THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

They were there specifically for manziel

I am sure that was a part of it......McCarron is a darn good QB as well, not to mention about 15 other players on the field. Why wouldn't a team scout that game? I'll bet every team in the league had scouts in the seats or wherever they put scouts.

So sure, I am sure Johnny was a big part, as he is for every team in the NFL. Prove to me we sent guys there to watch Johnny and didn't go for any other reason.

Now...we may have a scout or two who we use specifically to scout QB's....again...why wouldn't they be there? You have 2 of the best on the field on the same day.

Now, if you can tell me we will only follow Johnny all season long, maybe you got something, but my feeling is we will have scouts out all season long going to college football games and practices. Those guys work Tuesday through Saturday. Hit a school or two for practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Friday is send in reports and head to your Saturday assignment. Fly home Saturday night or Sunday morning for a couple of days with the family. Tuesday morning, fly out or drive out for a Tuesday afternoon practice at some school along the way to your next Saturday game scouting assignment.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I hope they were scouting Alabama- Manzel is a punk."

Maybe we need punk at QB. The guy plays a different game at a different level than anyone else. The scouts weren't there for McCarron

The only negative to that is that if the guy is a punk in college, where the environment is somewhat controlled. What is going to happen when that same punk gets turned loose in the NFL with $50 million in the bank?

We've already covered that there are a lot of guys who are big stars in college who can't cut it at the next level. I'm afraid that a guy who is a punk like Manziel is going to flame out quickly because he doesn't have the work ethic or the mentality to be a quarterback in the NFL.

McCarron was rattled after A&M took that early lead. Missed a few simple passes he should've easily made. He righted the ship but also had his running backs easily picking up 10 yards a pop, an oline that gave him all the time in the world, not to mention some huge running lanes, and he was going against an A&M defense that can hardly be considered a defense. Throw in the fact he's playing with the most talented team in college and I came away from the game wholy unimpressed. He's more likely to be in the mold of a Leinart or Sanchez then a productive NFL QB.

I'm still on the fence with Manziel but his "attitude" is the least of my concerns. An athlete talking shit on the field is only a problem if they don't back it up, something he's done quite well. Imagine people are offering you thousands of dollars to sign your name on a few pictures when your 21. There is no way in hell you're passing that up. You show me someone that wouldn't take that offer and I'll show you a liar. Now was it dumb? Of course but I've seen 21 year olds do much dumber things for much, much less incentive. Hell Reggie Bush took a lot less heat for committing a much worse "infraction" and he's kept out of trouble during his career, well unless you count the whole Kardshian (sp) thing.

Remember he's still a young man. Young men do stupid shit. He appears to come from a good family who knows how to handle large amounts of money. He'll be fine. I'm more concerned about his size due to his playing style. He's gotta learn to slide more and avoid the unnecessary hits. I'm not sure if he can do that though. His fearlessness on the field is what separates him. If he can find a happy medium he'll be great but it's tough to do.

Haven't watched any tape on Manziel besides the highlight reels on ESPN but there is no doubt that he plays on another level. I'm not an advocate to draft him but look at what he has gotten into trouble for;

- Signing autographs for money, that won't be an issue in the NFL.

- Getting into a fight and having a fake drivers license, nothing you can do about the fight and he turns 21 in December so no worries about that.

- Oversleeping at the Manning Academy, a definite sign of lack of maturity but can be solved by having a personal assistant to make sure he goes where he needs to.

- Tweeting about wanting to get out of College Station, everyone gets in hot water about tweeting something.

If I'm forgetting something please add it in.

The point is most of these things are very minor but they add up. I would want Manziel to stay in school one more year and go a year without getting in any sort of trouble. That is the only way I would believe that he has changed and/or matured to the point where he would be worth drafting.

If he does declare for the draft this year, which I am sure he will, and he happens to fall to the 3rd round then I would okay with taking a chance on him. No way he falls out of the 2nd round though. Jacksonville, Oakland, Minnesota, Arizona, Tampa Bay, maybe Tennessee and maybe New York Jets would take him before he fell to the 3rd round.

jezuz fucking god.

QB talk already after 2 games? you guys are completely fucking nutz!!

this franchise moved up to draft weeden (which i didn't like) in THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND!!!

no not the second. not the third. THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND!!

you really believe that they are just going to throw away this kid as if he was a bust? get real. if norv turner is sooooo fucking great, then shouldn't he be able to turn weeden around? if you look at the stats he played better than 1/2 the QBs (??) out there. i know he didn't throw 4 fucking interceptions. hell his #'s were better than flacco's.

the playcalling is starting to look suspect.......again. we get the big gain from the ball to cameron and basically go into shurmur mode.

better keep an eye on the coaches as well if you want to start calling for someone's head.............after 2 games.

laughable.

You are likely right but at the same time you are purely guessing.

I'm sure they had some scouts watching other people but the had a segment on the Browns on SNF, and talked about how we were/are heavily scouting Manziel.

jezuz fucking god.

QB talk already after 2 games? you guys are completely fucking nutz!!

this franchise moved up to draft weeden (which i didn't like) in THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND!!!

no not the second. not the third. THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND!!

you really believe that they are just going to throw away this kid as if he was a bust? get real. if norv turner is sooooo fucking great, then shouldn't he be able to turn weeden around? if you look at the stats he played better than 1/2 the QBs (??) out there. i know he didn't throw 4 fucking interceptions. hell his #'s were better than flacco's.

the playcalling is starting to look suspect.......again. we get the big gain from the ball to cameron and basically go into shurmur mode.

better keep an eye on the coaches as well if you want to start calling for someone's head.............after 2 games.

laughable.

