THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid has got something we haven't seen in a while. Winslow had it but was a douche and look at him now. Just scared of getting him and the kid does something really stupid off the field.

If they pick him we need to give him a very fair shot...hes younger than weeden.but I think right now hes better than weeden or campbell. healthier than Hoyer.

I think he has the most potential of any QB coming out this year.If seen bridgewater look pretty bad at times.Ive never seen johnney look bad...

Hes got an NFL arm...surround him ith good O line and a running back...and another good WR and this will be a team that can score.It may take a couple or three or four years to get the pieces in place...but Im convinced with good surrounding cast he can be a franchise QB

We just can throw him overboard if he gets off to a rocky start.Cam Newtons had three years.Eli got a few.RG3 is getting years.They gotta give him time

I promise hed do good as geno smith!

And his touch on the short and midrange passes is great.How many times did you see Campbell throw it so hard it bounced of the TE or WR pads or weeden throw it 5 yards short on a simple out or bubble screen. Weeden or Campbells touchon shorts passes isn't in the same universe as Mr feetballs

LBC Mike, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. For one thing, I've got nothing against Manziel, and I'll be kind of excited to see what he can do in NFL, regardless of where he goes. For another thing, I never wish anything but good for Browns picks, even when I don't agree with them being picked (Weeden). I have a few minor concerns about how Manziel's size and style of play will end up translating to the NFL game, but I'll be really happy if we take him and he's great. I'm not against Manziel at all. I just like to try to keep a realistic perspective when it comes to talking about how college players (especially scrambling QBs and power RBs) will do in the NFL. It's not about Manziel specifically. I'd be trying to temper any conversation about how great any college QB might be next year in Cleveland.

i like manziel as an innovator when plays break down but he sure as hell didn't look good playing duke (duke, football really?) in the 1st half of their bowl game.

my concern for him like many have said before me is when a guy like orakapo get's a hold of him and drives him 2 feet into the ground and the dude will never be the same.

That is THE concern.Hes gonna have to be taught to get down and run outa bounds. He will not be able to rely on the run like he does at times at A &M. He needs to be taught to run on plays with no one open and its falling apart...get down or out and live to play another play.

this needs to be drilled in his head

I want to like him, but 1: That Rah Rah bullshit doesn't work with grown ass men in the NFL and 2. his size concerns me, not from a performance angle, but from an injury angle.

Brees is the only little guy I see staying healthy, and he gets rid of the ball and never runs unless he has to.

Zombo

That is THE concern.Hes gonna have to be taught to get down and run outa bounds. He will not be able to rely on the run like he does at times at A &M. He needs to be taught to run on plays with no one open and its falling apart...get down or out and live to play another play.

this needs to be drilled in his head

Doesn't sound encouraging. "Johnny, listen. Run like hell only when it's absolutely necessary and don't ever get hit. Slide or get out of bounds in a hurry because these NFL defensive players will kill you."

Conner Shaw. He'll be at the combine. Expect him to climb the ranks for Manziel fans.

AS in, Manziel may stay in school? well, I'd take Conner anyways, and draft another

position with that first pick. And you won't believe the Walter football-Chud fired info.

Why Manziel, when you can nab Conner Shaw? Who doesn't have the Broadway persona

and all?

I'll bet you I could draft Conner Shaw with the second round pick,

and he'd make believers out of Manziel fans.

This NFL draft combine should really be amazing, there could be a whole

lot of shaking going on.

A Walter Football mock draft posted in early January contained the following information regarding the Browns potentially taking a flier on Johnny Football: "Reports have trickled out that the Browns are smitten with Johnny Manziel, and they fired their coach because (Rob) Chudzinski didn't like the Texas A&M product very much." There have been whispers among those who cover the Browns that team owner Jimmy Haslam is a big Manziel fan.

Really.

Reasons? It would have been a 6th round before this last season.

Predictions changed halfway through it, to 5th.

Now, after this season is over, you watch him and Garapolo at the combine.

I'm always looking for that Brian Sipe, Joe Montana, Bernie Kosar, Bill Nelson, Johnny Unitas kind of kid.

I'm not impressed by hype. Guys like Ryan Leaf and Eli Manning, and plenty of others get the hype.

Doesn't mean they can be successful when stepping up into the NFL and going to war with his offense around him.

Just watch Shaw's rank improve at the combine.

So, here's a question for you, Woody. What does Shaw not have, that Manziel, a projected high first round pick, have?

(and what does Shaw have, that Manziel....doesn't......)

I project Shaw as climbing into the third round, maybe second round, after the combine.

Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina: The jury remains out on Shaw’s potential as an NFL prospect — the safe bet is that he’s a Day 3 project pick by some team able to spend a little time guiding a rookie quarterback. Shaw simply continues to produce this season, though, and gets those SEC-competition bonus points. He had three TD passes in a win over Arkansas on Saturday, giving him 10 touchdowns and no interceptions this season.

Two more pluses for teams that may consider the Gamecock: Shaw can beat defenses with his feet (53.1 yards rushing per game in 2013) and he’s tough as nails.

Jimmy Garappolo, QB, Eastern Illinois: This has more to do with the buzz growing around Garappolo than anything. The small-school senior entered the season as a draft sleeper, but he’s going to be plenty known by the time we reach the pre-draft “bowl” games and the combine. He fired five TDs to no interceptions last Thursday, in a 63-7 rout of Austin Peay. The level of competition Garappolo is facing will be a concern for some front offices, but his quick-footed pass release and ability to roll through progressions will keep him on a lot of draft boards.

Renner played at North Carolina 4 years

Comp.% yds. TD INT. Rating

Renner 66 8221 64 25 151.2

Shaw 64 5762 53 16 153.2

Fairly close Renner could be had in 7th round or FA.

Renner plays in a wide open 5 WR spread O we need a Pro Style QB

Should Johney be given any credit for playing in the SEC? Should bortles be scrutenized for playing in Con USA?

Theres no comparison between the two...

There are a lot of NFL players on SEC defenses.

They didn't play a whole lot of defense in the SEC this year.

Archived