THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New here as well, I can tell you that the number of Brown's fans in Texas has exploded in the last 12 hours.

A few things on Johnny as someone that has watched him since HS, most of which people don't realize:

He is very smart. Johnny had the highest Wonderlic score of the prospect QB's and he was in A&M's highly ranked B School prior to his Heisman with a high GPA. This isn't some athlete that just gets it done on physical skills, he learns quickly and is a student of the game.

Every year Johnny has become less of a freewheeler. In HS his offense was basically "give the ball to Johnny and let him improvise" and he took a team with virtually nothing around him deep in the playoffs until they lost to the eventual state champs in a shootout. He started that way at A&M but after working with George Whitfield after his RS year he has become much stronger fundamentally and less of a runner every year.

He's barely 21 years old. He is not a finished product by any means.

He's a great team guy. All of his teammates love him and would take a bullet for him. He is in early and out late and is obsessed with football and winning. He ALWAYS credits his teammates and pumps them up. The media talks about him but Johnny doesn't, notice after he was picked last night he wanted to talk about his teammates that were picked before him and how happy he was for them.

He is probably the most confident person on the face of the planet. Many think he must be cocky but in reality he is just very comfortable in his own skin and very confident in his abilities. He does his thing and he isn't doing it to impress others, he just does what he wants. Still at the same time he is surprisingly humble and he understands that football is still a game. I've never seen anyone quite like him, he is truly one of a kind in terms of personality.

He has a deep affection for kids, especially sick or disabled kids. He wears a "Charley's Angels" bracelet for a kid with cancer that went to the draft with him (he is the one he was hugging in the maroon Aggie shirt as he walked off). He got to know Charley before he even had the starting job at A&M as well so it isn't a show.

Everyone watches the highlights of his crazy plays but he actually stays in the pocket and slices up offenses most of the time. He actually had the best pocket completion % of any FBS QB last year at over 70%. He just also can throw really well on the run and puts immense pressure on a defense because they can never know what he might do.

Johnny was a legit prospect at baseball as well. What is unusual though is he was a shortstop, not a pitcher like most QB's. That's part of the reason he can make so many off balance throws and can throw against his body so well, it's something he did in baseball all his life.

Despite being under 6' Johnny can do a 360 dunk with a basketball.

The 2 games that most detractors point to for Johnny are the LSU and Missouri games this year. What is less spoken about is Johnny had a fractured thumb he was trying to play through in those games and it greatly affected his accuracy. He broke it hitting a helmet in the Auburn game on a throw in the pocket btw, a freak injury. Trying to keep him off the field though is not easy, he is insanely competitive.

Johnny is more quick than fast and really elusive. He's got good speed but he isn't like RGIII. Johnny seems to have a 6th sense to pressure though and he will absolutely juke people silly. He has incredible balance and is much stronger than most realize. He's hard to hit and the main focus will be more on getting him to not go for the extra yard than anything else. Johnny also has an incredible sense of where his receivers are at all times and he will boggle your mind with how he seems to find a receiver on the other side of the field that he didn't even look that way until he threw the ball. The game just moves at a different speed for him.

The biggest negative on Johnny going to Cleveland imo is he tends to not do as well in bad weather as the LSU and Missouri games this year were also cold and rainy. That said, he also set what was at the time the SEC Total Offense record (which he later broke) in the rain against Arkansas as a Freshman. He will need to adjust some and the groundskeepers in Cleveland need to do all they can to keep the field in top shape.

It was terrible, as an Aggie, to watch it all be about Manziel... I mean, the day after we beat Alabama at their house, all you heard about was Johnny. As an Aggie fan it was one of the most depressing days of my life. So, so sad.

c'mon man. just cuz we picked a rookie QB doesn't mean he has to start. i don't think anyone in this whole mock or insider knowledge of players think that anyone of these QBs will go right in and be the opening day starter.

can we at least wait until TC and preseason is over to discuss this?

you didn't just take a rookie QB.

you took Johnny Manziel in the first round. My logic could be wrong, but it is a logical opinion. I don't think you take Johnny there unless you expect him to be your guy. So much so, that I imagine Hoyer is on the trading block right now.

Congratulations on the picks. I hope Gilbert is the best corner in the draft and here's hoping that Johnny can be the guy you are looking for. I wonder how many new Browns fans came on board but I'm excited for him playing for such a passionate fan base.

you didn't just take a rookie QB.

you took Johnny Manziel in the first round. My logic could be wrong, but it is a logical opinion. I don't think you take Johnny there unless you expect him to be your guy. So much so, that I imagine Hoyer is on the trading block right now.

