THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

It definitely isn't cut and dry. We have 4 critically important games to keep playing beyond December - Manziel is a risk to the season, but again what are your chances with a guy who has been playing well below average the past few weeks?

I'm suspecting Hoyer gets the call come Wednesday and people rage, but I think starting Sunday for Hoyer means he gets the half...Despite his early season 2nd half brilliance he probably won't be getting a chance to demonstrate that again if we fall behind and struggle to move the ball.

Id have no issues with hoyer having the first half to prove himself. Sink or swim buddy. Your last shot. Earn it.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Once-in-decade-talent" as a description for Manziel in college is easy to defend...

Too bad he no longer plays in college. Before you anoint him the greatest ever, maybe we better see how he plays in the NFL for say, oh I don't know, at least a quarter.

This Front Office has not shied away from making tough decisions so I do expect that JM will get the nod. Do you really think Hoyer can beat the colts? I don't. Manziel might not either but with his energy and spark, who knows for sure? It's a gamble but at least we get to see what we have in our rookie QB for next season. As I've said in earlier treads, I don't expect to see Hoyer playing for the Browns next year.

Here's the thing, we need points to beat the colts. Lots of points. Our defense has been playing better, and they pass the ball a lot, so that helps rather than a heavy run team. But even so I expect at least 24 points from the colts. I honestly cant see hoyer putting up enough to win. There have been several games this year I thought "OK this is hoyers chance, time for him to light it up." Yet it hasn't happened. As much as I hate to say it I think we have to go with JF. Personally I don't think johnny will be a very good NFL qb, but let's put him in and hopefully he proves me wrong. This is my opinion, either way I have full faith in pettine and feel he will make the right choice.

It may or may not translate to the NFL (it certainly can't to the same degree),but in college nobody could do the things this kid did. Kevin Sumlin (who I actually think is a good coach), should send him a turkey at Thanksgiving for the next 10 years. Mike Evans was great, but he's not why Manziel could do what he did. The offensive line was good, but seemed great because of Manziel. Go watch the highlights. LSU knew how to stop him (Miles is also a pretty good coach with a solid, solid defense), but no one else really did. "Once-in-decade-talent" as a description for Manziel in college is easy to defend...

Sorry- Manziel might well have been a once in a decade College talent- but if he was a once in a decade Pro potential quarterback, he wouldn't have gotten past the Texans at #1 overall, and qb needy teams would have been ringing their phone off the hook making RG III type offers to move up to get him. And history says so. Holmgren reportedly offered the Colts his entire draft for a shot at Andrew Luck, and we all know (and you should too) about the bidding war that went on to move up to #2 to take Griffin. JFF slid to the Browns at #22 because unlike Luck- who checked off ALL the boxes on the scouts scorecards, Manziel didn't. So take off the homer glasses.

JFF may well have been the #1 overall if he was 3" taller, and didn't have the red flag party boy image. LOL, the Manzealots may not care about the latter, but you can be damn sure GMs and owners sure as hell take that into consideration were they draft someone.

Here's the thing, we need points to beat the colts. Lots of points. Our defense has been playing better, and they pass the ball a lot, so that helps rather than a heavy run team. But even so I expect at least 24 points from the colts. I honestly cant see hoyer putting up enough to win. There have been several games this year I thought "OK this is hoyers chance, time for him to light it up." Yet it hasn't happened. As much as I hate to say it I think we have to go with JF. Personally I don't think johnny will be a very good NFL qb, but let's put him in and hopefully he proves me wrong. This is my opinion, either way I have full faith in pettine and feel he will make the right choice.

I got the impression today it's gonna be Hoyer, Pettine emphasizing how nobody around Hoyer played good.

If JM I hope he comes in and lights up a fairly lackluster colts D though. I'd hope the same for Hoyer. This game has become a must win for us.

We already got the once-in-a-decade talent this decade, we're playing him Sunday and he was drafted #1 overall. Manziel has many solid aspects about his game, many others that aren't. I wish he succeeds for many years and wins us many games, but I still fear him turning into a 280lb DE, but we'll have to see if his savvvy awareness of the field works long term in the NFL.

This wasn't really funny, or christmasy. It also wasn't something I'd put on my headphones or in my car. Not sure what you're going for, but I made it through about 35 seconds.

Not trying to offend you, it honestly wasn't entertaining or funny or Christmas

Manziel doesnt run like other QB's run.. He doesnt run like Griffin or Newton.. as they are both pretty much see a lane.. run through as fast as you can. Wilson is a backdoor type runner who will steal the green if you give it to him, and may change direction here or there.

He runs more like Vick.. not AS fast.. but MORE agile.

Johnny Manziel is almost the EXACT same height and weight as LeSean Mccoy.. and they both have great quicks and insane lateral movement.

