THE BROWNS BOARD

Elf come back?

LBC mike

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder if the Browns using the old elf on their training camp stuff is a sign that in two years they go back to their traditional unis… 

That's what I''m thinking (and hoping).

Mike

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brownie Elf is the best mascot ever. 

Love to see him with a legit dogpound mascot....

The uniforms actually have some pretty cool combinations but we never really used my favorite ones. I guess we're slated to get some new designed uniforms in what 2020? 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:38 PM, Orion said:

The dawg thing was Dixon & Minnifield.      The elf is the Browns.

I love dogs....though dogs are not Browns.   But that's just me.

Although the creation was Dixon and Minifield it's become ingrained in the identity of the Browns. It would be a shame IMO to abounding it now when we finally might have some bite and bark back. 

9 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Dawg pound is a place where other teams should hate and we love to have.  Raiders have the black hole.  We should have our intimidating area back.  

A lot of people across the country and around the world have mentioned that very thing......even though the new dawg pound is somewhat a spayed and neutered version of the original,  but hey that happens, new digs, slightly new attitude. 

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

The Brownie Elf is the best mascot ever. 

Love to see him with a legit dogpound mascot....

The uniforms actually have some pretty cool combinations but we never really used my favorite ones. I guess we're slated to get some new designed uniforms in what 2020? 

I don't understand why they would need to wait to change their uniforms.  If they suck, like these do, then a team should have the right to change them any time they want.  Maybe not in the middle of a season, but any other time, I don't see the problem

On 6/28/2018 at 8:05 PM, Canton Mike said:

I agree. The Dawgs were created by Dixon & Minnifield as a nickname for the D, much like the old Orange Crush in Denver, Doomsday D in Dallas, Fearsome Foursome in LA, etc. The difference is that the Dawg Pound is a location that has been there since the mid 1980s. Younger Fans (35 & under) have basically grown up with that & the Dawg Pound is one of THEIR traditions. The Elf is traditional for us old folks. I see nothing wrong with keeping both although the Elf is the MAIN ONE!

Mike

Great post Mike!  Don't forget all our children over 40 that loved the 2 different versions of the Kardiac Kids led by Sipe and Kosar in the 80s.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't understand why they would need to wait to change their uniforms.  If they suck, like these do, then a team should have the right to change them any time they want.  Maybe not in the middle of a season, but any other time, I don't see the problem

The league makes ya wait 5 years.  

I don't see anything wrong with the Dawg Pound.  I'm all for that.  But not the Dawg as a logo.    - The Raiders don't have a black hole as a logo.  Although that would be cool.  A super massive black hole feasting on stars and gas.  :)

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

The league makes ya wait 5 years.  

I don't see anything wrong with the Dawg Pound.  I'm all for that.  But not the Dawg as a logo.    - The Raiders don't have a black hole as a logo.  Although that would be cool.  A super massive black hole feasting on stars and gas.  :)

That is one dumbass rule...to have to wait 5 years before changing uniforms that suck swamp water.

The designers of those uniforms would have be AUFed  big time on Project Runway.

mooning-over-you-photo-u1?w=650&q=50&fm=

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Kind of like the Browns uniforms.

Same designer no doubt.

So, since Haslam took over the Browns he's managed to take the team to multiple worst records in team history, mess with and screw up the uniforms.  Not for nothin', but a partially trained monkey could've done that.  I mean, somebody looked at that jersey...with the horizontal stripes under the shoulders and said, "Yup, that looks good.  Send it to production."  -  How long do ya think it would take to get out of the stadium parking lots if he was in charge of parking?

...and it's not lookin' like he's gonna be sent to jail for ripping off fuel customers either...so we're stuck with him.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:27 PM, The Gipper said:

That is one dumbass rule...to have to wait 5 years before changing uniforms that suck swamp water.

Wanna bet it has something to do with the exclusive contract Nike has for making (and probably having input) on NFL uniforms?  You want to talk assorted shades of hideous, look no farther than Oregon's assorted concoctions. Brought to you by Phil Knight, Oregon alum and owner of Nike.  (They get 'em for free), and Phil has donated million$ to Oregon's athletic departments. 

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

look no farther than Oregon's 'INFINITE' assorted concoctions

...amended... (...fixed spelling....and I spelled ammended with two m's...but the checker spotted it.  I'm a terrible speller)

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...amended...

Come on, if you're into Astronomy- as I am- you should know how to spell infinite. Mars is getting mighty close to it's closest approach since 2003 BTW. 

