THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey, Memorial Day

The Gipper

it's smarter to be humble, "open-minded" often seems to lend itself to "unprincipled" and "oops my brains fell out and now I feel stupid"..

understand enough to see any of yourself in that?

“A wise man apportions his belief to the evidence.” Keep your brains tucked safely inside your skulls. Be open but not gullible. And remember, it is better to think than to believe."

T.H. Huxley

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

it's smarter to be humble, "open-minded" often seems to lend itself to "unprincipled" and "oops my brains fell out and now I feel stupid"..

understand enough to see any of yourself in that?

“A wise man apportions his belief to the evidence.” Keep your brains tucked safely inside your skulls. Be open but not gullible. And remember, it is better to think than to believe."

T.H. Huxley

"Unprincipled"  being used to mean:   does not conform to my personal dogma. 

And Huxley makes sense...ergo, why are you quoting it?  It sounds contrary to what you espouse.  

And...is TH Huxley related to Aldous Huxley?   He of science fiction writing fame?

Perhaps you should take note of the words of another science fiction writer:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Isaac Asimov

• Zombo locked this topic

Archived