THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

45 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I worked in psych and corrections for 10 years. Saying that bipolar and borderline are overdiagnosed is not the same as claiming autism is caused by vaccines. Did the subject hit a little close to home?

No, I'll just tend to trust medical doctors and their opinions on patients. Crazy concept right?

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jrb12711 said:

No, I'll just tend to trust medical doctors and their opinions on patients. Crazy concept right?

Or we can go back hundreds of years in THIS country and declare people witches and burn them at the stake -or- put them under wooden planks and pile heavy rocks on them to "squeeze out the demons"......generally the "patients" died in either case......

........I think there are some that would like to practice that now in 2018.

41 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Or we can go back hundreds of years in THIS country and declare people witches and burn them at the stake -or- put them under wooden planks and pile heavy rocks on them to "squeeze out the demons"......generally the "patients" died in either case......

46 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Don't forget about reading something on Facebook from "crazy mom doctor's blog" that CONFIRMS all doctors are quacks!

Just now, jrb12711 said:

Don't forget about reading something on Facebook from "crazy mom doctor's blog" that CONFIRMS all doctors are quacks!

She must be crazy........"diagnosistically speaking". :lol:

Oh yeah FB, where experts go to check if their years of research are correct. 

31-Life-Changing-Lessons-to-Learn-from-Albert-Einstein.jpg

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He needs to sign for whatever he can with the Tiger Cats.....and see is he can even put one foot in front of another on a football field before he starts worrying about getting back into the NFL.

The only thing JM really has going for him is that he's a quarterback and the NFL is short on experienced quarterbacks -plus- the NFL quarterback position is super over inflated in the QB money machine salary department. 

Last year ATL QB Matt Ryan made more than every CFL player COMBINED! Big difference going up north to play.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The only thing JM really has going for him is that he's a quarterback and the NFL is short on experienced quarterbacks -plus- the NFL quarterback position is super over inflated in the QB money machine salary department. 

Last year ATL QB Matt Ryan made more than every CFL player COMBINED! Big difference going up north to play.

The best thing  see going for him as a professional who spent a career working with people with bipolar disorder often self medicated with drugs and/or alcohol, is the insight he displays realizing that the only thing standing between him and that change  is the medication he needs to continue however "well" he may think he is. Biggest risk for this disorder is that meds work and the newly diagnosed/treated think they are now just fine and stop the meds. Big mistake. He seems to understand that he needs those medications to have a normal life. That is a major factor in remaining "well" and functioning at an optimal level no matter what he does in life. Good for him! Some folks take a series of failures before they can say what he is saying in that interview.

I placed my opinion on the other thread. Good for JM. The insight that is absolutely necessary for continued wellness is evident in the interview. He's obviously gotten help looking squarely in the mirror and sees that only continued medication compliance will help him maintain this change. Real insight is the most important factor in making it a permanent change for the better. My $.02 worth as a pro in the field for 30+ years career.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

He needs to sign for whatever he can with the Tiger Cats.....and see is he can even put one foot in front of another on a football field before he starts worrying about getting back into the NFL.

Totally agree Gip. He needs to prove he can keep his act together for a year in Canada before an NFL team will touch him. 

Don't know anything about it - but I hope he has a great rest of his life. What he was saying wasn't contrived -

it was sincere - must hurt him a lot.  He'll need help getting on track.

4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Not all docs are created equal and not all docs have their heart in their right place ($$$). Someone without a diagnosis can't be treated and have it charged to medicaid.

Yes, there are corrupt doctors. But you know what? There's corrupt everyone, everywhere. By the logic you're using we should never trust anyone, anytime who can be influenced at face value. Also, did you not watch the Manziel trainwreck? Is it really that hard to believe he had a diagnosed mental illness based on the dozens of examples on and off the field?

I think bi-polar is just an excuse to label something.... My Best Friend was 10x's the drunkard and drug addict than either Manziel or Gordon was.. He's been sober now since 1997,My father always told me something about people and addiction..You'll only quit when your ready. Theres no drug program or medicine that will cure you from addiction... I've been to rehab... I'll be the first to tell you, its a money making crock of Sheet... You wouldnt believe some of the cowpoop they sling in those sessions.. it's downright laughable.. Glenbeigh is a total fraud...

