THE BROWNS BOARD

Playmakers

Zombo

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Hyde was on a great team.

Saquan WAS the team.

(Also that OSU OL was much better than what Saquan had at PSU. Not saying Saquan is a god or Hyde is trash, just saying it's not close to a 1 to 1 comparison)

They are different.  That does not mean that Sequin Barkley is better.   Hyde will be more of a power runner between the tackles.  A job that Sequin is not as adept at.  He will be more of a passing threat on the exterior.  

But it is still a fact that Hyde had as many or more rushing yards and as many or more TD runs in  college as Charlene Barkley did.   Here are the actual stats for their final season:    Hyde:  208 carries for 1521 yards, 7.3 ypc,  15 TDs;   Barkley  217 carries for 1271 yards 5.9 ypc 18 TDs.   He did have more in the passing game.  Barkley had 54 catches for 632 yard.   Hyde only 16 catches for 147 yards.   Hyde was not needed as much because OSU had Philly Brown and Pittsburgh Brown each catching  60 balls, and Devin Smith catching 40.

So, just what kind of team/OL will he have with the Giants?   He will also be going up against NFL defenses.

Nevertheless,  I don't think Barkley was the PSU entire offense.    They had DeSean Hamilton....good for about 1000 yards receiving.  Mike Gesecki...TE, drafted high...  had 57 catches.  Juwan Johnson,    54 catches for 700 yards.    And Trace McSorley himself ran for about 500 yards.

They were not devoid of talent otherwise.

There’s no doubt our skill positions have been drastically improved, and it’s not a stretch to say that we could possibly have the best WR group in the entire NFL.  The problem is, we have so many QUESTION MARKS with our skill people, that it could very easily revert back to last year in the blink of an eye.

Corey Coleman is definitely up against the heat, but I’m really hoping our team doesn’t trade him.  I desperately want to see what he looks like against a team’s #3 corner back, and I want to see what he looks like with a real NFL QB throwing him the ball.  It’s hard to believe someone can break their hand twice in a row, and Corey is someone who has performed well at practice and in some games.  He has the ability, he just needs to get his head right and catch a break.  He was the first WR drafted for a reason and we need to ride it out a little longer with him, I know it.  Early reports from Browns writers are that Corey is working his butt off and appears ready to go despite a catastrophic ending to last year.

We all know about Josh Gordon and how he’s basically a bad fart away from never playing again, but Antonio Callaway is another guy with a well-documented past, and he’s someone who could be with us, or could be out of the league in an instant.  Although raw, this is a guy who could be a serious contributor right away.  Don’t believe me?  Just wait until training camp.  I have a sneaky suspicion Baker Mayfield is going to be locked in with him. 

That’s three of our biggest possible playmakers with three HUGE question marks.  While I think many would believe it’s time for our Browns to have a bit of GOOD luck, we know the pain and frustration of losing good people that we were counting on, too. 

Our 2018 list of playmakers is why I was so very adamant about signing Alex Smith.  I get that he’s older, and I get we still needed to draft a QB #1, but Alex Smith is a VERY proven commodity when he has playmakers, and what’s more, nobody in the league gets the ball to his receivers IN STRIDE like Alex, and we have a ton of guys who could really shine that way.  Think back to last year…how many times did Kizer hit Corey in stride?  Did Corey have ANY YAC?  Anyway, we got Tyrod Taylor, and I’m extremely grateful for that, I just hope he can distribute the ball the way I have it in my crazy head.

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He is going to be a beast for us for years to come.

You have to make plays to be a playmaker.  I have not seen such plays happen on this team.  So as of now we no playmakers.  Maybe we can discuss after the year is over.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, Zombo said:

OK, Debbie, lets see what we've got here:

"Middle of the pack starter" would be starters 13 through 20 in a 32 team league, no?

Taylor was one of 12 to get his team to playoffs.

16th in comp%, 16th in passer rating, 13th in QBR ... if that's not "middle of the road", I don't know what is ... or maybe you don't?

Gordon was physically dominating the corners covering him last year, Kizer couldn't get him the ball. It will help having a professional QB.

Landry "serviceable" is straight out laughable.

Take the top 3 receivers on each team ... 96 receivers.

Landry was #1 in receptions. #15 in yards, #13 in catch %, #3 in TDs, #7 in first downs

Are you high?

Again 32 teams, he was 13th in yards, 6th in Tds, 5th in receptions.

Chubb "no burst" ... You have never seen him play have, you?

Zombo

high?  No...I actually have the ability to look beyond your stats.  I bet if you are a baseball fan you are still hung up on rbis.....

