THE BROWNS BOARD

Latest news and headlines

Kvoethe

BrownsZone with Scott Petrak

NOTES

Notes: Coordinator Todd Haley makes sure WR Corey Coleman knows this is a ‘make-or-break’ year

BEREA — Receiver Corey Coleman knows exactly where he stands after two disappointing seasons to start his career.

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley left no room for confusion.

“He understands this is a big, big year in his career,” Haley said Thursday at the close of minicamp. “Year 3 is usually the make-or-break year of what kind of player you are going to be. I have made that clear to him. He understands it, and he is working hard accordingly to try to be the best that he can be.”

Coleman, the No. 15 pick in 2016, caught 33 passes for 413 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games as a rookie. He caught 23 passes for 305 yards and two touchdowns in nine games last year. He missed time both years with a pair of broken hands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman was drafted by former head of football operations Sashi Brown to be a No. 1 receiver. He’s expected to be No. 3 this year behind Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry — although he could be pushed for playing time by rookie Antonio Callaway — and new general manager John Dorsey has no allegiance to him.

When Coleman was able to stay on the field his first two years, he was inconsistent. Coach Hue Jackson has also challenged him to make the necessary leap this season.

New receivers coach Adam Henry is trying to get the most out of Coleman.

“He’s just got to keep working at it and that’s the biggest thing that he does,” Henry said. “He comes in early, he works hard, he’s taking notes. He’s doing the little things, learning the route techniques, things of that nature, just doing the things that he does well and expound on that and tweaking some things. But mentally just being in there.

“He’s champing at the bit. He wants more, so it’s just progression each and every day.

NEWS

Tyrod Taylor entrenched as starter as praise continues to pile up

BEREA — The Baker Mayfield fans expecting the No. 1 pick and Heisman Trophy winner to make a run at the starting job once training camp begins shouldn’t get their hopes up.

“That is yet to be determined,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said Thursday when asked if a preseason push was possible. “He has a long way to go.

“I would say it is clear that Tyrod is the leader of this team. That is a big component of that position also.”

Haley was next in a long line of coaches and teammates to gush over Tyrod Taylor, who was acquired in a March trade and immediately installed as the starter. Coach Hue Jackson said he’s earned it since with his performance on the field and off it, and Haley agreed completely.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I thought that Tyrod has done a tremendous, tremendous job of establishing himself as the leader of this offense,” he said. “His car is there every morning in his spot when I get here in the morning, and it is there when I am leaving. That is what you are looking for in the leader of the offense.

“He has done a great job with understanding the terminology, the concepts and all of the different things. We threw a lot at him. Through hard work — he is more of a show what to do more than by talking — I have really been impressed and encouraged by him.”When Haley was done talking, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese took the baton and piled on the praise.

“I’m so excited to have him. I just can’t tell you how excited I am to have him,” he said of Taylor. “The standard that he sets and the consistency every day, from the time he’s in until the time he’s out, I have not seen a guy keep those hours in the springtime.

“It just brings some comfort level. You know you can trust him.”

Taylor, 28, is widely viewed as a placeholder for Mayfield and not a franchise quarterback, despite a 22-21 record in Buffalo. Zampese sees much more.

“Tyrod’s just hitting his stride. He’s just coming into his own and this is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said. “We haven’t seen the best from him.”

In three years starting for the Bills, he completed 62.6 percent with 51 touchdowns, 16 interceptions and a 92.5 rating. All solid numbers.

“I’m a kid in a candy store,” Zampese said. “There’s no limitations with him. He can throw it down the field, he can run the zone read stuff, he can run a conventional offense. Anything you want him to do, he can do those things.”

Taylor’s leadership covers the whole team but starts in the quarterback room with Mayfield and 34-year-old Drew Stanton.

“You have guys who are not real interested in helping other guys through the years, and you have guys who are interested in helping. He is interested in this team being as good as it possibly can be,” Haley said of Taylor. “He obviously wants to be the quarterback, and he is working his butt off to do that from an on-the-field standpoint. But off of the field, he is a great character really. This guy is a unique teammate, and one that I am very excited about.”