He is in a class by himself when running. Because unlike when other QB's run.. unless he is in a full sprint straight away... defenders cant get a clean shot on him because Johnny sets them up. He's too shifty and makes defenders hesitate before they bite. He runs like... ballet

Sorry- Manziel might well have been a once in a decade College talent- but if he was a once in a decade Pro potential quarterback, he wouldn't have gotten past the Texans at #1 overall, and qb needy teams would have been ringing their phone off the hook making RG III type offers to move up to get him. And history says so. Holmgren reportedly offered the Colts his entire draft for a shot at Andrew Luck, and we all know (and you should too) about the bidding war that went on to move up to #2 to take Griffin. JFF slid to the Browns at #22 because unlike Luck- who checked off ALL the boxes on the scouts scorecards, Manziel didn't. So take off the homer glasses.

JFF may well have been the #1 overall if he was 3" taller, and didn't have the red flag party boy image. LOL, the Manzealots may not care about the latter, but you can be damn sure GMs and owners sure as hell take that into consideration were they draft someone.

Tom Brady got by every team 198 times before the Pats took him. Brandon Weeden has all the prototypical QB physical traits. The reason one is HOFer and the other a 1st round bust is because of what's in between the ears. That's the biggest unknown right now on Manziel, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Tom Brady got by every team 198 times before the Pats took him. Brandon Weeden has all the prototypical QB physical traits. The reason one is HOFer and the other a 1st round bust is because of what's in between the ears. That's the biggest unknown right now on Manziel, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Exactly.

i understand the argument for staying with hoyer, but i also understand he's been playing like shit and there's a equally good argument to bench him and go with manziel....what i don't particularly like is hoyer's insistence that he start...it's not his decision....i like manziel's approach better, acknowledging it's a decision for the coaches, not the players.....hoyer keeps playing the "you owe it to me to keep me starting" card....everyone recognizes his contributions, but get over it, this is the pro's, nobody owes you shit....you produce, you play, you don't produce, you sit....hoyer just hasn't been producing...more than a few of those wins were in spite of his play, not because of it......

I could be completely wrong but I still don't think Mike Pettine is the kind of guy that would go with the quick hook.

(of course in the aftermath of Ben Tate; still he was a vocal malcontent)

WSS

From what I heard from various news/radio on the Browns is that they've been concerned with Hoyer's performance since the Texans game, so this might not be as quick a hook as those outside Berea think it is. I also heard that Farmer is weighing in on this decision, which means his POV is going to be that he wants to know what he has in Manziel before the next draft. Sadly, I think Hoyer is done in Cleveland.

The media divide is becoming clear...

Former players are by and large lining up behind Hoyer due to leadership, 7-5, etc.

Writers are by and large lining up behind Manziel due to "excitement" and there's no better example than this tripe, fresh from USA Today...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/cleveland-browns-johnny-manziel-johnny-footbal-jeff-dunham-is-ok-i-guess

Manziel doesnt run like other QB's run.. He doesnt run like Griffin or Newton.. as they are both pretty much see a lane.. run through as fast as you can. Wilson is a backdoor type runner who will steal the green if you give it to him, and may change direction here or there.

He runs more like Vick.. not AS fast.. but MORE agile.

Johnny Manziel is almost the EXACT same height and weight as LeSean Mccoy.. and they both have great quicks and insane lateral movement.

He is in a class by himself when running. Because unlike when other QB's run.. unless he is in a full sprint straight away... defenders cant get a clean shot on him because Johnny sets them up. He's too shifty and makes defenders hesitate before they bite. He runs like... ballet

Great analogy... and on average LeSean has only missed about 2 games per year since he's been a starter.

Too bad Baryshnikov and Nureyev are over the hill...

You gotta throw away the media and people outside the organization, what does our staff and our players want to do?

I think the players seemed to have a lot more energy in the TD drive by Johnny, then they had the rest of the game with Hoyer.

But in the end it's all about practice, if JMoney out works Hoyer this week I think Coach Pett has no choice.

jesus you're an idiot...tom brady wasn't drafted till the 6th round.....did that mean he wouldn't be a good pro quarterback....no....just like the texan's not drafting manziel #1 doesn't mean he won't be a good pro quarterback...i know, now you're going to change from the "when you are drafted determines how good you'll be" argument to the "how tall you are determines how go you'll be" argument...........there have been a lot of really good pro quarterbacks who were right around 6" tall.....your whole post is just bullshit.....instead of posting stupid crap, why don't we just wait and see what happens....one thing is for sure, we all know hoyer is gone after this year.....he had his chances and he's shown what he can and can't do.....it's "hasta la vista, baby..." time for hoyer....

I still think Hoyer starts Sunday...but if he can't get out of the slump, at some point,

they will put manziel in, it will be a bit sooner.

It's possible that Hoyer has risen to his level of incompetence by pressing too hard,

and having things go wrong.

He has to stop trying to make huge plays while off balance - he doesn't have the arm

to make some of those throws unless he has his feet set, or at least be on the move

and on balance. It's odd that he is playing worse with Gordon back.

If Gordon can't get his mistakes out of the way, I'd trade him. He should know how to

make adjustments on the fly, regardless of his time off. He's been playing hard, but

his mental reactions on the field seem to be flustered at times.

Archived