THE BROWNS BOARD

CB Sam Beal worth a 2019 draft pick?

Unsympathetic

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

but am telling ya, till the leauge puts a stamp on it,these writers have no clue how it actually works

I don't know how it actually works so there's no way that I can doubt you.  All I can say is that it 'should' not be subjective.  It should follow last April's draft order.  If it's subjective, well, that leaves the door open to palm greasing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The picks are the same as was the regular draft.  There is no secret here.

The draft itself is more like a auction.  If a team likes a player, they make a bid via fax or text to the league office.  It's not like everybody is gathered in some room. If we like Beal, we bid a selection.  Say we offer a 2nd rounder for him, we get him as long as no other team offers a 1st.  If other teams offer a 2nd, we get him because we drafted first in the regular draft.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Someone explain to me, a scenario, where a team that got zero friggin' wins last year wouldn't get first dibs..........

From what has been explained it could be a bit like the NBA draft....a lottery system.

Lets put things this way, for what its worth (which is nothing really):    the Browns have done reasonably well when taking players in the supplemental draft:

Bernie Kosar

Josh Gordon

And those players taken from the USFL:

Supplemental Draft

Misc       Passing Rushing Receiving      
Year Rnd   Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2012 2 Josh Gordon 1 WR 2017 1 1 2 20 40 0 1 0 0 0 5 88 0 179 3089 15     Utah
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
1985 1 Bernie Kosar 1 QB 1996 0 1 7 67 126 1994 3365 23301 124 87 180 265 5 3 -5 0     Miami (FL)
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
1984 1 Kevin Mack 11 RB 1993 0 2 6 46 99           1291 5123 46 197 1602 8     Clemson
1984 1 Mike Johnson 18 LB 1995 0 2 8 61 144                       13 14.5 Virginia Tech
1984 2 Gerald McNeil 44 WR 1990 0 1 0 6 76           4 61 0 29 380 2     Baylor
1984 2 Tommy Robison 50 LB 1989 0 0 0 1 12                           Texas A&M
1984 3 Doug West 71 LB   0 0 0                               UCLA
1984 3 John Bon

Actually there have only been 43 NFL supplimental draft picks total since it's inception in 1977 only 12 this century.  And yes the Artful dodger Modell and the BROWNS did alright snookering out Bernie Kosar! 

2002 Milford Brown G 6th Houston Texans Florida State He had used up his five-year competition eligibility.[18]
2003 Tony Hollings RB 2nd Houston Texans Georgia Tech He was academically ineligible for the 2003 college season.[19]
2005 Manuel Wright DT 5th Miami Dolphins USC Chose entering the draft over not playing college football while trying to regain his academic eligibility.[20]
2006 Ahmad Brooks[21] LB 3rd Cincinnati Bengals Virginia He was dismissed from his college team.[22]
2007 Paul Oliver S 4th San Diego Chargers Georgia He left college because of academic problems.[23]
2007 Jared Gaither[23] OT 5th Baltimore Ravens Maryland He was declared academically ineligible in college.[24]
2009 Jeremy Jarmon DE 3rd Washington Redskins Kentucky Suspended over failed drug test.[25]
2010 Harvey Unga[26] FB 7th Chicago Bears BYU Expelled for disciplinary reasons.[26]
2010 Josh Brent[26] NT 7th Dallas Cowboys Illinois He was "... reportedly academically ineligible for the 2010 [college] season."[27]
2011 Terrelle Pryor QB 3rd Oakland Raiders Ohio State Suspended as part of NCAA investigation into improper benefits.[28]
2012 Josh Gordon WR 2nd Cleveland Browns Baylor Dismissed for failed marijuana test.[29]
2015 Isaiah Battle OT 5th St. Louis Rams Clemson Had "family matters to attend", as well as off-field issues.[30

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The draft itself is more like a auction.  If a team likes a player, they make a bid via fax or text to the league office.  It's not like everybody is gathered in some room. If we like Beal, we bid a selection.  Say we offer a 2nd rounder for him, we get him as long as no other team offers a 1st.  If other teams offer a 2nd, we get him because we drafted first in the regular draft.

thanks. The round bidding to win was never my concern. But the draft order matters. More than likely breaking ties. Some sites adding word "lottery" got my attention, of how can we once again get screwed..the smoke & mirrors are starting to clear  https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/6/25/17502264/supplemental-draft-101  have they always used brackets before?   