There's no way that Hoyer is on the trading block at this point.

And, yes, Manziel is JUST a rookie QB at this point. He has a lot to prove before he becomes anything otherwise than that.

No one thought it would work with Drew Brees or Russell Wilson because they were too short. Maybe it won't work with Manziel, no one knows at this point but I'm willing to roll the dice and see how it turns out. Like someone else said, he was essentially a free pick since we raped Indy for a first round pick for an average RB.

ok, bro,.. Johnny is a JAG. ok... nothing different, just another rookie QB :wacko:

At this point....he is just another guy. He's still a rookie and has proven nothing at this level other than he's very polarizing with the media and fans. He's the same circus that follows Tebow, only difference is that a lot of people actually think that Manziel can play at this level as opposed to most who thought that Tebow was not going to be able to be a NFL QB.

At this point....he is just another guy. He's still a rookie and has proven nothing at this level other than he's very polarizing with the media and fans. He's the same circus that follows Tebow, only difference is that a lot of people actually think that Manziel can play at this level as opposed to most who thought that Tebow was not going to be able to be a NFL QB.

Exactly. He could bust just as easily as he could boom.

TXDawg, so far your only argument is "he won the starting job as a freshman". I fail to see how that immediately correlates to NFL success and becoming the "Greatest of All-Time" as you suggest.

Never really saw what was so great about about the kid. I'm a believer that Evans helped bail him out of a lot of shit. But i guess throwing Jump Balls (ala Joe Flacco) can win you the superbowl. Just gotta get enough PI calls.

OH well! He's a Brown and i'm 100% rooting for the kid. I just think he should sit and learn before throwing him into the fire.

ok, he won the starting job as a freshman?

true.. but i think I was leaning on this a bit more:

he won the Heisman as a freshman. he broke Cam Newton's All purpose yards in a season in 2 less games as a freshman. he led A&M to their first 11 win season in decades as a freshman.

How does this translate to immediate success? It doesn't.

What it does is say that he needs to be coddled or treated like just someone who hasn't been through something similar before. It's proven immediate success.

I've said before he could be a bust or a GOAT. I, nor do you,know which it will be.

To say Johnny is no different from any other rookie is ridiculous. What other rookie has had to put up with that much scrutiny, attention in history? None. Some might come close but the answer is none... Actually if you don't understand what I'm talking about when i say Johnny is different and is not just another rookie,... making a spit bubble with my mouth would be more productive at this point.

ok, he won the starting job as a freshman?

true.. but i think I was leaning on this a bit more:

he won the Heisman as a freshman. he broke Cam Newton's All purpose yards in a season in 2 less games as a freshman. he led A&M to their first 11 win season in decades as a freshman.

How does this translate to immediate success? It doesn't.

What it does is say that he needs to be coddled or treated like just someone who hasn't been through something similar before. It's proven immediate success.

I've said before he could be a bust or a GOAT. I, nor do you,know which it will be.

To say Johnny is no different from any other rookie is ridiculous. What other rookie has had to put up with that much scrutiny, attention in history? None. Some might come close but the answer is none... Actually if you don't understand what I'm talking about when i say Johnny is different and is not just another rookie,... making a spit bubble with my mouth would be more productive at this point.

I can't say that I would want any player on the Browns to be coddled or treated differently. If he proves he can play, he plays. Just put the best QB on the field, regardless of who they are.

The Evans take has been thoroughly debunked.

IMO, what makes Johnny great is:

• instincts
  • amazing accuracy when throwing on the run
  • intelligence. Manziel on 1st and 2nd down. JFF on 3rd down. (A&M lead the nation in 3rd down conversion)
  • ability to perform under pressure, plays better in bigger moments.
  • weird perfect body. big hands, big feet. control ball, good balance. can throw over lineman but secondary can't see him as well (short works both ways)
  • never missed a game because of injury
  • elevates others around him
  • strong arm
  • well, now i would just be listed athleticism and NFL QB expected traits

utzie, my shirt is untucked... does that bother you?

people are different. to get the most out of people, they should be treated differently. there are different needs and responsibilities. from your statement, you want the 2nd string kicker to be treated the same as the starting QB. While that sounds nice and cuddly, it's simply not realistic.

more attention is going to be put on the starting QB than the 2nd string kicker. the starting QB is probably going to get more reps at practice than the 4th string scout team QB.

in regards to "special" privileges or preferences, the old school mentality of my way or the highway, you're all my pee-on foot soldiers ranked the same, is dead. If that's the direction the staff wants to go, well, it won't really matter who plays QB and draft day will continue to be the biggest day of the year for the franchise.

Players are treated differently, and they should be.

Archived