Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

Best Offense since 2007

On paper ... with the potential to be the best offense we have seen since the rebirth:

QB Taylor: Solid veteran, best proven starter to start a season since ... Jeff Garcia, 2004?

QB2: Baker Mayfield: first overall pick and potential leader of the team in the waiting

RB1 Carlos Hyde: Tough inside classic Browns runner i.e. Kevin Mack

RB2 Nick Chubb: potentially best of the bunch of best RB room since ...

RB3 Duke Johnson :Classic third down back, will catch 60-70 passes, make plays and keep defenses honest.

WR1 Josh Gordon: Former All Pro is in the best shape of his life, the potential is limitless

WR2 Jarvis Landry: Best underneath receiver in the game, Pro Bowler led NFL in receptions

WR3 Corey Coleman: has a chance to reach his potential playing with the above two, Callaway gives us HR threat

TEs Nojoku: a 1st round freak and red zone threat, fellow TEs Fells and Devalve very solid

LT Coleman/Corbett: only real scary question mark ... If one of these guys steps up this year it is a huge bonus

LG Joel Bitonio: One of the best in the business

C JC Tretter: Solid Veteran

RG Kevin Zeitler: Again, one of the best in the business

RT Chris Hubbard: Todd Haley's Road Grader will get the RB stable untracked

We could get some key contributions from Jeff Janis, or Higgins or Louis too.

Lots of talent, even more potential, offense is FINALLY headed in the right direction.

If we get LT solidified and protect Taylor's cockpit, he could pick teams apart with Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Duke and NoJoke ... and then we gut them with the running game ... and don't forget Taylor is a threat with his legs, too. Actually looking forward to watching the games again ... last year it was like dragging myself to a funeral every Sunday.

Zombo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

I completely agree.  What impresses me the most is the depth we have at almost every position, including D.  Safety, and OT are the biggest question marks but even they have potential and decent depth.  JT sure picked a chitty time to retire.  I can't freaking wait for this year to roll around.

• Upvote 2

Nailed it Z-man..Miss football yet? Watch the Mean Streak in #68 LT Desmond Harrison  https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/highlights-desmond-harrison-west-georgia-browns-giants-b6b6   Todd McShay had him going in the 80's pick in draft. Todd still has him ranked #1 D2 lineman ready to put the pads on.. I want to see what Myles Garrett has got for this guy & Corbett.. 

• Upvote 1

We always look good in May & June.  Then we play someone else's #1's.  Heck, LAST year the backups crushed the starters in the Brown & Orange scrimmage.  :)

I know, it's a different year with a lot of different involved.  There's more reason for optimism this year.  But I'm still gonna wait and see before I anoint.  

What is your breakdown in the D?

On 6/8/2018 at 11:09 PM, Orion said:

We always look good in May & June.  Then we play someone else's #1's.  Heck, LAST year the backups crushed the starters in the Brown & Orange scrimmage.  :)

I know, it's a different year with a lot of different involved.  There's more reason for optimism this year.  But I'm still gonna wait and see before I anoint.  

This is true especially after going 1-31 and almost a double 0-fer still I hear people talking about the BROWNS winning 7 or more games.

.......whoa there, I'm sticking with 5 1/2 wins as my over/under and hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

This is true especially after going 1-31 and almost a double 0-fer still I hear people talking about the BROWNS winning 7 or more games.

.......whoa there, I'm sticking with 5 1/2 wins as my over/under and hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

I'll be curious what the predictions are in this year's installment of Dutch's Browns Questions... 

I think 5.5 is fair for an over/under. 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be curious what the predictions are in this year's installment of Dutch's Browns Questions... 

I think 5.5 is fair for an over/under. 

I rarely gamble but plan on putting a grand on the over 

8 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I rarely gamble but plan on putting a grand on the over 

Given the strength of schedule as well as the order of schedule, I would not be so foolish with this young of a team. Even with great athletes it takes at least a full season to all be on the same page in all aspects of the game. There are rarely overnight turnarounds from 0 to 6 wins when a team has been revamped top to bottom. Plus we still have the X factor, Baby Huey. X factors can stupidly cancel out all the best efforts of any team, no matter the talent.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2018 at 10:41 PM, LBC mike said:

What is your breakdown in the D?

It'll be a lot better. We got a lot more athletic and got the kind of players that Williams wants and needs.

