THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mind boggling that some people have nothing better to do than trash talk a back up quarterback. Instead of wishing him success in the hopefully unlikely event Hoyer gets injured, you spew out the vulgarities and expect everyone to hop on board. Let me remind you:

Aaron Rodgers was a back up as was Philip Rivers, Drew Brees Terry Bradshaw, Kurt Warner, Brian Hoyer, Tom Brady, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Eli Manning etc.

We saw Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Ryan Mallet all go down for the year. I'll bet their fans weren't ripping the backup to the point of exhaustion.

I believe he gets a pass until he has the chance to prove otherwise.

Johnny's mom Is probably a balla just like him. No doubt she parties till 2am. This guy is lucky he got off how he did, cause we all know JF could have thrown him through walls with his brute strength. Although on the other hand he also could have just gazed into the mans eyes putting a hypnosis on him. Johnny does what johnny wants though.

That's all? Johnny has so much power- he stares at the guy and his head blows up like in Scanners. :)

It's mind boggling that some people have nothing better to do than trash talk a back up quarterback. Instead of wishing him success in the hopefully unlikely event Hoyer gets injured, you spew out the vulgarities and expect everyone to hop on board. Let me remind you:

Aaron Rodgers was a back up as was Philip Rivers, Drew Brees Terry Bradshaw, Kurt Warner, Brian Hoyer, Tom Brady, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Eli Manning etc.

We saw Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Ryan Mallet all go down for the year. I'll bet their fans weren't ripping the backup to the point of exhaustion.

I believe he gets a pass until he has the chance to prove otherwise.

Not ripping on JFF at all- just having a little fun. I think Furnier has it right- this dickhead wanted to cause a scene so he could sue Manziel LOL, he could have been like Sir Charles Barkley when that fan heckled him in the Flats way back- just picked him up- and thrown his ass through a window.

I don't think the Browns FO is going to be pleased with Johnny Sideshow. His days could be numbered.

Conner Shaw may be moving up on the depth chart. LOL

GO BROWNS !

The Cleveland fan rep for chasing off QB's way before they have a chance to do anything seems well earned. This QB hasn't even played more than a few downs and you are ready to can him? Really? Good thing Pettine has more sense than many "fans".

Ok, someone said something, someone punched someone, was it a punch, a fight, a riot, Ms. JFF, an entourage, the other drunk asshole's fault, whatever, I'm not trying to figure that BS out.

So, what I know is a few hours after practice, meetings, etc. Friday and a few hours before getting on the plane to Atlanta, the 1st round QB (de facto future leader of the franchise) who hasn't proven jack-squat so far is testing the theory of - nothing good happens at 3 a.m.

I don't need to speculate or exaggerate anything to ask, do you think Johnny was giving himself a 100% chance of being 100% prepared to play Sunday had his number been called?

If you're a pro - in any field - who's been around long enough and proven himself, then you rightly get more benefit of the doubt. No matter what you believe about Johnny and what's true or what's a problem, is he at the point where an employer (coach, GM, owner) or co-worker (teammate) says, even just within their heads, "That deal last night was dumb/bad luck/inconsequential/who knows, but we know Johnny. It doesn't have anything to do with Johnny getting the job done."?

The Cleveland fan rep for chasing off QB's way before they have a chance to do anything seems well earned.

Because they all went on to greatness?

How do you think we should have kept around ... Frye? Quinn? McCoy? Weeden?

Zombo

Ok, someone said something, someone punched someone, was it a punch, a fight, a riot, Ms. JFF, an entourage, the other drunk asshole's fault, whatever, I'm not trying to figure that BS out.

So, what I know is a few hours after practice, meetings, etc. Friday and a few hours before getting on the plane to Atlanta, the 1st round QB (de facto future leader of the franchise) who hasn't proven jack-squat so far is testing the theory of - nothing good happens at 3 a.m.

