THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made it throught the first one. I'll give it a not bad. I mostly concerned myself with the instrumentation though. Real drums, sounds like it. Do you play everything yourself?

Yes, it's all real, and I play/sing it all. No canned drums here! I have a very modest recording setup in my basement, ready to go at all times. I unexpectedly had the day off yesterday, so I decided to put this together. It took about 6 hours from initial concept to being posted on the Internet.

I'd imagine that if the members of this forum were to come together on the lyrics, we could put together a much more hilarious parody. Words are not really my strong suit.

hoorta-I see you ventured over here. LOL!

My one and only concern is that a 4 game trial after almost no 1's practice time is totally unfair to JF, especially considering the schedule. That is a GM's recipe for disaster for the team and the player. Let BH finish out the season and if he screws the pooch make it clear from day one next year that JF is the new QB and give him all the reps with a good long stint in the position. If Brian does well and the team finishes reasonably, then he keeps his job and the Browns have a QB. To get it back for another year because a rook can't produce under the worst 4 game scenario is a foolish concession to fan pressure and certainly a ridiculous way to plan next year's potential drafting of the next Cleveland QB savior.

Hmm, if Pettine thinks JFF is ready- he ready. Mike will be the last guy in the world to cave into fan pressure. As Buddy Ryan said- "ain't no Coastal Carolinas in the NFL." I think you can realize in this crazy year- anybody can beat anybody.

As I posted in the Stocky got canned thread- Hoyer's situational stats are pretty good. But- if you're going to make the switch- now is the time. If you want to make the playoffs- you had better be able to beat the best.

There is no way this move is being made due to fan pressure....not a chance.

And there is no way we will make a long term decision on JFF, based only upon the next four games. Not a chance(again)

He will get the same consideration Hoyer got, if not more. At least a full season, Id guess. So...next four games, if he gets them, are just an attempt to keep winning and a sure indication that the coach(es) have lost confidence in BH....

Do I sense some fear that JFF isn't gonna be the man you've been ranting about for 8 months now? Lining up the excuses just in case?

:)

From Mary Kay's article this is a quite interesting take on JF AND Shaw:

Quote:

Winn has practiced a lot against both Manziel and practice squad quarterback Connor Shaw, who run the scout and simulate the opposing team's quarterbacks. Manziel has admitted he'll sometimes go off script and improvise like he does in a game.

"Both of those guys, they're definitely ready,'' said Winn. "If they have to step up and play in a game, they know the playbook, they know their checks, their audibles, they know everything they need to do. They're really smart guys and they're professionals, otherwise they wouldn't be in this business.''

He said he's (Manziel) gotten better each week in practice despite sitting for eight straight games.

"When he's here in the building, it's all business with him,'' said Winn. "Johnny keeps his head down, keeps his nose clean and he does what he needs to do as a quarterback. He's really involved.''

As a defensive linemen, Winn has seen first-hand what the fleet-footed, nimble Manziel can do to a defense.

"It makes you hesitate because the kid can take off and go,'' said Winn. "He can fly. Johnny can fly. It's exciting. He's definitely an exciting guy to watch.

"You never know what he's going to do. You want a quarterback that can stay in the pocket and put it where it needs to be, but he's one of these guys that if his read's not there, he's going to take off and pick up what he can get.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a side note to the above quote is that one thing I have seen every game he ever played in is that when he takes off he is always still looking over the entire field until he either hits the LOS or he sees he can make the first down on his own to move the sticks. One of the best I ever saw who can throw like a shortstop running full speed to his off hand (left).

And I'm not thrilled with the decision either way. I'm certainly disappointed that Brian Hoyer hasn't been better, but I don't want to see Johnny fail either.

It would be a lot easier if brian had been from California. Still I don't expect miracles from Johnny. Regardless of his upside skill brains or anything else he's still a rookie and if he starts he will be leading a team into its toughest part of the schedule.

WSS

Yeah this Manziel breathes new life into the Browns isn't going to be the answer to continued success. He has to sustain it. They said the same thing about Hoyer last year when they pulled Weeden and leaped-frogged Campbell. I think Josh Gordon called him "more scrappy" or some such after their first win with Hoyer.

If they start Manziel, I want the JFF fanboys to be RIGHT. Let's see that proclaimed magic, and roll 4 more wins to take the division. You can all tell me "I told you so" a thousand times and I'll be just fine with that.

