THE BROWNS BOARD

Pluto on left tackle

Westside Steve

good read WSS..maybe it's the coffee  ? but I think am just old school? If ya want a LT? draft one & keep his arss there..Cam Turding never learned a single position but turnstyle as a draftable multipal position guy. Corbett my hope is, if ya draft him at #33 he's going in as your LT? right? Shon Coleman? the swing to RT was not great in stat book so lets go back & try him at his normal position at LT? Stop the carousel ride and drop me off at the saloon..I've watched Desmond Harrison ragdoll dudes in the minor leagues of West Georgia. I think if Harrison ever lines up across from Will Hernandez now with the Giants the gloves would drop at 1st whistle..Am off to check out why Harrison only made it to back-up status at LT at Texas? this better be good..     

23 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

good read WSS..maybe it's the coffee  ? but I think am just old school? If ya want a LT? draft one & keep his arss there..Cam Turding never learned a single position but turnstyle as a draftable multipal position guy. Corbett my hope is, if ya draft him at #33 he's going in as your LT? right? Shon Coleman? the swing to RT was not great in stat book so lets go back & try him at his normal position at LT? Stop the carousel ride and drop me off at the saloon..I've watched Desmond Harrison ragdoll dudes in the minor leagues of West Georgia. I think if Harrison ever lines up across from Will Hernandez now with the Giants the gloves would drop at 1st whistle..Am off to check out why Harrison only made it to back-up status at LT at Texas? this better be good..     

So the world according to Ghoolie doesn't put you at ease?  He's been informing us since 2007 that all we gotta do to upgrade Joe Thomas is go to a McDonalds Drive Thru and find the 1st obese 22 year old kid snacking between snacks and we're all set.  Any kid that weighs in at "1 at a time please" is the answer to all our prayers.

FWIW, as much as I understand your concern - I think we covered a lot of holes on this roster in 1 off season.  We can drive ourselves nuckin futs with our tradition of who we didn't draft.  We do have some guys that had some success as LTs in college on our roster from Bitonio to Drango to Coleman (2nd Team all SEC on the blind side) to Corbett. That said, we know it's more about what yo do moving forward than what you put in the rear view mirror.  If Harrison has the athleticism to be better in a pro style offense than a college spread - let's let him define what he's capable of.  His biggest hurdle is a lack of experience as his position coach Bob Wylie alluded to in his recent interview.

24 minutes ago, Flugel said:

So the world according to Ghoolie doesn't put you at ease?  He's been informing us since 2007 that all we gotta do to upgrade Joe Thomas is go to a McDonalds Drive Thru and find the 1st obese 22 year old kid snacking between snacks and we're all set.  Any kid that weighs in at "1 at a time please" is the answer to all our prayers.                                                                                    His biggest hurdle is a lack of experience as his position coach Bob Wylie alluded to in his recent interview.

Lmao! Ok ya got me clearing laughter tears here 😂.Come to find out, Desmond Harrison sat behind Donald Hawkins at Texas in 2013, who went undrafted in 2014. Small world.. Philly took Hawkins as a UDFA in 14, cut him to become a Brown next..Homo-town of Don Hawkins? from Memphis, Tennessee..my day is complete! 😄  

9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Cleveland Browns wisely piling up options at left tackle -- Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/06/cleveland_browns_wisely_piling.html

Shared from my Google feed

Thanks for sharing that Steve!    I think some of that from Pluto came from this interview with Offensive Line Coach Bob Wylie.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Bob_Wylie_on_Joe_Thomas_When_he_says_something_I_make_sure_the_whole_group_hears_it/48fb7dc0-4e08-4ab6-9f77-71d14173f5a7

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

So the world according to Ghoolie doesn't put you at ease?  He's been informing us since 2007 that all we gotta do to upgrade Joe Thomas is go to a McDonalds Drive Thru and find the 1st obese 22 year old kid snacking between snacks and we're all set.  Any kid that weighs in at "1 at a time please" is the answer to all our prayers.

When my wife and I would go to the local HS games the band would play at halftime and I'd tell her they needed to take about 5 of those tuba players and put 'em in front of the RB's if they wanted to win any games. Those kids were far bigger than any of our puny OL players at that time.🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

I do like to read Pluto's stuff and look for the crux of his weekly articles.

I was among a small group of media people talking to offensive line coach Bob Wylie last week. He is one of the few offensive assistants to survive the post-season purge by head coach Hue Jackson.

Listening to Wylie, it's clear he isn't sold on any of the candidates. Neither is the front office. You can tell as they added another name to the list by signing Greg Robinson.......

........"Coleman is leading the charge (at left tackle)," said Wylie. "But we have a lot of bodies.".......

