THE BROWNS BOARD

Another look at Austin Corbett - OT/OG/C?

calfoxwc

when the Browns picked Corbett at #33, I was startled. "WHO? LOL"

But the Browns would have lost their chance on him, if they had waited til

any later.

Maybe he really does end up at LT ?

this kid is already one of my favorite additions. It was a great draft for the top five picks.

I wonder if the Browns were a bit concerned that he would go in the bottom of the first round.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/04/26/meet-austin-corbett-future-surgeon-and-current-wrecking-ball-of-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Just can't see him working well with consistency out there by himself.  Footwork doesn't scream blind side protector and as Tour pointed out - wingspan means something. 

I won't completely rule out RT but even that feels like it would take a good deal of time and a small leap of faith. 

Remember RT is now the position facing most of the sack artists in the NFL.. That's why Lane Johnson stayed there this past season for Eagles.  Teams now need 2 top-flight tackles; no such thing any more as RT/LT designation. Same thing with safeties on defense.

53 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Remember RT is now the position facing most of the sack artists in the NFL.. That's why Lane Johnson stayed there this past season for Eagles.  Teams now need 2 top-flight tackles; no such thing any more as RT/LT designation. Same thing with safeties on defense.

Having never played the spot in a live game but having to stand in as a coaching dummy for practices - I can tell you the kinetic differences along with the mastering of making foot work second nature from one side to the other is significant. 

have to LOVE Joe Thomas coaching the linemen.

Corbin has the very quick feet - if he has the balance, he might surprise a lot of folks.

Not lacking for strength:

Speaking of Joe Thomas -

he is a riot.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Joe-Thomas-promises-free-Warriors-jerseys-if-Cavs-lose-Finals-118649850

"Joe Thomas promises free Warriors jerseys if Cavs lose Finals

In the leadup to the NBA Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors, Cleveland Browns safety Damarious Randall became the talk of the town when he declared that he would buy Cavaliers jerseys for anyone who retweeted a post on his Twitter account if the Warriors lost. In the wake of Randall's gambit, retired Browns left tackle Joe Thomas has decided to turn things up a notch.

In declaring his confidence in the Cavaliers, Thomas declared that should the Warriors defeat the Cavaliers, he would buy anyone who retweeted a post of his own a signed, game-worn NBA jersey (He originally stated the jersey would be Steph Curry of the Warriors', but he later revised his statement).

Randall aside, Joe Thomas makes his wager as the second-greatest player in recent Cleveland sports history, trailing only Cavaliers forward LeBron James. In a decade-long career with the Browns, Thomas made the Pro Bowl in all ten seasons in which he completed the season, was named First Team All-Pro seven times and Second-Team All-Pro twice, and never missed a snap between his first career snap and final career snap, which came last season when he suffered a season-ending injury against the Tennessee Titans. Thomas, a future Pro Football Hall of Famer, is one of the greatest players in NFL history to never make an appearance in the playoffs, joining select company such as Chicago Bears legends finger Butkus and Gale Sayers, St. Louis Cardinals legend Steve Wilson, and Denver Broncos legend Floyd Little. "

We paid JT a bonus in his contract hoping he would play his final season. If most know Joe like most think they do? Joe still feels he owes the Browns..Including anything he can do to help. The day I heard many of his body parts basically failed him. I was good on Joe, What more can ya ask for?..Honestly, I don't think Dorsey or this FO can be blamed at leaving cupboard bare at LT or RT..Just don't go back starting with 2013 Draft forward🤔..man, did we pass on some OT's..there's always next year in The Land..Go Cavs!!

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

We paid JT a bonus in his contract hoping he would play his final season. If most know Joe like most think they do? Joe still feels he owes the Browns..Including anything he can do to help. The day I heard many of his body parts basically failed him. I was good on Joe, What more can ya ask for?..Honestly, I don't think Dorsey or this FO can be blamed at leaving cupboard bare at LT or RT..Just don't go back starting with 2013 Draft forward🤔..man, did we pass on some OT's..there's always next year in The Land..Go Cavs!!

Actually, you can blame the Browns for not being prepared for Thomas retiring. 

He was entering his 11th season this time last year. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that LT was a position of need.

But maybe Coleman can fill the position after being mediocre at RT last season... or Corbett can remain at LT, even if popular thought is that he projects more as a pro interior lineman. At worst, next year's draft looks stacked regarding LTs...

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that LT was a position of need.

Now age 33 is the new old? Joe was still ranking like a HOF'er at the LT position at the time of injury? Browns have drafted LT every year since Bitonio. Dr.Science never knew how Joe's body would react elsewhere following a major injury.But when we quit drafting for need & when we start drafting high rounders to replace more HOF'ers? please buff my tombstone ☠️   

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Now age 33 is the new old? Joe was still ranking like a HOF'er at the LT position at the time of injury? Browns have drafted LT every year since Bitonio. Dr.Science never knew how Joe's body would react elsewhere following a major injury.But when we quit drafting for need & when we start drafting high rounders to replace more HOF'ers? please buff my tombstone ☠️   

Have what amounts to a routine involving a small car crash 16 weeks a year - ages the body quite a bit real fast. 