I don't need to speculate or exaggerate anything to ask, do you think Johnny was giving himself a 100% chance of being 100% prepared to play Sunday had his number been called?

If you're a pro - in any field - who's been around long enough and proven himself, then you rightly get more benefit of the doubt. No matter what you believe about Johnny and what's true or what's a problem, is he at the point where an employer (coach, GM, owner) or co-worker (teammate) says, even just within their heads, "That deal last night was dumb/bad luck/inconsequential/who knows, but we know Johnny. It doesn't have anything to do with Johnny getting the job done."?

At a minimum the time of the "incident" is a concern... even if JM had a note from Mom...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/24/ray-farmer-on-manziel-the-time-of-the-incident-is-concerning/

The Cleveland fan rep for chasing off QB's way before they have a chance to do anything seems well earned. This QB hasn't even played more than a few downs and you are ready to can him? Really? Good thing Pettine has more sense than many "fans".

Really? Name a single QB that the Browns have "chased off" that has gone on to do "anything". Anything other than being a pine rider.

By the way, I will give you the answer: it is: No one, nobody......at least not since they ran off Len Dawson in the late 50s.

I think Pettine has "sense" enough to know that the QB that hasn't even played more than a few downs is more of a distraction than he's worth. Just so we understand each other I am a "fan" of the Cleveland Browns and have been for 50 years . I didn't follow some "Johnny" come lately, over hyped, juvenile delinquent half way across the country and miraculously call myself a Browns fan. I've lived through the losing, season after season, and watched us piss away one draft pick after another. Is it too much to ask of some kid you're giving millions of dollars to, to carry the clipboard with a little respect and professionalism? If you think Pettines and Farmers patience isn't wearing very thin with this guy, you need to take off your Aggie colored glasses.

GO BROWNS

The Cleveland fan rep for chasing off QB's way before they have a chance to do anything seems well earned.

I gotta agree with Gip on this one. We haven't "run off" ANY quarterbacks. We did cut a bunch. But they all pretty much earned it. The fact that none of them ended up as a starter pretty much backs that up.

The truth is we're accused, more often, of rushing them in and getting them hurt or broken. The complaint was they weren't ready or the team just wasn't good enough for them yet. So, presumably, we ruin QB's by rushing them.

But, THIS TIME, we decide to hold him back and NOT rush him in. And now we hear that thats the wrong way too.

The Cleveland fans dont want to run JFF off. They just want him to start acting and playing like a top flight PROFESSIONAL, instead of acting like a college kid without a job.

But, THIS TIME, we decide to hold him back and NOT rush him in. And now we hear that thats the wrong way too.

Actually this is exactly the right way. But many here want to rush him in or send him packing. Either way that is way too premature a judgement to make. You all have to admit the Browns have a very negative history where QB's go to die. Oakland has the same history. Pettine for once is doing it right.

Actually this is exactly the right way.

I agree 100%

But many here want to rush him in or send him packing.

I agree again., But, there are ALWAYS gonna be 10% one way and 10% the other way and 80% in the middle

Either way that is way too premature a judgement to make.

And I agree again(thats 3)....but, I think the agrument is that, as YOU have said, we have a history of bad QB picks. They have failed, one by one and broken our spirits many many times. We have now invested ANOTHER first pick in a guy and ...#1) he didn't give a great effort in camp....#2) he didn't beat out a fairly average QB.....#3) he KEEPS getting in the news for negative reasons. .....#4)he hasn't flashed anything good, but has flashed numerous hints of trouble......so, knowing our history of flops, isn't it reasonable for "us"(not you) to feel like "HERE WE GO AGAIN"....?

Can you get that we are tired of QB's busting? That we'd like ONE to JUST show up, own it, play great and be the face of our franchise? Do you see how we are very leery of this guy and his act, since he HASN'T shown us anything else????

You all have to admit the Browns have a very negative history where QB's go to die.