"We just figure, as receivers, we have to work more," Benjamin said. "If Johnny comes in the huddle and he pronounces the play wrong, we've got to make sure we correct it. We've got to make sure we correct him. Offensive linemen, tight ends, all the receivers, all the running backs, we've just got to make sure we've got to be in form when he's in the game."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/manziel-might--pronounce--play-wrong--but-browns-would-have-his-back-131913516.html

Now that's a problem....i thought he's a smart dude? It's focking DECEMBER already and he still doesn't know his play book?

Johnny's Evaluation on NFL.com:

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns, No. 22 overall

SEASON ANALYSIS

DJ: He's played less than a quarter of regular-season football, but he's already generated plenty of excitement. Manziel can accurately throw while rolling to both sides, and he is a threat as a runner when the play breaks down. His field vision and ball placement are inconsistent. Season grade: Incomplete

BB: Manziel hadn't seen much time on the field -- outside of an occasional gadget play -- before the Browns turned to him in the fourth quarter of Sunday's matchup with the Buffalo Bills. The diminutive playmaker immediately sparked the offense with his energy, athleticism and improvisational skills, calmly connecting on a handful of play-action and movement-based passes before scoring on a sensational 10-yard run that showcased his speed and burst on the perimeter. Although he benefitted from a questionable call that overturned what would have been a strip-sack fumble, Manziel's poise and confidence stood out. Season grade: Incomplete

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

DJ: He needs to be more patient in the pocket and improve his vision down the field.

BB: Manziel's NFL résumé is too short to provide much specificity here, but it goes without saying that he must learn to operate from the pocket and rely more on his arm than his legs to make plays on the perimeter. While his athleticism and improvisational skills will make him a nightmare to defend, it is hard to build a successful game plan solely around an off-the-cuff playground-style approach. If Manziel can keep his wild forays in check, he could take the Browns' offense to the next level.

LONG-TERM PROSPECTS

DJ: Manziel is the ultimate wild card. With the young talent around him at the offensive skill positions in Cleveland, I think he can be successful as the Browns' starter, provided he protects himself better when he runs the ball.

BB: The NFL hasn't been kind to small, run-around quarterbacks, and it's hard to endorse Manziel as a long-term solution until he puts enough plays on tape. It'll be easy to get caught up in the spectacular moments he'll inevitably provide, but he must prove he can move the team from the pocket. If Brownscoach Mike Pettine makes Manziel the starter for the rest of the season, we should find out if his sandlot playing style can lead to success at this leve

An analysis???

Mudfly-not afraid of his long term skills, just afraid of how quickly the Browns have given up on QB's in the past.

Who exactly have we given up on prematurely?

Since we rose in '99 we have invested seriously in 4 picks: Couch, Quinn, Weeden and now, JM. The only one of these you might argue we did not gave ample opportunity to succeed is now out of the league... twice. Only for JM is the story not yet written.

Other candidates were longshots picks we either chose or came by who did not pan out. Only DA came tantalizingly close for one season to being our dream date.

The remainder were retreads that either came to us from prefect or far better situations, or were on their last legs and somehow that fact escaped us.

Again, I ask... Who exactly have we given up on prematurely?

"We just figure, as receivers, we have to work more," Benjamin said. "If Johnny comes in the huddle and he pronounces the play wrong, we've got to make sure we correct it. We've got to make sure we correct him. Offensive linemen, tight ends, all the receivers, all the running backs, we've just got to make sure we've got to be in form when he's in the game."

Now that's a problem....i thought he's a smart dude? It's focking DECEMBER already and he still doesn't know his play book?

It's just a "pronounciation" issue...

You say tomayto and I say tomahto...

Bri says "play action" and John says "pluh axe-tin"

Let's call the whole thing off...

Johnny's Evaluation on NFL.com:

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns, No. 22 overall

It's a little silly they wrote an evaluation for a guy with 9 or so pass attempts.

We really gotta see him more. I fear he panics after the first read sometimes, and will roll out to escape non-existant pressure, or take off straight up the field. Sometimes he misses open guys because of it.

Otherwise I think he has good ball placement for the most part, good accuracy, good arm strength. Field vision is somewhat up in the air, idk that he's done so well seeing an entire NFL field. On that Dr. Dray pass that was considered a "tight" window was more so a fact of JM didn't see the safety and got lucky he was a half a step slow to a pick - something that also happened to Hoyer yesterday (didn't get as lucky) - but all together Hoyer tends not to miss stuff like that

Other things JM does well: Good awareness in the pocket, good awareness when he does pull it down to run. Gotta prove that he can see and read an NFL field - being a "baller" just won't be enough.