On 5/15/2018 at 6:37 AM, boo fagley said:

Taylor only needs to move up 6 slots to be average. He doesnt throw for a lot of yards (2500) and his 14 TDs are low like his 4 INTs.  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb Taylor needs to take his TDs and passing yards up a notch and he would quite easily he above average. Say 1500 more yards and 1.5 TDs per game is not asking for the moon.

lmao....if you can see he needs to move up 6 spots to be average I could just as easily say he needs to move down just 6 spots to be in the bottom15%

30 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

high?  No...I actually have the ability to look beyond your stats.  I bet if you are a baseball fan you are still hung up on rbis.....

Big  Baseball fan, can't say I was ever "hung up" on RBIs. Is someone out there hung up on RBIs?

Back to football... sorry you are having problems comprehending things like "receptions" "first downs" and "Touchdowns".

Z

On 5/14/2018 at 6:25 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

Higgins may be a wild card for the wideout room. He had a few good games last year in a slot role. Somebody has to be the main backup for Landry in that role and l think he’s got a shot. 

I actually said something similar. Not only did he have a couple good games, he was one of the few people who actually got OPEN. Kizer missed him so many times, and Higgins really should've had at least 3 more easy touchdown receptions. 

10 hours ago, Zombo said:

Big  Baseball fan, can't say I was ever "hung up" on RBIs. Is someone out there hung up on RBIs?

Back to football... sorry you are having problems comprehending things like "receptions" "first downs" and "Touchdowns".

Z

As for RBIs.....like scoring TDs in football....baseball is all about scoring runs....and knocking them in. So you are goddam right that RBIs are important in baseball.

E.g.   a guy comes up with bases loaded...2 out.  He strikes out.  He get -0- RBIs...the team scores -0- runs.     Alternatively...he hits a grand slam.  He gets 4 RBIs.   4 runs score.    Scoring 4 runs is better than scoring -0- runs.     Fair to say?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

As for RBIs.....like scoring TDs in football....baseball is all about scoring runs....and knocking them in. So you are goddam right that RBIs are important in baseball.

E.g.   a guy comes up with bases loaded...2 out.  He strikes out.  He get -0- RBIs...the team scores -0- runs.     Alternatively...he hits a grand slam.  He gets 4 RBIs.   4 runs score.    Scoring 4 runs is better than scoring -0- runs.     Fair to say?

Runs Batted In (RBI).....from mlb.com

Definition

A batter is credited with an RBI in most cases where the result of his plate appearance is a run being scored. There are a few exceptions, however. A player does not receive an RBI when the run scores as a result of an error or ground into double play.

The most common examples of RBIs are run-scoring hits. However, players also receive an RBI for a bases-loaded walk or hit by pitch. Players can earn RBIs when they make outs, as well, provided the out results in a run or runs (except, as noted above, in the case of double plays).

Along with home runs and batting average, RBIs are a part of baseball's offensive Triple Crown. However, RBIs can be a deceiving stat, as they have been proven to be highly predicated upon circumstance. Players often attain high RBI totals throughout the course of a season simply by batting behind hitters who get on base frequently.

Still, Major League Baseball players place a great importance on RBIs -- and understandably so, because it is their job to produce runs.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, mjp28 said:

Runs Batted In (RBI).....from mlb.com

Definition

A batter is credited with an RBI in most cases where the result of his plate appearance is a run being scored. There are a few exceptions, however. A player does not receive an RBI when the run scores as a result of an error or ground into double play.

The most common examples of RBIs are run-scoring hits. However, players also receive an RBI for a bases-loaded walk or hit by pitch. Players can earn RBIs when they make outs, as well, provided the out results in a run or runs (except, as noted above, in the case of double plays).

Along with home runs and batting average, RBIs are a part of baseball's offensive Triple Crown. However, RBIs can be a deceiving stat, as they have been proven to be highly predicated upon circumstance. Players often attain high RBI totals throughout the course of a season simply by batting behind hitters who get on base frequently.

Still, Major League Baseball players place a great importance on RBIs -- and understandably so, because it is their job to produce runs.

I’m hung up on the fact that we collectively refer to multiple runs batted in as RBIs instead of RsBI. It’s “runs batted in”, not “run batted ins”. That’s like saying passer bys, or lady in waitings. 

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’m hung up on the fact that we collectively refer to multiple runs batted in as RBIs instead of RsBI. It’s “runs batted in”, not “run batted ins”. That’s like saying passer bys, or lady in waitings. 

I would not shoot myself over it.

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

There should be no plural. The plural is already in the acronym. RBI. That's it.

5 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

There should be no plural. The plural is already in the acronym. RBI. That's it.

Yes, same as ERA:

In baseball statistics, earned run average (ERA) is the mean of earned runs given up by a pitcher per nine innings pitched (i.e. the traditional length of a game). It is determined by dividing the number of earned runs allowed by the number of innings pitched and multiplying by nine. Runs resulting from defensive errors (including pitchers' defensive errors) are recorded as unearned runs and omitted from ERA calculations.....

Archived