THE BROWNS BOARD

Athlon 2018 OL player rankings

gumby73

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensive-linemen-rankings  By far a concern going into 2018 Training Camp. Browns maybe own one of the best starting Guard duo in the NFL? After that, it's all about "not being that guy" that lets the next play break down. Browns OL was pre-ranked last season at #2 by Athlon. Finished #14. That OL ranking fell apart, self inflicted and when Kizer held the ball to long. To the tone of 191 QB pressures ranking only better than Texans,Seahawks,Zona,Lions and Denver. Pass Block Efficiency of 77.9%..Run Blocking seemed Not* to be the issue if only Hue believed in that part of the game.The RB's were not touched before contact on average till 1.81 yards down the field.8th best in the NFL. Seen early OL rankings for 2018, projecting Browns anywhere from #12 to #20. Protecting Tyrod Taylor this season, puts this team in the best winning game situations. Your just never sure this time of year of the coming injuries & the next man up to do the job on the OL? But we have a large scrap pile of OLmen to sort through..    

I like Tretter, and it seems everyone else likes him well enough because there isn’t any press out there about our dire need to replace center. Not the stoutest but uber athletic and good instincts. I think we all saw when Mack went down how much it sucked to be iffy at center. I got no worries there.

The bookends are my only concern at present, and also seems to be the focal point of the press. Who will replace Joe?!? Hubbard is new to us, but all indications are he earned his stripes with Pittsburg. Coleman is moving down the other end, but he played there all his life until he went pro.

Good topic for discussion, but not sure how much we can discern until the pads go on. 

I do like that the core 3 in Tretter, Bitonio and Zeitler have a year playing together. That’s a foundation to me. Simply having a foundation to build upon seems like a herculean accomplishment for my team. Godspeed ahead!

7 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Good topic for discussion, but not sure how much we can discern until the pads go on. 

I do like that the core 3 in Tretter, Bitonio and Zeitler have a year playing together. That’s a foundation to me. Simply having a foundation to build upon seems like a herculean accomplishment for my team. Godspeed ahead!

Well said.  I'm not as high on Tretter as you but his backup played well for us before getting hurt.  I'm quite concerned about our 'bookends'.  I'm anxious to see.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Well said.  I'm not as high on Tretter as you but his backup played well for us before getting hurt.  I'm quite concerned about our 'bookends'.  I'm anxious to see.

I agree. Strong in the middle, questionable on the edges. 

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Left side of the OL appears to be strong. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

When people say the Browns dont have talents its a lie.

Great chart that tells the story. Thanks for posting it.That left side was strong.Now disappeared, with the plan of moving the right side numbers now to the Left. Just sounds plum crazy till live bullets start to fly. Hubbard from its'berg, should better those right side numbers. But it would not shock me if Hubbard gets a shot at LT spot? Ourlads put Greg Robinson moving to RT? Corbett also spent time at RT in OTA's.  

13 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I like Tretter, Not the stoutest but uber athletic and good instincts.I got no worries there. 

I do like that the core 3 in Tretter, Bitonio and Zeitler have a year playing together. 

Good call on Tretter https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency  Tyrod at Bills had #2 help from his OL last season. Tyrod alone should improve these numbers just by getting the ball out QB's hands. With some actual weapons!

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Great chart that tells the story. Thanks for posting it.That left side was strong.Now disappeared, with the plan of moving the right side numbers now to the Left. Just sounds plum crazy till live bullets start to fly. Hubbard from its'berg, should better those right side numbers. But it would not shock me if Hubbard gets a shot at LT spot? Ourlads put Greg Robinson moving to RT? Corbett also spent time at RT in OTA's.  

Athlon is a great mag.

QB killed this club last season. I think Hue kept on rolling Kizer out there to prove that he made the right decision. Kept putting the ball in his hands. With a RB like Bell, Pitt had to run the ball alot last year. Haley will take advantage of the Browns OL and run too I would imagine.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:16 AM, boo fagley said:

QB killed this club last season. I think Hue kept on rolling Kizer out there to prove that he made the right decision. Kept putting the ball in his hands. 

Or were they' speed dating to find the kids success level into the next draft? I just can't put the puzzle pieces together on Huejax. JT & others have said Hue can coach this team to wins. 1 in 2 years. In the way Hue has handled the QB position, Hue needs to win with Tyrod. period.. I honestly have seen enough of the tug of war of rookie QB's from Kessler/Hogan & Kizer that Mayfield needs to follow every word from Todd Haley.Hue was no better with vets in McCown or RG3 at whispering. So Tyrod may want to follow Haley word also. Flacco maybe Hues best work. Dalton can't seem to score without Hue.Word has it buffalo, AJ McCarron softball lops get pigeon shot down by Allens barn-less bullets. While Haslem was tugging Hue here,Philly found there SB coach in a X-Brown's QB in Doug Petterson.Hue has the talent to win now. but if he fails? let's just say, I have Curbed my Enthusiasm in Hugh 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I agree. Strong in the middle, questionable on the edges. 

Just like oHIo, ever heard that one? No?

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Hi in the middle with wheels on the end!

Hi in the middle and soft and round on the edges?  Yeah that version.......

109452_full.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, boo fagley said:

Browns run OL was better than Eagles. Titans, Vikings and Bills. All 2107 post season teams. They were in the same neighborhood as Chiefs and Jags too. Not shabby company. Left side of the OL appears to be strong. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

When people say the Browns dont have talents its a lie.

'run OL' is unfortunately for the browns a much less important part of the offensive line in 2018. 

Archived