THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

You have to start Manziel fro a number of reasons already listed in previous posts.

But you have to be prepared for him to be average at best. He is going to make a ton

of mistakes. He is a rookie and no rookie steps right in and looks like Brady. All the

other rookie QBs drafted this year are having average years at best. There are growing

pains coming. Johnny is no Marino or Luck who are exceptions to the rookie rule. Lets

have the growing pains this year and find out somewhat if this kid can play. As

evidenced Hoyer is a backup QB not a starter.

I would like to agree with everything, but it is still too soon to bring him in. Hoyer was a part of getting us in the position to still make the playoffs. He deserves a shot to make it happen still. And JF has had almost no practice experience with the 1's since day one in the summer. Not a good place to put a rookie to come in now with maybe 1 week of 1's practice against a high scoring team that will force him to be perfect every possession. This is BH's to either play better or realize he is 2nd team next year. Until that is proven for sure, then let him play it out.

PS-BH did not make the key fumble that gave the game away. Nor did he miss the FG early that would have added 3 points. Yes, he did not have the arm strength to hit JG long and the last interception was nothing but a prayer from a desperate QB. But I also saw Prince Manning get sacked and fumble yesterday, misss a wide open TD and get away with a throw that should have been intercepted, so shit happens.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to agree with everything, but it is still too soon to bring him in. Hoyer was a part of getting us in the position to still make the playoffs. He deserves a shot to make it happen still. And JF has had almost no practice experience with the 1's since day one in the summer. Not a good place to put a rookie to come in now with maybe 1 week of 1's practice against a high scoring team that will force him to be perfect every possession. This is BH's to either play better or realize he is 2nd team next year. Until that is proven for sure, then let him play it out.

PS-BH did not make the key fumble that gave the game away. Nor did he miss the FG early that would have added 3 points. Yes, he did not have the arm strength to hit JG long and the last interception was nothing but a prayer from a desperate QB. But I also saw Prince Manning get sacked and fumble yesterday, misss a wide open TD and get away with a throw that should have been intercepted, so shit happens.

I can't believe you wouldn't be excited if johnny trots out there next week :-P

You make valid points though, but if reports are true that Hoyers been losing the staffs confidence more and more each week I'm pretty much expecting the johnny announcement - not that I'm saying it's necessarily the right call (but we'll find out Sunday).

Elephant in the room... lmao..

PS-BH did not make the key fumble that gave the game away. Nor did he miss the FG early that would have added 3 points. Yes, he did not have the arm strength to hit JG long and the last interception was nothing but a prayer from a desperate QB.

Nicely put... and very objective.

I'd only pick at the "prayer" comment as it was a throw the D suckered him into... a bad read.

I know a secret.. well not really a secret..

But on both boards Ive done a bit of research. I found something.

There is 1 consistent thing that seems to irk fans that hate Johnny more than anything. Something Johnny cannot control.

I have a STRONG belief.. that a Majority of people hate Manziel not because of his off field antics..

Not because of his scrambling ability (because those same people are on Mariotas nutsack)..

Not because of the money sign...

Not because of the rambunctious style in which he plays..

But it is SURPRISINGLY due to one small thing..

His size.

Most of the Johnny haters cannot STAND the fact that his is 5'11 and 2 quarters. They dont think it should be possible. They want a big burly man... because surely that the only type of QB that can lead us to the promised land.

Dont believe me? Do a little research yourself.. there is nothing that irks Johnny haters more than his height

Why? I dont know why it irks them.. when we bring up Wilson and Brees they act like our points were/are never posted.. or they treat them as paradoxes.. unable to be replicated.

Ive even gotten a few of them to admit it...

some of them have even said "If Johnny were 4 inches taller I could see it"

Its really interesting.. its like some sort of reverse over-compensation.

Not really PGL, though his height was a certainly a factor in why he fell to #22. The other factors were he didn't play in a pro style offense, and he's way more reckless than Wilson when he takes off running. Personally, I was against the Media Circus that was certain to follow JFF. Hmmmm- it's ramping up again at Warp Speed now that there's a fair chance he's going to start against the Colts. And I think you've probably caught my drift a majority of guys on the high side of 50 weren't too enamored of his off field antics either. When I did my research on a guy comparable to Manziel- and totally bombed in the pros I was pretty shocked Dave Kingler fills the bill nicely. Guy ran a spread offense, and put up huge numbers in college- to the tune of passing for 11 TDs in ONE game.

