Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Unsympathetic

CB Sam Beal worth a 2019 draft pick?

Recommended Posts

Now that we start a former second-round supplemental pick, I think we can find a roster spot for a projected 2019 late first-rounder entering this year's supplemental.  I'd bid a 3rd and see what happens.

Supplemental Draft analysis - there's 2 other high-round DB's coming out in addition to Beal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Now that we start a former second-round supplemental pick, I think we can find a roster spot for a projected 2019 late first-rounder entering this year's supplemental.  I'd bid a 3rd and see what happens.

Supplemental Draft analysis - there's 2 other high-round DB's coming out in addition to Beal

 

Well this is how it works (from Wiki), so the question becomes where do we think he (or anyone we like) would fall next year since we would have to give up that round?

Wikipedia: "Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.[82] (For example, FS Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the supplemental draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick."

EDIT: Since you would give up a 3rd rounder, would that be high enough to keep from being outbid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have two thirds next year 

if they think he would be a part of the future lined up opposite ward use a 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well worth a 3rd rounder. A 2nd would be a alot with the size of our db room right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were several trades involving 2019 draft picks -- GB has 2 firsts; Baltimore, Chicago, KC, Indy, Houston all have 2 seconds.

All of those with an extra second-rounder need CB help.. wouldn't surprise me if one of them rolled the dice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cambridgeho said:

Well worth a 3rd rounder. A 2nd would be a alot with the size of our db room right now.

with gaines injury history that room may not be as crowded as you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CB Sam Beal still is & has been 2019 mocked on waltersfootball to the Colts at #36 in 2nd round for a while..Sure would throw a 3rd rounder but both Bears & Denver wanted Denzel Ward so Denver sits at #47. Pats 48 & 63. Pitts. 53. GB 56. KC still Marcus Peters-less sits at 58. All need CB..we'd need some luck throwing a 3rd rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't he have a bum knee that's going to hold him out of training camp or something? I was under the impression he would be available in the later rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, syd said:

with gaines injury history that room may not be as crowded as you think

For sure. Maybe the FO will try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Howard Wilson's patella tendon surgery today [he's out now for 2018 as well] this looks a lot more possible than it was just 24h ago.. I thought Wilson would be the 4th CB they'd keep bc he was running with the 2's.  Currie can play CB as well of course.

CB - Ward/Gaines/BBC/ [Wilson]

S - Peppers/Randall/Currie/Kindred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orion said:

When is the Supplemental Draft? 

based on history and a giants read..undetermined date in July..basic lee when Roger wants to control the sports news world 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

basic lee when Roger wants to control the sports news world 🤔

Too ambiguous.  I don't like ambiguity.  That, and I want to get my guy a playbook. (if there were a guy I wanted)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

After Howard Wilson's patella tendon surgery today [he's out now for 2018 as well] this looks a lot more possible than it was just 24h ago.. I thought Wilson would be the 4th CB they'd keep bc he was running with the 2's.  Currie can play CB as well of course.

CB - Ward/Gaines/BBC/ [Wilson]

S - Peppers/Randall/Currie/Kindred

I think you are forgetting about "Carrie" as opposed to "Currie"

Ward and Carrie are the starters, then Gaines, then Mitchell and BBC.

Simeon Thomas is a press corner just drafted in the 6th round that'll get a good look too.

Justin Currie is a special teamer who will be in the fight a fourth safety spot with Derron Smith ... Behind Peppers, Randall and Kindred

Z

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I think you are forgetting about "Carrie" as opposed to "Currie"

Ward and Carrie are the starters, then Gaines, then Mitchell and BBC.

Simeon Thomas is a press corner just drafted in the 6th round that'll get a good look too.

Justin Currie is a special teamer who will be in the fight a fourth safety spot with Derron Smith ... Behind Peppers, Randall and Kindred

Z

 

Wonder if you have to use your own  pick in the supplemental draft? Throw the 3rd we got from the Patriots out there, and see what happens with the Wilson injury. 

I wouldn't expect much out of a 6th round flyer Z. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Wonder if you have to use your own  pick in the supplemental draft? Throw the 3rd we got from the Patriots out there, and see what happens with the Wilson injury. 

I wouldn't expect much out of a 6th round flyer Z. :)

Well, he's our 6th corner.

The #4 pick overall is our starter.

Our other starter, Carrie, is under contract for four years at 8 million  per year

Our third corner, EJ Gaines, was rated one of the top 15 corners in the league last year.

Our fourth corner Terrence Mitchell, is a Dorsey Boy who we signed to a three year contract and was getting reps with the #1s.

Our 5th corner is Briean Boddy Calhoun, a good little corner that everybody on here seems to love.

Then we drafted Thomas because he can play press.

So guys want to spend next year's third for a dude that won't see the field this year behind the top 4? So we can cut Calhoun?

Don't see it.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Well, he's our 6th corner.

The #4 pick overall is our starter.

Our other starter, Carrie, is under contract for four years at 8 million  per year

Our third corner, EJ Gaines, was rated one of the top 15 corners in the league last year.

Our fourth corner Terrence Mitchell, is a Dorsey Boy who we signed to a three year contract and was getting reps with the #1s.

Our 5th corner is Briean Boddy Calhoun, a good little corner that everybody on here seems to love.

Then we drafted Thomas because he can play press.

So guys want to spend next year's third for a dude that won't see the field this year behind the top 4? So we can cut Calhoun?

Don't see it.

Zombo

Not saying we should Z. Just saying he's worth a low 3rd round pick. Sure, the defensive backfield looks a lot better "on paper" but that doesn't mean much this time of year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PFF analyzes Browns secondary - from 4/5, before the draft. 

Not sure the final role of Mitchell.  He has the honor of being the NFL's worst in yards allowed per coverage snap last season.

Positive detail about Peppers -- graded as the 25th best safety in coverage over the final 7 wks of 2017.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×