THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

All right, I said in the tavern that I wouldn't respond here this week, but here goes.

I like Brian, and have been in his corner 100%, but I don't like the way Brian has regressed the last 5 weeks culminating in today's performance. If Pettine makes a change, it is not just because of how Brian played today, and even the most biased Brian supporter HAS to see and agree with this. He will make the change because of Brian's complete body of work, and how that body has been regressing.

There is never a perfect time to make a change at QB because of lack of production, but right now, it's about as good as it gets for Pettine. We are still in the playoff race with a 1/4 of the season left to be played. Johnny has had time to watch, listen and learn and is probably as ready now as he will be any time this year.

Hopefully Pettine will be smart and not give any type of definitive answer on who starts next week as to keep the Colts guessing and give Johnny any tiny advantage he can give him............ The press and we won't like it, but if he's smart, it's what he'll do.

Based on the last 5 weeks and if I'm the head coach, I start Johnny......... and that coming from a Brian supporter.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His ability to scramble and pocket presence alone makes us a better team.

Well as long as he doesn't fumble and throw into double coverage like he did today (and got away with it) we're good. I can't say after watching what he did today he makes us a better team, even with the TD drive. If he starts next week I'll be able to make a better judgement.

Does Hoyer start against Indy?

I do not know.

I've said it before: Hoyer's only edge has been his ability to read the defense and execute the Offense. Based upon our success after audibles and some of his early play, it is clear he made good decisions as well.

Mechanically Hoyer looked bad in some recent games, but looked better last week against ATL. I think that mechanically he looked good again today.

However, his second INT in Gordo's direction was a sucker Defense and Hoyer fell for it. It was similar to the way Leonard suckered Orton for the endzone pick early. If he made other read errors, he has opened the door to the possibility of losing his job.

Assuming the door is open, then the question is: Is JM allowed to waltz through it?

Again, I do not know.

Physically JM showed nothing today that we did not know he had. He had a good, high energy drive against a softer defense than BUF put up most of the day.

But that drive also included what looked to be a good, audible as well. If the throw, and non-throw, reads Manziel made were on the money as well, then he has closed that gap as well.

Enough to offset the rookie we still saw in the fumble and moreover his reaction to it?

I do not know.

One thing I do know though... should be an interesting week around here and Berea...

You have to be medically fucked in the head to not want Manziel to start.

Hoyer fucking sucked today and I'm glad the coaches pulled him

At least you are consistent at being inconsistent.

All right, I said in the tavern that I wouldn't respond here this week, but here goes.

You lied to us...

His ability to scramble and pocket presence alone makes us a better team.

c'mon. he might scamble and get hurt. how does that make us better? anyone can scramble. pocket presence? ok. we saw what 2 mins of the guy? don't start your shit. you know how badly it can end for you. like every other 'stance' you've made this year.

Manziel is the reason this could be a more interesting year as a Cleveland Browns fan than has typically been the case lately. He may or may not make it, but how long do you go with what you saw today before you give him his shot. I never believed the Browns had enough offense this year to make the playoffs, even though they were winning. Yards get tougher at the end of the year.

For all his high school heroics, nobody really knew what they had at A&M in Manziel until he played. He's a gamer. Could be fun to watch.

you still didn't answer my question. why did you join the browns forum today?

That is an overreaction since when the Bills starters were in JF fumbled into the endzone.

The fumble was caused by a miscommunication with the snap, which is to be expected with a rookie coming in on the road for his first significant action.

And by the way the end result was an incomplete pass. Hoyer would have lost 10 yards by taking the sack.

c'mon. he might scamble and get hurt. how does that make us better? anyone can scramble. pocket presence? ok. we saw what 2 mins of the guy? don't start your shit. you know how badly it can end for you. like every other 'stance' you've made this year.

1. He might scramble and get hurt? I might win the fucking lottery.

2. Anyone can scramble? No, see Brian Hoyer.

3. Hoyer's time is over, period. Accept it with a little dignity.

It was ruled an incomplete pass you dumb fuck. He got right back up and fired a strike to Austin.

