THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland in the Finals

The Gipper

Here is a list, year by year, of any Cleveland team that has made the Finals in any of the major sports.  (denoted by NBA, MLB, NFL, AAFC)  FYI...no Cleveland team has ever made the finals in the NHL or Stanley Cup Challenges:

1892 Cleveland Spiders lost to Boston Beaneaters    National League  (stand alone at that time)

1896 Cleveland Spiders beat Baltimore Orioles  National League

1920 Cleveland Indians beat Brooklyn Robins  MLB

1945 Cleveland Rams beat Washington Redskins  NFL

1946 Cleveland Browns beat NY Yankees AAFC

1947 Cleveland Browns beat NY Yankees AAFC

1948 Cleveland Indians beat Boston Braves MLB

1948 Cleveland Browns beat Buffalo Bills AAFC

1949 Cleveland Browns beat San Francisco 49ers  AAFC

1950 Cleveland Browns beat LA Rams  NFL

1951 Cleveland Browns lose to LA Rams NFL

1952 Cleveland Browns lose to Detroit Lions NFL

1953 Cleveland Browns lose to Detroit Lions  NFL

1954 Cleveland Indians lose to NY Giants  MLB

1954 Cleveland Browns beat Detroit Lions  NFL

1955 Cleveland Browns beat LA Rams  NFL

1957 Cleveland Browns lose to Detroit Lions NFL

1964 Cleveland Browns beat Baltimore Colts  NFL

1965 Cleveland Browns lose to Green Bay Packers NFL

1995 Cleveland Indians lose to Atlanta Braves  MLB

1997 Cleveland Indians lose to Florida Marlins  MLB

2007 Cleveland Cavaliers lose to San Antonio Spurs NBA

2015 Cleveland Cavaliers lose to Golden State Warriors  NBA

2016 Cleveland Cavaliers beat Golden State Warriors NBA

2016 Cleveland Indians lose to Chicago Cubs

2017 Cleveland Cavaliers lose to Golden State Warriors  NBA

2018  Cleveland Cavs.  vs.  GSW....outcome TBD

Notes on this:

A.  Overall  Cleveland teams are   18-18  in all Finals in history

But they are 1-7 since the Browns last won.

B. The Cleveland Spiders were 1-1

The Cleveland Rams were 1-0

The Cavaliers are  1-3...so far

The Indians are 2-4

The Browns are 8-5 

C.  This does not include Championships won by Cleveland (Akron/Canto) area teams where no playoffs were held, i.e. 20s NFL titles. 

The Warriors/Cavs matchup is the FIRST time in any sport where the same two team  collided in the Finals  4 years in a row.

In football.....the ONLY  3 times matchup was between the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions in 1953, 53, 54.

The only time the Super Bowl ever had a repeat, the same two teams meeting in consecutive years were the Cowboys and Bills in the 90s. (In pre-Super Bowl era,  the same 2 teams repeated a number of times...but only the Browns/Lions was a triple)

That Cowboys/Bills is the last time there has been a repeat matchup

In the NBA....this  4 time repeat performance breaks the 3 time repeat performance record of these 2 teams set last year.   At no other time has there ever been more than a 2 times repeat:

Lakers and Celtics have repeated to meet each other on 3 different occasions.

The Lakers and Knicks did it on 2 different occasions.

The Celtics and St. Louis Hawks also repeated on 2 different occasions

The Lakers/76ers, and the Lakers/Pistons had one repeat matchup

In MLB.....the ONLY  3 time repeat matchup in the World Series was in 1921, 1922, 1923 when the NY Yankees and NY Giants matched up.

the Dodgers and Yankees have met in consecutive World Series  3 times.   The latest time:  1978/1979 is the last time the same two teams matched up in the WS in consecutive years.

In the NHL,    there has ever only been one time that the same teams met 3 years in a row:   1954, 1955, 1956   the Montreal Canadiennes and the Detroit Redwings faced off 3 years in a row.   (at that time...there were only actually 6 teams).