I have a splinter under the fingernail of my left hand couldn't get it out and it got infected. Index finger. Made it really harder and harder to play the guitar. Tried pins tweezers etc but so sore I could barely touch it. Finally went to an urgent care facility where a Chinese doctor looked at it grabbed my hand stuck in the forceps grab it and yanked it out. Hurt like a bitch but only for a little bit. He looked at me and said "no guts, no glory."

Situation 2, did you ever take months and months dragging out a break up or a divorce?

Make of that what you will.

WSS

Angry Browns Fan has good lyrics but can't sing or perform. You have good sound, but lyrics kinda lacking IMO, as you readily admitted. I think you two need to combine forces.

Zombo

I'm open to the idea. I'd like to not bother with lyrics in general. When left up to me, lyrics usually end being about poop, boobs, getting drunk, etc.

My buddy at work just yelled across the hall that Hoyer is starting this week according to the pop up on his phone from Jay Glazer

Yep....I just heard it too......Hoyer....

For his sake(and ours), I hope he looks good......if not, the home crowd will get very rough....very fast

Finally went to an urgent care facility where a Chinese doctor looked at it grabbed my hand stuck in the forceps grab it and yanked it out. Hurt like a bitch but only for a little bit. He looked at me and said "no guts, no glory."

He probably said "no gats no gorry"

I didn't want to start a new thread, but looking over the two possessions by JM, he wasn't exactly helped out, was he? That pisses me off. First possession, Benji across the middle but off his finger tips. Maybe it was too far in front, but I expect a pro to dive for a ball like that. My coach would always say, if you can tip it, you can catch it. I didn't see 100% effort on that play. Second possession, second play, Drey on a hook pattern, JM hits him with a bullet and he drops it. Then on 4th down Austin's pattern is a yard short of the first down. He should know better than that. I know we keep focusing on the QB's but it's the rest of the the team that playing like shit. Fumble, wrong pattern, dropped balls, no running game in the second half. We need a better effort to make the playoffs.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but looking over the two possessions by JM, he wasn't exactly helped out, was he? That pisses me off. First possession, Benji across the middle but off his finger tips. Maybe it was too far in front, but I expect a pro to dive for a ball like that. My coach would always say, if you can tip it, you can catch it. I didn't see 100% effort on that play. Second possession, second play, Drey on a hook pattern, JM hits him with a bullet and he drops it. Then on 4th down Austin's pattern is a yard short of the first down. He should know better than that. I know we keep focusing on the QB's but it's the rest of the the team that playing like shit. Fumble, wrong pattern, dropped balls, no running game in the second half. We need a better effort to make the playoffs.

This stuff happens to hoyer too on every possession, all guys need to play better, including him.

Tour-I seem to recall Colt McCoy, the current starter in Wash. was once a Brown. I thought he had good long term potential but needed the kind of guidance that JM is now getting under Pettine. I thought he came in too early and left too soon with the Browns. As he has gotten older he has developed a stronger passing arm and is maturing as a QB who is reading defenses better now. Am I wrong?

PS- and starting Weeden as a rookie over McCoy was the kiss of death for Weeden, so now he is elsewhere as a backup. I was mostly thinking about the most recent 2 cases when I made that statement.

About the rest of the offense (and pass rush and punt returning and placekicking) stepping it up, yes, but it's also part of what happens when we're down to our 4th center, who's actually more a back-up tackle than center, 3rd and 4th TEs, rookie RBs and Josh Gordon's post-suspensions good and bad, which was the case for Hoyer's games last year, too. Even aside from injuries, which always happen to a degree, there were valid reasons why this was supposed to be another 10+ loss season and why we were going to see JFF by game 4.

I'll support and be excited with Hoyer or Manziel, but all that makes Hoyer at 7-5/9-5/10-5 at least respectable no matter how much credit/blame he should get (I prefer leaning toward credit considering the previous 15 years of QBs) and even you think JFF gives us the best shot to win now.

The make-up/injuries of the roster probably made Pettine more likely to stay with Hoyer because, like it or not, game managing, great defense, re-finding the +2, +3 turnover games and staying close enough for 1 or 2 more Hoyer comeback drives add up to our best shot for the next four games.

Archived