Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Clevfan4life

anyone own a 10mm semi auto?

Recommended Posts

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Exactly what I was taught on spray vs weapon.  However, in grizzly country I would have a 45-70 marlin.  You ever seen one in the wild you would understand why.  They are big mofo's.  

I would consider a LAW.🚀💥😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy refers to the research study.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that said I did find this article on a guy who brought down an Alaskan Brown bear in 2016 with a 9mm using 147 gr ammo with similar characteristics to the one I will carry as a backup to bear spray. The recent development in deep penetration outdoor rounds for the 9 mm have come a long way. I've been thinking that one of those little hand held air horns might scare them off too. They are very loud.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why do those guides not take dogs with them that could give them pre warning one of those big cnts is close? the bear got within yds of them before they knew it was there from what it sounds like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, compact. I am concerned about the triggers - Logic is correct - the stock trigger would cause the gun to go off if dropped at a certain exact angle - it still passed the drop tests that didn't include that exact angle.

The military trigger didn't have that problem. Logic also mentioned QC problems - that is a concern -

but I am intrigued with the p320:

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/jacksonville-arkansas-police-department-transitions-to-sig-sauer-p320/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=f6efc2c618-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-f6efc2c618-20770865#axzz5IQJycS6D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

regarding the video - a fanny pack carry? "der"

I can draw very fast from my belt strip holster. There is the "21 foot" rule, which makes carrying

without a round in the chamber a bad thing.

If in bear country, I would carry the bear spray, AND a pistol....but being stalked by a black bear unknowingly, until it

gets after you... bear spray? who knows? I don't believe bear would have helped these bow hunters...especially if there was a good breeze blowing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That one charge "up Sheet creek" sure made my argument why I won't take my single action .357 mag in bear country as a primary. You get one shot.....two if you lucky. Also when I looked at the testing date I found that the Win. Ranger 147 gr. bonded had as much penetration and nearly the same final expansion as just about all the .357 rounds. Speaks to major improvement in the 9 mm ammo for backcountry.

But another thing I found when researching for bear sprays is that you can't really trust the ads.

Here is a funny video for biking in the woods. You can tell he uses a small caliber pistol to scare the bear at the end. I bet he had a heart attack when he saw the bear had put up a roadblock for his potential meals. Smart bear. LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That video looks good, but it's really a fake.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be my life on a 9mm.  You would have to hit it between the eyes to kill it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That one charge "up Sheet creek" sure made my argument why I won't take my single action .357 mag in bear country as a primary. You get one shot.....two if you lucky. Also when I looked at the testing date I found that the Win. Ranger 147 gr. bonded had as much penetration and nearly the same final expansion as just about all the .357 rounds. Speaks to major improvement in the 9 mm ammo for backcountry.

But another thing I found when researching for bear sprays is that you can't really trust the ads.

Here is a funny video for biking in the woods. You can tell he uses a small caliber pistol to scare the bear at the end. I bet he had a heart attack when he saw the bear had put up a roadblock for his potential meals. Smart bear. LOL!

 

This was taken in Cuyahoga National park......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will carry bear spray first and foremost. But here is why you need to compare. This guy has used this a while on hikes because of the hype. But look what happens when he tests it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

This was taken in Cuyahoga National park......

LOL! So now grizzlies live S of Cleveland I see.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I will carry bear spray first and foremost. But here is why you need to compare. This guy has used this a while on hikes because of the hype. But look what happens when he tests it out.

 

there's your capitalist bear spray you ngrs. There it is. Some company that hasn't the slightest idea how to manufacture a competent delivery system is allowed to market and brand this failspray as an "effective deterrent" to a bear attack. I also wouldn't be surprised if that company sued this guy for putting this video on youtube and letting people know what a collosal fail their product is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why im surprised but still, can't believe some company put out a product that fails to deliver a concentrated spray like 6 or 7 ft away which is already the dead zone if a bear gets that close. You are literally in the bears paw strike distance at the max point of that cloud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! I bet he could bearly see his way home to his mama.🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the original M&P - compact, but a half inch shorter barrel than the M&P 2.0.

and the Shield.

I wonder about the springfield xds, haven't seen it.

Saw a very cool Honor Defense Captain America version:

28166826_1240689199397493_89993674803746

1525378792_696_33-new-concealed-carry-gu

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ccw pistol shopping hell.

Walter ppq/pps

subcompacts too small,

compacts too big.

need hybrid.

So far, original M&P compact is all I've found.

I like the shield...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ccw pistol shopping hell.

Walter ppq/pps

subcompacts too small,

compacts too big.

need hybrid.

So far, original M&P compact is all I've found.

I like the shield...

I liked that one as well. But I've owned Rugers all my life and just could not make the switch. And the one I got is very easy to conceal and extremely accurate so I'm happy. Never have had a hung round in a Ruger semi-auto pistol. I can't say that about the Kel-Tec P11 that was stolen from me. Glad it was stolen. Gave me an excuse to go shopping. That Kel-Tec made me "gunshy" about switching to any other brand ever again, so back to the Rugers.😍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ccw pistol shopping hell.

Walter ppq/pps

subcompacts too small,

compacts too big.

need hybrid.

So far, original M&P compact is all I've found.

I like the shield...

If you like the Shield, you really can’t go wrong with it. I own the 2.0 compact and like it a bunch. I swapped out to an Apex trigger but that is personal preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I liked that one as well. But I've owned Rugers all my life and just could not make the switch. And the one I got is very easy to conceal and extremely accurate so I'm happy. Never have had a hung round in a Ruger semi-auto pistol. I can't say that about the Kel-Tec P11 that was stolen from me. Glad it was stolen. Gave me an excuse to go shopping. That Kel-Tec made me "gunshy" about switching to any other brand ever again, so back to the Rugers.😍

i wish they made a 10mm american. love that gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 2.0 and others of the same size, seem like tougher to conceal with just a loose tshirt. Maybe not, but I haven't tried it yet.

