THE BROWNS BOARD

Update on Shelton

Unsympathetic

Pats decline fifth-year option on Shelton because it would be over $7m.. and the other 2015 first-round DT malcom brown whose option is the same price.

Shelton can't beat DT Lawrence Guy into the starting lineup, is currently on their second team, and is projected to stay there all season.

In hindsight, I agree with the decision to trade him for what we could get.. DT is kind of a bargain position currently because unless the player is elite, his ability can be precisely replicated with a substantially cheaper alternative - Meder vs the 7m Shelton.  Ogunjobi/Brantley still have the potential to flash some elite traits whereas Shelton is who we thought he is.

Shelton is a NT - Lawrence Guyis 309 lbs, more able to do stunts etc. He may end up on

a defense as a NT and do very well. Good luck to him.

If Danny would've hit the weight room as hard as he does meal time, he could've been special...... Yet another swing and a miss 1st rounder, but at least they got something for him. 

I think DT is a position that in this era we're inevitably going to be cycling through every 3 years or so.. because the results won't be worth the second contract unless they're one of the few elite players.  There's so many DT's who can run-stuff but only occasionally effectively rush the passer that I'm shocked the Pats gave something for him.

I agree that it's a misuse of a first-round pick..

I like our boys Coley, Ogunjobi and Brantley. More importantly, I think Gregg Williams really likes them. They are all 23-24 years old and on rookie contracts.

That's why we disposed of Shelton and didn't draft a DT.

We still have the motor-churning Jamie Meder and the heralded udfa Trenton Thompson as well.

Most athletic DL we have had in years, should be fun to see how it develops.

Zombo

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

I like our boys Coley, Ogunjobi and Brantley. More importantly, I think Gregg Williams really likes them. They are all 23-24 years old and on rookie contracts.

That's why we disposed of Shelton and didn't draft a DT.

We still have the motor-churning Jamie Meder and the heralded udfa Trenton Thompson as well.

Shelton will fit Pats 3-4 NT when called on. Meanwhile our Browns sit nice nowhere near 7M..Ogun-976K/Brantley-644K both contracts expire 2021..J.Meder-1.907M/Trevon Coley-510K both contracts expire 2019..Big contract seeking season ahead for penciled in starter T.Coley in 2018. DL Coach Clyde Simmons maybe best position coach on all browns coaching staff.  

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Shelton will fit Pats 3-4 NT when called on

Shelton is a backup on the Pats and will not start except for injury.. Pats took their own first-round DT in the same draft as Shelton - Malcom Brown - and Brown isn't relinquishing his spot

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Shelton is a backup on the Pats and will not start except for injury.. Pats took their own first-round DT in the same draft as Shelton - Malcom Brown - and Brown isn't relinquishing his spot

I see your from Mass.or Maine? I did not realize BB is going into the season without replacing Matt Patricia as DC? Rumor had it LB coach Brian Flores will call the defense with no title to do so? Hoodie has the media right where he wants them. Guessing. Ourlads surrenders by throwing up a 4-3 look. What you hearing? 

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I think Brown was 2nd fiddle and NE really wanted Shelton but he was gone. They declined Browns option too, so he is in the last year of his contract. He has been underwhelming. The Browns run defense was way better than NEs last season. If you cant stop the run youre basically screwed in the NFL. Especially through the middle where Brown plays. Gotta stuff the A gaps and force teams to run east - west to the sidelines where LBs can swoop in.

Both Shelton and Brown are on show me why you should get more money seasons. My money is on Shelton to be starting NT when NE is in the 3 - 4 unless there is a fire lit under Browns a$$.

Shelton is so good with the Patriots that he's one of 5 pats on the list to possibly be cut - right there with our favorite WR, Kenny Britt.

But he is expected to make the roster. Starting? No.  And he didn't look too great in minicamp this week either - they dog him on the radio, putting him behind someone named Vincent Valentine.

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Shelton is so good with the Patriots that he's one of 5 pats on the list to possibly be cut - right there with our favorite WR, Kenny Britt.

But he is expected to make the roster. Starting? No.  And he didn't look too great in minicamp this week either - they dog him on the radio, putting him behind someone named Vincent Valentine.

When the announced the trade it was ???? Seems like we cut bait on yet another under performing first round pick. 

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

When the announced the trade it was ???? Seems like we cut bait on yet another under performing first round pick. 

Just no room for a 3-4 NG on a 4-3 defense in need of true DT's. But weren't we still a 3-4 when we drafted him?

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

No  big loss on Danny boy.  He is soft.  Looks more like a cook at the Waffle House then he does a football player.

There was a big Hawaiian...or Samoan...an American, who became the world champion at Sumo Wrestling.   That seems more Shelton's game.

Akebono...that's it.

Akebono-1.jpg

Shelton could do the same.

c73e01a65074b5f83b00c21c18cf1189--polyne

On 6/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Fake news.

Who is this snowflake in the video? Talks like he in camp everyday and has gems like "Well, if Shelton does not play well he could be cut" and " The Browns traded him so he must not be any good"  Doofus.

The Browns moved Shelton because Williams runs a 4 - 3 and Shelton is a true 3 - 4 NT. He was not a good fit and is likely slow with not much of a pass rush. Not picking up his option is customary in the NFL for players who need to prove their worth to the team. If Shelton blows it up the first 8 games or so, NE will start talking new contract. Shelton is just learning the playbook and applying it to action. If youre using those idiots on sports radio as evidence he will be cut good luck.

Archived