so maybe he has a better one here. 

7 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Agree. The Browns have had a poor philosophy in preseason recently. Resting starters far too often IMHO.

On one hand, I'm glad Tyrod is here because he brings experience. The fear I have is he doesn't light up the scoreboard. In his defense, he didn't have the strongest WR corps, so maybe he has a better one here. 

Taylor IMO is a QB who won't lose you games, but won't exactly win you them either.

He won't kill you with turnovers, but he's a mediocre passer. A guy good enough to get a starting job in many places, but not dynamic enough to keep the job. 

14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Grossi was effusive in his praise for Tyrod Taylor, but he said his one major concern is Tyrod doesn't have good statistics in 2 minute situations when his team is trailing.

Tyrod is not the kind of QB for 2 minute drills.  He wants guys to be wide open.  He doesn't like to try and throw guys open.  That's why he doesn't throw that many INT's.  He doesn't like taking chances.  

Joe Thomas said it a couple of years ago.  You cannot RUN yourself down the field in the 2 minute drill.  You NEED that QB that can bring you down the field for the win.  This is why Buffalo went in another direction....and it's why we drafted Mayfield.   Tyrod is better than anything we had last year....but he's a placeholder for what everyone hopes is our REAL QB.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Tyrod is not the kind of QB for 2 minute drills.  He wants guys to be wide open.  He doesn't like to try and throw guys open.  That's why he doesn't throw that many INT's.  He doesn't like taking chances.  

Joe Thomas said it a couple of years ago.  You cannot RUN yourself down the field in the 2 minute drill.  You NEED that QB that can bring you down the field for the win.  This is why Buffalo went in another direction....and it's why we drafted Mayfield.   Tyrod is better than anything we had last year....but he's a placeholder for what everyone hopes is our REAL QB.

Yeah, it's sort of tough to argue this point, and ultimately, you could be correct.  I mean, NFL teams simply DON'T trade their playoff QB very often, regardless if they squeaked in or not.  I guess my only counterpoint would be Tyrod hasn't historically lead teams down the field in 2 minute situations, but he also hasn't had the HORSES on offense either.  It might sound like I'm making excuses for the guy, and perhaps I am, but a QB can't do it all, right?  I think we'd all agree that QB is the most pivotal position, perhaps in all of sports, but Tyrod still needs people to throw it to, people to CATCH it, and guys to actually get open.  I'm not saying the Browns are going to have the most explosive offense in the league, nor am I saying we have the best skill players in the game, but for once you can at least MENTION who we have on offense without snickering, and that's at the very least.  We get something out of Corey Coleman and I'm not sure how you're going to stop our offense, and that's the truth.  The combination of our skill position players AND our new OC make us an interesting topic of discussion.  Do I think we'll be explosive?  No, I don't really think our offensive strategy will be BUILT that way.  But do I think we'll be in the bottom 5 of NFL offenses?  Nope.  

10 hours ago, Orion said:

GO BROWNS in 2019 

(oh have fun in 2018, win a few for the Gipper maybe 5? 6?)

On 6/29/2018 at 8:47 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I'm not saying the Browns are going to have the most explosive offense in the league, nor am I saying we have the best skill players in the game, but for once you can at least MENTION who we have on offense without snickering, and that's at the very least.  We get something out of Corey Coleman and I'm not sure how you're going to stop our offense, and that's the truth.  The combination of our skill position players AND our new OC make us an interesting topic of discussion.  Do I think we'll be explosive?  No, I don't really think our offensive strategy will be BUILT that way.  But do I think we'll be in the bottom 5 of NFL offenses?  Nope.  