Haley has coached Hall of Famer Kurt Warner in Arizona and likely future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. Some eyebrows might shoot toward the sky after this comment.

“Probably in my career this is one of the best if not the best quarterback rooms in general that I have had,” Haley said. “I think that it is an intelligent, intelligent group with ability to throw the football and make plays with their legs, some of them.”

While Mayfield’s march to the starting role might not be moving as fast as some would like, including himself, the coaches are happy with his development.

“He has made very good progress, but any time that you are a young player coming into this league, especially a quarterback, it is going to take time,” Haley said. “You have a lot of different things that you are dealing with at that position. I am happy that we have training camp because young quarterbacks need all of the time they can get.”

Mayfield said Wednesday he’s taking “baby steps” as he makes the many adjustments to life as an NFL quarterback. He said the key is gaining as much knowledge — of the playbook, protections, defenses — as fast as he can.

“He’s got plenty of mental capacity,” Zampese said. “The key is, can you digest the words and process it fast enough while guys are running at you to get the ball to the right guy, and it’s just a process of doing it over and over again. We’re very, very happy with where he’s at mentally and it just takes time to get through all of that and see enough reps.”

He said Mayfield won’t rest until he’s improved by leaps and bounds.

“The best part about Baker is he’s hungry,” Zampese said. “He’s not satisfied with where he’s at. There’s always another level for him. He’s trying to find it each day

........ “Year 3 is usually the make-or-break year of what kind of player you are going to be. I have made that clear to him. He understands it, and he is working hard accordingly to try to be the best that he can be.”........

Ahhhhh, nothing like some friendly competition to bring out the best in everyone.  ;)

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

BEREA — Receiver Corey Coleman knows exactly where he stands after two disappointing seasons to start his career.

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley left no room for confusion.

Good.  That guy lost us the game against Pittsburgh by being wide open, standing all alone, on 4th down, and dropping the ball.  I've got no sympathy for him.

Good to hear how happy Todd is with the QB room (he shoulda' been here LAST year....he'd have had a conniption).  Tyrod is a man of few words.  But that's ok if your work ethic and play on the field (and off) show that you're a professional.  I've got no problem with him keeping Mayfield on the bench all year.  We want good, solid QB play....that's all....who's doing the playing is 'almost' irrelevant.  

CONNECT WITH US

NEWS

Offensive lineman Donald Stephenson gets two-game suspension for Offensive lineman Donald Stephenson was absent from organized team activities. He was absent from mandatory minicamp earlier this week.

He’ll be absent for the first two games of the regular season after being suspended by the NFL for two games without pay for violating the league’s policy for substances of abuse, the league announced Friday afternoon.

Stephenson, 29, will be eligible to return to the Browns’ roster Monday, Sept. 17 and play in Week 3 against the New York Jets on Thursday night at home.

Stephenson is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Browns can cut Stephenson but haven’t yet made that decision.

He signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract as a free agent in March. He was brought in to add depth to the line and was considered an option to start at left tackle.

Stephenson is a six-year veteran. He spent four years with Kansas City after being drafted in the third round and the last two in Denver

It all sounds great for the start of an *actual* rebuiling process. But gonna wait until game one of the regular season to see how it turns out in a real game. Here's to the good news continuing so that there's another competitive team in the division instead of the butt of jokes and loser parades. Don't blame anyone though who is pumped and ready to go.

5 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

violating the league’s policy for substances of abuse

Gee....I wonder what substances he abused.

Hopefully it wasn't that deplorable marijuana.  If so, he should be flogged.  Oh, almost forgot...it'll be legal for recreational use here in Massachusetts in a couple of weeks. 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:53 PM, mjp28 said:

........ “Year 3 is usually the make-or-break year of what kind of player you are going to be. I have made that clear to him. He understands it, and he is working hard accordingly to try to be the best that he can be.”........

Ahhhhh, nothing like some friendly competition to bring out the best in everyone.  ;)

Corey was drafted in the worst possible situation for a WR. The back to back hand fractures almost seem impossible, in fact, I can hardly remember ANY WR missing time for a fractured hand, let alone twice in a row. Regardless, Corey still hasn't done himself any favors, and everyone knows it's officially go time. Like I've said in other posts, Corey could be the spark our offense needs. If he develops into a 1st round talent, we'll have the best WRs in the world. Now that Corey will be facing the 3rd corner, I he'll be set up for big time success. 