Yes we do. So, like I said above, wish he would show us SOMETHING to prove he is the one. Right now, we've only gotten a clipboard holder, negative press and a bunch of commercials

Actually this is exactly the right way. But many here want to rush him in or send him packing. Either way that is way too premature a judgement to make. You all have to admit the Browns have a very negative history where QB's go to die. Oakland has the same history. Pettine for once is doing it right.

Those QBs don't come here to die. They weren't very good and they came here and proved it. The only guy that kinda came here then went elsewhere and did OK was the veteran Jeff Garcia. Here they did try to put a round peg into a square hole. Garcia was a WCO system QB who could not run anything else, and when they tried a different offense here with him it didn't work. He went to a couple of other spots and did OK (Eagles, Bucs).

EVERYONE else that was brought here lacked the talent...intangibles...whatever to be a quality NFL QB.

Because they all went on to greatness?

How do you think we should have kept around ... Frye? Quinn? McCoy? Weeden?

Zombo

Probably everyone would have some amount of improvement given more continuity. The system the coaching staff the ownership everything being fluid gives no one a chance to be all that they can be.

Build a good team and a mediocre quarterback can be successful as I always say. Look at the Browns.

Bernie was never successful after leaving the Browns. Is he a turd?

WSS

Probably everyone would have some amount of improvement given more continuity. The system the coaching staff the ownership everything being fluid gives no one a chance to be all that they can be.

Build a good team and a mediocre quarterback can be successful as I always say. Look at the Browns.

Bernie was never successful after leaving the Browns. Is he a turd?

WSS

He was shot before he left.

Zombo

As "shot" as he may have been, he was better than Todd Philcox. He would probably be better, right here, right now.

Ya, cutting him while Testeverde was injured and we were in first place and handing over the reigns to Philcox was stupid. Bernie wasnt the same physically but he could still gut out some wins. Philcox blew.

Just to make things clear with everyone, this happened to Manziel at 2:30 am Saturday, which means he was out on Friday night. People seem really confused about days and times for some reason. It does not mean he was out at 2:30 am the day of the game, that would be 2:30 am on Sunday. He was able to get his 8 hours of sleep the next night before the game so everyone can quit worrying if Johnny is sleeping enough.

As I noted in one of the other threads, my concern about JFF being good or busting out has little to do with his style of play or his partying or even his perceived talent......as all QBs drafted in the first round are perceived to have great talent. Especially from their college days. But the fact is, drafting a QB is a crapshoot. (now...this may also be the case with drafting any other position, but we all know that QB is special and important). So, here are the first round QB draftees from the first round since 1970. this includes both regular and supplemental drafts. Figure out the busts from the elites....or the average QBs.:

Terry Bradshaw..HOF

Mike Phipps.....bust.

