THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

I don't understand fans like you. If you don't like a guy, that's fine. Why do you feel like you have to insult the person (never heard anybody refer to JF as a cry baby) and make assanine statements? Kirk Cousins? Because of one good game? Trade a potential superstar for a back up, makes sense...... The dude is a Brown now. I root for EVERY player and hope they succeed. I wouldnt give a shit if his name was Andy Dick as long as he plays hard and can help this team win. Give it time and see if he can prove himself. The Johnny Football persona is 100% media driven, coach Pettine even said that himself in a presser either today or yesterday. I watched the JF introductory presser and the dude IMO comes off as a humble young guy who wants to bust his ass and do whatever hes gotta do to get better and win for the Browns. Just calm the fuck down and have some patience.

Thing I don't understand about fans like you is one you won't give hoyer the chance he's earned, two it's always about the shinny new toy, and three you think drafting a qb fixes this. That formula has worked so well for the browns. They were on the right path this offseason and blew the draft, always looking at next year, as usual. And knowing that josh Gordon was out and not drafting Sammy Watkins is bone headed. So now we're stuck in the same place we have been for 15 year wait to see if a rookie qb will work out. And you can't think logically and say the Johnny football is going to come in and take them to the playoffs, change his college habits and become a new qb, and or play a full season. That pick was not smart for the team a luxury pick they can't afford. And do you really think he is going to seat and learn for one or two years. The fact of the matter it fans like you are going to bitch and moan till he is in and not ready he will come it and fall on his face. That is why qb come to Cleveland to die.

And to be skeptic happens when you go through 20 qb's. And to think he is God's second coming is misguides as well. And because he did well in college means nothing in the pros( Tim Tebow) won a lot of games in college and a lot of people say he was top five ever in college. He's a competitor more so than Johnny, as well as a leader and worker. And let's remember Hoyer was behind Brady- one of the best ever. So would I rather have a guy like Mike Vick, or Tom Brady, I'm going to pick the guy who is more like Tom.

I love reading through all this so i can get a feel for the true Browns fans. Funny thing is we went through the same debate about some redshirted freshman kid someone had nicknamed "Johnny Football" who was tearing apart the 1st team D with nothing but a scout team. None of us long suffering Aggie fans believed such a "phenom" really existed or that he was throwing a lot to some high school power forward from a basketball team with one year experience as a football player. Who could have ever guessed that two years later a Heisman winner goes to the Browns and his basketball player goes even higher to the Bucs?

Just enjoy the ride. Relax. Whatever happens will be a lot of fun to be a part of because some things he pulls off will make your head spin thinking what you just saw was not possible on this level. We thought the same thing going into our first season in the SEC. Man the last two years were fun even without any championships.

We expected no savior, but what we got was thoroughly entertaining. Keep your expectations there and anything else is gravy.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that Hoyer will start the first game and Johnny will get to play some. Once the team and coaches

work with Johnny, they will want him as the starter. He has quickness in the pocket like no other. He may be shorter than the

usual nfl quarterback, but his confidence and swagger is contagious. He is must-see TV.

oh FFS some of you muppet browns fans I swear. Thank god I see the majority of people understand that in order for Johnny Manziel to be our franchise qb for the future, the guy that takes us deep into the playoffs perennially....he HAS to sit for AT LEAST a year. I'm actually going to be livid if I see him in there this year even if does decent. Reality is it's going to take more than a year for him to purge his bad habits from college that WILL get his ass killed in the NFL. Once he understands how and when to slouch out of a collapsing NFL pocket, like the best of em...than put him in.

My worst fear though is that after the 1st bad game HOyer puts up....the johnny chants are coming. Fucking facepalm. I'd rather us have a sub .500 season again then to prematurely put JF out there cause I think he has the potential to be "really" special in this league.

I can understand Brown fans being jaded by the hype following a new QB, but seriously...Quin? Weeden? I mean i have always saw the Browns as a team that knows how to fuck things up and they almost did Thursday. They passed on Manziel twice before getting it right the third time. I dont understand not drafting a WR either. Anyways, i kindof find it offensive when people compare Johnny with other QBs. There is no comparision. This is a completely different animal. I think all of us cant wait to see what he does with his first opportunity.

It certainly is going to be nothing short of fascinating waatching him play Everlasting.

I just want to say welcome Aggie-Browns fans to the fold! I personally am glad to have you aboard as Aggie fans know what it is like to endure absolute misery and persistent disappointments without wavering once in their support for their team. I don't give a fuck what other teams' fans say about our brownies and us fans, we are the most diehard, reverant, strong willed fans in all of professional sports. Nothing has broken our will to root for our team and nothing ever will!

I'm pumped to see how Manziel translates to the NFL. He has a couple knocks in a few areas but there is no questioning he is driven, confident, gifted, athletic, and a tough son of a bitch. I have seen some the hits he took at A&M when he takes off running and he bounces right back up like "FUCK YOU, that's all you got big guy?" At worst he will bust like all the other twenty something QBs we have started in the past 15 years and in reality we Browns fans are so numb to that occurrence anymore that is become a routine. I truely wish the best for him though as he is one of us now, I hope he embraces Cleveland and bleeds Brown and orange for the next 15 years.