Notes from the Browns’ defensive assistants after minicamp

blake_williams.0.png

On the final day of Cleveland Browns minicamp last Thursday, the team’s assistant coaches spoke individually with the media. This article will look at some notes from the defensive assistants.

Defense

Defensive line - Clyde Simmons

• Simmons doesn’t think people give Emmanuel Ogbah enough credit for how much of a complete player he is, and he was just hitting his stride when he broke his foot last year. He’s excited about the pairing of Ogbah and Myles Garrett this year, and he says the two of them have a great relationship.
  • He’s currently dealing with an injury, but with rookie Chad Thomas, Simmons used the words “potential” and “growing” and the phrase “learning the game.” He thinks his game will step up over time.

Linebackers - Blake Williams

The other day, we heard Gregg Williams saying how he once wanted to draft Mychal Kendricks. Blake wanted him badly, and now he’s very excited to have him in Cleveland. Why?

“I spent a ton of time with him when he was coming out through that process. Have always kind of kept up with him a little bit. Followed his career, watched his career. Very excited about that. I think that our linebackers, especially our veteran linebackers in the room, are excited about what he could potentially bring to not just the room but the defense. Culturally, kind of like Jamie (Collins Sr.) a couple of years ago, a guy who had just gotten off of a Super Bowlchampionship, has won in this league, has played in multiple other systems under multiple different people and has had success in this league, being able to bring how to do that to a relatively young roster that has not maybe done that at this level.”

• What position will Kendricks play? “Sort of the WILL,” said Blake. That will be his home position, playing in the group that consists of Christian Kirksey and Jamie Collins. I get the impression that Joe Schobert would still be the everydown middle linebacker.

Defensive backs - DeWayne Walker

• Asked about Ward getting some first team reps lately, it sounds like he’ll be a Day 1 starter because they have confidence in him as a press corner, but wanted to expose him to as much off coverage plays as possible to get him savvy with that too.
  • How good is it that the cornerbacks compete against such a good group of receivers?

“It is awesome. I try to make sure that their targets are talked about in terms of how many wins and how many losses we are getting with our receivers. Being able to compete against a pretty good receiver group is going to help us.”

Defensive backs - Jerod Kruse

• Kruse works with the safeties, so he was asked right away about Jabrill Peppers role this year. Peppers is a “team guy” and did what they asked of him last year, but he’s been closer to the ball a lot more during the offseason programs this year. They know that is where he’s been most comfortable throughout his career. He believes Peppers can use the knowledge he gained from last year to have an idea what the free safety is doing when he’s in the box.
  • Asked about Damarious Randall’s transition to safety, Kruse stressed that he was a safety his whole life prior to Green Bay, and they feel he is more comfortable at safety.

“Our front office guys did a great job in seeing that dynamic and getting him here and giving us a chance to work with him. He is a highly confident guy. I think that going out there and having played corner and in this league at a high level, he understands more things about route splits and spacing and what offenses are doing to try to attack you from a wide receiver standpoint and a coverage standpoint. I think that just blends to his ability to be even better at the free safety position. As we all know, he can run. He can cover space. He is smooth as an athlete. He has good instincts. I think one year in junior college, if I remember correctly, he had 10 interceptions. He has high ball production in his past playing at that positon. I think as we go forward here, and he continues to get comfortable again at that position, those things are open to find.

What position will Kendricks play? “Sort of the WILL,” said Blake. That will be his home position, playing in the group that consists of Christian Kirksey and Jamie Collins. I get the impression that Joe Schobert would still be the everydown middle linebacker.

Alrighty, then, I'll move Schobert back to starter on my depth chart.

WLB will be Kirksey/Hendricks and SS will be Kindred/Peppers following the coaches comments.

Every other position seems to have a nominal starter, including Coleman at LT for now, the DTs could always jockey around based on Brantley's development, but right now I see the starters as Coley and Ogunjobi.

Zombo

Archived