THE BROWNS BOARD

WR position

Orion

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's exactly my point as well.  You KNOW if we traded Coleman we wouldn't get jack squat for him, so what would be the point?  Corey still has vast potential, despite never coming close to realizing it.  The pieces are definitely in place for him to have a breakout season, and I hope he takes advantage of them all.  As I've said before, we have to figure out ways to get Corey the ball in space.  Too many times he had to dive for the ball across the middle, or slow down, or jump...whatever.  I want to see him catch some passes in stride and get some YAC.  It's what he did so well in college, and I firmly believe that translates to the pros.  Don't forget, Corey had multiple terrific catches, especially in the middle, where he had to dive low to make the grab.  We obviously remember the 2 awful, inexplicable drops (the TD against the Bengals, and obviously the last game versus Steelers), but the guy was generally the only WR on the team who made tough catches.  Suffice to say, Kizer didn't do the guy too many favors.  Todd Haley specializes in short passes that maximize yards, and Corey just might have a resurrection because of our new OC.  

Good points made. I am certainly NOT a Coleman fan, but I defer to the experts & we'll see what happens this year as we have 2 QBs who both can throw accurately,  thus providing him that YAC opportunity. I'll wait & see what he does with that.

Mike

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 5/20/2018 at 8:41 AM, Furious Styles said:

Contractually Browns can afford Dez Bryant but can a locker  room  "afford" the possible distractions of a past prime rotational playing Dez Bryant ?

:lol: Oh, the possibilities for "Hard Knocks".   

On 5/20/2018 at 8:44 AM, jiggins7919 said:

"I like people named Ricardo." LMAO 

Well, I have bad news for Ricardo. Remember last preseason when we kept hearing about how different he looked and how he was primed for a breakout year? Must've been 3 articles about him. He certainly LOOKED the part, but he never put it together. Now, playing with Kizer certainly didn't help, but we all know Ricardo "Skillet Hands" Louis wasn't doing himself any favors. I don't recall how many drops he had, but it seemed like a bunch. 

All indications are that Corey is working hard, and when someone works hard, good things can happen. He's got a real QB (finally), and he's got talent around him to take the load off. Trading him now makes NO sense, EVEN IF Callaway looks amazing. Why? Because Callaway is a wrong move away from major suspension, and we can't risk it. Callaway is also raw, and I don't see us getting ANY value in trading Coleman. I want to see Coleman catching the ball in SPACE and Haley is one of the best at making that happen. Believe me when I say that most teams will HAVE to double Josh Gordon for many plays. That should help SOMEONE get open. 

At this stage, you can either catch the ball, or you can't. Until proven otherwise, Coleman can't.  

On 5/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, mjp28 said:

True. You sure don't just want to chuck a former 1st round pick for nothing in return. 

PLUS remember Flash Gordon isn't exactly a trustworthy proven commodity yet......hopefully JG, Landry, Coleman and others all click together if so the BROWNS might have something good going on.

Ha Justin Gilbert anyone? First thing Dorsey did was send Kenny Britt out the door. Coleman under performs preseason, he just might get sent packing. 

All fair points. I really believe, for whatever reason, that Coleman CAN succeed. I mean, the guy was our best offensive player as a rookie during training camp and our Brown and Orange scrimmage. I realize that isn't saying MUCH, but reportedly he was making a ton of plays and putting pressure on defenses. He was never the same after injuries, but I also want to see him play with a real QB. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

cal -that was back in March and I don't think it ended up with any charges against Coleman.

Did you expect an up-to-date article from cal? :lol:

There's no way Coleman could have been leading a beat-down. His hands would have broken into a million pieces after the first punch. 

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

All fair points. I really believe, for whatever reason, that Coleman CAN succeed. I mean, the guy was our best offensive player as a rookie during training camp and our Brown and Orange scrimmage. I realize that isn't saying MUCH, but reportedly he was making a ton of plays and putting pressure on defenses. He was never the same after injuries, but I also want to see him play with a real QB. 

Injuries? It's not like he blew out an ACL. You can still run with a broken hand. I'm not anti-Coleman but based on his draft position, I expect better.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Injuries? It's not like he blew out an ACL. You can still run with a broken hand. I'm not anti-Coleman but based on his draft position, I expect better.

I'm not sold on C0C0 either.. While yes.. He has some physical gifts... His hands leave something to be desired...