And it's only 17,000 or so possibilities for the quackers.  :)  

On 6/30/2018 at 12:32 PM, Orion said:

The picture on the left looks like she's got her head up an butt.

She might be a pretty girl but they did her no favors with a fortune cookie on her head. Ah high fashion, what a joke.

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Mars is getting mighty close to it's closest approach since 2003 BTW

Thanks!

...there IS however, a large dust storm going on there right now.  It might go on to engulf the entire planet thus hindering observation.  Stick with Saturn which is at a close encounter with us and is incredibly beautiful.

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Wanna bet it has something to do with the exclusive contract Nike has for making (and probably having input) on NFL uniforms?  You want to talk assorted shades of hideous, look no farther than Oregon's assorted concoctions. Brought to you by Phil Knight, Oregon alum and owner of Nike.  (They get 'em for free), and Phil has donated million$ to Oregon's athletic departments. 

I don't know why Nike would care.   It would just mean that they would get more business if a team wanted to change earlier.

Personally, not a big fan of the elf. I don't really understand the connection (yes, I know the back story) but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. However, I know there are quite a few people whom still really like it. I would not be opposed to keeping it on media guides, promotional material, etc. just definitely not on the uniforms. Also, i feel like the Dawg Pound is more of a connection to the fan base as opposed to the team. I"m a part of the 80s/90s generation so to me it has much more significance. I can be swayed with the argument to make it part of the culture and make it the "official mascot or logo" of the browns. However, they have to find a way to make it unique and cool. Most of the stuff they have shown so far sucks. Traditional is good but if they are going to reboot the uniforms, they better have a wide variety of fans polled. Not sure if they went "totally classic" it's going to do much better than the new ones that are already being scrapped. Whether people want to admit it or not, they do have to sell to the younger generations especially in jersey sales.

The interesting thing about the elf is that he was not an invention of the Cleveland Browns.

The MLB St. Louis Browns (who became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954) had a very similar elf logo prior to our Browns. 

this could help?  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/02/nfl-to-allow-teams-to-wear-alternates-three-times/  I believe our color rush jersey is Orange?(that should heal blindness) now if we only knew our Alternate jersey? And our Throwback jersey(maybe like 70's throwback?)

13 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

not a big fan of the elf. I don't really understand the connection (yes, I know the back story)

hmm.......kinda like knowing there's dark matter in the universe but not understanding how it doesn't interact with regular matter.  -  Well, I guess they're not alike...since one of these concepts is really easy to understand.....and one of them is really hard.

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

this could help?  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/02/nfl-to-allow-teams-to-wear-alternates-three-times/  I believe our color rush jersey is Orange?(that should heal blindness) now if we only knew our Alternate jersey? And our Throwback jersey(maybe like 70's throwback?)

Browns color rush jerseys are brown, with orange stripes and numbers. No white at all on jersey. 

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

.........The old rules allowed throwbacks twice and color rush once, and in some places that was two or three too many. The league has ditched the requirement that teams wear them for Thursday night games, and teams may now wear the alternate uniform(s) of their choice up to three times, total.

But it’s also a marketing opportunity for teams which actually like the monochromatic look, or have alternates that people actually like (like the Rams).......

Ah yes good ol' American capitalism at work.

Is this a great country or what!  :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Have ya seen the attendance numbers from the Yanks at Indians weekend series? woof! Hate to see the black & gack butts in our building week 1  https://nflspinzone.com/2018/07/13/cleveland-browns-greatest-fans-in-world/  beating the steelqueens week 1 can't hurt

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Have ya seen the attendance numbers from the Yanks at Indians weekend series? woof! Hate to see the black & gack butts in our building week 1  https://nflspinzone.com/2018/07/13/cleveland-browns-greatest-fans-in-world/  beating the steelqueens week 1 can't hurt

I’m an isolated Browns fan in Omaha, so maybe that’s why I haven’t noticed it; but Browns “fans” actually switch to the Steelers?!

I’m not sure why, but there is a Sheet ton of Steelers fans in Omaha; every time I see someone with a Steelers license plate frame, I’m doing well to just honk and flip them off.

I really want to shoot out their tires lol.

17 hours ago, broganreynik said:

I’m an isolated Browns fan in Omaha, so maybe that’s why I haven’t noticed it; but Browns “fans” actually switch to the Steelers?!

I’m not sure why, but there is a Sheet ton of Steelers fans in Omaha; every time I see someone with a Steelers license plate frame, I’m doing well to just honk and flip them off.

I really want to shoot out their tires lol.

Just FRAK Arseholes.   

Archived