I know everybody on here hates Hue, but I am SO glad we didn't go with a whole new coaching staff, because I really want to see the Greg Williams defense develop with his kind of players. We should be a middle of the road defense at worst, and a Top Third defense at best. The defensive line holds the key, IMO, If the DTs progress and Garrett and Ogbah become the wrecking crew that they can be ... watch out.

Zombo

• Upvote 2

I believe with the addition of Williams,  Haley, and Dorsey in the fo... they KNOW how to fix the major weaknesses of the Browns

on both sides of the ball. And, that is just what they did this last FA and the draft. The Browns aren't going to have those glaring weaknesses anymore - and will be a very, very different football team - and it seems they have no glaring weaknesses that will stop them from shocking the NFL. Tall order?

I imagine Joe Thomas would have played at least one more year, to start winning - but for the injury. Too bad, but he'll still be around.

Those glaring weaknesses, at wr/qb/rb depth...made the offense hopeless, and the defense - secondary - was just keeping them from succeeding on both sides of the ball. Maybe a little more speed at lb here and there...

Seems that they are going to surprise a lot of teams they play, and they will start winning. The whole NFL will take notice. Finally.

• Upvote 3

Dorsey has made improvements to a lot of positions, which will make the team better, but none so important as the QB room.

In the camp that's going on right now, Gordon said it's far and away the best QB group he's had since he's been on the team. (of course, he ain't actually been ON the team much).  And that's with TieRod, who's an average player that every team tries to replace, Stanton, a career backup, and a rookie (#1 overall pick rookie).  But, I guess when you compare that to the blind leading the blind in Kizer, Kessler & Hogan, well, it's a massive upgrade.  

(...how could those dopes even have allowed us to go into an NFL season with a QB room of Kessler, Hogan and Kizer?)

-------------

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/5-things-to-know-from-Browns-minicamp-Day-1/d598076b-2150-4411-8c05-84792a2c1a65

On 6/11/2018 at 9:32 AM, Zombo said:

It'll be a lot better. We got a lot more athletic and got the kind of players that Williams wants and needs.

I know everybody on here hates Hue, but I am SO glad we didn't go with a whole new coaching staff, because I really want to see the Greg Williams defense develop with his kind of players. We should be a middle of the road defense at worst, and a Top Third defense at best. The defensive line holds the key, IMO, If the DTs progress and Garrett and Ogbah become the wrecking crew that they can be ... watch out.

Zombo

Well said Zombo!  Heading into week 7 last year, Gregg Williams told reporters Emmanuel Ogbah was the #2 ranked DE in the league at playing the run according to Pro Football Focus (PFF). It would have been fun to see him and Garrett healthy for all 16 games. FWIW, here's how PFF ranked their Top 5 DTs against the run after the 1st 6 weeks of 2017:

1. Lival Joseph, Vikings   Grade 87.6 - Run Stop 16.1%
  2. Jamie Meder, Browns  Grade 74.9 - Run Stop 13.7%
  3. Jurrell Casey, Titans  Grade 80.1 - Run Stop 13.6%
  4. Carl Davis, Ratbirds  Grade 76.2 - Run Stop 13.4%
  5. Danny Shelton, Browns  Grade 77.7 - Run Stop 13.3%

Beneficiary?   Joe Schobert made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in his 1st season playing MLB.  Kirksey also played well AGAIN while James Burgess made the most of his opportunity. This year we get Collins back from injury while adding Kendricks and the rookie Avery to make this deep position group.

Gregg Williams was also quoted as saying "I've got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass rushes last year where he gets within 2 steps or less of the QB when the ball comes out.  Basically, we aren't covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others - especially Ogbah will get more chances because of Denzel. Ogbah was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb.  Ogbah's a rising star in this league."   

High praise from our DC.  For whatever it's worth - SR DE Chubb had 20 sacks his last 2 years at NC State while JR DE Ogbah had 22.5 sacks in his last 2 years at Oklahoma State. 

No area of the team was addressed more than our secondary this off-season after allowing the highest completion percentages to passers in 2017.  In a division that has WRs like Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Michael Crabtree the arrival of Ward, Gaines, Carrie, Mitchell, Randall, and Thomas make a lot of sense. 

14 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Ogbah was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb.  Ogbah's a rising star in this league."   

Well then......that'll be easy enough to verify in the coming year(s).