I am a long time (disgruntled) Cowboys fan and i have never been into college football until one day i saw Manziel on tv and i was amazed at the plays he makes. Most exciting player i have ever seen. He makes the game fun. Very envious because i honestly thought he was staying in Texas. Alot of dissappointed Cowboys and Texan fans.

On a side note, i think he should sit the first year. Calm the hype down a little, let him mature and learn. Romo sat for 3 seasons before his first start. Keep building the pieces around him.

I agree he needs to sit for a while. But what you don't understand is this is Cleveland, and if Hoyer falters at all our fans are so rabid and passionate they will call for his head, all hell will break loose, and the Johnny football show will most likely begin.....

I would be satisfied if he sat at least 8 games.

Romo.... Bleh. I think he is way overhyped and not nearly as great as he is made out to be. He is a master choke artist when it comes time to put up or shut up. No team is going anywhere with that. Manziel on the other hand is the exact opposite. The more pressure, the greater the moment and the scrutiny at hand, the better he plays andthe better he makes those around him play.

This is going to be a fun, interesting new era in Cleveland.

The TRADER RAY era.

I am a long time (disgruntled) Cowboys fan and i have never been into college football until one day i saw Manziel on tv and i was amazed at the plays he makes. Most exciting player i have ever seen. He makes the game fun. Very envious because i honestly thought he was staying in Texas. Alot of dissappointed Cowboys and Texan fans.

On a side note, i think he should sit the first year. Calm the hype down a little, let him mature and learn. Romo sat for 3 seasons before his first start. Keep building the pieces around him.

Aren't all Cowboy fans disgruntled?

Bottom line guys...Either one will make us a winner. Hoyer will most likely take better care of the football but Johnny won't go out and wreck the game. Johnny would most likely make the game more interesting. Either way we'll sneak up on some teams...punish others that we should (Shout out to Cincy, Pitt, and Ratbirds)...and get to watch some football past the first week of January.

WW I hope you're right. I hoped you were wrong that they would pick JFF. But they did, so I'm all in for JFF to turn this team into a winner. But I believe Hoyer starts...and I'm ok with that. If Hoyer proves he's the best guy, and we win with JFF holding a clipboard, I'm just fine with that too.

I would take any 80's - Early 90's QB over any of the guys coming in the last 10 years. The mentality of the game has changed considerably. It's all about "Me" and not the "team". There are still a few coming out that appear to be about the "team", but it is becoming less and less of a concept. Most of these kids, as soon as they here their name in that first round, are thinking about their image, their product, and their marketability.

He looks like a fucking elf, I can't take him seriously. He did buy shots for people, that's a plus. Though he smiles like my dog does after he has eaten cat shit. I vote for Axle's son with Vince in second.

...And please don't refer to him as Elvis unless you want to find him dead in a bathroom with 8 boxes of fudgesicles, 10 lbs of fried chicken, and a dozen half eaten bananas fully knowing he was masturbating and crying at the time of expiration. Elvis was a phony and a sham, don't toss the elf into that category just yet.

Ha...perfect timing with the return of the Brownie as mascot. I forsee Brownie t-shirts with JF's face being made and sold on the streets of Cleveland...

I am sick of all the "HE IS GOD".. "NO HE SUCKS" posts. So I thought I would start an unbiased thread. Show me where he is bad and makes bad decisions. Or show me how great he is.

I will start with a link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAA7U5YZSY

I have watched the first 5 minutes of this game.. This is a 2013 bowl game between Texas A&M and OK... First 6 snaps with Manziel at QB.

1st snap, designed run play I think to get everyone back in the game, having been away from football for several weeks. Gains 5

2nd snap hand off run play, stuffed for only 2 yards.

3rd snap.. Pure Manziel.. What I liked is that he STOOD IN THE POCKET and checked down 3 receivers before having to bail and run

He got an easy first down.

4th snap. Hand off and great run

5th snap. Hand off and great run...

The whole sequence was done in a 2 minute style offense that resulted in OK having to use a Timeout WITH ONLY 2 MINUTES off the clock in the 1st quarter.....

That is the type of fast past, quick thinking QB we need.... I don't know who wins this game so don't spoil it for me, I am going back to watch the rest... I will stop back in with more critiques..

BobPound!

Ok. watched the end of the first possession of this game. First play is a stuffed run... 2nd is a Designed pass play. He patiently checks down about 2 receivers was working on the 3rd when he was forced to scramble. Most QB's, this results in a throw away pass or a sack.. He rolls left and outruns everyone to the edge and instead of running out or sliding, he makes a nice move to tip toe to the end zone.

TD.

Bobpound!