Jim Plunkett

Dan Pastorini

Archie Manning

all good picks imo

Jerry Tagge...bust

John Reaves...bust

Bert Jones....solid

1974...Clint Longley...supplemental..bust

Steve Bartkowski.....average imo

Richard Todd....average

Steve Pisarkewisc....bust

Tommy Kramer....average imo

Doug Williams.....good QB, Super Bowl winner

Jack Thompson....bust

Phil Simms....good pick

Steve Fuller...bust

Mark Wilson

Mark Malone

both below average imo though not complete busts

Rich Campbell....bust

Art Schlichter...bust

Jim McMahon...good pick

John Elway...HOF

Blackledge...bust

Kelly....HOF

Eason...below average

O'Brien...actually a good pick

Marino...HOF

Ken Hobart...supp....bust

Warren Peace (actually Wayne)....supp....bust

Steve Young....HOF

Bernie Kosar....solid pick

Chuck Long...bust

Jim Everett...solid pick

Vinny Testaverde...solid pick

Jim Harbaugh....solid pick

Kelly Stouffer....bust

Chris Miller....average

no first round picks

Troy Aikman...HOF

Steve Walsh....bust

Tim Rosenbach...bust

Jeff George....his statistics say OK, the eyeball test says bust

Andre War....bust

Dan McGwire...bust

Todd Marinovich...bust

David Klingler....bust

Tommy Maddox...bust

Dave Brown....bust

Drew Bledsoe..solid pick

Rick Mirer....bust

Heath Shuler....bust

Trent Dilfer....average

none taken

Jim Druckenmiller....bust

Peyton Manning....HOF caliber

Ryan Leaf....bust

Tim Couch....not a bust...but below avg. total career

Donovan McNabb....solid pick

Akili Smith....bust

Daunte Culpepper...solid pick

Cade McNown....bust

Chad Pennington...solid pick

Michael Vick....solid career

David Carr....possible bust...but maybe not

Joey Harrington...bust

Patrick Ramsay....bust

Carson Palmer...solid pick

Byron Leftwich....average

Kyle Boller....bust

Rex Grossman....average maybe

Eli Manning...solid pick

Phillip Rivers...solid pick

Ben Roethlisberger....possible HOF

JP Losman....bust

Alex Smith...solid

Aaron Rodgers....HOF caliber

Jason Campbell....average at best

Vince Young....bust

Matt Leinert....bust

Jay Cutler....average

Jamarcus Russell....bust

Brady Quinn....bust

Matt Ryan....solid pick

Joe Flacco...solid pick

Matt Stafford....solid pick

Mark Sanchez... average

Josh Freeman.....bordering on bust

Sam Bradford.....below avg, bordering on bust

Tim Tebow....bust

Cam Newton....solid pick

Jake Locker....below average

Blaine Gabbert....bust

Christian Ponder....bust

Andrew Luck....HOF caliber

RGIII....jury out

Ryan Tannehill...jury out

Brandon Weeden....bust

EJ Manuel....bust potential

Blake Bortles....jury out

Johnny Manziel...jury out

Teddy Twatwater.....jury out.

Now, with all that red on that list representing busts......can you all say with confidence that JFF won't in the future become a red letter boy? I gave the benefit of the doubt to a number of these guys. I really meant it when I said his future was 50/50....not based on his traits, but on all those that came before him.

Check out the entire decade of the 90s....basically only 3-4 good QBs taken in a decade in the first round:

Bledsoe, Peyton, McNabb, Culpepper.

(yes, I know that a guy like Favre was taken in a later round....I am only going with first rounders here)

List the undrafted rookie qbs and you could make a great argument against Hoyer. Chill the fuck out until Johnny actually plays. He may be a bust or he may not be a bust. We're 7-4, and have a rookie qb in a great situation compared to Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr ect., who are on garbage teams. Shitty teams contribute a lot more towards a qb being a bust than is giving credit for. How do you think Tom Brady (although not a first rounder) would have turned out if he would've been the Brown's starter back in the early 2000s?

List the undrafted rookie qbs and you could make a great argument against Hoyer. Chill the fuck out until Johnny actually plays. He may be a bust or he may not be a bust.

That is the exact fucking point of my post. Did you not read? It is those clamoring for JFF who think he should play now and who think he is their savior that need to chill out until he actually plays. All I am saying is that history shows that a vast perecentage of QBs taken in the first round are busts......and that to be absolutey convinced that JFF will be on the positive side of that ledger is just ignoring history.

We're 7-4, and have a rookie qb in a great situation compared to Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr ect., who are on garbage teams. Shitty teams contribute a lot more towards a qb being a bust than is giving credit for

Possibly true. On the other hand sometimes a good QB can break his team out of their shittiness. Brady may be one of those guys, since you mentioned him.

. How do you think Tom Brady (although not a first rounder) would have turned out if he would've been the Brown's starter back in the early 2000s?

I don't know....how about hopping on Mr. Sherman's way back machine and have the Browns take him instead of Spergon Wynn.

Archived