There have been a number of  repeat matchups...2 in a row.    The most recent was in  2008 and in 2009 when both the Redwings and Pittsburgh Penguins faced off.   They each won once. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

the Dodgers and Yankees have met in consecutive World Series  3 times.   The latest time:  1978/1979 is the last time the same two teams matched up in the WS in consecutive years.

The Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees had one helluva rivalry in the late 40s/50s until the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. 

They met in the World Series in 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956. The Dodgers came within one game of meeting them in the 1950 (lost the pennant on the last day of the regular season) and 1951 (lost the deciding game vs the NY Giants in the NL Playoff Series) World Series too. 

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees had one helluva rivalry in the late 40s/50s until the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. 

They met in the World Series in 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956. The Dodgers came within one game of meeting them in the 1950 (lost the pennant on the last day of the regular season) and 1951 (lost the deciding game vs the NY Giants in the NL Playoff Series) World Series too. 

Some people still haven't got over the Dodgers move......somewhat too on the NY baseball Giants.

But the populations were moving West. 

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Some people still haven't got over the Dodgers move......somewhat too on the NY baseball Giants.

But the populations were moving West. 

That and the guy who pretty much ran New York City back then and decided what got built and what didn't - Robert Moses - didn't care for Brooklyn owner Walter O'Malley. He wouldn't ok the plot of land O'Malley wanted in Brooklyn to build his new domed park, and the rest is history. Roughly 50 years later, the Brooklyn Nets' new arena stands on that exact spot.

22 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

We're not beating GSW. No chance in hell..

The bookmaking community seem to agree with you:

ODDS TO WIN THE 2017-18 NBA FINALS (6/15/18)  vegasinsider.com 
Team Odds
Golden State Warriors 1/10 <---- WOW, in a championship series?
Cleveland Cavaliers 6/1

I do note that for the  13 years between 1945 and 1957.....Cleveland had a team playing in the Finals of a sport in 12 of those 13 years....and a couple of times, more than one team.

We had a little taste of that in 2016.    Maybe, if the Indians can get their act together, they can do a repeat of 2016.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Team Odds
Cleveland Cavaliers 6/1

Cleveland should throw the Cavs another parade if they can manage to even win two games this series. 

This reminds me of LeBron taking that mediocre roster to the Finals in '07 only to get swept by a great Spurs team. 

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Cleveland should throw the Cavs another parade if they can manage to even win two games this series. 

This reminds me of LeBron taking that mediocre roster to the Finals in '07 only to get swept by a great Spurs team. 

If the Cavaliers could beat the Warriors would it be the biggest championship upset of all time? Tough to do in a best of 7 game series.

Remember this? "I guarantee it".  http://www.pophistorydig.com/topics/joe-namath/

Colts on A Roll: 13-1

Over in the NFL, meanwhile, coach Don Shula’s Baltimore Colts had also completed a superior season in 1968 — in fact, pro football’s best that year — finishing the regular season by winning 10 games in a row, four by shutouts.  The Colts posted a 13-1 record.  In their last ten games, they had allowed only seven touchdowns.  Their quarterback, Earl Morrall, who had replaced the legendary Johnny Unitas after an injury, was having a great season, with a league-leading passing performance. On their way to meeting the Jets in the Superbowl, the Colts had decisively beaten the Cleveland Browns 34-0 in the NFL championship game. Given this performance, many regarded the Colts as one of the best teams of all time, even comparable to Vince Lombardi’s championship Green Bay Packer teams  — teams that had won Super Bowls I and II.  So it was no surprise that the Colts were favored to beat the Jets in the big game.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:42 AM, mjp28 said:

Team Odds
Cleveland Cavaliers 6/1

I take that to mean if you want the Warriors, bet $10 to win a buck.  

Never in all My years of watching sports have I seen the kind of ShmuckERY! The NBA refs pulled tonight to ensure a Golden State victory.. They literally bent the rules in favor of Golden State. If they can bend the rules..Whats the sense of having them.. If theyre just gonna change it.. To appease the golden state HOMO's.. Then throw the rules out and let'em play Shmuckin ball!

Insane, but hill could have made both free throws, and Jr could have used his head and knew the damn score and called a time out. He also let curry hit a 3 to end the half. j.r. hasn't been good since 2016. We also missed so many open looks. love has to be able to connect, he is an all star but fades away when the going gets tough. 