Quit being mad Johnny fucked your old lady loser.

you are fucking hilarious. let's see how you spin it after he starts and loses. lol.

i say draft mariota. HA!

It's simple...

MANZIEL OPENS UP THE OFFENSE, Brian Hoyer doesn't not. Period, end of story.

No linebackers have to worry about spying on Brian Hoyer, dude has no legs at all.

Manziel scoring that TD was proof this offense can be explosive. I drive, 80 yards.

Would you like to wager that if JM starts next week, then it will be with a substantially reduced playbook?

Over/Under is 25%...

As for holding LBs... that is what the play action is for. But to do that you need to have some running game from the guys that are supposed to run.

It was ruled an incomplete pass you dumb fuck. He got right back up and fired a strike to Austin.

Quit being mad Johnny fucked your old lady loser.

Don't get too carried away lover boy. Manziel had a nice TD drive, but he had very few pass attempts and one of them should have been intercepted. No need to get all up on his jock until you see more, which he may very well get the start next week. We lost the game...If playing Manziel for 4 quarters would have changed the outcome is yet to be seen.

The fumble was caused by a miscommunication with the snap, which is to be expected with a rookie coming in on the road for his first significant action.

Why are you still here?

Hoyer is finished, accept it.

Pettine made the call, and Manziel answered, some of you hanging on at this point are just embarrassing yourselves.

Possibly...

I have to admit that if nothing else, you are an expert in "embarrassing yourself". So you should know it when you see it.

Why not?

I agree,...why not? I'd start him the rest of the way. Hoyer is a average QB who has done a nice job but isn't the type of guy you can call a top 1/3 QB. Manziell might not be either, but we need to get a read on this situation.

Hoyer is free at the end of the season. We need to know what we have in JF so we can make informed decisions. Do we resign Hoyer? Do we roll with JF, or do we use our picks to grab another QB?

As far as I am concerned, we know what we have in Hoyer. He is a great kid, a nice guy, great story, but a bottom tier starting QB. I don't make a big push to sign the guy unless it looks like he is better than JF.

We have to have a pretty good idea of what we have in Johnny as we exit this season. If not we will simply be throwing darts in the dark headed in to next season.

The Manziel are haters are so mad he's better than Hoyer. So much anger and jealousy Johnny has been handed the keys.

I don't see that from anyone

The Manziel are haters are so mad he's better than Hoyer. So much anger and jealousy Johnny has been handed the keys.

Walter you're back in full form...everybody says Hoyer has sucked and has gotten worse and worse. No doubt about it. It's pretty likely Johnny starts next week (and I don't see anybody proclaiming otherwise), but you can't proclaim anything about him other than he does indeed have physical ability and a good arm. We need to see him play more.

walter is a politician obviously because he can spin any story his way. "should've drafted watkins.....WAH!!!" should've drafted mack....WAH!!"

a neutral fan: "but walter watkins had only 5 catches for 11 yards with his longest being 5 yards."

walter: "i never wanted watkins. i just wanted the browns to draft everybody else i can think of that might be better than who we drafted. i'll figure it out by the end of the year and come back and proclaim my victory!"

Why not?

Because the AFC North is still in play and, possibly, a playoff berth.

With Hoyer or despite Hoyer (take your pick), the team has won 7 games.

If they stumble the next week - especially the next two weeks - I believe the plug will be pulled and Hoyer's dream of being a starter for the Browns - or for any NFL team - won't be achieved.

I give the guy credit. While I never believed he would be an - even - average NFL QB - I know nothing about evaluating such things. The Browns' brass, however, saw Hoyer and drafted JF. They do know a lot more than me.

In short, ride the Hoyer train as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel (playoffs). If, and when, this occurs, pull the plug and insert JF (for better or worse).

Just my 2-cents.

It's going to be fascinating to see what the change will do. I think Manziel will struggle at times and show flashes of brilliance at others. Making the playoffs still seems unlikely, but I'm hopeful.

now you're fucking with me right stockton?

why did you decide to join today? just say it. we already know.

Archived