I said it before- I have no axe to grind against Johnny the football player- at least now that he's playing for the Browns. Win the next 4 JFF.

wrong. most people that don't like manziel, don't like him for what he brings to the table besides his athletic skills. it's the media circus, the flinging his nose at authority and the feeble minded idiots he has in legions of fans.

Yup.

There isn't a true Browns fan here that doesn't want Manziel to succeed if he's the starter no matter what they think of him personally. Just like there isn't a true Browns fan who wanted Hoyer to play shitty so that Manziel could play. I don't give a damn who plays QB...I just want to see the team win games. So far this year, Hoyer has done that. It hasn't always been pretty but he's winning. The last two weeks were pretty dismal and although the playoffs are not out of reach yet, it might be time to make the switch. If Hoyer starts Sunday, that leash is going to be pretty damn short because the game is at home and the fans will turn on Hoyer quickly after getting a small taste of Manziel.

I'm betting it's Manziel this week. It's a good match up for him since Indy's defense isn't all that great and we should be able to run the ball on them.

Well said Mark. The Browns aren't going to beat the Colts kicking field goals.Their offense is #1 in the league in a lot of categories.

Did I say I would not be excited? I'm just trying to be objective about this.

LOL! :lol:

Surprised- and I'll be even more surprised if Johnny doesn't start Sunday. The Browns almost have to win out- and win the division to make the playoffs. Their Conference record is going to kill them in any tiebreaker situation.

#browns qb Brian Hoyer said today his confidence in himself hasn't wavered despite uncertain stay. Reminds all he's 10-5 w/ browns.

#browns QB Hoyer said he hasn't been informed yet of Pettine's decision. He said 7-5 "hard-earned" and not by accident.

Pettine said Wednesday... Why is she even bothering with these.

Monday film day, Tuesday+Wednesday full practice? I think that's how it works anyway. Pettine said Wednesday but he also said after film evaluation.

Maybe they'll split reps in practice and he'll decide after Wednesday's. Mkc likes attention though.

I understood Pet to say that he would discuss it with the media on Wednesday. I'm sure right now, after watching the film, he knows exactly what he's going to do and has probably already addressed it with the QBs and possibly the team. Wednesday is his next media session, and I hope that he doesn't say squat. I hope he does a Belichick and keeps the Colts guessing on who will be under center....... I will be disappointed if he publicly says anything definitive at all until kickoff.

Pettine said Wednesday... Why is she even bothering with these.

hashtag whore?

I understood Pet to say that he would discuss it with the media on Wednesday. I'm sure right now, after watching the film, he knows exactly what he's going to do and has probably already addressed it with the QBs and possibly the team. Wednesday is his next media session, and I hope that he doesn't say squat. I hope he does a Belichick and keeps the Colts guessing on who will be under center....... I will be disappointed if he publicly says anything definitive at all until kickoff.

Agree and he can try to keep decision under wraps, but...

Decision will be obvious in practice and therefore harder to keep secret than the Manhatten Project... and look how that turned out.

when it comes down to passing from quarterback to receiver I think thecomparisn is a wash. but when it comes down to that moment when a QB can tuck and run for a first or a touchdown is the lightning rod that this team needs as of this point in the playoff chase.

looking forward to seeing this kid "wreck this league." let's hope he can put his money where his mouth is and not wear his cell phone is supposed to beand not wreck this team.

Does anyone remember when Hoyer got plastered last week and refused to come out of the game? Then came back with yet another 4th qtr. comeback win. I think Hoyer is playing hurt. This kid is fighting for his very existence in the NFL. He's in the most important contract negotiation of his life, under the utmost scrutiny all while Johnny is lurking in the wings. Can you imagine that kind of pressure in your life? No matter what happens, Hoyer has gained my admiration and respect and I tip my hat to him for always being proffesional and playing like a Brown. The handwriting may be on the wall and Hoyer carries the only eraser. Good luck.

I like Hoyer.He is an average quarterback at best.Thats why he has bounced around the league never doing anything. He was involved in a few games that they won,but mostly lousy teams that the Browns made look good. They still have a slight chance to make the playoffs,but not with Hoyers lousy play. I hope he stays with us as a backup,but I doubt it.I look forward to Manziel being our starter.I really think he is going to light things up,and be hard to defend!

I like Hoyer.He is an average quarterback at best.Thats why he has bounced around the league never doing anything. He was involved in a few games that they won,but mostly lousy teams that the Browns made look good. They still have a slight chance to make the playoffs,but not with Hoyers lousy play. I hope he stays with us as a backup,but I doubt it.I look forward to Manziel being our starter.I really think he is going to light things up,and be hard to defend!

