15 Louis, Ricardo WR 6-2 215 24 3 Auburn
18 Ratley, Damion WR 6-1 200 23 R Texas A&M
10 Scott, Da'Mari WR 6-0 205 22 R Fresno State
84 Willies, Derrick WR 6-4 207 23 R Texas Tech

Unsigned Draft Pick

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE
11 Callaway, Antonio WR 5-11 200 21 R Florida

--------------------------------

All things being stable going forward.....who's the favorites?

Gotta figure Callaway makes it .... there's Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Janis.....that's five......there's a couple of Sashi guys, Higgins & Lewis....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.Landry is only paid behind Ant.Brown,M.Evans,D.Hopkins,S.Watkins. Also think Jarvis will be playing more than just slot receiver in Haley's system. https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/25279/browns-could-be-dangerous-at-wr-with-one-big-if  So when you insert the drafted WR's, the target guys should be the winners that play ST's.Matt Dayes may hit PS? so that opens one ST slot. Dom. Alexander is gone, that's two. Add also we have more than flipped half  the roster. The 2 target guys to the rookies should be Higgins & Louis that both play ST. Evan Berry looks more S/FS/ST depth imo. WR1)Gordon..WR2)Landry..WR3)Calloway.. Corey Coleman will have to win WR position,he has no ST value..Janis will need to show his value in WR game, but is a ST baller ahead of Louis & Higgins imo. Honestly think we keep more CB's & S's active than WR's. Leaving only 5-6 WR's active/game..2-3 WR's may fall to PS..can't wait to camp snap #1..   

26 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Corey Coleman will have to win WR position,he has no ST value

Agreed.  In two years he's really done nothing to show more value than an undrafted FA rookie.

10 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Gordon, Landry, Calloway, Janis, Higgins, Ratley. I really wanted Coleman to be great, but just not seeing it.

The entire BROWNS WR Corp all from Southern or western schools to date, does that say anything about Midwestern football.....or is that just a broad generalization about the game college or pro? Hmmmmm. :huh:

Just for fun, let's assume Gordon will play all year and not get suspended.  Corey won't break his hand, and Antonio Callaway will keep it together.  Knock on wood, Landry is very consistent.  When you look at those four WR's, it's difficult to find a better group in the NFL.  Pittsburgh before they traded Martavis Bryant, for sure...but thank God they traded him.  Even so, they have the best WR and Shuster could be REALLY good as well.  But when you look at the group of idiots we were running with for most of last year, this year's group looks like "All Madden".  The problem is, so many of our WR's have really LARGE question marks, but if we get a little luck (maybe a LOT), we could have a vastly different unit on the field making plays.  

I'm hoping beyond hope that we don't trade Corey Coleman.  I just have this feeling about him.  I completely realize he's been a bust so far, but I just FEEL it.  I don't think Corey can be "the guy", but when he's playing alongside the potential best receiver on earth in Gordon, and Landry who catches 100 passes every year, Corey will probably get the defense's #3 CB and I believe he can win that match up virtually every time.  Additionally, I think we can get him the ball IN SPACE.  Something we haven't done in 2 years because we haven't had the weapons to scare defenses.  I hope I get the chance to see if I'm right.  

If Gordon is healthy and not suspended for 16 all 16 games, he's going to fart 1000 yards.  Njoku could easily double his production, and don't forget about Seth Devalve.  Every time I look at our skill positions I start to scratch my head because we literally went from nothing to...well...SOMETHING.  

48 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The entire BROWNS WR Corp all from Southern or western schools to date, does that say anything about Midwestern football.....or is that just a broad generalization about the game college or pro? Hmmmmm. :huh:

I guess because it's more spread offenses out there. That's a good point though.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Agreed.  In two years he's really done nothing to show more value than an undrafted FA rookie.

What are you talking about? He has graduated from broken fingers to butter fingers!:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

butter fingers!:rolleyes:

I supported him...and his injuries...but when you LOSE us a game against the steelers then you go straight to my doghouse.  He and Hue are BOTH in there (and RG3).  1st and goal, in OT, on the steelers one yard line....and you call a bubble screen...and we lose.  And last year, STANDING...not running or nothin', ALL ALONE, not covered...and you drop a 4th down pass at the steeler eleven, and we lose.  -  Not against the Tennessee Tuxedos, or the Panthers or something...no, THE STEELERS.  That's ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK of the doghouse.

The passing game is what's held us back more than anything else.  And the wr position has been no small part of it.  We haven't had anyone, QB or WR, to scare a defense.  Nobody's known how to get open.  So hopefully Landry is that guy that gets open.  He's been able to do that before.  And really, aside from him we've got a bunch of question marks as to how they may perform.  It could go either way with the wr unit.  It's conceivable that Callaway may not be much help, as rookie wr's many times struggle in their first year in the NFL.  Coleman could continue to underimpress.  Or they may both play fairly well, as might Gordon, and together with Landry we have a good group.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

The passing game is what's held us back more than anything else.  And the wr position has been no small part of it.  We haven't had anyone, QB or WR, to scare a defense.  Nobody's known how to get open.  So hopefully Landry is that guy that gets open.  He's been able to do that before.  And really, aside from him we've got a bunch of question marks as to how they may perform.  It could go either way with the wr unit.  It's conceivable that Callaway may not be much help, as rookie wr's many times struggle in their first year in the NFL.  Coleman could continue to underimpress.  Or they may both play fairly well, as might Gordon, and together with Landry we have a good group.