I tell you what I see that I don't like so far, the run plays seem to be designed for him to lower his shoulder in to the oncoming LBs. Not saying that we're going to run the same thing - I doubt we will - but much like a RB coming out of college he's taken a lot of hits.

I agree Chris.. That designed run play off the bat, was kind of stupid. He took a good lick though and popped right up..

Watched the 2nd possession... End with a punt, but a good possession.

What I liked on this set of downs was that he stayed in the pocket as long as he could. I watched him going through processions to at least 2nd and even 3rd receiver on one of the downs..

He threw two over the top passes, over shot the first one pretty bad.. The 2nd was actually a great pass, but the CB got away with pretty blatant interference..

I liked his inside throws to Evans..

Ends with him doing the Johnny Football thing.. Jumped off his back foot to toss to the open man..

What I liked about the end of this play(and a few others before), is the reaction of the receivers when they meet the first tacklers.. THEY TRY HARD not to go down.. this is an intangible in my opinion.. they see how hard the QB worked to get them that ball and they are a few yards short of the first down, and they seem to be trying harder......

BobPound!

3rd possession.

Some nice throws, slant to Evan's hit him in stride. Perfect throw.

Tries to go back to the well and this is the first hint of his Height being an issue.. Lineman doesn't even have to jump, just puts his hand up and blocks the slant pass.. I can imagine how much taller the line will be in the NFL for him... He seems to avoid throwing the inside slants and posts so far.. This is likely because of his inability to easily see robbers waiting to jump the route.

His release is fast though.. Like lightning fast... He doesn't have a clear wind up like some big bomb throwers.. I also like the play action he uses.. Very tricky... Fakes twice to the RB and then lightning fast release to Evans.

What is also underrated for Manziel, is his ability to work out of the fast paced two minute drill ALL THE TIME.. And he has made at least 2 or 3 complex audibles at the line.. This is why working from the 2 minute is so great, especially with a smart QB.. They have the time to reset the line and the RB's and communicate the change to the WR's....

Next 3 plays are very nice, Fast throws and accurate and catches the receivers in stride which is so damn important in the NFL.. You cannot teach that. Either you have an eye for hitting things where THEY WILL BE, not where they are..

THEN JOHNNY FOOTBALL again.. I do not like this decision on the part of Manziel and this is where he will get massacred in the NFL, but the end result is fucking awesome... Runs for about 30 while avoiding half the defense.. But a BAD BAD decision.... It was a designed pass play I believe but he saw the hole in front of him and pulled the ball down and ran.. BAD.. Those holes are always in front of NFL QB's.. And guess what.. THEY CLOSE FAST and he will get creamed if he tries that against Pittsburg..

AND BANG there it is.. Why his "Johnny Football" antics are going to be big trouble for him in the NFL..... They get the ball to the 5 yard line and they start bringing blitzes from different angles.. First time he makes the right choice, stands in the pocket and throws threw the end zone for an incomplete pass, no chance for an interception.

Defense does the same thing, blitzes two from the outside.. He sees the first on his right and does the JF thing and rolls back to the right.. OMFG another Blitzer!!!! JOHNNY FOOTBALL TO THE RESCUE!! Throws an interception in the end zone.... Horrible decision making.

BobPound!

If it's a real report, it's stupid, shallow, just like lumpbardi is.

I wasn't a Manziel fan, but the more you look at him and the reports the

Browns got when they actually did serious research about him...

he's the real deal. Quirky, but growing up. Extremely intelligent, great heart,

seems to have outstanding peripheral vision, instincts, elusive, a lot more arm

than I gave him credit for, tough, competitive, LOVES the game....wants to WIN.

but Canton Mike said all that before the draft, so I still "hate" Manziel for the fun of it....

Next possession was a blur... Nice trick play that I still don't know how he got the ball to Evan's like that.. Weird release.. But gains 30.. Fast paced 3 plays get him to the 5 yard line.

Very nice play action and sweeps seamlessly to the left, realizes no one is shadowing him and a walk in TD.

If the Defender had released to go after him, it was still a TD likely on a throw....

BobPound!

top of the 3rd quarter.

First two throws to Swope(BTW anyone know if he got drafted and by whom? He is a good receiver).. Especially liked the touch throw across his body to the left as he goes out of bounds Very nice throws.

Next play is I think where the Maziel haters hang their hat.. But I have to wonder.... OK brings a safety or CB on a clean blitz, no one between the blitzer and the QB...

How does this end for most QB's? How does it end for Weedon nearly every time last year? Sack? Throw away to the side lines.. Bad decision throw into traffic and a pick(which is exactly what this play is designed to do.. Cause the QB to throw to the hot receiver where a robber is waiting to jump the route!!).... Manziel does something only he and a handful of other NFL QB's can do... Out run a CB or Safety to the edge..Result is an easy first down.

Next few plays aren't the best calls from an NFL point of view.. Several designed QB runs capped by an Option toss to the HB for a TD!

The option works here because of the credible threat of Manziel running.. The Linebacker bites and the HB makes the edge and scores.

BobPound!