THE BROWNS BOARD

Foles spurns Browns

Westside Steve

No guys no glory...........................................................oh wait...............................................he already found glory.........................................never mind.:rolleyes:

It's hard to blame the guy on one hand, and on another it could be a poor professional decision.  On the surface, deciding against going to a 1-31 team, and perpetual laughing stock, seems like a great idea.  However, as you look beneath the surface, you see a team that actually has some young talent, offensive playmakers, and an Offensive Coordinator who has a stellar history of assisting QB's get big numbers.  On the other hand, can you REALLY blame a guy for holding a clipboard and making $20 MILLION for one season?  

Whatever, I'm very happy with Tyrod.  I like that he's way more mobile, and he's the kind of guy our players can look up to (not saying Foles isn't btw).  Tyrod is known to be the hardest worker on the team, and that will rub off very well on our young dudes, especially Baker.  

The best thing that could happen to Foles would be to never play another snap until he's a free agent. 

His price tag would be through the roof being that the last film on him would be winning the super bowl. 

Problem for him though, if I remember correctly..... is that his contract is very Eagles friendly. They have him on the cheap for like 4 years locked up. 

So with that said.... i'm not sure I'd pass on a starting position elsewhere..... but Wentz could be out for extended period this year too.

I doubt seriously that he had that much of a say in it.  If the Eagles had wanted to trade him for the #35...they would have done so over his objection.  If in fact that offer of a trade was made....and I would wager that it never was made, and if the Eagles rejected it, it was because they felt they needed Foles more than they needed that pick.  Turns out they were right.  

But I still think the report is bogus on several levels.

2 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Cush job on a Super Bowl winning team in a city that adores him. I get why he opted to stay in Philly.

No Doubt. Got lucky and now he can rest on his Laurels with no need to prove it. Go to another team that's not super bowl-caliber and the armor will look like tin foil.

WSS

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's hard to blame the guy on one hand, and on another it could be a poor professional decision.  On the surface, deciding against going to a 1-31 team, and perpetual laughing stock, seems like a great idea.  However, as you look beneath the surface, you see a team that actually has some young talent, offensive playmakers, and an Offensive Coordinator who has a stellar history of assisting QB's get big numbers.  On the other hand, can you REALLY blame a guy for holding a clipboard and making $20 MILLION for one season?    ;)

Whatever, I'm very happy with Tyrod.  I like that he's way more mobile, and he's the kind of guy our players can look up to (not saying Foles isn't btw).  Tyrod is known to be the hardest worker on the team, and that will rub off very well on our young dudes, especially Baker.  

A combination of how undesirable a quarterback job in Cleveland had become -plus- when a person's basic monatary and other basic needs are met.....in his case for decades.... you can do whatever you want.

The best the BROWNS could do in the FA market was Tyrod Taylor, speaks volumes for the 1999-2017 era.

Both Foles and Taylor got to the pro bowl once.  Taylor is a top-15 QB starter in the league.. Buffalo is welcome to make their own decisions.

If this had happened, Foles would be the first player I can remember traded away from one team.. twice.. for assets and not cut.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I doubt seriously that he had that much of a say in it.  If the Eagles had wanted to trade him for the #35...they would have done so over his objection.  If in fact that offer of a trade was made....and I would wager that it never was made, and if the Eagles rejected it, it was because they felt they needed Foles more than they needed that pick.  Turns out they were right.  

But I still think the report is bogus on several levels.

Exactly, come on guys. What I believe to be true is that they in a good organizational fashion told Foles something like "hey just to let you know we are listening to offers for you, one from the Browns and other teams". Point is the organization would have traded him if they saw the value, which frankly for #35 I wouldn't have budged either. ACL injuries are far better recovery now, but that's still a wild card injury. You got a dude who just won you a Super Bowl on a team that could easily be in the hunt to repeat under your control and could easily be vitally important. I'm not even sure the #1 overall pick would have been worth trading for him, to be honest.

