THE BROWNS BOARD

Supreme court sides with Colorado baker who refused to make wedding cake for same sex couple

I disagree, but that's irrelevant.  When people refer to you by your last name does that offend you?  And do you think these kids might have to deal with being called by their last name throughout their lives?  Seems like a basic "issue" they should have mastered pretty early in life, regardless of gender.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

I disagree, but that's irrelevant.  When people refer to you by your last name does that offend you?  And do you think these kids might have to deal with being called by their last name throughout their lives?  Seems like a basic "issue" they should have mastered pretty early in life, regardless of gender.

I think you're completely missing the point. Or you're purposefully being incredibly obtuse. 

All we have is the teacher's account, but it sounds like, in an effort to be against the idea of transgender, he refused to call a transitioning student by their preferred, and approved name. He was then probably told to, and still refused. All while knowing full well his intentions towards the student

To say "oh they're offended by being called their last name" is idiotic and lacks any grasp of the situation

I understand why he was fired Woody.  After rereading it, I'll concede I overreacted a bit because I thought this was exclusive to gender confused kids, rather than a rule that applied to everyone.  Its the pronouns that are a little more concerning as well, which I don't think was in dispute.  Still, you've got to be one sensitive and destined to fail individual to complain that much about someone calling you by your last name.  

10 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I understand why he was fired Woody.  After rereading it, I'll concede I overreacted a bit because I thought this was exclusive to gender confused kids, rather than a rule that applied to everyone.  Its the pronouns that are a little more concerning as well, which I don't think was in dispute.  Still, you've got to be one sensitive and destined to fail individual to complain that much about someone calling you by your last name.  

You act like this teacher calls everyone by their last name and this student was offended.

But in reality, it sounds like the teacher singled out this student because he disagreed with the transgender aspect. He refused to call the student by their preferred name to insult and degrade them. Much more than just being called by your last name was going on here

Ever hear of a dunce cap? That's a form of humiliation, not your last name.  Even if he was the only kid being called by his last name.  It was pretty standard fare a couple decades ago.  

Now you're suggesting the teacher was behaving in a nefarious way?  Transgenders across the board attempt suicide at over 40% at some part of their lives.  Now if you want to be presumptuous, do you think people who fit in such an unstable category might be a little difficult to work with and just maybe invited some negativity with a little of their own.  Just might want to consider everything before you get too carried away.

In fact, I think some, not all, of these kids wouldn't even be transitioning if they were on the right medication to begin with.  Statistics suggest a large portion of these kids will switch back to their original gender/sex.  They are the definition of unstable and quite possibly present a negative feedback to education in general.

I'm going to predict their suicide rate is going to climb higher as time passes, if the policy is going to be make fragile people more fragile.  I'm not condoning bullying, I'm condemning overt sensitivity as a sort of therapy in a world of expanding insensitivity.  Like viewing someone's last name as a form of hate speech.

I'd be interested in any study you have to backup your statistics

Either way, the teacher is clearly going at this person because they're transgender. Disrespect and disapproval like that, from a teacher, probably contribute to them feeling like Sheet and the suicide rate. 

You're the guy that originally framed this as "Snowflake Millennials Offended By Being Called Last Name." Which was incorrect and misleading for numerous reasons. You just admitting you got some of the story wring is about as much progress I can hope to make with this back and forth. If you still don't see how the teacher was completely in the wrong, then so be it.

9 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You act like this teacher calls everyone by their last name and this student was offended.

But in reality, it sounds like the teacher singled out this student because he disagreed with the transgender aspect. He refused to call the student by their preferred name to insult and degrade them. Much more than just being called by your last name was going on here

Stuart

Um.. It looks like he was calling all students by their last name all along....and never gave the reason why.

To insult and degrade him you say? Why can't you liberals control the urge to throw out baseless accusations in a discussion?

Instead, Kluge said he reached an agreement with school administration that allowed him to call all students — those who identify as transgender and those who do not — by their last name. Kluge said it seemed like a fine compromise. He did not explain to students why he only used last names this past year.

https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2018/6/7/religious-freedom-question-in-indiana-can-teacher-refuse-to-call-transgender-student-by-preferred-name

I can understand how his decision to call all students by their last name would be offensive to the tranny if indeed he, she, it, knew it was because of him, her, it.

Otherwise he, she, it is just a spoiled brat believing he, she, it deserves special treatment.

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Either way, the teacher is clearly going at this person because they're transgender. Disrespect and disapproval like that, from a teacher, probably contribute to them feeling like Sheet and the suicide rate. 

You're the guy that originally framed this as "Snowflake Millennials Offended By Being Called Last Name." Which was incorrect and misleading for numerous reasons. You just admitting you got some of the story wring is about as much progress I can hope to make with this back and forth. If you still don't see how the teacher was completely in the wrong, then so be it.

Just out of curiosity is this transgender pre or post operative?

WSS

ok kids, heres the final word. if someone legally changes their name, u are legally bound to use their name in a professio al environment. a school, where that teachers salary is paid for by the students parents...is such an environment. and thats the final word your all welcome.

6 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

ok kids, heres the final word. if someone legally changes their name, u are legally bound to use their name in a professio al environment. a school, where that teachers salary is paid for by the students parents...is such an environment. and thats the final word your all welcome.

In any other business environment is anyone required to call someone by their first name? Or is mr. Or MS or mrs. Whatever their last name?

WSS

22 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

There is a lot of articles about it, I chose the ones that I think have the most direct links to the study.  Btw I never have used the term "snowflake millennials", which puts your observation skills in question.  

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/resources/preventing-suicide/facts-about-suicide/#sm.0000ggqzqupukekfquy1op8iyw1r4

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/universitys-transgender-surgery-regrets-study-shot-down-as-too-risky

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

In any other business environment is anyone required to call someone by their first name? Or is mr. Or MS or mrs. Whatever their last name?

WSS

if ur employer tells u multiple times to.do so....... what is a question that answers itself called?

32 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

if ur employer tells u multiple times to.do so....... what is a question that answers itself called?

I get the feeling that you hand the wood man just want to be upset about this. I'm trying to think of a situation where I would be angry enough to file a lawsuit if somebody just called me by my last name.

Maybe there's something more to it that makes the outrage justified.

WSS

Not "trying to be upset" at all. An article was posted, with commentary that was objectively wrong, and then later backed off. If I see an article posted with commentary that is misleading or incorrect, and I feel like it, I'll try to correct it, or at least provide the correct information. Though, in the end, there are enough people so set in their beliefs here it probably won't do much. 

Take this example, which is pretty cut and dry, and we're still going.  

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I get the feeling that you hand the wood man just want to be upset about this. I'm trying to think of a situation where I would be angry enough to file a lawsuit if somebody just called me by my last name.

Maybe there's something more to it that makes the outrage justified.

WSS

but theres no outrage. if the school permitted him to do so do how many fcks do u think i have to give for this random culture horsesht?

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Not "trying to be upset" at all. An article was posted, with commentary that was objectively wrong, and then later backed off. If I see an article posted with commentary that is misleading or incorrect, and I feel like it, I'll try to correct it, or at least provide the correct information. Though, in the end, there are enough people so set in their beliefs here it probably won't do much. 

Take this example, which is pretty cut and dry, and we're still going.  

I did make an assumption beyond what the article stated, but as SH's post points out, it turns out to be correct.  

just part of the liberal culture war. Turn everythng inside out, upside down, and bass ackwards, and pass

stupid butt laws to make America accept it all.

Part of the agenda.

Archived