Joe T was old....but still playing at a high level and showed no signs of wanting to quit football.

Had Hue called a different play and Joe not gotten hurt, he'd be our starting LT going into this season.  (some OLinemen have quite long careers)  And I think we STILL would've drafted Corvette (Corbett) pick #1 in round 2....just because Joe WAS/IS old, for a player.

...they also brought in Hubbard as a tackle...so they've put some effort into the tackle position but they HAD to get a QB of the future and HAD to get Peppers closer to the LOS.  The fatass had to wait 'til round 2 (but STILL ahead of a skill position RB pick at #35).

On 5/31/2018 at 8:06 AM, calfoxwc said:

when the Browns picked Corbett at #33, I was startled. "WHO? LOL"

But the Browns would have lost their chance on him, if they had waited til

any later.

Maybe he really does end up at LT ?

I had the same reaction; because I was really pumped at all the linemen we had on our doorstep like the Mexicutioner (Will Hernandez) in particular.  2 draft guides both projected Corbett as a Guard but mentioned jack of all trades on his resume.  Lindy's actually gave him their spot light feature for the Guard position and listed him as their Sleeper.  That was good news to me as well as learning other NFL teams rated him very high with similar reasoning to our FO...

I know the Browns love his flexibility of being able to play Guard, Center or Tackle after an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl. I'm not sure if he projects best at LT so I'm looking forward to seeing his talent dictate where his best niche is.  It may surprise people Corbett has the same arms measurement Joe Thomas had at 33" and change.  Where they differed quite a bit was Thomas had 28 reps on the bench while Corbett only had 19. Normally I don't give a rat what the bench is; but I think it's an important assessment for guys projecting to match up with explosive/powerful edge rushers like T Suggs on the blind side.  In the past few years we've lost starting guards and Joe Thomas to injury while Tretter was on IR the year before we signed him.  When you think about it - Chris Hubbard's road to starting in Pittsburgh came from replacing an injured starter.  Corbett's best shot at starting as a rookie could be beating out Hubbard at RT unless someone inside gets injured. It'll be fun to see how some of the positional battles shake out on the Hard Knocks series during training camp/preseason.

Joe suffered one of few injuries that could've forced retirement. Even a severe knee injury wouldn't have likely kept him out, as he could've kept his upper body mostly in shape and knees are repaired all the time. A triceps injury like his requires so much time just to get to the point of lifting, and by that point all of his upper mass has atrophied. It was awful luck. But, it would've been nice to plan a little better, and it's bad luck again that the draft was so light on quality LT prospects. In fact, OL coming out of college are seen as more of a gamble these days, as so many colleges run pass happy offenses that don't prepare linemen for the NFL. 

I too was shocked by the Corbett pick. Completely. Especially when I saw he was prospected as a freaking Guard...our one position of strength. However, the DIFFERENCE now is I actually trust our front office. It feels good. Is that trust warranted? We're going to find out shortly. 

On 6/1/2018 at 12:40 PM, Orion said:

Joe T was old....but still playing at a high level and showed no signs of wanting to quit football.

Had Hue called a different play and Joe not gotten hurt, he'd be our starting LT going into this season.  (some OLinemen have quite long careers)  And I think we STILL would've drafted Corvette (Corbett) pick #1 in round 2....just because Joe WAS/IS old, for a player.

...they also brought in Hubbard as a tackle...so they've put some effort into the tackle position but they HAD to get a QB of the future and HAD to get Peppers closer to the LOS.  The fatass had to wait 'til round 2 (but STILL ahead of a skill position RB pick at #35).

But not being able to practice throughout the weeks leading up to games (the last year or 2 of not missing any starts) should have been the sufficient evidence Dutch is talking about here.  That was from pain in his knees. People forget Joe Thomas blew his knee out at the end of 1 of Wisconsin's seasons when he also had some reps on the Defensive Line back then. 

I don't think Coleman was nearly as bad of a RT as he's been made out to be especially after overcoming injury.  Keep in mind, he had a rookie QB that often held onto the ball way too long.  On top of that, his niche in the SEC was as a LT.  When Mitch Schwartz made the same transition early on here - his pass pro skills often went on trial his first season or 2 starting even though we never had any issues running off-tackle his way. If our FO likes guys that overcome adversity, this guy had to overcome Leukemia treatments and a knee injury.  Now he gets to return to the comfort zone he enjoyed enough in the SEC that made him in intriguing prospect for us the first place.  His history and Joe Thomas reminds us not to count this guy out. 