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/29/browns-must-improve-passing-out-of-run-pass-options/  click on pff RPO's stats success..I get the feeling Haley has the idea of improving Tyrod's 20 reps in Rpo's & Baker thrives in them with lincoln riley. Our running backs can run it & Our OL can block for it not dropping backwards into pass pro..just wish our QB's were 2 inches taller to see it and rip it..I like we play at Philly pre-season game 3.The starters should at least see 1st half. Foles vs Baker should be fun too 

That's a fair point about the RPO's.  It won't be the CENTRAL focus of our offense, but as you indicated, it will be something we fold heavily into the mix.  RPO's are something Baker does well, and Tyrod does too.  I'm already seeing the RPO run-fake where Tyrod hits Gordon on that slant.  What's really fun is that we have Gordon who excels at that route, but also Duke and Landry who have a nasty slant, too.  To be honest, I'd LOVE to see Corey get involved and catch a few passes IN STRIDE for once.  If we could just get Corey the ball in full stride, I think we'd actually see what we've all been hoping for.  We have weapons, we know this.  We haven't HAD them in what seems like forever and a day.  Now, we need some luck for everyone to stay healthy.  I worry about the soft tissue injuries, as well as the more severe variety, while going through training camp.  Callaway needs to come back healthy and STAY that way.  He's already lost time and we need him to be on the same page.  He's raw, but very talented, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him returning punts from the get-go.  

It's been another week, and presumably another week of no "Negative Josh Gordon News".  I really think he's "got it", and I'm rooting so hard for him both as a player and a man.  My biggest fear for Gordon is a severe injury.  Obviously it doesn't make sense to worry about what you can't control, but a severe injury could send Josh into a dark place, and I don't want that for him (or anybody).  It's funny, I almost can't believe my eyes when I look at our receivers.  Not only do we have "playmakers", but we have guys that can CATCH.  Both Gordon and Landry have absurd hands, as does Duke IMO.  Oh, and don't count out Higgins either.  Kizer really screwed him last year, and with a decent QB, you might see Higgins pop a bit more.  Just a hunch.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:57 AM, mjp28 said:

GO BROWNS in 2019 

(oh have fun in 2018, win a few for the Gipper maybe 5? 6?)

5 or maybe even 6 is a fair number.  The funny thing is, I don't see it being LOWER than 5, which is almost hysterical considering we're 1-31 over two years (vomit).  The key to our entire season (IMO) is the opener.  We haven't had much luck against Pittsburgh (duh), and we've had even LESS luck in openers (double DUH), but if we somehow win THIS game, we might not be talking about 5 or 6 wins.  It could be MORE.  I know, I know....let's not get ahead of ourselves.  But that first game is everything in my eyes.  We find a way to figure this opener out, and all of the sudden, things could get a bit interesting.  Would I BET on us winning it?  HECK NO.  

But...strange things happen in week 1 of the NFL season.  Nothing would be stranger than for us to win that game, and it certainly feels like it's freaking TIME.  Win against the Steelers, probably lose on the road against the Saints (no shame there), and then come home and make a STATEMENT against the Jets.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:04 AM, The Gipper said:

For me?  Make it 10 or 12.

Oh yes that is the Gipper, remember the movie in that scene when future prez of these United States said......and I remember it so well, a real tear jerker...... "don't just win one for the Gipper damn it, win them all!"

Oh Ronnie, one of Hollywood's truly great actors. :lol:

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We find a way to figure this opener out, and all of the sudden, things could get a bit interesting.   

Win against the Steelers, probably lose on the road against the Saints (no shame there), and then come home and make a STATEMENT against the Jets.

could they draw up a weirdier start to a season? #1)Haley Beats Ben!!! would you believe with some of the rosters we have toted?>>> #2) the last time the Browns have lost in NOLA?=1990..Since 1993 the Browns are 5-1 sweeping last 4 in NOLA..splitting 2 in Cleveland.G.Williams against his old QB in Brees also..For the trifecta? Surely we get McCown & the counting Crows with Jets? Edit--Pit stop in hometown Toledo,Oh..JT Day special at sis house..Brats & german potatoes with Yinglings..Belch! and am off to Ickie-gan..Safe travels (wife in the C..ockpit) 

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes that is the Gipper, remember the movie in that scene when future prez of these United States said......and I remember it so well, a real tear jerker...... "don't just win one for the Gipper damn it, win them all!"

Oh Ronnie, one of Hollywood's truly great actors. :lol:

Uhm, no.  About average in each of his jobs.

Archived