THE BROWNS BOARD

Supreme court sides with Colorado baker who refused to make wedding cake for same sex couple

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

No you are not you ask me about Muslims and Christians.

And of course we're talking about the ownership level. If an employee at the Christian Bakery refused to make the cake the owners can decide whether or not to fire the person. Same as the Muslim Network or the construction company. Problem is people care more about being assholes than anything else. Like that damn in Kentucky that wouldn't issue the marriage license. Everybody wanted to cause a stink rather than just say okay go to the other office and have the other chick do it. But I figure she can't do what you supposed to do they can fire her.

WSS

You missed the ( ) where I said "and religion too". 

There's two sides to this. There's an ownership level and an employee level. 

I'll break it down like this. Are these ok or not?

- Refuse service because customer is Republican

- Refuse service because customer is Black

- Refuse service because customer's request goes against your religious beliefs

- You refuse to do your job (an employee, part if a larger company) because the customer is Republican. Can you be fired?

- You refuse to do your job because the customer is Black. Can you be fired?

- You refuse to do your job because the customer's request goes against your religious beliefs. Can you be fired?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No, I understand it completely. But I'll keep that line in mind when I hear someone mention the race card. 

I'm including religion with the genetic traits. I mean, it's got a generic basis to it too...so...

There's first Amendment rights, and then there's civil rights.

Which one are you talking about?

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You missed the ( ) where I said "and religion too". 

There's two sides to this. There's an ownership level and an employee level. 

I'll break it down like this. Are these ok or not?

- Refuse service because customer is Republican

- Refuse service because customer is Black

- Refuse service because customer's request goes against your religious beliefs

- You refuse to do your job (an employee, part if a larger company) because the customer is Republican. Can you be fired?

- You refuse to do your job because the customer is Black. Can you be fired?

- You refuse to do your job because the customer's request goes against your religious beliefs. Can you be fired?

I suppose on the part of the employee if you refuse to do something that your boss tells you to do he can fire you. Regardless of your reasons.

But let's face it I don't think you support freedom of religion anyway because you don't particularly like religion. But the laws do make exceptions like in the case of forcing the doctor to perform an abortion or some religious sect that doesn't want to go to war or injuns who want to grow and sell peyote.

So there actually is a gray area.

WSS

there is no Amendment that guarantees freedom of race.

kinda sad to have to point that out....

and per the hypotheticals...

the government has no business forcing Americans to violate their legitimately held religious beliefs.

In the hypothetical event where someone invents a fake religion, where so and so color of skin is satanic....

no court would not see through that nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I suppose on the part of the employee if you refuse to do something that your boss tells you to do he can fire you. Regardless of your reasons.

But let's face it I don't think you support freedom of religion anyway because you don't particularly like religion. But the laws do make exceptions like in the case of forcing the doctor to perform an abortion or some religious sect that doesn't want to go to war or injuns who want to grow and sell peyote.

So there actually is a gray area.

WSS

Believe it or not, you can not like something and still support people's right to do it. 

You said an employer has a right to fire their employee for not following orders, but you also said Dr's don't need to perform abortions. What if the Dr's boss is directing them to perform the abortion?

For anyone prone to hyperventilation on this subject there is a hardware store in Tennessee that put up a handwritten sign saying no gays allowed. Somebody can look it up and post a link.

I'm not quite sure how they could tell exactly unless for instance Woody and cleave were making out in the lawn and garden aisle.

WSS

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I guess I'm missing where a gay couple buying a shovel violates his freedom of religion? An argument could be made for supporting a marriage or something, but I guess I don't see it with hardware.

This would be one Theory. The guy of course is a jerk off and does this and makes news for his crappy Little mom-and-pop Hardware Store. He never really has to refuse service to anybody just put up the sign. Free publicity without risk.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

This would be one Theory. The guy of course is a jerk off and does this and makes news for his crappy Little mom-and-pop Hardware Store. He never really has to refuse service to anybody just put up the sign. Free publicity without risk.

WSS

I get that and it makes sense. I'm just curious, if pressed, what his argument would be.

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I get that and it makes sense. I'm just curious, if pressed, what his argument would be.

No idea but he should probably mention the location and telephone number of the shop so other crazy people can go there to buy two-by-fours nails and kerosene.

🤣

WSS

On 6/6/2018 at 1:54 PM, MLD Woody said:

No one said there was a "Freedom of Race" Amendment...

Typical Peckerwood.. Be vague as possible so when proved wrong he can claim that isn't what he meant..

4 hours ago, Axe said:

Typical Peckerwood.. Be vague as possible so when proved wrong he can claim that isn't what he meant..

I'm sorry you didn't follow along. I'll try just posting a bunch of memes next time if it is more your speed. 

4 hours ago, htownbrown said:

http://abc7.com/teacher-claims-school-made-him-resign-for-not-using-transgender-students-name/3576285/

And now calling someone by their last name is too offensive.  Compelled speech........it's whats for dinner.

Wow, what a bad description of what the article describes. Good job. 

The teacher refused to follow the school's rule to call the student by their preferred name, which required approval to change. So they were fired. Based on their telling of the events at least.

26 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Wow, what a bad description of what the article describes. Good job. 

The teacher refused to follow the school's rule to call the student by their preferred name, which required approval to change. So they were fired. Based on their telling of the events at least.

"John Kluge, who taught at the high school for four years, disagreed with the rule and said he instead wanted to refer to the student by their last name."

So in your mind Mr. _________  is a firable offense?

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

if ur employer says get off ur knee or call a student by a certain name, if u dont like it the u can_________?

.....get lost.  That's not the point.  The point is the rule was made I presume because it is offensive to be called by your last name now.  No?

36 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

.....get lost.  That's not the point.  The point is the rule was made I presume because it is offensive to be called by your last name now.  No?

teachers do not typically call a young student by their last name. he was "clearly" doing it to avoid the 1st name. not only that, u can be 100% assured he did multiple times after being told multiple times not to do it. he chose not to, now he's out of a job. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm sorry you didn't follow along. I'll try just posting a bunch of memes next time if it is more your speed. 

You probably should because at least my memes make sense.

Archived