The mobetta the weapons the harder it is to cover them all. This group has that potential for sure.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:16 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Just for fun, let's assume Gordon will play all year and not get suspended.  Corey won't break his hand, and Antonio Callaway will keep it together.  Knock on wood, Landry is very consistent.  When you look at those four WR's, it's difficult to find a better group in the NFL.  Pittsburgh before they traded Martavis Bryant, for sure...but thank God they traded him.  Even so, they have the best WR and Shuster could be REALLY good as well.  But when you look at the group of idiots we were running with for most of last year, this year's group looks like "All Madden".  The problem is, so many of our WR's have really LARGE question marks, but if we get a little luck (maybe a LOT), we could have a vastly different unit on the field making plays.  

I'm hoping beyond hope that we don't trade Corey Coleman.  I just have this feeling about him.  I completely realize he's been a bust so far, but I just FEEL it.  I don't think Corey can be "the guy", but when he's playing alongside the potential best receiver on earth in Gordon, and Landry who catches 100 passes every year, Corey will probably get the defense's #3 CB and I believe he can win that match up virtually every time.  Additionally, I think we can get him the ball IN SPACE.  Something we haven't done in 2 years because we haven't had the weapons to scare defenses.  I hope I get the chance to see if I'm right.  

If Gordon is healthy and not suspended for 16 all 16 games, he's going to fart 1000 yards.  Njoku could easily double his production, and don't forget about Seth Devalve.  Every time I look at our skill positions I start to scratch my head because we literally went from nothing to...well...SOMETHING.  

Good stuff. I’m hopeful for Coleman too. Mostly because the guy has flashed some skills, and l hate the thought of yet another first round bust.

Another thing going for him, and Higgins and Louis conceivably, is it’s a real young group of receivers. Dorsey seems to like a good balance of vet presence to balance out the rookies, hence the Landry and Janis signings.

Also, if Landry really does do more than slot receiver as Gumby theorized, someone will have to fill that role. Higgins looked good doing it, and conceivably Coleman has the speed, size, and shiftiness to do it. Not sure where Louis fits in, but l hope he turns heads doing whatever that is just cuz l like people named Ricardo.

37 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Good stuff. I’m hopeful for Coleman too. Mostly because the guy has flashed some skills, and l hate the thought of yet another first round bust.

Another thing going for him, and Higgins and Louis conceivably, is it’s a real young group of receivers. Dorsey seems to like a good balance of vet presence to balance out the rookies, hence the Landry and Janis signings.

Also, if Landry really does do more than slot receiver as Gumby theorized, someone will have to fill that role. Higgins looked good doing it, and conceivably Coleman has the speed, size, and shiftiness to do it. Not sure where Louis fits in, but l hope he turns heads doing whatever that is just cuz l like people named Ricardo.

"I like people named Ricardo." LMAO 

Well, I have bad news for Ricardo. Remember last preseason when we kept hearing about how different he looked and how he was primed for a breakout year? Must've been 3 articles about him. He certainly LOOKED the part, but he never put it together. Now, playing with Kizer certainly didn't help, but we all know Ricardo "Skillet Hands" Louis wasn't doing himself any favors. I don't recall how many drops he had, but it seemed like a bunch. 

All indications are that Corey is working hard, and when someone works hard, good things can happen. He's got a real QB (finally), and he's got talent around him to take the load off. Trading him now makes NO sense, EVEN IF Callaway looks amazing. Why? Because Callaway is a wrong move away from major suspension, and we can't risk it. Callaway is also raw, and I don't see us getting ANY value in trading Coleman. I want to see Coleman catching the ball in SPACE and Haley is one of the best at making that happen. Believe me when I say that most teams will HAVE to double Josh Gordon for many plays. That should help SOMEONE get open. 

29 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Why? Because Callaway is a wrong move away from major suspension, and we can't risk it. Callaway is also raw, and I don't see us getting ANY value in trading Coleman. I want to see Coleman catching the ball in SPACE and Haley is one of the best at making that happen. Believe me when I say that most teams will HAVE to double Josh Gordon for many plays. That should help SOMEONE get open. 

Uh JG is also a wrong move away from a permanent suspension.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

What if he then signed Dez Bryant to a 1 year deal? The Browns can afford him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/t-o-participated-in-clevelands-pre-draft-workout-of-josh-rosen/  well they did say Rosen needed to be challenged. still ballin at age 44 

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

Contractually Browns can afford Dez Bryant but can a locker  room  "afford" the possible distractions of a past prime rotational playing Dez Bryant ?

Could be Bryants last hoorah if things go bad.