........8. The best case for the Browns would be Corbett or Coleman growing into the job. But it's way too soon to know. As Wylie said several times: "We haven't put the pads on yet." That's when the real blocking and tackling begins in summer training camp......

44 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

How to you guys feel about this crazy nutty coach?  I am not sold on him

Wiley?   The magician?  ...........or Hue?

9 hours ago, LBC mike said:

How to you guys feel about this crazy nutty coach?  I am not sold on him

It's hard to tell just yet Mike but he's the only offensive coach we retained. Interestingly enough his first gig as an offensive line coach in the NFL was with the Cleveland Browns from 1980-82 (38 years of experience coaching offensive lines exclusively).   It could just be a coincidence, but 1980 was the year Brian Sipe was the League MVP from his heroics leading the Kardiac Kids to multiple comeback victories (and throwing for over 4000 yards when that was unheard of especially from a QB that was almost 6'1").  It seems hard to imagine that taking place without a good offensive line. 

He may sound like he has some screws loose but at least we didn't hire this Bob Wiley...  Why do I get the feeling Taco can't wait to tell us we're going to wish we did?

12 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I am not sold on him

Not sold on what? Wylie's teaching tech's days ended 20 years ago. Starting from when Bob coached from pop warner on up the ranks. Bob's earned his stripes and John Dorsey played OL. I think Dorsey knows what he has in Wylie? These are grown butt men that show up at Nfl camps. Gms draft them on a graded scale & Bob only finds the right formations/schemes to have success with what's given. Bobs real work starts with what the defense is showing at pre-snap. Only left guessing at what will actually happen after the ball is snapped. This is where the Walrus Magician Wylie has been fairly successful. Wylie excels in reading game tape to what happens next on the defense. Bob can't be blamed for the talent given. Finding the guy that misses his assignment & not executing his assignment is Bob's job. Sometimes in a game against someone else's "will" ya just get beat..Coaching against it ain't easy. it's a great game the deeper ya look    

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Not sold on what? Wylie's teaching tech's days ended 20 years ago. Starting from when Bob coached from pop warner on up the ranks. Bob's earned his stripes and John Dorsey played OL. I think Dorsey knows what he has in Wylie? These are grown butt men that show up at Nfl camps. Gms draft them on a graded scale & Bob only finds the right formations/schemes to have success with what's given. Bobs real work starts with what the defense is showing at pre-snap. Only left guessing at what will actually happen after the ball is snapped. This is where the Walrus Magician Wylie has been fairly successful. Wylie excels in reading game tape to what happens next on the defense. Bob can't be blamed for the talent given. Finding the guy that misses his assignment & not executing his assignment is Bob's job. Sometimes in a game against someone else's "will" ya just get beat..Coaching against it ain't easy. it's a great game the deeper ya look    

All good.... But Dorsey was a LB, No?

Zombo

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Those kids were far bigger than any of our puny OL players at that time.🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

Greg Robinson should play 1 heck of a tuba 📯..Can ya play LT at 332 pounds? Not from what G.Robinson gametape shows.Lions vs Giants Robinson was awful in pass pro but Wylie & Haley have got to be thinking Power Road Grader Running game.Robinson excels in it. From 9-13-2015 "the average G,T,C in the nfl is 6'5"-312lbs. (Due to hybrid speed edge rushers now in league maybe lower weight at tackle?) Of 159 players who have started at least 4 games as a OLman since the start of the 2014 season, only 23 weigh less than 300lbs.(Desmond Harrison 292, Hubbard 286) & 39 weigh at least 320 lbs." All fit here but G.Robinson at 332 pounds..At this size the tape shows Robinson bending his waist cause he can't move his feet quick enough in pass pro. But, In the run game, he's a balanced knee bender that can still roll his hips quick for a big man. Odd on tape but totally fixable imo. Robinson has to lose weight! Dorsey should have put a camp weight limit number on it & paid Greg a bonus$ say come in under 325bs.?  

52 minutes ago, Zombo said:

All good.... But Dorsey was a LB, No?

Zombo

Yes, but my typing teacher(who was smokin fine) said to keep my fingers on the home keys so they need to move the L & O away from each other on the keyboard🧐 1st drink of the day..wait,it'll get better

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Yes, but my typing teacher(who was smokin fine) said to keep my fingers on the home keys so they need to move the L & O away from each other on the keyboard🧐 1st drink of the day..wait,it'll get better

Mine told me to keep my fingers on the F and the K keys. 😘

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Mine told me to keep my fingers on the F and the K keys. 😘

asdf jkl;

My last course in high school, about all I took from it......unfortunately, had to type like crazy in college! 

Archived