Good(still in cavs) Mourning & a few "did you knows" A)Shon Coleman was born in the backwoods of goonie Memphis,Tn.(strike 1)..B)The Browns have drafted a Lineman every year since Alex Mack in 09. C)The only time we did not draft a lineman was in 08. D) After we took JT at #3 in 07 after failing 4 more times drafting Tackles in 02 to 06..  Shon Coleman scares me to death, moving my titanic lawn chairs & fishing tackle to right side of ship.. https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/04/cleveland_browns_what_about_jo.html  Shon Coleman has first crack moving back to his left side from Auburn. BUT the yellow flags started falling at Auburn due to Shon's wide base leading to Poor Balance & Inconsistent Footwork..JT & OL coaches are not miracle workers at NFL speed rushers..I can't be the only one going out on a limb predicting we take a LT in a good LT draft class next season..But please look at the Big 10 OL class, which has seemed to still develope some the best at Tackle position since Joe Thomas was Drafted..   

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Shon Coleman has first crack moving back to his left side from Auburn. BUT the yellow flags started falling at Auburn due to Shon's wide base leading to Poor Balance & Inconsistent Footwork.. Shon Coleman scares me to death, JT & OL coaches are not miracle workers at NFL speed rushers.. - Gumbs

He wasn't playing Nevada's schedule. He was in a conference of 14 teams where he was named 2nd Team All SEC at Left Tackle.  Not a bad honor in a conference that's been known to put explosive pass rushers on many NFL starting rosters.  I read the same pre-draft scouting reports that alluded to inconsistency with how wide his base was.   Improving his consistency with the width of his base doesn't ask for a miracle worker. It can be corrected; especially if he's learning from someone that was as fundamentally and mechanically sound as Joe Thomas was. LG Eric Steinbach (a LT at Iowa) was a calming influence and invaluable resource during Joe Thomas' expedited learning curve in 2007.  He was a savvy vet that brought a lot of tricks of the trade to his new partner on the blind side. Just 2 years later, Alex Mack would be the beneficiary of all that. Nobody needed miracles or smoke and mirrors - they just enjoyed that little bit extra the vet gave them. - Flugel  

I can't be the only one going out on a limb predicting we take a LT in a good LT draft class next season..  - Gumbs

You might not be my man. My guess is people want to see what happens in 2018 before they establish their priorities for 2019.  - Flugel

12 hours ago, jcam222 said:

As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple. 

When you read how Bernie Kosar got plenty of injuries over the years, and how many players live with the damage done to their bodies playing so rough a game, I am delighted that Joe still walks well. Kinda like when you have a favorite TV show - like NCIS,

and Ziva leaves. (and then Dinozo and Abby, dammit).

But in football, the beat up NFL players get over time, doesn't end when they retire all too often.

https://aplus.com/a/physical-therapy-for-life-nfl-retirement?no_monetization=true

Physical Therapy Lasts For The Rest Of An NFL Player's Life

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/feature/wp/2013/05/16/do-no-harm-retired-nfl-players-endure-a-lifetime-of-hurt/?utm_term=.17be64c710f6

12 hours ago, jcam222 said:

As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple. 

Me too J!  To your point, knee pain kept him from practicing all week during his last 2 years of not missing a game. 

And now that he's gone, it feels like this was the biggest off season effort to join the passing era on both sides of the ball with the WR Corps and Secondary in particular.  We've always tried to upgrade the QB position - we just sucked at it. The only time this franchise aligned all the stars and planets somewhat for Joe was in 2007 with 10 wins but no playoffs. Winslow and Edwards made the Pro Bowl while Joe Jurevicius was a great target particularly on 3rd downs. A career backup QB (DA) threw 29 TD passes while our oline revived the dead legs of Jamal Lewis for 1300 yards on the ground. Our oline was LT Joe Thomas, LG Eric Steinbach, C Hank Fraley, RG Seth McKinney & Ryan Tucker, RT Kevin Shaffer

When you don't play gridiron chess with a bunch of pawns - no miracle work required from the coaching staff. 

13 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I have kept this interview with JT pinned since 2015. Maybe Nathan Ulrich best work..  https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns-all-pro-joe-thomas-has-played-through-much-worse-than-the-minor-knee-injury-he-suffered-monday-you-just-suck-it-up-you-re-a-lineman   

When you have a chance to draft a guy like Joe Thomas, who LOVES the game, you draft him. He has huge respect around the entire league. From Gumby's link:

“I’ve got enough confidence in myself I don’t feel like I have to play,” Thomas said. “But I like to play. I want to go out there and be with my linemates and be out there helping [projected starting quarterback] Josh [McCown] and doing everything I can because I think if I’m healthy, it’s only fair to those guys to be out there giving my best.”

Thomas hasn’t missed any action with the Browns. Actually, he has barely missed any his entire life.

“I think going back to when I started playing football in seventh grade, I never missed a start,” he said. “I did tear my ACL in the bowl game my junior year [at the University of Wisconsin], so I did miss the fourth quarter of that game. Other than that, I never had an injury that caused me to miss time.”

Other than Monday’s session, Thomas said he can’t recall a practice he’s had to leave early since he joined the Browns."

Archived