Gordon - Landry - Bryant is a pretty nice line up.

50 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Could be Bryants last hoorah if things go bad.

Gordon - Landry - Bryant is a pretty nice line up.

Just can't see Bryant as a Brown. He is the opposite of the team building the team is attempting. Bryant would be bitching about not enough targets from day 1.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:33 AM, mjp28 said:

New Orleans has to be very thankful our FO didn't think Ohio State's Michael Thomas was worthy of getting more familiar with. 

Anyway, to your point - I noticed we have 4 WRs that played college ball in Texas. Let's hope things don't go so bad that the video below turns into some Cleveland Browns football follies in their honor:

I see Gordon, Landry, Coleman as our top three with Landy moving to the slot when Coleman is on the field. Coleman should get a lot of good looks because Gordon will get some double teams and Landry has to be accounted for. He will be going against a lot of #3 corners and this is his year to shine.

Calloway is going to be dripped slowly into the offense with some some reverses and home run balls. He will be a special weapon off the bench, and slowly see more action as the season goes on and get more involved.

That leaves "the others" Ratley makes the roster because he was drafted by this administration. Janis makes it as a special team ace.  So who is more usesful, Higgins or Ricardo? I give the edge to Ricardo and his skillset, and perhaps more valuable on special teams. Don't be surprised if Ratley gets "injured" and gets stashed on IR and they both stick for another year.

Zombo

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just can't see Bryant as a Brown. He is the opposite of the team building the team is attempting. Bryant would be bitching about not enough targets from day 1.

This comment made me think about the following: we are in an enviable position at 'WR mindset'. 

We have Gordon and maybe even the recently dad Callaway one suspension away from ending their careers; Coleman, Ricardo and Higgins need to prove they're worth keeping; Ratley is a late round pick and has to earn the position and Janis is in a one year contract.

That leaves Landry "without pressure", but I'd expect a player with a big contract relaxing and not playing as hard maybe in year 3 or 4, but in his first year? I'd say he will show gratitude and bring some of the magic he had in Miami, to say the least. 

10 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Dorsey didn’t draft Coleman so he could be the odd man out , wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded 

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Trading him now makes NO sense,

I agree with both of these statements.

I don't think Dorsey is high at all on Coleman,  based on one of his interviews when he said he expects that Coleman will have a big year this year - in a sense like, He BETTER have a big year.

But I also don't think he's just gonna kick him to the curb to a team who offers a 5th rounder or something.  Our passing attack has been bad.  Anybody that might help it is required on deck this preseason.

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

I don't think Dorsey is high at all on Coleman,  based on one of his interviews when he said he expects that Coleman will have a big year this year - in a sense like, He BETTER have a big year.

But I also don't think he's just gonna kick him to the curb to a team who offers a 5th rounder or something.  Our passing attack has been bad.  Anybody that might help it is required on deck this preseason.

True. You sure don't just want to chuck a former 1st round pick for nothing in return. 

PLUS remember Flash Gordon isn't exactly a trustworthy proven commodity yet......hopefully JG, Landry, Coleman and others all click together if so the BROWNS might have something good going on.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:17 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Uh JG is also a wrong move away from a permanent suspension.

Oh, we're all aware, which is why I probably didn't even say anything.  On PAPER, we have talented weapons who can score the ball and create mismatches.  I can't wait to see if Todd Haley can get Tyrod into position to make it happen.  

On 5/20/2018 at 6:50 PM, Orion said:

That's exactly my point as well.  You KNOW if we traded Coleman we wouldn't get jack squat for him, so what would be the point?  Corey still has vast potential, despite never coming close to realizing it.  The pieces are definitely in place for him to have a breakout season, and I hope he takes advantage of them all.  As I've said before, we have to figure out ways to get Corey the ball in space.  Too many times he had to dive for the ball across the middle, or slow down, or jump...whatever.  I want to see him catch some passes in stride and get some YAC.  It's what he did so well in college, and I firmly believe that translates to the pros.  Don't forget, Corey had multiple terrific catches, especially in the middle, where he had to dive low to make the grab.  We obviously remember the 2 awful, inexplicable drops (the TD against the Bengals, and obviously the last game versus Steelers), but the guy was generally the only WR on the team who made tough catches.  Suffice to say, Kizer didn't do the guy too many favors.  Todd Haley specializes in short passes that maximize yards, and Corey just might have a resurrection because of our new OC.  

I expected nothing from him after each injury. Only way to know what you have is a full injury free season with the time to get established. I felt the same way about Garrett last year after his injury and then Ogbah's. I think we can reevaluate what we have in the Garrett-Ogbah combo when the season is done injury free for both with real DB support to give them more that 2 seconds to arrive at the QB.

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

we have to figure out ways to get Corey the ball in space.

I want to see him catch some passes in stride and get some YAC.  It's what he did so well in college

But this isn't college anymore.  The DB's are better and faster.  He didn't have to run too many routes in college.  (...and Corey, you go long.)   Can he get separation?  Can he create space in the nfl?  -  I hope so -

Archived