I'm not calling go anyone's head, except maybe yours. I'm just stating facts that I think other members on this board would find interesting. You can stop trying to be the new Ghoolie bro, no one liked him either

McCarron... hmm. He reminds me a bit of Andy Dalton. But then again, Dalton (like Brees) seems to be getting stronger-armed each year. He was a bit noodly coming out. I honestly don't think either is an elite talent but those aren't falling off trees.

I think Bridgewater and Boyd are elite. Manziel is certainly fun as hell to watch. His punkdom doesn't seem to bother me much for some reason. I think Boyd has quite a bit more arm, certainly a quicker release, and better wheels.

Right now, today, I'd put the chances of the Browns drafting a QB in the top 10 at about 99.999875.

so we got it in a trade.

symantics.

It was a trade from the year before, it's not like they had any idea that they would be drafting BW at that position, or indeed what position that pick would be.

McCarron... hmm. He reminds me a bit of Andy Dalton. But then again, Dalton (like Brees) seems to be getting stronger-armed each year. He was a bit noodly coming out. I honestly don't think either is an elite talent but those aren't falling off trees.

I think Bridgewater and Boyd are elite. Manziel is certainly fun as hell to watch. His punkdom doesn't seem to bother me much for some reason. I think Boyd has quite a bit more arm, certainly a quicker release, and better wheels.

Right now, today, I'd put the chances of the Browns drafting a QB in the top 10 at about 99.999875.

You'd find it hard to disagree with this if Weeden continues. There's no sure fire, Megatron-style WR coming out, as far as I know, which would be hard to pass up. The only player that's ready to dominate is Clowney, who really isn't a position of need - if we're lucky, he falls to us at whatever position we're drafting and some team gives up a shit ton of picks for him.

Yeah, if we have the opportunity to pick up a good QB next year we're going to do.

I'm not saying start him right away either (in case Weeden/whoever improves).

Train/Coach them up while we get the rest of the O in shape, then put them in (don't want them Sacked to death).

• 3 months later...

What are the Pros and Cons on the Browns drafting Johnny Manziel? Here are perhaps a few:

1. Pro: Publicity. No player, I believe, will provoke more discussion/debate/controversy than Johnny Football. Whichever team drafts him will have ESPN and the national media sniffing their hind quarters the whole year, the way they did with RGIII, fair to say?

1. Con: This sucker is short. He is listed at spots at 6ft. 1 in. Fairly short in todays world....(issue, can he overcome that ala Brees/Vick/Russell)

2. Pro: He is brash and a risk taker which could mean good positive plays for the Browns.

2. Con: He is brash and a risk taker which could mean bad negative plays for the Browns.

3. Pro: Leadership. He seems to be the kind of kid that can take a team by the horns and will it to win on occasion. He played well against some of his toughest competition (like Alabama etc.)

3. Con. Selfishness? The opposite side of the coin of leadership is selfishness. Will he try to do too much himself, and not rely on the talent around him. He will learn that the NFL is not a one man sport.

4. Pro: Mobility. He has Fran Tarkenton like scrambling ability that could allow him to make positive plays out of potential negative plays.

4. Con: Durability. But, with his penchant for scrambling, will he turn into a Michael Vick type that is always getting busted up. He is a smaller player going in amongst the Redwoods. Can he survive? Unknown.

Feel free to add your own Pros and Cons about him.

4. Con: Durability. But, with his penchant for scrambling, will he turn into a Michael Vick type that is always getting busted up. He is a smaller player going in amongst the Redwoods. Can he survive? Unknown.

I think he will be a good pro, but the combination of small size and running around really is a big, big, injury concern.

Zombo

I think he could be a decent pro, if he doesn't get hurt, and he goes somewhere where he sits and learns from a Pro QB. If he is thrust into playing early into his career I think he's in trouble. He will run first until he learns the pro game. And for QB's in the NFL that run first, they don't last long

The size and running like a mad man might get him killed. He needs time to develop more arm strength and how to read a defense.

I would not take him until the second round at the earliest, but some team will not wait that long, and I see him being over-drafted in the low teens by someone

I don't think he has the stature and arm to do well in bad winter weather, and

punishing defenses in the Browns' division.

Johnny has a top 3 arm in this draft. He has the highest completion percentage from the pocket in college football. Derek Carr weighs the same as Manziel and he's 3 inches taller, nobody is questioning his size. Manziel has done this against the best competition in college football. He worked on his throwing a lot and ran a lot less this year. He seems to have a knack for avoididng big hits and he gets down/out of bounds. My vote is for Johnny Football right now if you xant tell.

Johnny has a top 3 arm in this draft. He has the highest completion percentage from the pocket in college football. Derek Carr weighs the same as Manziel and he's 3 inches taller, nobody is questioning his size. Manziel has done this against the best competition in college football. He worked on his throwing a lot and ran a lot less this year. He seems to have a knack for avoididng big hits and he gets down/out of bounds. My vote is for Johnny Football right now if you xant tell.

No one would be questioning Manziel's size if he were 3 inches taller too!.

Those 3 inches are a big deal to football GMs.

Pro: The kid's TOUGH! He gets cranked & he's right back out there. Teammates notice that.

Con: We don't know whether or not he can handle northern weather.

As Gipper already stated, some of his pros may also be cons, but Johnny IS a playmaker!

We'll see what happens, but there's just something about him................

Mike

Archived