QUESTION:

  With all the intentional screwing around with mag size, etc etc...on a few state and some local governments...

I'm wondering if I should keep to 10 rounds or less, since inevitably, we might go cross country, and eventually in some state or city -

they will pass a law making over ten rounds mags illegal. Kinda makes me think I don't want double stack? Plenty of time to shop around. Worked most of the day putting up fence around my big garden, and weed whacking. 92 degrees - grey sweatpants (to see any ticks better, never saw any) and long sleeve shirt - (in case I kept on to the vicious multi-flora rose thorns)... way too hot after a while.

    Almost could have gone gun shopping but it was Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

the 2.0 and others of the same size, seem like tougher to conceal with just a loose tshirt. Maybe not, but I haven't tried it yet.

QUESTION:

  With all the intentional screwing around with mag size, etc etc...on a few state and some local governments...

I'm wondering if I should keep to 10 rounds or less, since inevitably, we might go cross country, and eventually in some state or city -

they will pass a law making over ten rounds mags illegal. Kinda makes me think I don't want double stack? Plenty of time to shop around. Worked most of the day putting up fence around my big garden, and weed whacking. 92 degrees - grey sweatpants (to see any ticks better, never saw any) and long sleeve shirt - (in case I kept on to the vicious multi-flora rose thorns)... way too hot after a while.

    Almost could have gone gun shopping but it was Sunday.

I had such poor luck with that Kel-Tec double stack that I just avoided them altogether. If I can't react well enough with a 7 +1 then just shoot me. LOL!

However you can also get a 9 round single stack extended mag for the Ruger if you want a little extra hand room and 2 more rounds.

I'm looking forward to my yearly trip to Colorado coming up soon. Got all my hiking stuff together and ready to go. I have a cousin who will be there on a 10 night stay in the park with some friends and I'm invited to stay for any overnights I want or just walk the trails with them during the day. If they don't have any I may leave my bear spray with them each night since the black bears tend to forage for food at night in the park. I'll certainly tell them about securing their food on ropes up in the trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 1:02 AM, Clevfan4life said:

I may be in the market for one. Years ago there seemed to be a lot more 10mm's out there than what im seeing. Anyone know why that round may have gone out of style?

edit: must not be 1911, I hate it. 

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW, FYI.......

In the television series, Miami Vice, firearms took a key role. Episodes such as "Evan"[2] revolved around them, while the characters themselves also used several firearms during the series. Sonny Crockett (played by Don Johnson) was to have used a SIG Sauer P220,[1][3] but this was replaced by the then more modern Bren Ten.[1] The importance of the firearms in Miami Vice is demonstrated by Galco International, which provided the holster used by Don Johnson on the show, naming its holster the Miami Classic.[4]

Originally, James "Sonny" Crockett was to use a SIG Sauer P220 in .45 Auto[1] which is evident in the pilot episode.[3] He also carries a Detonics Pocket 9 as a backup, tucked in his rear waistband near the small of his back. But it was later decided that a more state-of-the-art gun was to be used by Don Johnson.[1] During the first season, he used a Bren Ten pistol carried in a Ted Blocker "Lifeline" shoulder holster rig.[4] Due to Don Johnson's dissatisfaction with the "Lifeline" rig, the Jackass Leather Company (later renamed Galco International)[4] "Original Jackass Rig"[4] shoulder holster rig was personally fitted for him by Rick Gallagher (President of Galco).[4] Finally the Galco "Miami Classic" shoulder holster was designed and used. The Bren Ten, manufactured by Dornaus & Dixon, was a stainless steel handgun notable as the first ever chambered in the powerful 10mm Auto caliber. The Bren Ten was originally manufactured as a two-tone weapon: the carbon steel slide was black oxide and frame was stainless steel. The model used in Miami Vice had a hard chromed matte finished slide so that it showed up better during night shots. The pistol used in the show was chambered in .45 ACP, as opposed to the standard 10mm Auto. After the Dornaus & Dixon company went out of business in 1986, the product placement contract went to Smith & Wesson [5][6] Starting with the third season, Sonny used a 2nd Generation series Smith & Wesson Model 645.[1] This was a full-sized 5-inch-barreled stainless steel service pistol in .45ACP. Galco Gunleather, formerly Jackass Leather Co., built a "Miami Classic" shoulder holster for the S&W 645 used. In the Galco Gunleather headquarters, there is a large display that contains the Miami Vice shoulder holster rig that Don Johnson wore, accompanied by an autographed photo of him. In late 1988 Smith & Wesson unveiled their new 3rd Generation Series of auto pistols, so for the last season Sonny's Model 645 was replaced with the new Smith & Wesson Model 4506. This pistol had 20+ design improvements including a one piece arched grip. Sonny's M 4506 can be seen in the beginning of the episode "Victim of Circumstance" when he is sitting in a cafe and looking at it.[7] Sonny also carried a .45 ACP DetonicsCombat-Master backup gun in an ankle holster on his left leg, replacing the Pocket 9 from the pilot episode. It can be seen in the bar scene shootout in the "Prodigal Son" episodes.[8] In the last series episode "Freefall" Crockett is placing what looks to be a S&W CS45 (compact alloy framed .45ACP) in his ankle holster.[9]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BREN TEN, that'll put a hole in you!

 

Screenshot_2018-06-18-10-38-48.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×