THE BROWNS BOARD

Meanderings

The Gipper

Speaking of Stadium news....what about the latest on the Browns stadium?  Nothing really new in the last month:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Report-Cleveland-Browns-could-renovate-FirstEnergy-Stadium-or-build-new-one-118002854

Just a note on the ideas of building a new stadium elsewhere:    The footprint of the field on which the Browns play  is the most enduring in the NFL. 

It has been used continuously as both the home of the Rams and the Browns since 1945....except for the 3 year hiatus in the 1990s.  While a "new" stadium was built....they still kept the field in the same spot.

The second longest continuous use of a field is in Green Bay, Lambeau field, in use since the late 1950s.  Lambeau Field, like First Energy Stadium is essentially a completely new structure that surrounds the field.  Some old girders may still be in place, unlike Muni, but it essentially a complete renovated structure.

FUTURE SUPER BOWL LOCATIONS

2018 Season

More stadium Stuff:  Future Super Bowl sites:

Super Bowl LIII
Sunday, February 3, 2019
Mercedes-Benz Stadium – Atlanta, GA
Buy Tickets

2019 Season

Super Bowl LIV
Sunday, February 2, 2020*
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens – FL

2020 Season

Super Bowl LV
Sunday, February 7, 2021*
Raymond James Stadium – Tampa, FL

2021 Season

Super Bowl LVI
Sunday, February 6, 2022*
LA Stadium at Hollywood Park – Los Angeles, CA

2022 Season

Super Bowl LVII
Sunday, February 5, 2023*
U. of Phoenix Stadium – Glendale, AZ

2023 Season

Super Bowl LVIII
Sunday, February 4, 2024*
Mercedes-Benz Superdome – New Orleans, LA

Locations of Future NFL Drafts.   My opinion, as I have stated before, is that the draft should NOT be held in cities that generally host the Super Bowl. 

I also think the experience of the draft this past month in Dallas seemed to be a disappointment compared to the previous locations when it was held in Chicago and Philly.  Did any of you get that same impression?

It appears that it is likely that Nashville will get next year's draft.    (not sure how that decision was arrived at).  But for the following year there is this:

The NFL has narrowed its list to five finalists to host the 2019 and 2020 drafts, the league announced on Thursday.

Denver, Cleveland/Canton, Las Vegas, Nashville and Kansas City are in the running to host the NFL Draft, marking the first time for each of those respective cities.

As noted, Nashville looks like it is getting 2019.  The absolute favorite for 2020 should be the Cleveland/Canton bid.  That seems a no brainer to me.  Hold it there where the league began 100 years before.

Las Vegas, to me, should not be getting anything until the league has been there a few years....and, to me, it is more likely to be the site of a Super Bowl than the Draft.  Denver and KC may be worthy, but they can wait for years after 2020.

At some point also....I believe that Green Bay should also be given the draft.

See this:     A former Pats player says it is no fun playing for the Patriots.

https://sports.yahoo.com/another-former-patriot-sounds-off-culture-theres-nothing-fun-185553282.html

Well...I have never thought that playing for BB was ever a Rose Garden..  So..in my humble opinion, the skills and talents of Tom Brady have likely gone far beyond just leading that team to a number of titles.  Without him there, without the winning that he brings....the Pats could end up like the Browns of the early 90s.

Archived