9 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Usually the go-to diagnosis if you are a jerk off and your psych doc can't tell you that you are just a jerk off.

lol.  I love that one.  

......Billy....

47 minutes ago, nickers said:

I think bi-polar is just an excuse to label something....

I've personally known a few people with bipolar the worst cases can be devastating. One very nice cute girl who grew up  on our street, it was so sad as she slipped deeper into it.

Now I'm not talking about slackers looking for free food stamps and don't like to work....screw them.

53 minutes ago, nickers said:

I think bi-polar is just an excuse to label something.... My Best Friend was 10x's the drunkard and drug addict than either Manziel or Gordon was.. He's been sober now since 1997,My father always told me something about people and addiction..You'll only quit when your ready. Theres no drug program or medicine that will cure you from addiction... I've been to rehab... I'll be the first to tell you, its a money making crock of Sheet... You wouldnt believe some of the cowpoop they sling in those sessions.. it's downright laughable.. Glenbeigh is a total fraud...

I respect your opinion but you and I are polar opposites regarding rehab. Rehab and 12 step based follow up was very effective for me. It saved my life no question. I've been sober for 28 years and counting God willing. I do agree with your father in that no one "quits" if they aren't ready. 

10 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Over diagnosed garbage. Usually the go-to diagnosis if you are a jerk off and your psych doc can't tell you that you are just a jerk off. He probably got a borderline personality designation as well.

I think you are likely right it tends to be over diagonosed. Having said that for those where the diagnosis is valid it's a crippling disease. I've seen it literally suck the life out of two different beautiful vibrant human beings. Both self medicated like crazy and neither have stayed on their meds long term. The manic phase of the disease itself can be quite addictive. So much so they give up the meds and take the lows just to get the manic phase as well. 

Just now, jcam222 said:

I think you are likely right it tends to be over diagonosed. Having said that for those where the diagnosis is valid it's a crippling disease. I've seen it literally suck the life out of two different beautiful vibrant human beings. Both self medicated like crazy and neither have stayed on their meds long term. The manic phase of the disease itself can be quite addictive. So much so they give up the meds and take the lows just to get the manic phase as well. 

My friend used to cut my hair in a salon in the family basement, absolutely beautiful person until she got strangly sick. After awhile her mother said don't even bother coming over......I'd drive by and she'd be sitting alone in their driveway.

Slackers? Fakes? Really?  Be careful with big broad labels.

7 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I respect your opinion but you and I are polar opposites regarding rehab. Rehab and 12 step based follow up was very effective for me. It saved my life no question. I've been sober for 28 years and counting God willing. I do agree with your father in that no one "quits" if they aren't ready. 

The bottom line was.. "You made a choice".. The "Choice" is ultimately yours.. Not the program or the counselors.. No one or thing can make you do something you have no desire to do.. Unless a gun is pointed at your head... I did My share of hard drugs.. I didnt need rehab to quit.. I made a choice to live...

Just now, nickers said:

The bottom line was.. "You made a choice".. The "Choice" is ultimately yours.. Not the program or the counselors.. No one or thing can make you do something you have no desire to do.. Unless a gun is pointed at your head... I did My share of hard drugs.. I didnt need rehab to quit.. I made a choice to live...

Doing drugs or other behaviors may or may not be a diagnosed medical condition, bipolar as I know it is not a choice like schizopherinia and others can be serious and dangerous chemical imbalances in the brain.

Oh I am by no means a doctor or medical person.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And at whatever mimimalist salary they would give him.

Not really so minimalist, well for us working stiffs, JM had two years in so I believe it's a somewhat livable payday for him.

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $465,000 for a rookie in 2017. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

Yrs. 2017 2018 2019
0 $465,000 $480,000 $495,000
1 $540,000 $555,000 $570,000
2 $615,000 $630,000 $645,000
3 $690,000 $705,000 $720,000
4-6 $775,000 $790,000 $805,000
7-9 $900,000 $915,000 $930,000
10+ $1,000,000 $1,015,000 $1,030,000

Archived