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

cal -that was back in March and I don't think it ended up with any charges against Coleman.

Thanks. lol. Saw "May" and not "Mar".

".....where the heck did my reading glasses go..."

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

".....where the heck did my reading glasses go..."

You have a lot of convenient "eyesight" issues regarding your links... 

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Saw it the same way.  The mind sometimes sees what it expects to see.  Still though, that whole beat down thing looks and smells real bad.

I can see it now, a 3 receiver set of Gordon, Coleman and Callaway.  The Three Thugs Set.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Saw it the same way.  The mind sometimes sees what it expects to see. 

Yep, it's been ions ago that Cal caught me spelling it that way instead of eons. There, they're, their you go!:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, it's been ions ago that Cal caught me spelling it that way instead of eons. There, they're, their you go!:rolleyes:

Maybe your right. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Can't wait to see how he celebrates this.... ;)

...you don't think he'll use it to pay off his credit cards?  

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You mean   "Maybe you're right"?   :o

We were talking about simple grammatical mistakes.....or just some people who are careless or don't give a crap.

Cold day in Hades when I'd miss that easy one.  ;)

I’m willing to bet most of you don’t have Snapchat, so I’ll share with you guys.

Josh Gordon just put up a video of him in the car with his daughter, and it was a really genuine moment where they both looked so happy. Really think Josh has turned it around.

6 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

I’m willing to bet most of you don’t have Snapchat, so I’ll share with you guys.

Josh Gordon just put up a video of him in the car with his daughter, and it was a really genuine moment where they both looked so happy. Really think Josh has turned it around.

Which one was holding the bong?

Zombo

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Which one was holding the bong?

Zombo

Hey man seriously though, 2 years ago he was going to court for not paying child support, fast forward now he’s in his daughter’s life and they both look so happy. If he lost his leg tomorrow and never played another down he made the change that truly matters

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 7:58 PM, Adoug319 said:

Hey man seriously though, 2 years ago he was going to court for not paying child support, fast forward now he’s in his daughter’s life and they both look so happy. If he lost his leg tomorrow and never played another down he made the change that truly matters

I just saw this post and I couldn't agree more. I mean, let's look at what's important in life. Is football important? Of course. Financial security normal people could never imagine, the thrill, the fame....ALL of that. But football eventually ends, whereas the love a father has for his daughter never does. And you know what? Having his daughter in his life may have just saved him. Josh has even more reason to work on his sobriety and recovery. There is so much more to addiction recovery than "just not using". Josh needs positive influences in his life and nothing lights the fire like having a child. 

When I look at the rest of our WRs, I can't help but be totally excited. Everyone who has been to Browns' practice has raved about Jarvis Landry, and how he catches everything and somehow always gets open. I can tell you right now that Jarvis will be used to get Josh deep, and once Jarvis hurts a team underneath and forces the defense to adjust, you're going to see Josh get deep with some single coverage, and that's what we want. It's terrific to hear Jarvis looks like the real deal because I think some people were a bit hesitant on signing a slot receiver to that money. Conversely, NOBODY has any doubts about Josh's ability, and I found it interesting that Hue Jackson said, "There's a calmness in having Josh Gordon here at this time. We know he's here and we know what he brings." 

I'm already on record saying we need to keep Corey Coleman on this roster, no matter what. We won't get SQUAT in a trade, and I strongly feel he's got so much to give. It's terribly unfair to judge ANY of our WRs last year due to the fact they played with horrendous QB'ing. How many times was Rashard Higgins missed in the end zone? 3? Heck, I remember in Josh's first game back against the Bolts, he was open 3-4 times down the field and Kizer completely missed him. Like...badly. The guy to watch is Higgins. I read he looks smooth and quick out there. Wouldn't surprise me to see him look really good in camp and onto preseason. Just a hunch. 

How many WRs do teams generally carry? 6? So we've got Landry, Gordon, Coleman, Calloway, Janus (from Green Bay and an ace special teams guy), and I think the 6th is up for grabs, but I'm betting on Higgins. 

3 hours ago, GuNNerGatSKy said:

Have ye folks seen the latest picture of this man? Dear God he is farkin jacked! I have supreme confidence Flash is back for good with his head on straight!

Screenshot_20180607-121437_Bleacher Report.jpg

Absolute machine.  Hope he can stay on the field

Archived