18 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Exactly, come on guys. What I believe to be true is that they in a good organizational fashion told Foles something like "hey just to let you know we are listening to offers for you, one from the Browns and other teams". Point is the organization would have traded him if they saw the value, which frankly for #35 I wouldn't have budged either. ACL injuries are far better recovery now, but that's still a wild card injury. You got a dude who just won you a Super Bowl on a team that could easily be in the hunt to repeat under your control and could easily be vitally important. I'm not even sure the #1 overall pick would have been worth trading for him, to be honest.

Totally agree. I’m much happier with Tyrod and a rookie (even though I wouldn’t have picked who we picked) than I would have been with Foles. 

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

A combination of how undesirable a quarterback job in Cleveland had become -plus- when a person's basic monatary and other basic needs are met.....in his case for decades.... you can do whatever you want.

The best the BROWNS could do in the FA market was Tyrod Taylor, speaks volumes for the 1999-2017 era.

Browns didn't get TT  as a FA...they traded a 3rd round pick for him....remember?

42 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Browns didn't get TT  as a FA...they traded a 3rd round pick for him....remember?

Right they basically struck out in the FA market and Taylor/Stanton was what they ended up with, hopefully Mayfield will be the future.

In any event they should have a much improved product on the field in 2018.

31 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Right they basically struck out in the FA market and Taylor/Stanton was what they ended up with, hopefully Mayfield will be the future.

In any event they should have a much improved product on the field in 2018.

I don't know if they "struck out" at all in Free Agency.    If I am correct, they made the trade for TT before the free agency period started....so they took themselves out of the market for QBs in FA.

It seems that you are getting a lot of facts wrong about this situation today.  Better check the dosage on your memory pills.:P

A. I don't blame him - he's in a great spot.

B. I don't care, and he will be sorry later...eventually. The Browns will have a better record. LOL

C. no big deal.

To me, it says more of the Eagles not being certain on Wentz status for this season than of Foles himself. But if he did ever have to make that decision, not accepting Browns' job was clever. 

Being a back up quaterback who has won a Superbowl ring is like retiring in the summit of your career and keep getting paid for it.

Foles is in Philly, right?

Tyrod is in Browns town, right?

That's all I need to know.....GO TYROD & GO BROWNS!!!!

Mike

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know if they "struck out" at all in Free Agency.    If I am correct, they made the trade for TT before the free agency period started....so they took themselves out of the market for QBs in FA.

It seems that you are getting a lot of facts wrong about this situation today.  Better check the dosage on your memory pills.:P

I think it went something like:

2018 NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE 
IMPORTANT DATES

JANUARY
January 1 Clubs may begin signing free agent players for the 2018 season.

A. Smith and Cousins among other FA QBs  were gone and not to Cleveland. 

In early March the Bills traded away Taylor before having to pay him any due extra monies owed. Not a bad deal for the BROWNS. 

What's left?

May 21-23 Spring League Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.
JUNE
June 1 Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.
June 2 For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2019 League Year.
June 15 Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Late June Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs. Attendance is mandatory for all rookies.
JULY
July 16 At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one- year contract with his prior club for the 2018 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.
Mid-July Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for Veteran players.
Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.
Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.
A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.
July 23* Signing period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 8 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights. 
* or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.
July 23 Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, Prior Club has exclusive negotiating rights.
AUGUST
August 2 Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio.
August 2-5 Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton, Ohio.
August 7 Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
August 7 If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2018, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2019 League Year.
SEPTEMBER
September 1 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
September 1 Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
September 2 Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon, New York time.
September 2 Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a practice squad of 10 players. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has  been terminated via the waiver system.
September 6 At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL clubs.
September 6, 9-10 Regular Season opens.

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Explain. 

No purpose in wasting long-term assets on the bridge QB who won't be here in 2 years anyway.  Much better to grab our LT/C of the next 10 years.. Either that or Dorsey is looking at Tyrod as a darn good long-term backup after Baker gets the promotion.

Note that RT is now the premium tackle position -- more of the sack names you know go up against RT in this league than LT now. That's why Lane Johnson of the Eagles plays RT rather than LT.. I said all that to say that top of the second [the pick offered for Foles] is actually likely the right place to grab starting LT these days.