Cavs might have just choked away the series in Game 1.

BTW LBJ was spectacular again.

i-knew-it-it-was-too-good-to-be-true.jpg

I'm still  fuming and feeling the hurt over this.. I can understand Golden State on paper is the better team.. They have 3 of the top shooters in the game... They didn't need the refs to gift wrap it for them...

37 minutes ago, nickers said:

I'm still  fuming and feeling the hurt over this.. I can understand Golden State on paper is the better team.. They have 3 of the top shooters in the game... They didn't need the refs to gift wrap it for them...

4 All Stars, including at least two HOFers, plus 3 Refs and the home crowd couldn't beat Lebron James, it took a boneheaded play by a teammate.

Zombo

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

4 All Stars, including at least two HOFers, plus 3 Refs and the home crowd couldn't beat Lebron James, it took a boneheaded play by a teammate.

Zombo

They got robbed.. end of story...

5 hours ago, nickers said:

Calling LeBron for blocking on Durant was BS, and that was a game changer for sure. 

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

JR should of known what was going on. But that being said, the change of the charge call to a block was absolutely ridiculous, and If I had a dude who looks and acts like the donkey from Shrek (Draymond), and he got in my face and taunted me and clapped, I would of pushed him just like TT did too.

The Fact that on first take the warriors fans said they were never afraid because they are the best ever is pathetic. The fact that M.C. Hammer of all people is talking Sheet about cleveland on first take this morning is pathetic. The fact that the girl I used to date from Oakland snapchatted me talking Sheet about the warriors manhandling the cavs is pathetic. And the Fact that Draymond has the nerve to call LeBron a B#$%^ and Curry has the nerve to talk sh!t to LeBron is pathetic too.

LeBron is on next level. He'll put up 60 if he has to. But J.R. is disappointing me, I know he'll bounce back though. Lastly, that ref should be fired. In my opinion was as bad as "Bottlegate" was for the NFL. Even Chris Bosh tweeted that it was a ridiculous and unfair call.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

If I had a dude who looks and acts like the donkey from Shrek (Draymond), and he got in my face and taunted me and clapped, I would of pushed him just like TT did too.

Fact that Draymond has the nerve to call LeBron a B#$%^ and Curry has the nerve to talk sh!t to LeBron is pathetic too

Myself & several Mikes Hard Lemonade thought this happened? (of course Green stands shouting from other end of court. My reading lips count hit 3 times never getting news).. JR failed the Jr.high school b-ball test..with 4 seconds left, if the ball comes to me what do I do for a team win? Give Ty the ABC sidelines mic>>> 

Gaymon' Green...King James hung 51 on your A S S's..

The changed call was the clearest evidence I've ever seen of game fixing. Without that call the game was over. There were also two clear miscalled fouls on us that were clean strips amdcto add insult to injury Curry mugged Lebron on a strip and no call. Fu k the refs. Also if I could see someone power bomb that b!tch loudmouth punk Green I'd be damn happy. 

GS a big favorite again in Game 2.......

NBA SPREAD
freeodds_hdr_vegas1_nba.gif
06/03 8:05 PM
503 Cleveland
504 Golden State

216u-10
-12 -10

215½u-10
-11½ -10

215½u-10
-12 -10

215½u-10
-12 -10

215½u-10
-11½ -10

215u-10
-12 -10

215½u-10
-12 -05

215u-10
-11½ -10

215u-10
-11½ -10
Picks
GS-G-Klay Thompson-Probable | TV: ABC
06/06 9:05 PM
505 Golden State
506 Cleveland

-4½ -10
214½u-10

-4½ -10
214½u-10

7 hours ago, beare said:

If im lue id put in someone who barely plays have him knock the Sheet out of green and do it early in the game!!!

BREAKING NEWS - The Cleveland Cavaliers have just signed Richie Incognito to a 2 week contract.

10 hours ago, beare said:

If im lue id put in someone who barely plays have him knock the Sheet out of green and do it early in the game!!!

Start Kendrick Perkins.

Zombo

Archived