Tale of the Tape on Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander's pro day::6'2" 195 lbs. Vert.35.5"/ Broad-10'4"/ bench 9@ 225 lbs./ 40 time-4.61/shuttle 4.39/3 cone-7.18..not all that great on the numbers(hand times) & also cramped up towards end of drills..Sam Beal goes tomorrow..Brandon Bryants this friday(Dui in 17)  oh and we may have some barking up the wrong tree? if you let your sources do the talking for you?  https://nflspinzone.com/2018/06/27/cleveland-browns-e-j-gaines-miffed/     

All 32 teams including John Dorsey attended Sam Beal pro day. Most his numbers went well, except for a weight loss from spring weighing 187 lbs., weighing in today at 178 lbs./ Height = 6' 7/8"/ 40 times=4.47 & 4.55/ vert.=37"/broad=10' 6"/short shuttle=4.09/3-cone=7.11.. <The same date he may get drafted? but not the time Beal was looking for. Beal played WR when arrived at W.Michigan in 2015.Beal switched to CB the following season..Maybe his draft stock slightly drops from today? Maybe the top 3rd rounder just may do it?  Comparable combine 6 ft. DB numbers? Minkah Fitzpatrick & Isaiah Oliver ran 4.46/4.50. but both go 204/201 lbs. and can tackle. Beal is not praised for his open field tackling.. being under weight won't help..

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

the top 3rd rounder just may do it?

Yes.  I really don't want to go into next year's draft without a 2nd round pick.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Yes.  I really don't want to go into next year's draft without a 2nd round pick.

Yeah, I could see us bid top of the third and if no one bids second round , we get him.

Dorsey probably feels our draft picks are mid rounders next year, while we can get him at the top of the round this year.

But I'm not spending a second on this kid.

I'm surprised T.J. Carrie isn't getting more love from Browns fans as the starter opposite Ward.

6 foot tall, starting experience, Ohio University, good speed, prime of his career ... Nice four year contract covers his peak years.

I love the E.J. Gaines signing too. Don't be surprised if they extend his one year deal during the season if they like what they see and they want to wrap up a Ward-Carrie-Gaines trio for three or four years. Or if you draft this guy, he's potentially the third corner next year and you let Gaines walk.

I think we have a real strong corner room right now, certainly no time to hit the panic button, or the reach button.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Yeah, I could see us bid top of the third and if no one bids second round , we get him.

Dorsey probably feels our draft picks are mid rounders next year, while we can get him at the top of the round this year.

But I'm not spending a second on this kid.

I'm surprised T.J. Carrie isn't getting more love from Browns fans as the starter opposite Ward.

6 foot tall, starting experience, Ohio University, good speed, prime of his career ... Nice four year contract covers his peak years.

I love the E.J. Gaines signing too. Don't be surprised if they extend his one year deal during the season if they like what they see and they want to wrap up a Ward-Carrie-Gaines trio for three or four years. Or if you draft this guy, he's potentially the third corner next year and you let Gaines walk.

I think we have a real strong corner room right now, certainly no time to hit the panic button, or the reach button.

Zombo

We have not see Carrie or Gaines play in a Browns uniform  really.  So, until they don the Brown and Orange and we see them out there, there is likely little enthusiasm for them...just mild curiosity.  However, once they do hit the field and it appears that they are doing good things, the love will come. 

At least, that is the way I feel.  Same for basically all of our FA acquisitions.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

We have not see Carrie or Gaines play in a Browns uniform  really.  So, until they don the Brown and Orange and we see them out there, there is likely little enthusiasm for them...just mild curiosity.  However, once they do hit the field and it appears that they are doing good things, the love will come. 

At least, that is the way I feel.  Same for basically all of our FA acquisitions.

I get it. But these guys are proven in the league and chose to play in Cleveland ... unlike draft picks.

Zombo

2 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I get it. But these guys are proven in the league and chose to play in Cleveland ... unlike draft picks.