15 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

No purpose in wasting long-term assets on the bridge QB who won't be here in 2 years anyway.  Much better to grab our LT/C of the next 10 years..

Note that RT is now the premium tackle position -- more of the sack names you know go up against RT in this league than LT now. That's why Lane Johnson of the Eagles plays RT rather than LT.. I said all that to say that top of the second [the pick offered for Foles] is actually likely the right place to grab starting LT these days.

Actually it was #35 overall that may have been offered, which is Chubb.

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-reportedly-turned-down-nick-230823525.html

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Explain. 

Really? Aside from a couple of his Flacco-like stretches he is at best a barely 60% completion QB, with a low YPA and lacking the ability or willingness to drive the ball downfield.    

He's Alex Smith lite at best. 

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think it went something like:

2018 NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE 
IMPORTANT DATES

JANUARY
January 1 Clubs may begin signing free agent players for the 2018 season.

A. Smith and Cousins among other FA QBs  were gone and not to Cleveland. 

In early March the Bills traded away Taylor before having to pay him any due extra monies owed. Not a bad deal for the BROWNS. 

So, I am right.  They traded for TT before the FA season began.    Remember...Smith was traded to the Redskins...he was not a FA.  Cousins was going to ask...and get stupid money that the Browns had NO interest in giving....so they were NEVER going to be in the market for him.

Also...I am not sure that TT  takes a back seat in ability to either Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

No purpose in wasting long-term assets on the bridge QB who won't be here in 2 years anyway.  Much better to grab our LT/C of the next 10 years.. Either that or Dorsey is looking at Tyrod as a darn good long-term backup after Baker gets the promotion.

Let me interpret:    It is better to give up a 3rd rounder for a QB that will serve as our "bridge"....than a high second rounder for someone to do so....who may actually have no interest in that role if he were to come here, seeing that he just won a Super Bowl and believes he could/should be a long term starter rather than a "bridge" guy.  ??

That makes sense, certainly.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

So, I am right.  They traded for TT before the FA season began.    Remember...Smith was traded to the Redskins...he was not a FA.  Cousins was going to ask...and get stupid money that the Browns had NO interest in giving....so they were NEVER going to be in the market for him.

Also...I am not sure that TT  takes a back seat in ability to either Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

Maybe from the last game of last season until the draft beginning on April 26th I just got burned out on all of the quarterback blah-blah-blah talk and no FA really ended up saying "I'm going to Cleveland" the way kids say "We're going to Disney World".......no takers. No good experienced quarterback wants to join the meat grinder of starting quarterbacks from 1999 to the present.

Actually things worked out probably as good as they could have with the BROWNS getting Taylor/Stanton as the 2018 team while the boy wonder Baker Mayfield gets ready for his eventual debut.

........and Kirk Cousins didn't become a ridiculously overpriced, overpaid quarterback on Cleveland's dime and then went out and bought Cedar Point. :lol:

29 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Maybe from the last game of last season until the draft beginning on April 26th I just got burned out on all of the quarterback blah-blah-blah talk and no FA really ended up saying "I'm going to Cleveland" the way kids say "We're going to Disney World".......no takers. No good experienced quarterback wants to join the meat grinder of starting quarterbacks from 1999 to the present.

Actually things worked out probably as good as they could have with the BROWNS getting Taylor/Stanton as the 2018 team while the boy wonder Baker Mayfield gets ready for his eventual debut.

........and Kirk Cousins didn't become a ridiculously overpriced, overpaid quarterback on Cleveland's dime and then went out and bought Cedar Point. :lol:

Just WHO were all these fabulous FA QBs out there that were eligible for FA that the Browns did not get....that were far and away better than Tyrod Taylor.  Answer:  not on fuycking person.     Cousins?  Big numbers, few wins.  Case Keenum? One year wonder...not that much of a career. 

I mean...who the hell did the Browns miss out on as a FA QB that was so great?  Not a Goddamned soul.

Archived