Ya I don't know about all that, but I hope for the best. It's been said since TC that it's Hoyer's job to lose, and with the last three stinkers I think he's done just that. Sunday seems like three weeks away

Oh god there's a whole new slew of Johnny slurpers here ... Ugh

That's how it is on da bandwagon.

Personally, I had never heard of Johnny Scramble before the draft coz I live on the other side of the planet, and I don't pay any attention to college football, or the news, or the gossip pages.

I just watched his play in the preseason, with him an Hoyer playing equally poorly, making the choice of going with Hoyer was the right choice.

CLE is now in a situation where they need to see what they have in Johnny Scramble.

Yes, he will struggle and make mistakes but he needs to play the rest of the season.

If he leads the offense to 27 points against the Colts like who did last week?

ummmmm, -- Colt McCoy, then CLE will may have a chance to win at home.

IND is averaging 32 points per game (PPG).

CLE is allowing 20 PPG.

All in all, a curious situational irony is playing out here, coz CLE was second in the bidding for RG3 who is now benched in favor of Colt McCoy who just got his first "real" start with WAS against IND last week.

Like he said he won't change for anyone... Not even to make himself a better QB.

Now you are making yourself appear totally ignorant. He has changed every year I have seen him play. He wants to be a better QB a lot more than you appear to want him to be a better quarterback. Get off you high horse and start supporting this team (and last I looked JF is a part of that team).

If Manziel plays on Sunday, I fully expect a messy, sloppy performance. There will be moments of brilliance, but overall it will be laden with mistakes.

That's the problem with putting the rookie in for his first start with four games left and a last-ditch effort to make the playoffs. You can't honestly expect him to be gangbusters right out of the gate... And he's in a position where he's gonna need to be if the Browns want to keep their post-season hopes alive. I think if he truly was going to offer more than Hoyer at this point, that he would have had a chance by now to do so.

I can't deny that I was excited to see him come in yesterday. And I'll support whoever Pettine and company decide to go with. But I don't think this as as cut-and-dry of a situation as many are making it out to be. Hoyer is again that safer choice he's been all season long and Manziel is that boom/bust option that could really pay off, or kill all hope.

If Manziel plays on Sunday, I fully expect a messy, sloppy performance. There will be moments of brilliance, but overall it will be laden with mistakes.

That's the problem with putting the rookie in for his first start with four games left and a last-ditch effort to make the playoffs. You can't honestly expect him to be gangbusters right out of the gate... And he's in a position where he's gonna need to be if the Browns want to keep their post-season hopes alive. I think if he truly was going to offer more than Hoyer at this point, that he would have had a chance by now to do so.

I can't deny that I was excited to see him come in yesterday. And I'll support whoever Pettine and company decide to go with. But I don't think this as as cut-and-dry of a situation as many are making it out to be. Hoyer is again that safer choice he's been all season long and Manziel is that boom/bust option that could really pay off, or kill all hope.

It definitely isn't cut and dry. We have 4 critically important games to keep playing beyond December - Manziel is a risk to the season, but again what are your chances with a guy who has been playing well below average the past few weeks?

I'm suspecting Hoyer gets the call come Wednesday and people rage, but I think starting Sunday for Hoyer means he gets the half...Despite his early season 2nd half brilliance he probably won't be getting a chance to demonstrate that again if we fall behind and struggle to move the ball.

Hey there folks, I'm Billy Cool. I'm new here, but a legit Browns fan, and attend most home games. I also write/record stupid songs. Today, I took the opportunity to put together a little Christmas parody about our man Johnny Football. Hopefully, you'll get a chuckle out of it.

https://soundcloud.com/billy-cool/i-saw-johnny-playing-quarterback

Lyrics:

I saw Johnny playing quarterback

After Hoyer threw another pick

Well, he marched right down the field

Hoyer's fate is sealed

And the Cleveland fans are pumped up;

because Johnny's at the wheel!

I saw Johnny playing Quarterback

Pettine made the call and it feels so right

The Brownies are on track

The glory days are comin' on back

No more 2nd string QBs whose passing skills laaaaack!

I saw Johnny playing Quarterback

Oh what fun it'll be to watch him win

Oh those days are done

Watching Cleveland's favorite son

Now Johnny's gonna have the dawg pound;

Rockin' at the Stadium

I see Johnny in the Super Bowl

Shining like a star under the lights

As he runs for the winning play

Everybody will move out of the way

And Johnny is the Hero of the game!

The real Mr. Hero of the game!