Zombo

Well, you know how it is with our guys, we either love em or hate em. We got to basically hate the likes of Kenny Britt and DeShone Kizer.  Hopefully we will get to love the likes of TT, Landry, Hyde, and these DBs.

The last of the DB's drew Browns and 13 other clubs to his pro day. FS Brandon Bryant Miss.St.. Draft scout ranks Bryant the #4 of 91 at FS position. Also the fastest of the bunch.Bryant was rumored to be just as fast as John Ross clocking 4.22/40.Bryant has hit 4.24 in past...Here's B.Bryant Pro Day numbers //5'11"//200 lbs.//arms 32 7/8"//hands 9 3/8"//40 times=4.45 & 4.52//s.shuttle=4.23//3 cone=7.26 &7.52//vert=34"//broad=10'3"//  Round Range on FS B.Bryant reads from 5th to 7th round due to dui in 17. Browns known to have interest with not much behind D.Randall on depth chart

9 dayes away.. https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Gil-Brandt-pegs-Bills-Browns-as-suitors-for-Sam-Beal-119505412/   I've seen fire & I've seen rain too. And it would not surprise me at all if Belicheck don't throw the late 2nd rounder? Pats still need CB help.

Well, obviously we didn't even pony up our 3rd rounder.

HOPEFULLY, this year, we're not talking draft in October...like the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

HOPEFULLY, this year, we're not talking draft in October...like the last couple of decades.

Fixed it for all of us. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, Orion said:

Someone explain to me, a scenario, where a team that got zero friggin' wins last year wouldn't get first dibs..........

Somehow in Good-hell's weird football rule book? Browns picked 4th in supplemental draft due to lottery.. No news on if we even threw the same 3rd rounder that Giants would have won due to supp. draft order becoming...Oak.-Jets-NYG-Browns-Denver...  https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/an-eventful-supplemental-draft-ends-without-browns-making-pick   

On 7/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, Orion said:

Giants did, and because they drafted one selection before us in the 3rd round.... the ONLY way we would have snagged him is with a second-round pick, which he wasn't worth.

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Somehow in Good-hell's weird football rule book? Browns picked 4th in supplemental draft due to lottery.. No news on if we even threw the same 3rd rounder that Giants would have won due to supp. draft order becoming...Oak.-Jets-NYG-Browns-Denver...  https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/an-eventful-supplemental-draft-ends-without-browns-making-pick   

Yeah, after reading the article, saw how the Giants jumped us in the supplemental draft. Didn't know they reshuffled the order. Going on record, the Browns should have had the first pick in each round. 

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Somehow in Good-hell's weird football rule book? Browns picked 4th in supplemental draft due to lottery..

...and, of course, it makes PERFECT sense that the team that couldn't win ANY football games the previous season doesn't get to pick 1st.  - Ya know what would be better?  Is if they gave the superbowl winner the 1st pick.  There'd be all kinds of players trying to position themselves for the draft.  They could sell tickets...and beer...

On 6/26/2018 at 10:34 AM, ballpeen said:

I guess you weren't let in on the secret......

12 hours ago, Orion said:

...and, of course, it makes PERFECT sense that the team that couldn't win ANY football games the previous season doesn't get to pick 1st.  - Ya know what would be better?  Is if they gave the superbowl winner the 1st pick.  There'd be all kinds of players trying to position themselves for the draft.  They could sell tickets...and beer...

I mean, in this system that would never happen. It took me a good bit to wrap my head around it but essentially boils down to three groups

1) non-playoff teams, 6 wins or less

2) non-playoff teams, 7 wins or more

3) playoff teams

Each one of these three groups is then "put in a hat" and given a draft position based on the random selection of that group. For example, the Browns group had 11 teams that met the criteria. The Raiders as I understand with a 6-10 record actually "won" the lottery and got first pick each round. It is NOT like the NBA draft where the Browns  would have had the most names in hat, each team had one equally.  We got drawn 4th based on that system, and the the Giants were given 2nd and therefore got the guy. Hypothetically, we could have been 11th in this system very easily.

Now if you wanna argue that it was rigged somehow (a la NBA draft), well who knows. There are some pretty credible rumors we had the 3rd round grade on him so we just missed out,

Archived